• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Oh shit, so it's actually good? I was so worried it would just come out and be absolutely forgettable like with Rocko. So glad to hear that's not the case here. Stuck at work for now, but watching it the moment I get home tonight.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
No matter how you feel about the humor, the animation of this movie is seriously top notch. So imaginative.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I am absolutely horrified at the fact that they managed to keep the tone of the show 100% intact all this time later. That was a fun watch and I feel like I should go shop at Hot Topic now.

Mar 9, 2018
I really liked it and the spectacle. But somehow I'm a little disappointed too. I'm having trouble explaining, but I kind of wanted more "meat" to the plot.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
The additional character development to Prof Membrane and Gaz were very much welcome. And I like how GIR was used only just enough without being overbearing (like he was in the original series).

Now I'm also pining for another season. One thing missing from this movie is the lack of aliens outside of the Irkens. I loved that subtle worldbuilding later Zim episodes had like Foodcourtia and the Resisty.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
The gags were great.

lol The alien dialogue was the same as the song Dib was singing along to in Tak's ship.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I am absolutely horrified at the fact that they managed to keep the tone of the show 100% intact all this time later. That was a fun watch and I feel like I should go shop at Hot Topic now.
I wouldn't say 100% but it's close enough. The show has a bleak atmosphere that wasn't at all present here. This was more cutesy.

But it's a movie so I'm perfectly fine with what we got and I hope we get a show continuation on Netflix or something.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I really liked it and the spectacle. But somehow I'm a little disappointed too. I'm having trouble explaining, but I kind of wanted more "meat" to the plot.
Now I'm also pining for another season. One thing missing from this movie is the lack of aliens outside of the Irkens. I loved that subtle worldbuilding later Zim episodes had like Foodcourtia and the Resisty.

That's fair, especially since the prison stuff was pretty short. Though despite all the promises that the rest of Season 2/S3 would have brought stuff like "Invader Dib" and other big shake-ups, the bigger-picture plot stuff was never the core appeal of the show.

Plus, perhaps too many of these cartoon revival specials focus on concluding their series, and I'm fine if this is just a slightly bigger episode, even if it's the last animated Zim thing.

I wouldn't say 100% but it's close enough. The show has a bleak atmosphere that wasn't at all present here. This was more cutesy.

He did kind of drain his neighbor.
ZimDrain.jpg

Last edited:

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it today. Was great. Wish they'd make more.
One thing I noticed, on some scenes you could tell they were trying to save money. Some of them almost looked like animatics.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it today. Was great. Wish they'd make more.
One thing I noticed, on some scenes you could tell they were trying to save money. Some of them almost looked like animatics.
I like how they actually straight up use an animatic in the Florpus scene, but it works as a gag because reality is breaking.

There were a handful of shots that looked tweeny, but the movie looks gorgeous all throughout. They knew when/where to put that budget.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
There were some REFERENCES.

But it was really good. Made me think about rewatching the series again.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I like Vazquez's subtle joke about the Fandom at the beginning with Dib.

Waiting years for more ZIM.

Oct 28, 2017
Wow that was definitely worth the wait. Amazing! Clembrane was perfect. And GIR of course.

"Intruder! Prepare to
Come on in!"

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Was alright. Pretty dang fun to watch and a trip back to my childhood. Though, I'm not sure it's even as good as the series, but it was fun. Noticed in the credits Tyson Hesse did art for this! That's really cool

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
This was AMAZING and I need more.

I like Vazquez's subtle joke about the Fandom at the beginning with Dib.

Waiting years for more ZIM.

And the not so subtle joke about Steve Job's conferences and people going crazy for a device specially if it comes in four different colors.

"All this time trying to subjugate humans and all I had to do was charge them for it" - Zim

The show is old and it stil managed to update it's disdain for consumerism with modern references in a fantastic way.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Loved it. Especially nice seeing Professor Membrane and Gaz (never knew her name was Gazlene until now) get more stuff to do on screen. Professor Membrane's "I'm always proud of you" bit was legitimately heartwarming.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
This was AMAZING and I need more.

And the not so subtle joke about Steve Job's conferences and people going crazy for a device specially if it comes in four different colors.

"All this time trying to subjugate humans and all I had to do was charge them for it" - Zim

The show is old and it stil managed to update it's disdain for consumerism with modern references in a fantastic way.

Yeah I caught that one too.

It does always surprise me that people don't get the subversion that is Jhonen Vazquez. He's worse than Phelous or Rian Johnson when it comes to subverting audience expectations and being meta about the story.

I have literally have had adults tell me that Invader Zim is about liberatarianism. Missing all the anticapitalism and anticonsumerism themes the show posits.

All I can do to that is shake my head.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
enjoyed this film, solid 7 out of 10, not as good as the best episodes from S1 but just happy there's more Zim

OP
OP
Dr Doom

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
They can't handle all this

It took a while to get going, but once his plan went through. It was good.
Love all of it

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
This was everything I wanted it to be, I laughed through most of the runtime. It's kind of amazing to see Richard Horvitz having a moment again between this, Psychonauts 2 and the Destroy All Humans remake.

More Zim, please!

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
This was a blast, but I did miss the more cynical tone of the original. And just as an observation, Richard Horvitz (while still fucking legendary as always) sounded even more high-pitched than usual. This Zim sounded slightly more... cheerful in comparison to me. The original series is still very fresh in my mind considering I just finished re-watching it this morning.

I know Jhonen might not be too keen but I really hope it doesn't stop here.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
This was a blast, but I did miss the more cynical tone of the original. And just as an observation, Richard Horvitz (while still fucking legendary as always) sounded even more high-pitched than usual. This Zim sounded slightly more... cheerful in comparison to me. The original series is still very fresh in my mind considering I just finished re-watching it this morning.

I know Jhonen might not be too keen but I really hope it doesn't stop here.
Maybe a bit more Billy (from The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy) than Zim in some scenes.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
Absolutely fun to watch!! They really delivered, especially since in the LatAm dub they got the VAs for all the major characters back!

How come we don't have an OT for this?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I just saw it and I thought it was great. I thought the set up was getting kinda long in the tooth until Zim teleported the planet and things came together. Everything from there was cash money. I loved all the Professor Membrane stuff. That was always a character I wanted to see more of. And they gave it to me.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy animation. Everything blended so perfectly.

This was much more enjoyable than the recent Rocko's Modern Life movie, which was highly disappointing.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Just got done watching it and holy shit was that incredible from start to finish. It had me laughing my ass off all the way through. Think this is my favorite thing Netflix has released all year.

THEY CAN'T HANDLE OF OF THIS

LMAO 🤣

Merc_

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I just finished watching it and I'm impressed that it really feels like they haven't missed a beat from the old series. It's a shame that we aren't getting more episodes.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really missed Zim, one of the few series that knows how to pull the "so wacky and random xD" jokes without being cringey

Oct 25, 2017
I had to turn it off a few minutes in... I was a fan growing up, but I've not watched the original show in years, so I'm not sure if the humour was always this flat and grating, but yeah, not feeling it.

The Rocko special was also pretty flat, but the jokes didn't turn me off so much, and I was happy that a few of them ended up catching me by surprise by the time it was through.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Thought this was brilliant, I didn't expect much so I surprised how much I liked it. Watched twice the day it cam out first by myself then with my girlfriend.

She really liked it despite never seeing the original.

I would love a full episode in the style of the opening.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched this yesterday and it was awesome.

I only watched the first few episodes when it came out and really liked it. I hope they release a new season of this amazing show.

I really laughed out loud at
Zim: You're ugly when you lie, Dib!
Dib: I'm not lying!
Zim: Then, why are you ugly?
Could use this line in real life. LOL.