• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I feel like none of this is new information. It's good to have it out there but it seems like "pharma execs are the scum of the earth" is a truism at this point. There are good people working on pharmaceuticals, trying to develop new and novel treatments for the people who need them. But the folks at the top, the folks in charge of marketing and sales, are morally bankrupt and represent the worst of humanity.

This need to be repeated. Or we will just end up with antivaxxers and "cancer cure exist they just don't put it out" people running the show.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The tobacco industry got completely devastated by regulation, and heavily relies on overseas markets like China that lack the regulation of the US to remain profitable. Its a shadow of what it used to be.
Thank you for clarifying. I confess I don't know much about it.

The opioid crisis is likely driven entirely by the pharmaceutical industry and any solution that doesn't involve bringing these execs to heel is no solution at all. Republicans are a lost cause. The moral test of Dems will be whether they can reject their Pharma donors and lobbyists.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah of course they knew. It's basically heroin. The biggest drug dealers in the US are big pharma. Why no criminal investigation against this industry? All the powerful medications are just clean versions of street drugs. Adderall = meth, oxy = heroin, etc. These fucks will soon find a way to make psychedelics their inventions for profit when they are finally exposed for how deadly their SSRIs and xanax is.

LOL at the Adderall=Meth descriptions. Some of us actually need it and we don't need people like you stigmatizing out treatment further.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
yeah this is pretty old. I remember hearing this like two years ago.

even crazier IIRC was that it was originally marketed to hospitals BECAUSE of its "low levels of addictiveness". WHICH they KNEW was a lie.

fucking crazy. The FDA fucking failed on this at every point. and that people aren't in prison over it is insane. we'll throw addicts in prison, but not people who are knowingly creating and marketing legally addictive drugs under false pretense.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fact that this isn't criminal is something that needs to be corrected. We need to invent a new criminal category for this kind of malfeasance and then start chucking people in prison for it.

Call it pharmacide or something.

Feb 16, 2018
Of course they didn't care, I'm sure they liked how addictive it was. They can use it to profit off people's addictions. Total scum.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know that Rep. Elijah Cummings wants to launch an investigation into Big Pharma in terms of drug pricing. Would be great if he could expand the investigation.

OP
OP
lacer

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah this is pretty old. I remember hearing this like two years ago.

even crazier IIRC was that it was originally marketed to hospitals BECAUSE of its "low levels of addictiveness". WHICH they KNEW was a lie.

fucking crazy. The FDA fucking failed on this at every point. and that people aren't in prison over it is insane. we'll throw addicts in prison, but not people who are knowingly creating and marketing legally addictive drugs under false pretense.
you might be thinking of a similar case, but this is new - the material comes from recently unredacted documents in a lawsuit MA filed against Perdue in June. as others have said, this is probably pretty standard banter for pharma execs, but it's still kinda shocking to me how flippant these guys talk about a drug that would make a major contribution to a nationwide health crisis. just a callous disregard for anything but the maximum possible profits while being presented with and willfully ignoring the detrimental effects of the product they're selling.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
you might be thinking of a similar case, but this is new - the material comes from recently unredacted documents in a lawsuit MA filed against Perdue in June. as others have said, this is probably pretty standard banter for pharma execs, but it's still kinda shocking to me how flippant these guys talk about a drug that would make a major contribution to a nationwide health crisis. just a callous disregard for anything but the maximum possible profits while being presented with and willfully ignoring the detrimental effects of the product they're selling.
it was definitely this. I might have been mixing up when I heard it (last year instead of two years).

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I am on their medicine and have been for almost 13 years. I remember the first time I was given a prescription, my surgeon made it very clear that it wasn't like the other opioids and that it was impossible to become addicted to the drug. For whatever reason I was incredibly lucky that I don't have a disposition towards addiction. Been on the same dose for the majority of those years. I was also incredibly lucky that my surgeon didn't believe their 12 hour dose claim. Told me every 8 hours with a break through pill at night.

I can't imagine the hell those patients went through that were told to take it every 12 hours. I know for me I barely make it to the 8 hours. The worst part of it all is not the pain that these patients had to endure to make it to the 12 hour time frame but that their doctors didn't listen to them and instead went with the pharma execs marketing materials and just increased the dosage to ensure they were so full of the drug they could make it to the 12 hour interval. Slowly being turned into addicts without any idea and constantly being told it's safe and non-habit forming.

And now because of their carelessness and greed people who are in need of medications have a hard time getting any. Even with my dosage being the same for almost a decade I am still treated by new doctors as a drug addict and need to be tapered off with no cause. The medical community got so stung by what happened they have gone the other way now and everyone that is on them is a possible addict.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Bruh it's meth and btw I got a prescription for it myself and used to take it regularly for adhd. Stuff is basically meth molecules.

9tujr1b0032z.jpg

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
If you think Adderall is meth you should take a pharmacology class. Turns out what might look to the uninformed to be a small difference, say a single CH3, can cause massive changes in how chemicals work especially with regards to a system as complex as the human body.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
If you think Adderall is meth you should take a pharmacology class. Turns out what might look to the uninformed to be a small difference, say a single CH3, can cause massive changes in how chemicals work especially with regards to a system as complex as the human body.

Thank you.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck is this adderall=meth non-sense? If you mean that adderall can be abused, yes that's true, just as many prescription drugs have the potential for abuse. But to compare it to meth is either completely misunderstanding the issue or being disingenuous.

OP
OP
lacer

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it was definitely this. I might have been mixing up when I heard it (last year instead of two years).
there was a heavily redacted version that came out at the end of last month, but most of this document was only made public three days ago. unless the Sackler family CC'd you on these email chains, i think you are unfortunately mistaken.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've done meth several times and it feels just like doing like 180mg of my adderall. I get that there is a difference but it feels the same.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I remember reading about this. Too bad the executives didn't have consciences.

OP
OP
lacer

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i guess at this point nothing is really shocking, but turns out Perdue also wanted in on the opiod addiction treament market too.

Not content with billions of dollars in profits from the potent painkiller OxyContin, its maker explored expanding into an "attractive market" fueled by the drug's popularity — treatment of opioid addiction, according to previously secret passages in a court document filed by the state of Massachusetts.

In internal correspondence beginning in 2014, Purdue Pharma executives discussed how the sale of opioids and the treatment of opioid addiction are "naturally linked" and that the company should expand across "the pain and addiction spectrum," according to redacted sections of the lawsuit by the Massachusetts attorney general. A member of the billionaire Sackler family, which founded and controls the privately held company, joined in those discussions and urged staff in an email to give "immediate attention" to this business opportunity, the complaint alleges.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
We've known this for years. Perdue even got fined for making the false claims of it being non-addictive.