• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Guess after Twitter, Discord is now the go-to tool to make an idiot of yourself.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
OT I was really interested in this game but I think I'll wait until it ends up in a humble bundle or something in a few years. It's really frustrating to see people ignorantly talking about the mental health issues surrounding gender identity and making it out to be something it isn't
think my favourite part is the chestplate; where other designs would emphasis her chest by having a pronounced gap down the middle of her armor, instead she has a fucking skull there.

I really had high hopes for Shelly as a modern answer to the action-movie styled videogame icons of the 90s. As much as I love the Duke games, Duke's persona as laid out in 3D never entirely clicked with me, because he became as much an icon for sleaze as he was for action. I hoped Bombshell could take up the mantle; now she'll always have this hanging over her.

I absolutely agree with how you put Duke.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Seems terminx can't stop digging their heels in. I figured it was a throwaway comment in the morning but they just kept going.

So, let's finally get some all important context.

8f96a0d3-0dd9-4445-9lfk7n.jpeg

Apparently someone pushing an alt-right hate campaign is someone making a "good point":

22fb4940-54ac-4f5f-8ihkof.jpeg

Among numerous other trash:

29227a96-2d8c-4eec-afrkwv.jpeg

Doesn't use social media though, just Twitter:

2df2fbc3-515f-466b-a7rkqd.jpeg

08784cc7-66a1-4841-bi9ksa.jpeg

Doesn't seem to be bothered about mediating anything, just fanning the supporters while they swarm to defend:

f13444ca-9868-4612-bkska5.jpeg

64f9da23-8361-4d29-bevkdb.jpeg

Was just replying rationally on Twitter, but that was a mistake:

fa5df14a-a207-4bdb-ak7k2n.jpeg

ace31185-6188-4e44-9lcj8a.jpeg

b02073bd-739e-47fa-ae6kk1.jpeg

Apology / they don't hate anyone it's all bullshit / they don't dislike anyone that likes their game:

a9bd3bcf-f9c7-46c2-a4pjyv.jpeg

6b440b2d-a4fd-491f-9h8k6m.jpeg

48b26399-53e3-4ff4-9j0k9z.jpeg

Here's the main apology I think terminx would want included:

473b2e07-978a-4ebc-aubkd8.jpeg

Last edited:

Dremo

Oct 27, 2017
Well this is really disappointing. Was about buy this game when I found this thread. With the first few discord messages I gave them the benefit of doubt, maybe they were written out of ignorance. But then them following those people on twitter and even liking some garbage tweets made it all iffy. Guess I'll just follow how the situation progresses.

How's Blood: Fresh Supply for some old school shooter fix?

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Because I actually played a bunch of 2D Duke Nukem before 3D came out, I still sometimes remember this guy:

ztrgfkl1ij7v.png

See, I grew up on Duke 1 and 2, so that's the Duke I always knew.

I'm still holding out hope that one day we'll see a new Duke game that doesn't lean so heavily on the sleaze. Ideally, it'd leave that piece of the formula in the past entirely.

I absolutely agree with how you put Duke.

I'm really glad it isn't just me!

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"none of us are transphobic in any way"

*everyone laughs at screencap of the WHO determining that being trans isn't a mental disorder*

why do i not believe you

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
See, I grew up on Duke 1 and 2, so that's the Duke I always knew.

I'm still holding out hope that one day we'll see a new Duke game that doesn't lean so heavily on the sleaze. Ideally, it'd leave that piece of the formula in the past entirely.

Countless hours spent as a kid playing Duke II with my dad on the family computer. Great memories.

duke-nukem-ii_7.gif

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
It seems that the pewdiepie "I'm too stupid to know who I am following on twitter" still works.

Cowards...

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): admission of/advocating piracy
Pirated the game because I'm evil, glad I didn't give them any money.
Game itself is fine, but it has very eye-rollingly bad immature humor in it, so I'm not surprised the devs suck ass.

MOD EDIT: text reverted

Last edited by a moderator:

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That last quote from the dev in the last image (about "not getting" why it's considered sexist to objectify female characters but not for women to dress the way they want) is pretty damn telling. Selfish, self-centered worldview.
To be fair, it is sexist if a woman puts on sexy/revealing outfits of the kind most men wouldn't put on due to societal pressure, expectations and conditioning. High heels are a prime example. They're uncomfortable, unhealthy and impractical (unless you're going back to their original application of horse riding) and almost no man ever wears them but many women love to wear them and many men love to see them wear them because they've all grown up in a society where high heels are considered sexy and womanly. So one could very well argue that high heels are sexist even when you want to wear them. Just like it's sexist for a Muslim woman to be brought up to never want to leave the house without wearing a hijab. She may end up actually wearing it voluntarily but that doesn't mean that the circumstances that led to her wanting to wear it weren't sexist.

Of course, this doesn't actually defend the comments you were responding to as the person in question was trying to argue that women being more sexually objectified in media than men isn't sexist because real women sometimes put on sexy outfits, whereas I'm more or less arguing the opposite. That being said, it's really only sexist because there's a gender imbalance when it comes to sexual objectification. If men were objectified just as much and encouraged to wear skimpy, revealing clothing just as much as women are, it would not be sexist.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'M sOrRy iF I sAiD aNyThInG tHaT cOuLd bE iNtErPeTeD aS hAtEfUl

in the big book of "how not to apologize" this is item number one

the inclusion of the word "if" is item number two

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
i'M sOrRy iF I sAiD aNyThInG tHaT cOuLd bE iNtErPeTeD aS hAtEfUl

in the big book of "how not to apologize" this is item number one

the inclusion of the word "if" is item number two
"I don't understand what I did but trust me, that somehow doesn't prevent me from being sorry for it, I promise you"

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Game itself is fine, but it has very eye-rollingly bad immature humor in it, so I'm not surprised the devs suck ass.

You are just here to give a bad name to anyone boycotting this game. We see you. Fuck off

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I don't understand what I did but trust me, that somehow doesn't prevent me from being sorry for it, I promise you"

"your feelings are invalid and I think you're an idiot but here's a meaningless word intended to let me be able to pretend that I'm actually doing something other than what it is i'm doing because i am such a tiny little man that moral responsibility scares me"

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
So lucky for you a couple of the devs have revealed themselves to be assholes so you think it's ok to admit to pirating their game here.

Out of curiosity, do you buy the other games you pirate when the devs are not shown to be assholes in the following weeks?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
"none of us are transphobic in any way"

*everyone laughs at screencap of the WHO determining that being trans isn't a mental disorder*

why do i not believe you
I imagine it's not the case here because the term SJW is being thrown around, but a surprising amount of people think that they can do bigoted things and somehow be fundamentally different than the "actual" bigots. Like, you can have say and do the exact same thing as a KKK member but you're somehow different on a immutable level so it's okay.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hendricks shared his thoughts (with the lead-in):

a19488f3-e87e-48a3-a1ikn5.jpeg

Edit: cont.

c47a31c7-a936-483e-apwjhh.jpeg

Twenty5Thousand
Apparently some people on a forum talking about their bad behaviour = to a mob these days lol

Also I don't understand why people don't understand what "witch hunt" means and keep using it wrongly. Or maybe they thought witches actually really existed?

Well sure, I agree that stalking and harassing people is bad especially IRL but so far nothing has happened? Also, all of this is posted on a public discord available for all to see and most of these statements are pretty recent so it's not like someone went through the trouble of digging up stuff from years ago that they don't believe in anymore to stir shit up.

"Vile criminal masterminds"? I have never once thought that, they're just some dudes hanging out on a discord saying some dumb shit. I really doubt that resetEra is going to have any effect on their livelihood.

It's them claiming victimhood. Like how Sarah Sanders told the press herself that she was asked to leave a restaurant, then go on about how the press liked reporting things about her and why did people even know about the incident.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it is sexist if a woman puts on sexy/revealing outfits of the kind most men wouldn't put on due to societal pressure, expectations and conditioning. High heels are a prime example. They're uncomfortable, unhealthy and impractical (unless you're going back to their original application of horse riding) and almost no man ever wears them but many women love to wear them and many men love to see them wear them because they've all grown up in a society where high heels are considered sexy and womanly. So one could very well argue that high heels are sexist even when you want to wear them.
You're trying way too hard here man. this is like the woke version of slut-shaming women for their choice of clothing. you've double-corkscrewed yourself into the default sexist position, just with a more woke justification.

and your hijab story, oof. that's pretty much the same reasoning that leads to laws stating women can't wear Religious Garb X.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Fuuuuuuck this shit.

How hard is it to not be a bigoted asshole? To have some empathy? To be a decent person?

Too hard for these jerk offs apparently.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, it is sexist if a woman puts on sexy/revealing outfits of the kind most men wouldn't put on due to societal pressure, expectations and conditioning. High heels are a prime example. They're uncomfortable, unhealthy and impractical (unless you're going back to their original application of horse riding) and almost no man ever wears them but many women love to wear them and many men love to see them wear them because they've all grown up in a society where high heels are considered sexy and womanly. So one could very well argue that high heels are sexist even when you want to wear them. Just like it's sexist for a Muslim woman to be brought up to never want to leave the house without wearing a hijab. She may end up actually wearing it voluntarily but that doesn't mean that the circumstances that led to her wanting to wear it weren't sexist.

Of course, this doesn't actually defend the comments you were responding to as the person in question was trying to argue that women being more sexually objectified in media than men isn't sexist because real women sometimes put on sexy outfits, whereas I'm more or less arguing the opposite. That being said, it's really only sexist because there's a gender imbalance when it comes to sexual objectification. If men were objectified just as much and encouraged to wear skimpy, revealing clothing just as much as women are, it would not be sexist.
You think you are helping, but you are not.

Just stop.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're trying way too hard here man. this is like the woke version of slut-shaming women for their choice of clothing. you've double-corkscrewed yourself into the default sexist position, just with a more woke justification.

and your hijab story, oof. that's pretty much the same reasoning that leads to laws stating women can't wear Religious Garb X.
The fuck? I'm not slut shaming anyone. I've worn high heels out on the street myself (and I'm a guy) and I wear skimpy clothes on a semi-regular basis. You'll never hear me say that people should wear less revealing/sexy outfits (unless they're unhealthy or highly impractical - like with high heels), if anything, I'd say that men should start wearing those outfits, too. However, as a technical point, I wanted to point out that, if society encourages women to wear these outfits but does not encourage men to wear them, then that is indeed sexist, even if women end up wearing them willingly (and men end up avoiding them willingly).

EDIT: As for the hijab thing, I don't think you can pass laws to forbid people from dressing how they themselves want to dress (unless your outfit includes weaponry) but I do think that society should make an effort to stop harmful and sexist practices. So would I be in favour of laws that ban hijabs and high heels, for example? Of course not. Do I think society should actively work towards making them less common? Definitely. (And there should certainly be a ban on professional dress codes that require employees to wear high heels.)

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently some people on a forum talking about their bad behaviour = to a mob these days lol

Also I don't understand why people don't understand what "witch hunt" means and keep using it wrongly. Or maybe they thought witches actually really existed?
A lot of times witch hunt means that you posted something in a public forum and didn't get the response you wanted.

I think one of my favourite - so to speak - weasel words is "dogpiling". Like, you post something in a forum which is deliberately built so that other people can respond to your comments. What you post is something stupid, so a bunch of people coming across it decide to post a reply calling it stupid, so you accuse them of dogpiling. It's not really any different in terms of behaviour than when you post something good and a bunch of people all respond to it positively, but no one accuses anyone of dogpiling or flooding their alerts in that case because you like that response.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of times witch hunt means that you posted something in a public forum and didn't get the response you wanted.

I think one of my favourite - so to speak - weasel words is "dogpiling". Like, you post something in a forum which is deliberately built so that other people can respond to your comments. What you post is something stupid, so a bunch of people coming across it decide to post a reply calling it stupid, so you accuse them of dogpiling. It's not really any different in terms of behaviour than when you post something good and a bunch of people all respond to it positively, but no one accuses anyone of dogpiling or flooding their alerts in that case because you like that response.

Lol yes. That's also something I see commonly said here and in the old place. It never occurs that they're just wrong or shitty😂

Can you imagine lurking ResetEra just to get mad at it? Talk about wanting to hate fuck something

Many years ago my ex bf and I contemplated on going to this particular church that was very actively sprouting homophobic hate very publicly, just to listen to the shit they say, for one service. Of course we didn't end up going because it was stupid, pointless and would be a waste of time to just make ourselves more angry. These people actually follow through the ridiculous plan and never leave 😂

Oct 28, 2017
So lucky for you a couple of the devs have revealed themselves to be assholes so you think it's ok to admit to pirating their game here.

Out of curiosity, do you buy the other games you pirate when the devs are not shown to be assholes in the following weeks?

Very rarely pirate games. Sorry, didn't think that post through and I've removed it.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
The fuck? I'm not slut shaming anyone. I've worn high heels out on the street myself (and I'm a guy) and I wear skimpy clothes on a semi-regular basis. You'll never hear me say that people should wear less revealing/sexy outfits (unless they're unhealthy or highly impractical - like with high heels), if anything, I'd say that men should start wearing those outfits, too. However, as a technical point, I wanted to point out that, if society encourages women to wear these outfits but does not encourage men to wear them, then that is indeed sexist, even if women end up wearing them willingly (and men end up avoiding them willingly).
Gendered clothing is not sexist, no idea why you're fighting so hard to try and paint it as such. Your argument is utterly surreal concerning the real point about how agency is e difference between a woman choosing as opposed to a man objectifying a video game character.

Real side eye to you with the weird tangent dig at Muslim women too.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
They're claiming they didnt know the people they followed were shitty, but they realize that they liked for example anti-feminism post that everybody can see in their like history, right?

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're claiming they didnt know the people they followed were shitty, but they realize that they liked for example anti-feminism post that everybody can see in their like history, right?
"i'm sorry i don't read what i like on twitter or the words i write my fingers just move and things happen it's crazy hahaha please buy our game"

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gendered clothing is not sexist, no idea why you're fighting so hard to try and paint it as such. Your argument is utterly surreal concerning the real point about how agency is e difference between a woman choosing as opposed to a man objectifying a video game character.

Real side eye to you with the weird tangent dig at Muslim women too.
How is it not? It's a differentiation between people based solely on their gender/sex. That's, like, the definition of sexism. If I go out wearing a gown, people will be giving me very funny looks (best case scenario - worst case scenario, I get beat up), how is that not sexist? At the Cannes Film Festival, women were only allowed to enter if they wore high heels. How is that not sexist? Please, really, do explain to me in detail why you think gendered clothing isn't sexist. Because it evidently is.

It's not a dig at Muslim women, it's a dig at the sexist, misogyinist aspects of many Muslim-majority cultures (like Saudi women only now being able to leave the country on their own). Seriously, please read my post properly. If you do, you'll see that all my criticism is levelled at society, not at individuals. I myself follow many of these nonsensical, sexist rules (like sticking to mostly "male" clothing) because society has conditioned me to do that so if you think that I was criticising Muslim women there, I'd have to criticise myself just as much. (EDIT: The reason I used hijabs as an example is that it was illustrating the same principle with a piece of clothing that isn't considered "sexy" or revealing.)

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Um... That's not the definition of sexism.
"Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex."
I suppose it depends on how you define discrimination. I've always defined it in the more general sense of differentiation, though I can see why you might disagree with that interpretation in this case, fair enough. Though even if you want to use the more colloquial, prejudice-based definition of discrimination, the term sexism still applies in this case.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
I hate that they tried the pull the "I'm autistic. I didn't know any better."

That's not an excuse. Nor is saying one openly trans person saying it's ok in the discord excuses you of all wrong doing.

This is all so shit.

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US
Imagine being non-intellectually or developmentally disabled and telling actual disabled people not to be harmed by retard. Fuck these assholes, they can eat shit. Also, how come Terminx is American but he's somehow bad at English? Quit lying to save your skin and quit drumming up a personal army.

Edit: Ah, he's one of THOSE "Aspies". "please love me im not like those retards that need support kekekekekekek"

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wish I hadn't watched the glowing impressions Digital Foundry video on this game. The game seems to be genuinely great but these devs' behaviour is appalling.

Backlog just got -1 game.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
"Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex."
I suppose it depends on how you define discrimination. I've always defined it in the more general sense of differentiation, though I can see why you might disagree with that interpretation in this case, fair enough. Though even if you want to use the more colloquial, prejudice-based definition of discrimination, the term sexism still applies in this case.
Shaming someone for the way he/she dresses its the sexist part, not the clothes themselves (most of the time).

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shaming someone for the way he/she dresses its the sexist part, not the clothes themselves (most of the time).
It's a never-ending cycle, though. The societal feedback informs what people want to wear which informs what kind of clothing gets made and sold. You can't really separate the clothing from the societal feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.