• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I know this place has fallen so much it's become a Marxist echo chamber. They've defended pedo's masquerading as trans, defended Antifar and only care about outrage.

I don't give a fuck about somebody's feelings trans or not and fuck off with this give up my liberty's just so I can't offend anyone, or heaven help me I assume somebody's gender.

I often imagine that reset is like that DSA conference where the guy dressed like a superhero goes nuts because someone used gendered language OMG how fucking dare someone the word He/She.

Get a fucking life you bunch of SJW's.

#trump2020
#getfukdera
#brexit forever

Btw the devs were right. Look at u all circle jerking with your hate boners haha this place is fucking stupid
L O L

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know this place has fallen so much it's become a Marxist echo chamber. They've defended pedo's masquerading as trans, defended Antifar and only care about outrage.

I don't give a fuck about somebody's feelings trans or not and fuck off with this give up my liberty's just so I can't offend anyone, or heaven help me I assume somebody's gender.

I often imagine that reset is like that DSA conference where the guy dressed like a superhero goes nuts because someone used gendered language OMG how fucking dare someone the word He/She.

#trump2020
#getfukdera
#brexit forever

Btw the devs were right. Look at u all circle jerking with your hate boners haha this place is fucking stupid
Y'all go through the trouble of making an account and changing your default avatar and everything smh

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This thread keeps on going with these idiots.

giphy.gif

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
That's literally what that conversation was. The developer spewed transphobic points at them (the trans member) while another member belittled and insulted them, alongside advocating for beating children. Then the developer nodded to vaccines causing autism and said they aren't surprised that trans people 'off themselves' after surgery.

Full thing below:

I think reading this conversation gave me brain worms. Yikes doesn't even begin to cover it.

I got nothing else to add to this thread except: fuck these guys.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
my favorite part of these threads is the bigots who come out of the woodwork and defend shitty people

The incredible part is there are more people who liked or were excited by the game in question upset about this, meanwhile almost all of the defenders of the devs terrible behavior have demonstrated no interest or knowledge of the game.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
Well, if your point is that an anonymous article of clothing by itself isn't sexist, then I suppose nor does mine, since I was arguing that society conditioning people to wear specific clothing based on their sex/gender was sexist. To get back to my high heels example, a pair of high heels sitting around on the floor, of course, isn't sexist. It could be worn by anyone, no matter their gender. A societal environment that discourages men from wearing them and encourages women to wear them (or often even pressures them into it), though? That is.

You're seriously going to argue that men don't suffer as a result of sexism? Wow. Every single man who does not naturally fit into the stereotypical mold of "real manly man" (which, honestly, who does?) will have suffered as a result of sexism in his life. It's just that said suffering is usually less external and visible than it is for women. Society puts enormous pressure on men to act and appear "manly". To refrain from any kind of behaviour that might make them seem soft or feminine, to bottle up their feelings until they crack,... I'd even say that homophobia is nothing but an extension of sexism and you sure can't tell me men aren't suffering as a result of that.

Emma Watson explained it quite well during her UN speech:

EDIT: And I have not once said anything "anti-Muslim". Are you now going to deny that many Muslim-majority cultures have serious problems with misogyny and homophobia? That's not the religion's inherent fault, of course, (there were points in history when Muslim culture was, in fact, way ahead of Western culture when it came to enlightened, scientific thinking, attitudes towards homosexuality, etc.) but it is the current reality of things (and people in power are abusing religion to keep it that way). Denying it out of some misplaced sense of political correctness isn't going to help anyone, least of all the many people suffering in those countries.

Wow you've literally dragged the conversation away from Voidpoints transphobia and alt right bullshit to arguing that Women exercising their agency is sexist by wearing high heels. You've then made arguments that with sexism literally being defined within social sciences to describe the structural oppression based on gender, the real oppressed are the male suffers as you some times feel "oppressed" because you "can't" wear gendered heels or gowns. Then you start blithering on about how Muslims are misogynistic and Muslim women can never exibit agency, which you brought unbidden when discussing Sexist representation of women in video game character design.

This sexist whataboutism about how men are suffering is a mendacious as white men arguing why can't they say the n word as rappers say it and therefore black are the real racists.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
Men aren't "oppressed" by sexism, but feminism absolutely posits that they are negatively affected by it.
Yeah as it's a awful power structure based on defining about half of humanity (women) as lesser which does negatively effect society/people as a whole, but it is a system predicated on placing men as dominate and women as subordinate.

Otherwise you get weird MRA shit like well men are the ones killed in war = women are beneficiaries of male protection = Sexist oppression not real.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
The incredible part is there are more people who liked or were excited by the game in question upset about this, meanwhile almost all of the defenders of the devs terrible behavior have demonstrated no interest or knowledge of the game.

'I haven't been following this, but [dismissive opinion]' is the natural response of the average bigot asshole.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
But that isn't what sexism actually means or is. I mean, you can redefine things to mean other things so your position makes sense for literally anything.

By the definition you quote there cannot be any sexism against people who do not conform to standard genders, which makes it a non-inclusive and gender normative definition designed to empower a certain group (females) at the expense of all others.

Sexism is discrimination based on sex - which can (as per the laws of reality) happen to any sex. It is not a card that one particular sex gets to hold onto and deny to any of the others while lording it over them.

As someone who is gender non conforming a lot of the feminism stuff is quite offensive and frankly narrow minded.
Yeah sure feminism is the real sexism....
Ignored.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I was on their side for a bit with the copyright stuff but now I think Iron Maiden should have dismantled their game entirely.

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

maikeruRX78

Jan 4, 2018
God, this is thoroughly disappointing. I remember seeing... I think Ben or Rorie play this on UPF many months ago and wanting to get it. That combined with the reviews from Clint/LGR and Matt McMuscles had me thinking of freeing up some cash from my limited budget and... Welp.

What a damn shame.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
I think you're painting their argument in a far worse light than is warranted. They are saying society enforcing the use to high heels, a very unconfortable and potentially harmful footwear, on women because of some standard of beauty, is sexist. I think few feminists would disagree with that.
It is but also it's irrelevant when the oppressed group reclaim the word/object. Otherwise you're arguing Gay men are the real homophobs for being "camp", reclaiming the word Gay, or Black men in america are the real racists when they reclaim as a form of empowerment the N word.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell

#trump2020
#getfukdera
#brexit forever

He's going to screencap and fecking print this stuff so he can show all the other 13yos how he totally owned this den of nerds, isn't he?

Over a year and a half and 1110 posts of deep undercover ops, all for this glorious moment that will surely grant him popularity with the opposite sex for life.

Era may never recover from this blow.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
so have any big news outlets picked this up? seems like a big deal on the level of the 8chan ama, except with even less of an attempt at apologizing

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imagine getting as riled up as ManixMiner here over people deciding to not buy your favorite entertainment products

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame they couldn't just make a fun 90s shooter without bringing politics into it.

It's a shame they couldn't just be decent people.

Honestly, people shouldn't bother replying to those who are either here to troll or so profoundly stupid that they truly believe what they are saying.

While the replies may be pointless to the trolls and morons, I think they are helpful for those on the sidelines. Over the years a lot of my bad opinions were influenced by people taking the time to call out the BS.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It is but also it's irrelevant when the oppressed group reclaim the word/object. Otherwise you're arguing Gay men are the real homophobs for being "camp", reclaiming the word Gay, or Black men in america are the real racists when they reclaim as a form of empowerment the N word.

If Harlequin argued that women are the real sexists for reclaiming high heels, then sure; but Harlequin seems to be arguing that society making women wear high heels is what is sexist.

Note however that we're getting into the supremely murky territory of internalized sexism. To what extent does a woman that wants to wear high heels, do so because she genuinely thinks they look good, versus because that's what society has always ingrained into her that's what looks good on women? This may sound condescenting, but it's not: the vast majority of our opinions are formed by the society we live in, whether we like or notice it, or not. You cannot "shed societal values" and form your own opinion on anything any more than you can measure an object's speed without a frame of reference.

Also, reclaiming a piece of clothing that is actually, literally harmful to one's health (and that is still mandatory for women in many jobs and contexts) is not quite the same as reclaiming a word, which actively defangs it.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

#trump2020
#getfukdera
#brexit forever

AggressiveBouncyImperatorangel-small.gif

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

#trump2020
#getfukdera
#brexit forever

LOL, get fucked idiot

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It's impressive we have people with like hundreds, some with over a thousand, posts here that are such pieces of shit.

#trump2020
#getfukdera
#brexit forever

Bye loser.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
If Harlequin argued that women are the real sexists for reclaiming high heels, then sure; but Harlequin seems to be arguing that society making women wear high heels is what is sexist.

Note however that we're getting into the supremely murky territory of internalized sexism. To what extent does a woman that wants to wear high heels, do so because she genuinely thinks they look good, versus because that's what society has always ingrained into her that's what looks good on women? Society forms the majority of our opinions, whether we want it or not. Reclaiming a piece of clothing that is actually, literally harmful to one's health (and that is still mandatory for women in many jobs and contexts) is not quite the same as reclaiming a word, which actively defangs it.
Yeah but we're doing this bullshit heel tangent because Harlequin decided that this was trenchant to women reclaiming sexualised wear in slut walk protests in an attempt to show women using agency is not actually reclaiming problematic symbols, in line with Voidpoints argument: Hurr durr Women wear slut things but get mad at us if we (male artists/developers) sex up our female character.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow you've literally dragged the conversation away from Voidpoints transphobia and alt right bullshit to arguing that Women exercising their agency is sexist by wearing high heels. You've then made arguments that with sexism literally being defined within social sciences to describe the structural oppression based on gender, the real oppressed are the male suffers as you some times feel "oppressed" because you "can't" wear gendered heels or gowns. Then you start blithering on about how Muslims are misogynistic and Muslim women can never exibit agency, which you brought unbidden when discussing Sexist representation of women in video game character design.

This sexist whataboutism about how men are suffering is a mendacious as white men arguing why can't they say the n word as rappers say it and therefore black are the real racists.
Honestly, at this point the only thing I can tell you is that you should work on your reading comprehension skills because most of what you've said is plain false and that would be apparent to you if you had read my posts properly. I have never once claimed that men are the "real oppressed" or that men are more oppressed than women or any such nonsense. I have also explicitly stated that it's many of today's Muslim-majority cultures that are misogynist, not the religion itself (to be perfectly honest, I'm not knowledgeable enough about the religion to be able to make those kinds of statements about it). And the only reason that even came up was because people were trying to conflate my using the hijab as an example for gender-specific clothing with me supposedly being islamophobic. Otherwise I never would've been forced to even get into that subject (and if I had known this is where it would lead, I probably would've used a different example). And again, I never once said that women should not be able to wear whatever they want to wear or that they should feel guilty about dressing any which way. Quite the opposite. So yeah, you're free to interpret my posts however you want but if that's what you took away from them, you got it very, very wrong.

But yes, the one thing you are correct about is that this discussion has distracted too much from the actual topic of this thread. I do apologise for that but I'm sure people will understand that I can't just not reply when others keep trying to paint me as some islamophobic nutjob who thinks women have it easier in life than men. I'll try to avoid continuing this tangent from now on and I hope others will, too. (If there's some point you absolutely must argue me on, feel free to shoot me a PM.)

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
This redneckerz guy is like the typical case of a clingy insecure ex who can't take no for an answer / can't accept that he got booted the fuck out of his relationship, so years later he still obsesses about it, stalks their ex and badmouths them all the time. He got banned like more than a year ago from here, then made a career out of obsessing about resetera over at the other site, then got banned there too. Now he's publicly bitching about it on discord. I don't throw the term "pathetic" around lightly, but this guy is the embodiment of a pathetic loser.
I thought was sad but funny the first thing I see of him after a long time is using "REEsetera" when what I most know him for personally is banning him from a Discord server I modded for being rude and condescending to my autistic friend

I know this thread isn't about a singular chode but damn I had to share that

teanne

Aug 17, 2019
Steam gave me a refund after more than 14 days after I purchased, so if you're inclined to refund, I think it's worth a shot or a few.

It's a good game, but pretty hard to stomach playing through with the knowledge that these people are alt right edgelords.

Also there's some dialogue when you find a secret that goes something like "that's a blue lives special!" and the whole thing where you're playing as a cop just blowing away criminals. Without the context it seemed like satirical 90s action movie stuff, and with what the op brought to light -- it's still played as that but just kinda feels weird now.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
So I just googled "Ion Fury" and there doesn't seem like anyone is picking up on the story?

In the end this is just stuff some people said on their own Discord server, some of it months old. I doubt games journos hang around indie dev's servers and read them all on the off chance someone shits the bed, so I imagine this won't get much momentum unless folks reach out to them. Plenty of them on Era, could also drop them a line on Twitter.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm so mad this game is tainted now... I thought this year was going to be a good year for shooter, but everything has been a disappointment.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so mad this game is tainted now... I thought this year was going to be a good year for shooter, but everything has been a disappointment.

If you have a Turing card I'd highly recommend Quake 2 RTX. Impressive how good the level design holds up to this day and the lighting and shadows are just mind blowingly good.

On topic: glad I saw this thread before buying the game, I was planning on picking it up on sale after seeing it on Digital Foundry. Removed it from my wishlist earlier today. Fuck these devs, the context from their Discord chat just makes everything even worse IMO.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. For those among us that watch the streamer DansGaming, he just found out about the controversy via steam reviews, made an off-hand remark about the 'politics' of the few reviews mentioning the devs' transphobia, and proceeded to buy the game. He is playing it right now. I am so disappointed. I subbed to this guy previously. Now I unfollowed. Bleh.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa

#trump2020
#getfukdera
#brexit forever

Dawg, if you're going to have yourself deliberately permabanned, the least you could do is have a coherent ragequit. Now you just look as stupid as those you ideologically align yourself with :(

Status
Not open for further replies.