• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
cool that they are donating to trevor project, but yeah, i am pretty skeptical that the devs themselves would have a change of heart this quickly after a whole weekend of doubling down. this reads like a cover your ass statement from the publisher more than any of those who had actually been posting offensive stuff having any kind of true remorse beyond getting caught.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Good on them. I might get the game on a sale now once they patch out the offensive content.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where does this "resetera harbors pedophiles" come from? Seems to be the new rage, and showed up in this very thread.
Amirox.

Which is fucking hilarious because they were never even a member here in the first place and everyone here thinks they are scum.

The alt-right KiA types however still pin that on this website.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we should get too hyped about sensitivity training. If the lessons of the training aren't reinforced by direct management then it just becomes a joke at the office. My old job had that and for the next six months it was all the rotten people could talk about, making "jokes" that violated the "new rules."

For sure it won't do anything for the internal culture, but along with the apology and donation it does send a signal that 3DRealms takes this seriously. I don't expect the devs in question to stop being shitlords but I do expect that they will know better than to antagonize their publisher. Personally I don't give a damn about their private feelings as long as they know better than to voice them publicly.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand it's just some bullshit story that some Trolls from the old place made up by taking some out of context comments from the Era discord and hold it up as some pathetic attempt at a "gotcha". There is nothing to it as far as I can tell. It's just the little kids trying to find an excuse to justify their obsession with Era. It's as if they completely forgot what Evilore did. They should be more concerned about being on a site ran by a racist sexual assaulter in my opinion, but thats asking too much I guess.
Bizarre, since I'm pretty sure Amir0x never posted on Era from jail.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That's literally what that conversation was. The developer spewed transphobic points at them (the trans member) while another member belittled and insulted them, alongside advocating for beating children. Then the developer nodded to vaccines causing autism and said they aren't surprised that trans people 'off themselves' after surgery.

Full thing below:

"Pre 18 I was a dumb little shit".

The more things change...

Artorias

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised they apologized instead of pandering to the more unsavory characters in their fanbase. It would have been so easy for them to.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I'm genuinely surprised they apologized instead of pandering to the more unsavory characters in their fanbase. It would have been so easy for them to.

this was most likely 3D realms stepping in and telling the transphobic manbabies to shut up and try to do damage control

the tweets by the voidpoint dev shows that they clearly are not interested in learning anything and are using any excuse to hold onto their proto-fascist beliefs

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised they apologized instead of pandering to the more unsavory characters in their fanbase It would have been so easy for them to.
Yeah I agree. They could have easily just stayed silent and refused to acknowledge that they were wrong, but they actually stepped up and owned it. And they went further and decided that they are gonna take some offensive stuff from the game as well.

This is how it should go everytime. Hopefully other Devs take note.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to Imran for following through on this and getting a response.
And thumbs up to 3D Realms for making what's actually a good response. It's really way beyond what one expects these days.
I don't think the people behind the game are any better today than they were yesterday (we certainly haven't seen any indication that any of them used the weekend for reflection or to take responsibility), but as far as a corporate apology dictated by the publisher, that seems to cover all the bases.

Hopefully the team will pursue actual growth now, or 3DR will simply not work with them in future.
Pretty much.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This is nice news to come back to, well written statement and the subsequent training and donation are a positive step toward what they allege they're setting out to achieve with the company moving forward.

Also worth noting that they would have been very cognisant of the fact that this would fly in the face of a lot of their fostered Discord community and fans..

..which took the news about as you'd expect:

3DR mods are actively shutting it up as and when it pops out but this wasn't a consequence free decision for them with what they'll have to invest in in managing that community.
Glad I can consider buying this game again

Even more glad that the manbabies who endorse this shit are babyraging that they got called out on their stupidity. Serves em' right.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yeah I agree. They could have easily just stayed silent and refused to acknowledge that they were wrong, but they actually stepped up and owned it. And they went further and decided that they are gonna take some offensive stuff from the game as well.

This is how it should go everytime. Hopefully other Devs take note.
With the timing and all they really could have just said nothing, the whole week is gonna be covered with other gaming news, it just makes it better that they did and went the extra mile there.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
People don't learn empathy over night so I doubt much has changed there
Whoever was responsible for actually doing something about it deserves credit.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a good apology. Steamspy shows a peak at about 1.4k players since the game's release, and with the game costing $25, $10k of the first-month revenue is a very considerable amount.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Good apology.

The bigoted community members are having a meltdown, and the devs seem like there on the edge of exploding.
85ruQF7.png

Maybe there publishers gave them a good talking too?

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Apology is miles better than the shit CDPR, GOG & THQN pulled and I'm positively surprised that they're even donating a bunch of money, but honestly if they're not firing the fucks that spouted the bullshit, I don't think anything will change and they'll just keep being transphobic & homophobic scumbags just without publicly spouting their shit on Discord & Twitter. Would be seriously disappointed, but not surprised, if people will just accept it because they donated some money & promised training and go back to supporting the devs even though they're still working there and 100% haven't changed their bigoted views.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
The fans are acting about as sane as you would expect but the staff have at least not engaged them with it this time so that's a start.

ThydCyf.png

3JqGvrL.png

Gg1jFDT.png

k0oxb7B.png

37J3Qxz.png

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Good apology.

The bigoted community members are having a meltdown, and the devs seem like there on the edge of exploding.
85ruQF7.png

Maybe there publishers gave them a good talking too?

Censored means removing offensive content....so isn't it censored by definition?
Censorship isn't necessarily negative, and its not like they're removing all the swearing and gore etc *shrug*

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
That's a good apology and I'm incredibly happy that they issued it. I was hyped as hell for Ion Fury, loved the preview campaign, and was really enjoying the final release... then this scandal happened I fell off completely. It's hard to enjoy something once it becomes associated with bile. I don't know if that taint can ever fully go away, but this does make a big difference.

It's nice to see that someone in a position of authority at 3DR or Voidpoint actually gives a shit about an important issue like this. Even if the individual developers don't change or improve (lmao at the notion of corporate training fostering any empathy at all), it's still infinitely better than the standard responses of "lay low until everything blows over" and "double down".

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Apology is miles better than the shit CDPR, GOG & THQN pulled and I'm positively surprised that they're even donating a bunch of money, but honestly if they're not firing the fucks that spouted the bullshit, I don't think anything will change and they'll just keep being transphobic & homophobic scumbags just without publicly spouting their shit on Discord & Twitter. Would be seriously disappointed, but not surprised, if people will just accept it because they donated some money & promised training and go back to supporting the devs even though they're still working there and 100% haven't changed their bigoted views.

I am hoping they don't fire them and they give them training, hopefully it will change their outlook on life and make them feel more empathy for people and most importantly change their horrible views.

I would rather that than just fire them and let them loose without learning anything from the experience, if anything it might even make them more bigoted because when people like that are hurt they just lash out even more as an emotional reaction.

I believe they can change and become better people from this experience and if they don't and the training doesn't work then I think firing them would be an acceptable outcome.

I just like to believe that sometimes, even the worst of people can become better, maybe I am too optimistic but that's the way I prefer to see things because the alternative is me believing these people aren't capable of change and that's not something I like to believe as it paints a very morbid picture.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that the devs hid slurs in the game itself makes it all the more clear that their language in Discord is no accident.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I only found out about this game from a Digital Foundry video I watched the other day and was looking forward to the game, I am shocked to have seen what has been said by some people involved in the game.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Wait, they found anti-gay and anti-trans slurs in the game itself too? That's just fucked up and basically proves the devs in question did not care about their actions or statements. Fuck these people, I can't get a refund because I am way passed the time played threshold.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm stoked that my optimism wasn't misplaced in this case. The apology is excellent, the changes are even better and the donation is an unexpected bonus.

Are the people involved really sorry? Well, who knows. Maybe not. But this is really the best case scenario. To have hoped for much more than this wouldn't have been very realistic.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they found anti-gay and anti-trans slurs in the game itself too? That's just fucked up and basically proves the devs in question did not care about their actions or statements. Fuck these people, I can't get a refund because I am way passed the time played threshold.

I contacted Steam Support with a ticket and they refunded me despite buying it in 2018. It's worth a shot.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tbh the "censorship" chat happens in any of the pedophile anime games this forum gushes over so I'm not surprised.

Apology was... good? No excuses? Mandatory training and zero tolerance? These are good things.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
No anti-trans in-game afaik, that was the discord

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I don't buy the apology. It reads more like it comes from the higher ups at 3DRealms than Voidpoint. The constant denial from VoidPoint devs and saying things were taken out of context, only to find that the context is of course worse, and then finding the bigotry in the actual game is a trend from the dev team and there's no doubt much, much more bigotry from them in that discord or elsewhere. And then of course you have the community they harbor in that discord.

"We unequivocally apologize both for these comments and language as well as for any pain they have caused the gaming community, particularly women and members of the LGBTQ community. We take full responsibility for any damage that has been done to the relationships we've worked so hard to build. "

I question how much they even cared building a relationship with the LGBTQ+ community to begin with. What bridge was there if the community you harbor are making transphobic and homophobic jokes and rhetoric and the devs themselves even joining on it.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
Its very odd that the company in question absolutely doing the right thing, is 3D Realms, the company that as far as I'm aware, really made its name for itself with Duke Nukem, of all characters.

However I absolutely am here for the publisher putting their foot down, and making the company backtrack its statements, and donate tot he trevor project.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I don't buy the apology. It reads more like it comes from the higher ups at 3DRealms than Voidpoint. The constant denial from VoidPoint devs and saying things were taken out of context, only to find that the context is of course worse, and then finding the bigotry in the actual game is a trend from the dev team and there's no doubt much, much more bigotry from them in that discord or elsewhere. And then of course you have the community they harbor in that discord.

"We unequivocally apologize both for these comments and language as well as for any pain they have caused the gaming community, particularly women and members of the LGBTQ community. We take full responsibility for any damage that has been done to the relationships we've worked so hard to build. "

I question how much they even cared building a relationship with the LGBTQ+ community to begin with. What bridge was there if the community you harbor are making transphobic and homophobic jokes and rhetoric and the devs themselves even joining on it.
oh, the apology totally comes from 3DR, not voidpoint. the tone of it tho, does make me believe they are on very thin ice with 3DR, and will probably shut up about it, if they actually change their ways or not.

Balmung421

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Good response from Voidpoint. Game is genuinely a joy to play and I am elated that bullshit is going to be patched out.

Status
Not open for further replies.