• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
So in your mind, there is absolutely no path to redemption?
I haven't seen any of the developers change as people, that's when they are off the shitlist. I also didn't see any statement from Voidpoint specifically, it was 3DR that took care of it for them.

When they show they actually grew up, I'll start supporting them again.

Just an update to this, Terminx has been removed from the Duke4 discord following some protracted issues between him and Hendricks wherein Terminx tried to fire him because Terminx didn't want to own up to being a dickhead and claimed Hendricks "destroyed the company" by making the apology

hilarious if true

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I am for closing this thread as well. If you search hard enough, you will always find bigots bickering about us. There is no need to give them the attention they so crave.
I was going to agree with this, but Anton 's update seems notable. If we don't hear anything out of them for a few days it may be worth considering closing the thread though.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Just an update to this, Terminx has been removed from the Duke4 discord following some protracted issues between him and Hendricks wherein Terminx tried to fire him because Terminx didn't want to own up to being a dickhead and claimed Hendricks "destroyed the company" by making the apology
Thanks for the update. Hendricks seemed rather sensible to me in the original discussion too (from the few comments that were shared here atleast), saying that "let others have their opinions" doesn't apply when someone is a bigot. So I'm not that surprised to hear that Hendricks was in favor of the apology. Even if he also claimed that the discussion was taken out of context, as the context didn't make it any better at all. I can understand bit of defensiveness in a situation like this.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Seems you're referring to just Duke4 and not Voidpoint, right?
Would be useful to clarify to avoid speculation or rumour.

That discord sure is something reading back lol. Steam review Era takes in IM form.

Edit:
No idea on the legitimacy of the Duke4 take but to avoid confusion:
(From the 3D Realms Discord, not Duke4).
4656172c-117b-4878-adpkgt.jpeg
Probs best not to drop large semi-ambiguous takes without evidence and leave before clarifying..

Last edited:

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I kinda wish there was something we could do to offset the amount of harassment 3DR is now getting for doing the right thing. The Steam forums are just filled at this point with garbage, and somebody said they had to shut off or close their Discord. That's actually nuts, and I worry that it's kind of punishing them for doing the right thing.

The cold hard reality is that they probably didn't realize that they had cultivated a community like this. You just go on, make games, and entertain people, but you don't prod your community enough to know, exactly, how they might respond to something like this. Then you do the right thing thinking "Yeah, some people are going to be mad, but not very many" and it turns out a reasonably large portion of their community thinks this move is tyrannical censorship.

I genuinely feel bad for 3DR/VP at this point. They did a really shitty thing, but they apologized and at least are trying to get on the road to making it right, and their reward? To be cannibalized by their own community. It would be easy to say "Hah, well, that's what you get!", and there's a nugget of truth in that, but it sucks that the result of all this might actually teach them the wrong lesson. The people on Steam who are trying to cut through the bullshit and point out that Ion Fury is a dope game with or without a soap bottle texture are getting shouted down pretty hard.

I mean, I'm sure the game is selling extremely well; but I feel like the real news story now is "Developer tries to make right; gets attacked by their own community" and should be picked up by newswires. The support shouldn't end when you do the right thing, it should begin.

This is why you see cowardly devs and publishers saying their games aren't political. They are afraid of offending shitheads who unfortunately make up a sizable portion of the gaming community.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Given that there was a resolution on this matter and the fact that the thread is focusing more on speculation at this point, we have opted to close the thread. If there is any significant news update, feel free to create a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.