• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Not interested in financially supporting people who help spread hate on their public Discord. Unfortunate, since I genuinely liked what I saw of their game.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit that is blatant.

Was looking at that game pretty hard. Fuck it now, got plenty of other shit to play.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
i mean, the op of this thread literally made this thread because he didnt got his witch hunt in the game threads. He stated it in this op. He kept bringing this up, but the mobs werent forming. So he got ambitious and made a whole dedicated thread.

Where on Earth did they find all that ambition. Such a tremendous amount of effort.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
They are so stupid and vile that it blows their minds that somebody could be altruistically interested in the wellbeing of other people different to oneself. They can just not live with that thought.
That's exactly what it is, thanks for putting out in words. Reading OP almost made me puke. I don't care for the game but as always there's gotta be disappointing news from the gaming community, it's excruciating painful for me to be a lgbtq around videogames communities.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
What I have to say may seem OT, but hear me out.

When I see these blips pop up in gaming forums and Discord channels, I think of the below Twitter thread, which popped up shortly after some recent shootings in the USA. NOTE: I AM NOT SAYING THIS GAME STUDIO IS A WHITE SUPREMACY FRONT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM. With that out of the way:

I'm sad to see this game dev lean on the ttttttirrrrrreeddddd slur that is "SJW," because it slots so neatly into exactly this kind of indoctrination. Classic gang mentality. Stuff like this gets kids to ally together in a private-club, meme-filled manner, then get dunked on quite aggressively in public (including, yes, this forum), then recoil in horror about what dickbags other people are who "don't get it."

I say to these people, who might browse over to ResetERA for whatever reason: yo. I'm here. So are other folks. Happy to talk about wtf dese dumdum liburls are going on about. What feminism has meant historically. How social media platforms (and YT) are being gamed in recent years to make extreme political views seem like they're being organically held and wielded on a non-stop basis, in order to manipulate all sides. How there's a lot of bullshit obscuring a basic, kindhearted goal of people just being decent to each other, and marginalized groups finally getting a louder voice in a digital age to speak truth to power.

Whether y'all buy this game or not, that's not my concern. I'm more interested in getting to the heart of this conflict for an average kid who stumbles into a gaming discord or forum and wants to make bad guys out of everyone. I'm easy to find, samred on the tweeters, if you wanna talk publicly, or DM me here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
yeah. while he doesn't say anything questionable, him being there feels bad. disappointed, buy not to the degree i am with Ion Fury.
I mean just because he is in that discord you don't have too be disappointed in him, he probably doesn't check it constantly and see the terrible stuff the devs say

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
If I had to guess, they probably didn't think it would be of any consequence if people found this stuff. They seem to think that "SJW's" are a small vocal minority whose opinions aren't worth caring about, so in light of that why would they filter out their opinions if it's only a small minority that would object?

Won't stop them from getting mad if this stuff blows up in their face I bet.

Also entirely possible they're just dunces and didn't give this any thought at all.
I'm sure its a combo of lacking forethought and believing they're safe in doing so. Given how prolific some of the worst, most vile youtubers and "anti-pc/anti-sjw" voices there are out there, it wouldn't surprise me these folks think ascribing to the same rhetoric is somehow acceptable.

I really wonder what these dev's twitter follows are.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
i mean, the op of this thread literally made this thread because he didnt got his witch hunt in the game threads. He stated it in this op. He kept bringing this up, but the mobs werent forming. So he got ambitious and made a whole dedicated thread.
And I'm glad they did, because the "opinions" the devs are sharing are hateful, disgusting, petty little thoughts that do actual real harm to people just trying to exist like the rest of you.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
"SJW" is pretty useful. As soon as I see someone use it unironically that I can just immediately ignore anything they say.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who would the Iron Maiden devs be? Steve Harris' parents? oO

maxresdefault.jpg

Edit: tbf I forgot that Ion Maiden changed the name also

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'm not surprised fans of Duke Nukem have some questionable views. I like DN3D but it sure is a bit hard to go back these days.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
As soon as someone uses the word SJW in a derogatory way, I know immediately that they aren't worth my time.

Oct 25, 2017
What I have to say may seem OT, but hear me out.

When I see these blips pop up in gaming forums and Discord channels, I think of the below Twitter thread, which popped up shortly after some recent shootings in the USA. NOTE: I AM NOT SAYING THIS GAME STUDIO IS A WHITE SUPREMACY FRONT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM. With that out of the way:

I'm sad to see this game dev lean on the ttttttirrrrrreeddddd slur that is "SJW," because it slots so neatly into exactly this kind of indoctrination. Classic gang mentality. Stuff like this gets kids to ally together in a private-club, meme-filled manner, then get dunked on quite aggressively in public (including, yes, this forum), then recoil in horror about what dickbags other people are who "don't get it."

I say to these people, who might browse over to ResetERA for whatever reason: yo. I'm here. So are other folks. Happy to talk about wtf dese dumdum liburls are going on about. What feminism has meant historically. How social media platforms (and YT) are being gamed in recent years to make extreme political views seem like they're being organically held and wielded on a non-stop basis, in order to manipulate all sides. How there's a lot of bullshit obscuring a basic, kindhearted goal of people just being decent to each other, and marginalized groups finally getting a louder voice in a digital age to speak truth to power.

Whether y'all buy this game or not, that's not my concern. I'm more interested in getting to the heart of this conflict for an average kid who stumbles into a gaming discord or forum and wants to make bad guys out of everyone. I'm easy to find, samred on the tweeters, if you wanna talk publicly, or DM me here.

I've said this when it came up in the past, but, I get it. In high school, I was one of those people. White male gamer, felt like an outcast, visited 4chan daily, said really horrible things about people I didn't understand, and was constantly reinforced by my peers online and anyone else I knew who I felt was in on it. It wasn't until college that I met people that turned me around, and before that, I alienated a lot of potential friends over the disgusting way I acted.

It takes a ton of time and willingness to learn to undo the conditioning but it is possible to teach people who seem lost the value of their words and actions and how they can use them to help rather than hurt.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that sucks, because the game's actually really good. Came into this thread not expecting things to be this bad.

Hendricks shared his thoughts (with the lead-in):

a19488f3-e87e-48a3-a1ikn5.jpeg
Oh, they're the type that likes to think that hate speech is okay because of the first amendment.

Their English seems fine to me, and I don't see how there could be a context in which these posts aren't fucked up.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What possible context is there that makes their comments okay?

No one is trying to police opinion here, no one. They have every right to spew whatever horrible shit they want to, and we have every right to call it out for the harmful, malicious hate that it is.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Remember guys that while he has some opinions you may or may not agree with, he has not hurt anybody, lets not transform this thread into a witch hunt
I just want to reiterate that transphobia does in fact hurt people. Regardless of how you feel about dog pilings, boycotts, free speech, etc., you need to understand that. Hopefully you figure that out when you come back in a week.

Oct 28, 2017
I used to browse the Duke4 forums a decade ago since I'm into the Duke/Doom modding community and TerminX was always a bigoted turd. When I saw years ago he was one of the leads in Ion Fury I knew he wouldn't be able to keep his mouth shut and stir shit up sooner or later.

From a thread back in 2011 about Duke Nukem Forever reviews:

[mod edit: decade-old forum posts aren't helpful for this discussion]

Last edited by a moderator:

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I really hate this "sharing information to make informed decisions about the kind of people that work on the products you buy = cancel culture" culture

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
It's going to be interesting seeing whether these devs decide to continue this malarkey or publicly apologize. Not really interested in this blowing up though because I don't necessarily see this being '' bad '' for the devs or the game. Gaming community be like that.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Hendricks shared his thoughts (with the lead-in):

a19488f3-e87e-48a3-a1ikn5.jpeg

Edit: cont.

c47a31c7-a936-483e-apwjhh.jpeg

Twenty5Thousand
Well sure, I agree that stalking and harassing people is bad especially IRL but so far nothing has happened? Also, all of this is posted on a public discord available for all to see and most of these statements are pretty recent so it's not like someone went through the trouble of digging up stuff from years ago that they don't believe in anymore to stir shit up.

"Vile criminal masterminds"? I have never once thought that, they're just some dudes hanging out on a discord saying some dumb shit. I really doubt that resetEra is going to have any effect on their livelihood.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I used to browse the Duke4 forums a decade ago since I'm into the Duke/Doom modding community and TerminX was always a bigoted turd. When I saw years ago he was one of the leads in Ion Fury I knew he wouldn't be able to keep his mouth shut and stir shit up sooner or later.

...jesus

Oct 25, 2017

holy fuck. you'd think people could grow out of this shit, but nah

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is trying to decide if a baby is trans or not?
I don't even know if that's wrong maybe just weird.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Someone has to have mentioned this already but this IS a game from the Duke Nukem creators, right? Not that surprising though it just means these people were long overdue for a dragging. Fuck'em

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to paint themselves as victims is a common tactics for people who get exposed for shitty views. You can't cry foul if you are swinging punches and you get kicked in the dick as a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.