• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Aren you seriously going to come in here, drop a hot take that shows you haven't even read the OP or the thread and then proceed to play the victim and make the thread about you?
It's about people who feel offended (one or the other) and about the whole team behind this game.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I would say it's both, my parents display the same shit attitude in addition to homophobia.
Yeah, and when I attempt to explain it to them, they seem incapable of understanding, either because they can't or don't want to. They have a live and let live attitude toward trans people (they don't support taking people's rights away) but that's like the bare minimum in my eyes and they seemingly have no interest in progressing any further. Makes me glad I'm not trans, frankly.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Rest assured it has been multiple devs of the studio that have shown their transphobia, now coupled with even a staff member of their publisher. The latter meaning nothing will be done internally to rid themselves of bad elements. Chances are, they'd have to dismantle their entire operations.
That is bad indeed :(

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I sometimes just hate that one opinion can create a whichhunt around a whole team.
I live all people and love to work on a game like this. But... 1 asshole and we seem all bad and doomed.

i still love the look and feel of the game.
Read the thread. It's pretty obvious there's no "witch hunt" (witch hunt implying the thing being complained about didn't happen in the first place), and it's defenitely not just some guy's "one opinion".

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's about people who feel offended (one or the other) and about the whole team behind this game.
Read the thread before bemoaning how people are treating the developers and proclaiming how great the game is. Right after screens of one of the developers being directly transphobic to someone trans on their discord, and questions if vaccines might cause autism while another member advocates for beating children and calls the trans member a r****d.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, uh, huh..

I went to get the important context that they kept going on about for the Daedolon (another dev from the OP) trans screenshot and found it led to them arguing with someone trans - alongside another Discord member who, at one point, suggests kids should have some sense beaten into them to avoid non-existent surgery.

Also, Daedolon can't quite say whether vaccines cause autism or not. He isn't surprised trans people are "offing themselves" post surgery though.

Long and in full because you gotta have that context.
Lmao honestly wouldn't surprise me if the supposed context would make things worse somehow.
lol

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
Read the thread before bemoaning how people are treating the developers and proclaiming how great the game is. Right after screens of one of the developers being directly transphobic to someone trans on their discord, and questions if vaccines might cause autism while another member advocates for beating children and calls the trans member a r****d.
Christ this story just gets better and better I just wish someone who's trans actually confront them on it and be like yo this is wrong and here's why. I'm all for talking and teaching but these guys seem like their just going to deflect the blame and keep to their bad opinions.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Now I kind of wish Iron Maiden would have buried them in legal fees.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, and when I attempt to explain it to them, they seem incapable of understanding, either because they can't or don't want to. They have a live and let live attitude toward trans people (they don't support taking people's rights away) but that's like the bare minimum in my eyes and they seemingly have no interest in progressing any further. Makes me glad I'm not trans, frankly.
I've tried but I've given up on them, they always treat me like an idiot so I don't engage with them more than necessary. I would say my parents have a similar attitude of rights but then again with them believing homosexuals and trans are naturally more violent, I have my doubts. No fooling they're and a good chuck of my family are not happy of the aesthetics choices I make of how I present myself to the world, and they already give me crap on things I have no control over so I don't want to know how they'd treat me if I was something they are bigoted against, so also glad like you.

Full context

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Christ this story just gets better and better I just wish someone who's trans actually confront them on it and be like yo this is wrong and here's why. I'm all for talking and teaching but these guys seem like their just going to deflect the blame and keep to their bad opinions.
That's literally what that conversation was. The developer spewed transphobic points at them (the trans member) while another member belittled and insulted them, alongside advocating for beating children. Then the developer nodded to vaccines causing autism and said they aren't surprised that trans people 'off themselves' after surgery.

Full thing below:
screenshot_20190817-1j2j7u.jpg

screenshot_20190817-18xjcw.jpg

screenshot_20190817-1wqjoy.jpg

screenshot_20190817-16ijhm.jpg

screenshot_20190817-1hdka5.jpg

screenshot_20190817-1wdkki.jpg

screenshot_20190817-1prkk2.jpg

screenshot_20190817-176jw6.jpg

screenshot_20190817-1m1kbn.jpg

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Damn, two people in that chat are trying to get through to them and getting nowhere.

It seems to be really difficult to get some people to understand transgender identity. My mother is liberal, my dad leans libertarian, and both of them are fairly transphobic. I'm not sure if it's generational or what but they are just so tied to the rigid gender binary that they can't seem to really accept or understand anything that runs counter to that binary. It can be insanely frustrating.

Some people don't understand whatsoever, but I have to imagine a lot of these people don't want to understand, or think they already know and have no interest in correcting their misinterpretations or misunderstandings.

My conservative-leaning grandfather is 85 years old and is among the most understanding and supportive people in my family towards my sister who is trans and went out of his way to educate himself, so it's not like there's this impossible gulf to bridge caused by generational distance alone. If people want to listen, learn, and understand they can do it regardless of any other circumstances. I guess that's what makes it so frustrating for me, it's not some impenetrable concept, it's quite the opposite assuming you want to be empathetic and understanding in the first place.

Last edited:

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
So, uh, huh..

I went to get the important context that they kept going on about for the Daedolon (another dev from the OP) trans screenshot and found it led to them arguing with someone trans - alongside another Discord member who, at one point, suggests kids should have some sense beaten into them to avoid non-existent surgery.

Also, Daedolon can't quite say whether vaccines cause autism or not. He isn't surprised trans people are "offing themselves" post surgery though.

The context makes it even better (worse), so they're antivaxx too?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've tried but I've given up on them, they always treat me like an idiot so I don't engage with them more than necessary. I would say my parents have a similar attitude of rights but then again with them believing homosexuals and trans are naturally more violent, I have my doubts. No fooling they're and a good chuck of my family are not happy of the aesthetics choices I make of how I present myself to the world, and they already give me crap on things I have no control over so I don't want to know how they'd treat me if I was something they are bigoted against, so also glad like you.
That's rough, I'm sorry you have to deal with that.
Some people don't understand whatsoever, but I have to imagine a lot of these people don't want to understand, or think they already know and have no interest in correcting their misinterpretations or misunderstandings.

My conservative-leaning grandfather is 85 years old and is among the most understanding and supportive people in my family towards my sister who is trans and went out of his way to educate himself, so it's not like there's this impossible gulf to bridge caused by generational distance alone. If people want to listen, learn, and understand they can do it regardless of any other circumstances. I guess that's what makes it so frustrating for me, it's not some impenetrable concept, it's quite the opposite assuming you want to be empathetic and understanding in the first place.
Yeah that's a good point. I think a lot of people don't have a personal motivation to learn (like a family member who is trans) so they don't bother. And then a lot of people do have that personal connection to a trans person...and then choose to ostracize them.

jvm

Oct 27, 2017
Refund request submitted. Disappointed in the messages which appear to be from the developers and the public responses so far. Will reconsider if things change, but looks unlikely. :(

Oct 28, 2017
That's rough, I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Yeah that's a good point. I think a lot of people don't have a personal motivation to learn (like a family member who is trans) so they don't bother. And then a lot of people do have that personal connection to a trans person...and then choose to ostracize them.
Thank you for your kind words, but don't worry I've learned how to cope with this and it's not like everyone in my family is like that, mostly my immediate family tend to be more problematic for me but not all of them are. Besides, I didn't turn out like them so small actually big victories!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So, uh, huh..

This is truly incredible stuff.

To summarize for people who can't be arsed to read the whole thing (I don't blame them):

- We have two people in that Discord that are patiently trying to educate this dev about trans issues
- They try to explain gender dysphoria, how transitioning works, puberty blockers, etc., and post resources and links.
- Meanwhile you have this horrible bigot (not the dev) peddling transphobic bullshit and myths about suicide rates, and even saying trans kids should be "beaten into being rational" and linking to far-right resources.
- The dev not only ignores the bigot posting that gross shit and never calls them out...
- The dev is not even remotely receptive to what the other two are saying;
- The dev continues to post ridiculous, debunked myths, such as "laws forcing kids to go through surgery", puberty blockers causing infertility and even making your bits disappear (??? how fucking stupid is this guy), etc.
- The dev constantly posts disingenuous nonsense like "I'm not an expert but <insert myth here>", "I don't know anything but I saw a doctor say this once"
- One of the two patient Discord member points out, "Yeah well we had a doctor saying vaccines cause autism so..."
- The dev basically says "sure you never know" in response to that (!)
- The dev then concludes, despite being given overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that that trans teenagers must be killing themselves because they transitioned too early.

Even tl;dr shorter summary:
- The dev is transphobic
- The dev ignores all information and resources that could educate him;
- The dev continues being transphobic and also posted anti-vaxx talking points as a bonus.

And then you have people saying we should take the time to educate these bigots and not be too mean to them. Well, here you go folks, those are the results.

Edit: not saying those two were wrong to try. They absolutely weren't and I commend them for it. It hopefully worked on lurkers and bystanders to open their eyes, and maybe next time someone will be receptive. But I'm saying, it's small wonder that there are some who are fed up with this, especially when it's obvious the recipient is not discussing in good faith, and even lets a bigot spout his hateful propaganda unchecked right next to him.

Last edited:

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
It's more in response to the sub topics that have spawned along the way. I'm sick of seeing this engine of hate and I want to see a world where everyone is accepted in my lifetime. Not 3-4 generations down the road.
So Jesus christ you blame the people calling out the hate

For fucks sake

Marginalized people already have stressful lives just due to being marginalized, and you want to add more to their plate by saying they're perpetuating the, hate by not converting bigots to "their side"

Piss off

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely don't think I've ever been more disappointed to learn prominent members of a devteam for a game I liked were a bunch of heels.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smh knowing a ton of Era members will see this thread and still buy the game and suppport the devs.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for your kind words, but don't worry I've learned how to cope with this and it's not like everyone in my family is like that, mostly my immediate family tend to be more problematic for me but not all of them are. Besides, I didn't turn out like them so small actually big victories!
Yeah you should be proud of that.

To summarize for people who can't be arsed to read the whole thing (I don't blame them):

- We have two people in that Discord that are patiently trying to educate this dev about trans issues
- They try to explain gender dysphoria, how transitioning works, puberty blockers, etc., and post resources and links.
- Meanwhile you have this horrible bigot (not the dev) peddling transphobic bullshit and myths about suicide rates, and even saying trans kids should be "beaten into being rational" and linking to far-right resources.
- The dev not only ignores the bigot posting that gross shit and never calls them out...
- The dev continues to post ridiculous, debunked myths, such as "laws forcing kids to go through surgery", puberty blockers causing infertility and even making your bits disappear (??? how fucking stupid is this guy), etc.
- The dev constantly posts disingenuous nonsense like "I'm not an expert but <insert myth here>", "I don't know anything but I saw a doctor say this once"
- One of the two patient Discord member points out, "Yeah well we had a doctor saying vaccines cause autism so..."
- The dev then concludes, despite being given overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that that trans teenagers must be killing themselves because they transitioned too early.

- The dev is transphobic
- The dev continues being transphobic and also posted anti-vaxx talking points as a bonus.

And then you have people saying we should take the time to educate these bigots and not be too mean to them. Well, here you go folks, those are the results.
Eh, I think attempting to educate people is still useful and important. Just don't expect it to work with everyone. Just exposing people to other sources of information is helpful. I just don't think we should lay the responsibility of doing that work at the feet of the marginalized.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Smh knowing a ton of Era members will see this thread and still buy the game and suppport the devs.
What really makes me mad is some members coming in and not only downplaying the things that devs did, they also get mad at the idea of review bombing the game or criticizing it.

Then if they get called out they start acting like they're the victim.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Eh, I think attempting to educate people is still useful and important. Just don't expect it to work with everyone. Just exposing people to other sources of information is helpful. I just don't think we should lay the responsibility of doing that work at the feet of the marginalized.
I agree with you but it's just incredible to see this juxtaposed with "we gotta educate them politely/so much for the tolerant left" rhetoric heh.

I applaud those two patient Discord members for sure. They didn't get through to those asshats at all but hopefully some lurkers had their eyes opened.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

- The dev is transphobic

And then you have people saying we should take the time to educate these bigots and not be too mean to them. Well, here you go folks, those are the results
Look, its clear it didn't work here, but one sample doesn't mean you don't try. Hell another poster just said his ultra conservative Grandfather got educated and was supportive of his sister who was transitioning.

Like you can't let a couple shitty instances color your whole impression, I mean, we have evidence of white nationalists being shown how wrong and hurtful they were/are and changing and speaking out against it.

So yeah fuck this dev in particular because they refuse to listen, but don't write every human off because of a couple examples. You will reach more than you know by just trying and then ignoring anyone who doesn't want to try to get better.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh, huh..

MrNerp is a total bellend. Was he fed turpentine when growing up? Jesus...

Oct 28, 2017

- The dev is transphobic

Andrew Wakefield was forced to rescind the paper, but certainly does not regret it and still peddles his anti-vax nonsense to this day. Sadly.
Are you talking about Andrew Wakefield? Because he ended up the opposite of what you are saying.
Ignore me I made a big mistake involving misinformation on my end, I am and was wrong on this issue. Listen to these two instead.
Yeah you should be proud of that.

Thanks and I am, I've always been observant in learning form the mistakes of others and calling out the bullshit so much so that their and that screams bullshit to me ringing the bells/rising the red flags in my head.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you but it's just incredible to see this juxtaposed with "we gotta educate them politely/so much for the tolerant left" rhetoric heh.

I applaud those two patient Discord members for sure. They didn't get through to those asshats at all but hopefully some lurkers had their eyes opened.
Yeah that rhetoric is dumb and always has been. The fact that people are trying to educate others is an example of patience and tolerance.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So all of you going "trans people should educate transphobes" know that is just going to result in trans people having to talk to incredibly ignorant assholes who continually insult them throughout the conversation and ignore anything they bring up right?

Cause that's how that usually tends to go. Yeah there are people who might change their mind, but you're asking people to go through a whole lot of mental strain to do that.

Oct 27, 2017
he was on neogaf and got banned too.

This redneckerz guy is like the typical case of a clingy insecure ex who can't take no for an answer / can't accept that he got booted the fuck out of his relationship, so years later he still obsesses about it, stalks their ex and badmouths them all the time. He got banned like more than a year ago from here, then made a career out of obsessing about resetera over at the other site, then got banned there too. Now he's publicly bitching about it on discord. I don't throw the term "pathetic" around lightly, but this guy is the embodiment of a pathetic loser.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
What really makes me mad is some members coming in and not only downplaying the things that devs did, they also get mad at the idea of review bombing the game or criticizing it.

Then if they get called out they start acting like they're the victim.
If some games get review-bombed for daring to put women in their games, unless services take a stronger stance against this it should be review-bombed imo.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting story about the Doctor/Researcher who came out with the Autism-Vaccines Correlation Paper back in I believe the 90s, they have rescinded and regretted it so much so that they try to fight this misinformation at every turn if I'm remembering correctly.

Andrew Wakefield was forced to rescind the paper, but certainly does not regret it and still peddles his anti-vax nonsense to this day. Sadly.

Zipzoom

May 27, 2019
This redneckerz guy is like the typical case of a clingy insecure ex who can't take no for an answer / can't accept that he got booted the fuck out of his relationship, so years later he still obsesses about it, stalks their ex and badmouths them all the time. He got banned like more than a year ago from here, then made a career out of obsessing about resetera over at the other site, then got banned there too. Now he's publicly bitching about it on discord. I don't throw the term "pathetic" around lightly, but this guy is the embodiment of a pathetic loser.
it's really sad too.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
This is very unfortunate and I feel bad for the trans individuals who have to endure being mistreated by those folks.

I hadn't bought the game yet and this just makes me want to forget the whole thing existed. Unless something radically changes, which sadly seems increasingly unlikely as more information comes out.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

- The dev is transphobic

Solid breakdown of that convo, thanks for writing it up. I'm still stunned they continued on the "lack of context" angle with this all out there.

Goes a long way past 'signs of' at this point, between liking transphobic tweets and blaming autism for their Twitter response to arguing transphobic talking points with trans people while letting other members insult and lambast them, and putting nods out to vaccines causing autism.

Absolute garbage.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting story about the Doctor/Researcher who came out with the Autism-Vaccines Correlation Paper back in I believe the 90s, they have rescinded and regretted it so much so that they try to fight this misinformation at every turn if I'm remembering correctly.

Thanks and I am, I've always been observant in learning form the mistakes of others and calling out the bullshit so much so that their and that screams bullshit to me ringing the bells/rising the red flags in my head.
Are you talking about Andrew Wakefield? Because he ended up the opposite of what you are saying.

Oct 28, 2017
So all of you going "trans people should educate transphobes" know that is just going to result in trans people having to talk to incredibly ignorant assholes who continually insult them throughout the conversation and ignore anything they bring up right?

Cause that's how that usually tends to go.
As someone who's Mexican I don't put myself at risk on trying to educate these fuckers, as such I don't put the onus of education on the marginalized. Hey if you want to try (I don't know why you would), then more power to you and I wish you the best of luck because you're going to need it. I mean it does have merit and educating the ignorant is important but yeah it's sadly and unfortunately an uphill battle.
Thank you for telling me, going to edit my post, as I don't want misinformation spreading! Yeah, apologizes I was am wrong, going to correct that.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, its clear it didn't work here, but one sample doesn't mean you don't try. Hell another poster just said his ultra conservative Grandfather got educated and was supportive of his sister who was transitioning.

Like you can't let a couple shitty instances color your whole impression, I mean, we have evidence of white nationalists being shown how wrong and hurtful they were/are and changing and speaking out against it.

So yeah fuck this dev in particular because they refuse to listen, but don't write every human off because of a couple examples. You will reach more than you know by just trying and then ignoring anyone who doesn't want to try to get better.

You're not wrong that educating people can create a positive change in someone who is transphobic, but I think that you're really underestimating how stubborn people can be and just how common interactions like that one are. People are so certain that they 100% know how everything trans related works when they've never done any real research or asked someone who is trans, and it shows. In that conversation, trans people had to steep themselves in someone saying that they shouldn't transition, that their experiences of knowing when they were trans aren't valid all while someone is posting links from full-on alt-right sources like TheFederalist to discredit trans people further.

It also almost always falls on trans people to dive into these topics where people are treating us like garbage and gently nudge people the right way. We're not allowed to show the level of pain that interactions with transphobic people can have, and if we ever get fed up we get tired lines of "You're pushing them to the alt-right" as if we're the ones responsible for how bigoted people treat us.

I sincerely do try my best to educate people when I feel like I can, but it's frustrating, it's difficult and it's not as simple as just ignoring people who don't want to get better as seeing so much hatred and dismissal directed at you for just existing eats at you.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Well this coming out bums me out that I gave them money in early access and it's not refundable.

Status
Not open for further replies.