• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys...it's the weekend. These sites hire weekend editors for casual articles on weekends. I would be shocked if Kotaku and Polygon aren't covering this by close of business Monday.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Just want to point out some things I've found

JP5St7A.png
8XtB9TN.jpg

yEgImJT.png
d87pLlw.png
I'd LOVE to see how they will use "context" to explain these.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Jesus christ this shit just keeps getting worse.

These aren't controversial opinions folks, this just just straight childish and hurtful behavior.

These guys should just fuck it, say sorry - ban themselves from the internet for a solid year and come back and hope people forgive them.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why support this game at this point. I wish Resetera would take a stand on blatant hatefulness like this and deplatform then from the site. Stop letting Era promote games and developers like this.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Why support this game at this point. I wish Resetera would take a stand on blatant hatefulness like this and deplatform then from the site. Stop letting Era promote games and developers like this.

While I think you could get away with that with a niche title like Ion Maiden, it quickly becomes untenable when people involved with higher profile titles go through similar unmaskings. Speaking generally, I think the community here would take a lot less kindly to be being told they can't discuss Dragon Quest games than they would Ion Maiden.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I didn't realise that was the person's first post.

Yeah, it'd be a good idea to verify the images.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like the game isn't just a throwback to the 90s, these devs are stuck in the 90s. You'd think even the most ardent bigots on the planet would be smart enough to refrain from putting that kind of trash in a game they planned to actually sell. Like, even if the Discord stuff had never happened, those images would still be enough to garner a good bit of negative press.

EDIT: Yeah, assuming it's real. Being that person's first post, we need to make sure.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It seems like the game isn't just a throwback to the 90s, these devs are stuck in the 90s. You'd think even the most ardent bigots on the planet would be smart enough to refrain from putting that kind of trash in a game they planned to actually sell. Like, even if the Discord stuff had never happened, those images would still be enough to garner a good bit of negative press.

I think a big part of the problem is that Voidpoint (and correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) is chiefly composed of Duke 3D modding community members who haven't really done this professionally before. It may have come as a shock to some of these guys that the "humour" they could slip into a free mod doesn't really fly in a widely-available commercial release.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think a big part of the problem is that Voidpoint (and correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) is chiefly composed of Duke 3D modding community members who haven't really done this professionally before. It may have come as a shock to some of these guys that the "humour" they could slip into a free mod doesn't really fly in a widely-available commercial release.
I suppose the comparison could be how there was a highly influential Doom mod - to the point that it influenced the main series - which was made by a guy who turned out to be a Neo-Nazi.

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like the game isn't just a throwback to the 90s, these devs are stuck in the 90s. You'd think even the most ardent bigots on the planet would be smart enough to refrain from puttingmi that kind of trash in a game they planned to actually sell. Like, even if the Discord stuff had never happened, those images would still be enough to garner a good bit of negative press.

EDIT: Yeah, assuming it's real. Being that person's first post, we need to make sure.
My thoughts too. Even when compared to other gaming communities, the retro FPS crowd strikes me as especially toxic. Of the few negative reviews of this on Steam, one of the recurring complaints is that the game is too "PC" and doesn't properly capture the humor of games like Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior. I think for both fans and devs alike, the shitty believes and outdated bits of humor are an intrinsic part of the genre's identity.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I suppose the comparison could be how there was a highly influential Doom mod - to the point that it influenced the main series - which was made by a guy who turned out to be a Neo-Nazi.

I guess the difference there is that the developer of Brutal Doom (that's who we're talking about, right?) hasn't personally made the leap to the professional space yet. If he ever does, it'll be very interesting to see if he repeats Voidpoint's mistakes.

I think people who aren't used to working in a professional settings often have bad habits where it comes to slipping jokes and references that they find funny into their work. My boss for example runs his own business, so there's nobody to stop him doing that kind of thing; I can't tell you how many expletive-filled folders I've had to rename out of fear that a client might see them someday.

mod post - concerning screenshots

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Please take all screenshots with a grain of salt until it can be independently verified/reproduced that they are real and reflective of the base game. Any fakes will be removed, and anyone posting a fake will be banned (verify it yourself first please).

Flapjack21

Aug 18, 2019
Please take all screenshots with a grain of salt until it can be independently verified/reproduced that they are real and reflective of the base game. Any fakes will be removed, and anyone posting a fake will be banned (verify it yourself first please).

All images were found online, I have been told that the top one is in "the piano room" but I am not up to that point in the game yet.
I'll load up the game now to try and get some confirmation on it.
The other screenshots are absolutely real, should I confirm these first or scout for the one in question?

OP
OP
Twenty5Thousand
Nov 4, 2018
All images were found online, I have been told that the top one is in "the piano room" but I am not up to that point in the game yet.
The other screenshots are absolutely real, should I confirm these first or scout for the one in question?
If you could submit footage that shows how to get to where any these screenshots were taken, therefore allowing others to verify that it is real, that would be great.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017

The only piano room I've seen is at the end of Zone 3 (iirc) in the map Executive Disorder. I tried to throw on noclip to take a look but couldn't find it in the few minutes I had to spare. If no one finds it by the time I get another chance I'll go back in and give it another shot.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017

I can confirm the moisturizer bottles say "Ogay." I just checked my copy of the game and found them.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, two people in that chat are trying to get through to them and getting nowhere.

It seems to be really difficult to get some people to understand transgender identity. My mother is liberal, my dad leans libertarian, and both of them are fairly transphobic. I'm not sure if it's generational or what but they are just so tied to the rigid gender binary that they can't seem to really accept or understand anything that runs counter to that binary. It can be insanely frustrating.

That chat is dire and infuriating.

And it is not even about making people understand. It's ok if they don't. The problem is people barging in to talk about things they don't understand, to minimise the struggles of others and to prevent progression. Like if someone doesn't understand why trans people exist just don't do or say anything. Don't go "actually I'm the expert and you are wrong". I don't get why people just can't leave others alone😔

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks some of the devs had to end up being fuck heads. Guess I'll have to update the old wishlist.

Deleted member 55568

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Holy fucking shit.

Yep, these guys are permanently written off.

Even if they came out and apologized tomorrow, it would so clearly just be a panic move to save sales, rather than a change in beliefs. They would still be awful, and the only change would be they'd be awful privately.

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
Why would you put that in the game why... Now you tainted your art forever like folks separating art from the artist can't make that argument in good faith anymore because this gross anti LGBTQ rhetoric is now in the game. Makes me wonder what else is hiding in there.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

At the same time, it sounds like era is the only thing raising awareness about this. A page or two back one user claimed that only one website was covering this. Most people just don't care and don't want to cover it but the people here care and will raise awareness about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.