• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Yup, ended up preordering it on GOG immediately after reading Tarason's tweets and LGR's review. This is too good to be true.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me I am not the only one trying to click on the link in that Romero tweet...

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Been playing the early access, I like the game a lot and reminds me of my time playing Duke 3D back in my youth.
I hope this game is successful, I can tell the developers put their hearts into it!
If everything goes well, maybe they can tackle Duke Nukem Forever's 2001 version in the near future?
Retro shooters are in demand again and I think a lot of people would be interested in playing that version of DNF.

Last edited:

Violet Wren

Oct 25, 2017
Rock Paper Shotgun reviewed it in a review that's bound to go down in history with IGN's God Hand and PCGamer's Dragon Age 2 reviews.

As someone who generally enjoys RPS, this review struck a nerve with me. I understand that everyone's experience is unique to them and perfectly valid, but I've never understood media outlets assigning games to writers who clearly do not mesh well with the style of game up for review. That being said, the review itself didn't bug me nearly as much as one of the comments in which the commenter refers to classic fps games as "Doomquakes". That one made me feel old.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Rock Paper Shotgun reviewed it in a review that's bound to go down in history with IGN's God Hand and PCGamer's Dragon Age 2 reviews.

Why even bother writing a review of something where every deliberate design choice makes you recoil and you continuously reiterate your complete lack of interest in what the game is trying to do.

Could have just said "I don't like build games" and left it at that.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

I actually think it's fine to an extent because If I grew up with games that give lengthy tutorials, and hold my hand with arrows showing me where to go, then I tried to play this, I'd probably be just as frustrated.

It's an interesting look at how these games are perceived by those not in its target audience, but they should definitely have someone the game IS geared toward do a review, as well.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I've played enough Doom WADs to know I won't get lost in whatever big interconnected environments Ion Fury has. I'm ready and excited.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
It's perfectly legitimate to go back and reevaluate old design conventions with a critical eye. But this review doesn't really do that, it's more like reviewing a Japanese restaurant on the basis of not knowing how to use chopsticks.

On the other hand superficial reviews abound on the internet and it doesn't make sense that negative ones get dogpiled more than positive ones. He was upfront about this just being his personal experience and that's fine, not every article is going to be an analytic deepdive.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so stoked for this, GMG has it for 15€ and that's pretty sweet spot for me.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I've played enough Doom WADs to know I won't get lost in whatever big interconnected environments Ion Fury has. I'm ready and excited.

So far they haven't been too bad, I never felt lost as a lot of the rooms have individuality in their design. You will sometimes loop back to another place as the level flows and go "Oh, I can go through here now". I wouldn't say it was a labyrinth like some Doom levels can be.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It's perfectly legitimate to go back and reevaluate old design conventions with a critical eye. But this review doesn't really do that, it's more like reviewing a Japanese restaurant on the basis of not knowing how to use chopsticks.

On the other hand superficial reviews abound on the internet and it doesn't make sense that negative ones get dogpiled more than positive ones. He was upfront about this just being his personal experience and that's fine, not every article is going to be an analytic deepdive.

I think that's why I'm OK with it, because he basically says it's a fine game that does what it sets out to do, but he's the problem. I get people not liking it, though.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's emblematic to the storytelling axiom that mainstream gaming's been riding for the last two or so decades. Aka. spectacle gaming.

Perhaps, but gaming as an industry grew rapidly once it could properly produce Hollywood-like games and cater to those sensibilities that were there in the first place. It's interesting to see such a far removed experience from someone that grew up in that period.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, it's not nearly that bad. I just mainly don't understand how he missed the map button and why he had so much trouble with navigation, or why he's kind of blaming that on the devs though. Tab is a very common "pull up the map" key regardless of genre. If you're not that familiar with old-school FPS then you should probably check the keybinds and make an effort to paying attention to your surroundings.

Why even bother writing a review of something where every deliberate design choice makes you recoil and you continuously reiterate your complete lack of interest in what the game is trying to do.

Could have just said "I don't like build games" and left it at that.
Not directly related to your point, but I don't really like old Build engine games very much and yet I loved what I played of Ion Fury.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Not directly related to your point, but I don't really like old Build engine games very much and yet I loved what I played of Ion Fury.

I can understand that. I love both but felt based on the preview campaign that Ion Fury was the best playing build game by far.

I have to imagine though that someone who doesn't enjoy it would absolutely hate a game like Blood or Shadow Warrior.

Oct 26, 2017

What it irks me it's his attitude. Translating what he really transmit in one part: "The game tutorial never popped up showing what key is the map, if the map exists, so it's the game fault I get so lost, I'm not going to press all the keys in hope it's one of them".
Uhh... as a minimum, I expect you to go to settings, controls, and look the keys and possible actions there.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Been waiting for this for a while, very excited.

Hearing from some that it's basically "Duke Nukem 3D 2" makes me very happy.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's emblematic to the storytelling axiom that mainstream gaming's been riding for the last two or so decades. Aka. spectacle gaming.

I don't see how this is true; deep and mechanics-driven genres like roguelikes (and lites) and deckbuilders and TBSes and whathaveyou get fairly extensive and positive coverage compared to the past, especially on PC and indie oriented sites like RPS. The stranglehold of "cinematic" ended like five years ago.

However, many games of all types do a much better job of tutorializing and teaching players to read their design language than they used to. Ion Fury uses a design language that is foreign to this reviewer and (allegedly) makes no effort to explain it, which is a legitimate complaint to have about a game.

Not that I'm saying this is a great review, but it's also not exactly a herald of the degeneracy of youth culture.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me it even has seamless level transitions ala Half-Life ?

tenor.gif

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how this is true; deep and mechanics-driven genres like roguelikes (and lites) and deckbuilders and TBSes and whathaveyou get fairly extensive and positive coverage compared to the past, especially on PC and indie oriented sites like RPS. The stranglehold of "cinematic" ended like five years ago.

However, many games of all types do a much better job of tutorializing and teaching players to read their design language than they used to. Ion Fury uses a design language that is foreign to this reviewer and (allegedly) makes no effort to explain it, which is a legitimate complaint to have about a game.

Not that I'm saying this is a great review, but it's also not exactly a herald of the degeneracy of youth culture.
I hardly called it degeneracy. I'm not about to talk down Half Life like that. I came from a time when fucking golf simulators were a graphics benchmark. This skew from the analytical (By rightful hardware design) to responsive is THE defining representation everything essential with the PC experience. With the rise of western prominence in the console space, to the obvious loss to the PC market at the time, the rise of indies would go on to define the open platform's best promise. I do enjoy the market we have today. In reverence to both East and West. But I assuredly say this not the case all the time, and I feel my definitions would mean very little who started gaming later than I have.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
PC Gamer review:

Even alongside other recent, excellent retro FPSes, Ion Fury reminds us of how much this period of PC gaming has to offer. It's surely the best thing that's ever happened in the Build Engine, and although limitations of enemy and weapon design reveal themselves over time, the swift movement and sleek maps make Ion Fury a worthy indulgence in the past.

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect the RPS people probably thought giving the review to the young guy would give them some more unique insight compared to an older reviewer just gushing over it because he grew up with Doom and Build engine games but this is still a big yikes.
This reads like a parody of a young gamer reviewer who can't figure out anything without tutorials and big glowing arrows.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't like this is a first for RPS.

They destroyed the last few Farming Simulator games writing joke reviews where they just made fun of the whole vehicle-sim genre. It felt like the only purpose was to point and laugh, wondering why anyone in the world would want to drive a tractor up and down the fields (Boooooring!!!).

It was really disappointing as a fan of the series and genre as a whole.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Been really looking forward to this. Watched a bit of the LGR review, but shut it off as I want to go in a bit blind.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's interesting to me that the RPS reviewer mentions getting lost and not knowing what to do because things aren't clear.

I've actually felt that way with a lot of modern games. With their updated graphics, I've often felt like it's hard to find the way forward because the path gets lost in the "noise" of the better graphics.

But with older games, every surface I could jump on, every wall, every pick-up, and every enemy was very clear to me cause it all stuck out. The low polygon budget meant that they all had to be spent more on important elements, and less on the superfluous that would be more realistic, but could also "clutter" the view.

But I don't hate the RPS review. I think it's important that people from many different perspectives review games. He even prefaced the review with his acknowledgement of his lack of experience of classic FPS games, and blamed himself for certain things he felt weren't fun.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This actually looks really good, think I'll pick it up after I finish Dead Cells.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this running on the actual Duke3D engine, complete with faux 3D that warps graphics when you angle your aim vertically, or is the engine capable of real 3D space computation like in the most recent port of Duke3D?