• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Could someone clarify what the "preview campaign" is? The wording on Steam makes it almost sound like something distinct from the main game and exclusive to early access buyers.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a vertical slice of the game that splices several different levels together into a short demo like experience.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Aaron D's correct. I made a mistake in the OT post, which I've now addressed. Regardless of when you buy the game, you'll still have access to the preview campaign, which is called Crisis in Columbia under the bonus missions menu. It's bascially like that old F.E.A.R. demo from back in the day, which took parts of the levels from the campaign and mashed them together into something that offered a condensed version of what the team were striving for with the game.
Thanks for the info!

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Ew I totally forgot Steam Workshop integration when I bought it on GoG...I'll double dip on Steam in a year or two.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Half-Life succeeded where its bosses were more integrated into the story and environment than usual. Like the Blast Pit Tentacle sort of felt like a boss to me, as well as things like the Ichthyosaur and Helicopter encounters. They don't have health bars or boss music or anything, just strong and rare enemies presented in specific scenarios.

I think Half Life has an interesting take on bosses, although I'd argue it's much less successful than Half Life 2, but then, this game in the pinnacle of the FPS genre.

For the first game, I think technology really limited what they could do. And when they tried a more traditional boss (the last fight) the results weren't memorable.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

The only YouTube review that could possibly rival ACG in this one specific case.

(Still can't wait to hear your thoughts, Jeremy!)

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
For those that have played it how is the difficulty and level of hitscan? is it closer to duke 3d or approaching borderline unfair like blood?

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
For those that have played it how is the difficulty and level of hitscan? is it closer to duke 3d or approaching borderline unfair like blood?
If the preview campaign is anything to go by then its definitely closer to Duke, you still die pretty quickly if you're careless but not 'in under a second' quickly like Blood on its higher difficulties.

EDIT: Eurogamer review is up as well, Recommended!

BenSmith

Handsome Phantom
Verified
Mar 8, 2019
Butler, PA

I would definitely say closer to Duke. One interesting things is that some enemy fire actually shows the line of fire the bullets take for a few seconds after they shoot - specifically shotguns.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
If the preview campaign is anything to go by then its definitely closer to Duke, you still die pretty quickly if you're careless but not 'in under a second' quickly like Blood on its higher difficulties.

EDIT: Eurogamer review is up as well, Recommended!
Thats good to hear, as someone who never played blood til the recent release it was kinda ridiculous with how fast enemies could just melt your health and how fast their reactions were. I still enjoyed the game but I had to use the custom difficulty option to tone down the aggression/accuracy levels a bit. I actually purchased Ion fury right before the price increase but I figured I would just wait to play the game when the full version was out since it wasnt too far off.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Is 2019 the year of the throwback FPSs or what? DUSK, Amid Evil, Ion Fury. Wrath, Prodeus...

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Wow. Is 2019 the year of the throwback FPSs or what? DUSK, Amid Evil, Ion Fury. Wrath, Prodeus...

Even though it's not exactly in that vein, there's also Black Mesa's Xen update (which is in beta right now). Very much has the 1998 gameplay vibe that you'd want from a Half-Life remake. Sure, not quite as oldschool as those others, but still pretty sweet.

And that's without even mentioning that we finally got a good release of Blood this year.

So far DUSK is my favorite of these, but Ion Fury's preview campaign is amazing. Super looking forward to this.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not playing at launch because of vacation and business travel for the next month.

Once things have settled down and I'm home for a few weeks I'll be playing.

On CRT.

Just like how I play Dusk and Amid Evil. 19" VGA picture tube, baby.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
The recent trend of these style of fps games has made me jump back into the genre after pretty much abandoning it for years.

Same.

Dusk, Amid Evil and Iron Maiden Fury (demo) are pure gold and I can't wait to dive into some of the other retro shooters mentioned.

This is coming from someone who's all but abandoned modern shooters outside of standouts like Doom (2016) or hybrids like Prey.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if I will pick this for my X1X (Mostly so for the controller and achievements) or the Switch. Probably X1X. Can't wait in both case ^^

Last edited:

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
Thats good to hear, as someone who never played blood til the recent release it was kinda ridiculous with how fast enemies could just melt your health and how fast their reactions were. I still enjoyed the game but I had to use the custom difficulty option to tone down the aggression/accuracy levels a bit. I actually purchased Ion fury right before the price increase but I figured I would just wait to play the game when the full version was out since it wasnt too far off.
Yeah its definitely more forgiving than Blood, I only played it for the first time with Fresh Supply myself and I agree that the bullshit difficulty kind of sapped the fun out of it sometimes. I just got into the habit of quicksaving after every combat encounter just in case I didn't spot one of the tommy gun cultists in time and he took 90% of my health off in the two seconds it took me to react.

From the preview campaign a few of the enemies seem to deliberately flub their opening shots when they first spot you (particularly noticeable with the shotgun guys) so you've got a chance react and kill them before actually taking any damage. Others, like the crossbow enemies, have to charge up their shots before hitting you so you've again got time to either kill them or duck behind cover, it just seems a lot fairer in general.

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
Just this morning I was thinking to myself, "Hey, when is Ion Maiden coming out?" Looked it up. Oh, tomorrow? Well all righty then!

Bought in long ago, can't wait for the full version to drop.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I've recently got back into building levels for Duke3D using Mapster32, so I might get this for the level editor if nothing else. Game looks great as well though, which is a bonus!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I really can't say enough good things about this. I've honestly waited for a game like this for years, I feel. Decades even. It absolutely captures the splendor of Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood but goes even further. Honestly, the map designs here are just nuts. I can't imagine the amount of time poured into the design of each area - it's really insane.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i assume the level of interactivity in the levels is on-par or higher than Duke3D and Blood?

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I really can't say enough good things about this. I've honestly waited for a game like this for years, I feel. Decades even. It absolutely captures the splendor of Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood but goes even further. Honestly, the map designs here are just nuts. I can't imagine the amount of time poured into the design of each area - it's really insane.
Your video just earned these guys a day 1 purchase. Can't wait.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

I've waited decades too. It's a joy to read that it meets expectation, really. Can't wait till tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing that is nuts about this game is, at least from the steam forums / new stories, etc. I have seen about this game, I recognize some of the people involved with this thing from like a decade back on the 3DR forums. Back then, they were gods with the technology already, and huge fans of Duke3D. We were all there basically patiently waiting on DNF.

Flash forward to 2019, and we're essentially getting Duke Nukem 3D II. Which is all kinds of ridiculous, and nuts, but the team working on this thing is like... imagine if the 3DR guys had never stopped using Build and being obsessed with that space. They just honed their craft and stayed fans of these kinds of games. This game seems like what you'd end up with after that. It would not surprise me one bit if the team behind this is more advanced with the engine than the originally creators of Duke 3D ever were sans the original Build Engine guy. This is a game made by hardcore fans for hardcore fans, and while it's not the Duke character, there is no doubt in my mind that the tone and angle here is to give something to people that was never gonna happen any other way, and my head cannon is that this is essentially DN3D 2.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

You could tell from your video that you really loved this one. I can't wait until it drops on consoles.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
DUSK came out last year and I doubt the full release of Wrath will come out this year. Not sure about Prodeus either.

Regardless it's a great time to be a single-player FPS fan.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
The recent trend of these style of fps games has made me jump back into the genre after pretty much abandoning it for years.

Sometimes I almost forget how much I love this genre, since the modern version of it does little for me. It's so good to see stuff like Ion Fury, Dusk, Amid Evil and similar.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I so want to play these games but i don't play on pc. I know Dusk and iron Fury are coming to consoles but what about Project Warlock and Amid Evil

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Sometimes I almost forget how much I love this genre, since the modern version of it does little for me. It's so good to see stuff like Ion Fury, Dusk, Amid Evil and similar.
I know the feeling, ever since 360/ps3 gen I havent had much interest in the genre with the direction it took. I miss the unreal/quake style online multiplayer as well. I dont have anything against progression/item drop mechanics really, but at the same time I dont think they need to be in everything; what happened to the game itself just being fun to play as your incentive to keep going. I really wish there would be something that catches on with mod support that just lights the community on fire like unreal tournament

Thankfully the doom modding community has remained extremely active all these years so whenever I get the itch to play a classic style fps there is usually a new mod to try out.

Last edited:

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I'm wondering if I should splooge on the big box or just get a digital preorder. Any pictures of the actual big box?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Once the multiplayer drops, I'm gonna dive straight in. The hours I spent on null modem cable and Kali in the 90's in Duke 3D.

Game looks amazing

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
1565794187057m.jpg

This made me laugh way too much.