• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
That's the main reason I do not use m/kb now. That shit hurts like hell. Don't see how people do that full time on twitch and shit.

Make sure you sit at your desk properly + comfortably, at the right height. Use these wrist rest pillow things. All the stuff that's recommended for office work applies here too.

I never have these issues, not even when playing for hours on end.

Edit: I'm a dum dum and should read better lol

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Good lord, the levels in this game are HUUUGGGGGEEEE! I'm still in the first, and it feels like I'm fighting through the whole city.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad the difficulty level is pretty high in this, I found a few of the recent retro FPS throwbacks a bit too easy on the medium to hard difficulties, but then had a bit too much of a spike on the hardest. This one feels just right, at least for me. Though I am playing through it slowly, I'm recovering from a surgery and can only play for short periods at a time.
Good lord, the levels in this game are HUUUGGGGGEEEE! I'm still in the first, and it feels like I'm fighting through the whole city.
It's always wild to me just how many secrets there are. I think I found them all in the first level, but that's it.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Yeah add me to the list of people that love the difficulty of the game. Currently on the 18th level, playing at Ultra Viscera and it just feels right. The boss fights are bloody challenging though, had to make liberal use of quicksave and strafing like a right mofo! Once I complete the game I'll likely throw myself into the toughest difficulty (with a couple of beers to dilute the rage quitting :p)

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Finished the game on the third difficulty with 10 hours on the clock last Sunday. Overall enjoyed it a lot.
Level design is definitely its strongest point. I have to vehemently disagree with RPS's review. The way they made these large sprawling maps and still manage to not make the player lost- through techniques such as breadcrumbing through enemy spawns, (scripted) desctrutible environments or how every switch you flip has a visible impact on the environment- is nothing short of amazing.

What I didn't like is the kind of sucky map compared to something like GZDoom's but I guess that's down to the sourceport. Barely had to use it anyway because of the aforementioned excellent level design.
Also the weapons are just kind of.. alright? There's not a single one that sticks out as particularly great and the absence of a double-barreled or a rocket launcher feels a little weird. They also blow their load pretty early by giving you access to most of them rather soon.
The enemy selection isn't all that great IMO too. Enjoyed fighting the humanoid enemies but wasn't too hot on most others.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There was a period of time after id software's DOOM in which FPS were still experimenting with the exploration of large 3D spaces. This era basically slammed to a close when Half-Life came out in 1998, with more realistic environments, its cinematic approach, and a more linear structure. There's a very clear divide from the post-Doom era(Blood, Hexen, Dark Forces) and post-Half-Life era (Call of Duty, Halo, F.E.A.R.). And as gaming continues to grow and evolve, those old school Post-Doom shooters have largely been left behind. If you wanted another game where you grab color-coded keycards through "gamey" enviorments at an unrealstic fast pace, you're kinda shit out of luck.

Ahh, but the democratization of game development means that somebody, somewhere, has nostalgia for that specific thing you miss. Enter Ion MaidenFury, the first commercial game in 19 years to be created from the Build Engine. The Build Engine is a FPS engine used to create games like Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Blood, all post-Doom mid 90s shooters. Right from the start, this gives Ion Fury a level of authenticity that other old school revivals miss.

The engine isnt just for nostalgia sake. The developers are intimately familiar with the style of games, and have been working on improving the engine to modern standards, while also keeping that specific game design intact. The level design its the game's strongest asset. There's no procedurally generated junk here. Its all huge, hand crafted maps, each one containing hundreds of bad guys, secrets, and interactables. The game keeps a steady stream of varied aesthetics for its levels, from mad scientist labs, shopping malls, and moving trains. You move crazy fast through sprawling environments that only sorta resemble reality. Enemies are not limited to showing up in certain gated rooms or set pieces, but throughout the entire stage, respawning more combinations as you open new parts of the map and backtrack. Oh yes, there's color-coded keycards and gated doors, but the game is fair about placement. Almost all rooms containing the keys have a camera system so you can see the outside corridors and refresh your memory about where the door for this coordinated card goes. There are various Exit signs that remind you of the way forward without blatantly telling you on a minimap or some other invasive UI element. Hitting a switch almost always has a very clear cause and effect so players are rarely stumbled about where exactly they show go next.

And yet this is still a game where every major element is guiding you towards exploration and experimentation that's fallen out of fashion in current FPS titles. There's no regenerating health, that handy developer shortcut so the player goes into every playtested area at exactly the health you want them to be. Whatever damage or ammo spent in a prior room, you carry with throughout. You need to constantly move around for supplies or secret stashes, and often have to use various weapons since your favorite won't always have ammo. Luckily, all the weapons in the game are quite fun, and useful right up until the end. Every weapon has an alt-fire mode, like the Revolver that locks on to enemies(think Overwatch's McRee) or an laser crossbow that turns into Hot Machine Gun Death when fully charged up. Enemies are very distinct from the environment, with visual and audio cues for all their attack patterns. The game does a decent job of introducing new enemies and finding devious combinations to constantly keep you on your toes. And there's just enough modern conventions to lower frustrations. Autosaves after clearing a significant hurdle or grabbing a key are in place, so no starting over from the beginning of the map in case you forget to save. There's collectible med kits you can use that will cut down on that times where you saved with 32 health and zero armor right before a hard fight.

Ion Fury, at its frequent best, reminds players of how deeply satisfying the post-Doom formula for shooters were. Challenging combat and no obvious way forward forces you to really get to know the environments as maps and not just cinematic shooting galleries. It gives the most vague pretenses to narrative context, as you move faster than basically any modern shooter, which makes the backtracking an enjoyable process. Its well paced, with boss fights and unique environmental problem solving, providing an adrenaline rush that's hard to put down. I can honestly say it stands tall with the very best of the 90s shooters, building on what makes them work with a modern polish and flair.
Okay I'm sold. And my purchase will help combat the idiots review bombing the game right now.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Still waiting for the achievements before I play. Sucks that they weren't ready for launch. If they are already tracking them why is it taking so damn long 😣

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How does this compare to Dusk? Which of the two should I get first?
They're really quite different, but we're quite blessed with throwback FPS games at the moment. I really like Dusk, and would definitely recommend it, I just think it comes down to player preference. It's more in the style of the earlier Monolith LithTech games with a splash of Quake. Are you more in the mood for that, or something that tries to pay homage to the positive elements of Duke, Shadow Warrior, and Blood?

I don't think there is a wrong answer. I'd be sure to play both.

Personally, my favourite out of all these throwback shooters so far is Amid Evil, and there is also the upcoming Wrath to look forward to, and I've heard good things about Hedon, though I believe that's a little more like a cross between something like Thief and Doom.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They're really quite different, but we're quite blessed with throwback FPS games at the moment. I really like Dusk, and would definitely recommend it, I just think it comes down to player preference. It's more in the style of the earlier Monolith LithTech games with a splash of Quake. Are you more in the mood for that, or something that tries to pay homage to the positive elements of Duke, Shadow Warrior, and Blood?

I don't think there is a wrong answer. I'd be sure to play both.

Personally, my favourite out of all these throwback shooters so far is Amid Evil, and there is also the upcoming Wrath to look forward to, and I've heard good things about Hedon, though I believe that's a little more like a cross between something like Thief and Doom.

Thanks for the quick and very detailed response. It really informed my decision. I'm gonna check this out first, since I loved Duke 3D.

Oct 25, 2017
I finished this yesterday.

Strange feeling. It's definitely one of the best, if not *the best* throwback shooter ever made. It certainly has in spades the thing that is most valued in the community: amazing level design. Every level is pumped full of detail, huge, and challenging. Honestly, I could go on for a long time about the game, and maybe some time I will.

Most of my attention has been toward the implosions of a toxic fanbase, evident on Steam and Twitter (and other places). Constant dev harassment. It sucks to see, as it has definitely impacted the bottom line of the game at this point. The amount of misinformation, or misrepresentation flying around about us, about the devs, etc... it has made it super hard for me to just enjoy my time with the game.

Ranmo

Oct 26, 2017
Started this last night. What a fantastic game. I could not put the game down. Love the music too.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I can see your point but...I really don't feel that's what I was trying to do. I just wanted to talk about it. I didn't intend to insult them or anything.

That's fine, though. I hate myself too. It's been a tough year for me and I have no reason to bring misery to anyone else. Clearly I was in the wrong to critique that review - I genuinely didn't intend what you seem to have read which makes me question everything. I guess I have no choice but to disappear for a while. Interacting here isn't healthy for someone in such a poor state as myself.

Just realize that the vast majority of people appreciates and respect your work. Don't focus on the 1% that just want to make everybody miserable.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I played a bit of the original Shadow Warrior for the first time earlier today. Had lots of fun but you can notice that it's over 20 Years old. I can never put exactly why I tend to drop these games a few levels in. Never played these back then so nostalgia can't carry them for me. But I got curious and decided to buy Ion Fury, just to see how a modern old scool shooter would feel and hoooly shit!! This clicks really well! This is SO much fun! I love the graphics, the general interactive feel and the leveldesign. Kinda miss the level end screens with time, missed secrets and enemies killed. Unless this is still the first level and the small loading was just to connect acts.
I hope the third difficulty level isn't a bad decision later down the line. But right now this feels perfect.

Also... honestly... fuck these guys who reviewbomb the game... over an apology, a donation and a changed soap... I never had the feeling that the original controversy was THAT big in it's reaction and the apology was good. But the counter reaction is a pure shitshow, completely blown out of proportion. Also sad to see that steams reviewbombing detection doesen't seem to work here.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alt fire for the Loverboy is basically for when you cant be arsed.

Completed it today, that
final wave of those big leaping bastards that come at you, thats pure evil

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I wonder what the future holds for this game. Hopefully it will have a lot of post launch support and the console versions will still be released. Or maybe this uncertainty only exists in my head?

All in all, this is a lovely FPS. I'm replaying the campaign trying to find all the secrets and the amount of care put into the game is really great.

Gamonbozia

Feb 25, 2019
At least they are still donating $10,000 to the Trevor Project (I'm assuming they didn't go back on THAT), which is a good thing. But the insensitive material in-game is apart of what started this whole controversy in the first place. They went back on their word to censor the insensitive parts of the game, so it seems like they don't really care about how insensitive or hateful it is, at the end of the day they just want the controversy to die out and to appease the people who are currently review-bombing them on steam. Seems like a huge mistake to me.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the game won't be censored after all:

I, for one, am happy that the OGAY sprite gets to stay.
I said this before, but I don't think many people really cared about that sprite. It was Voidpoint using their platform to spread hateful and transphobic messages (and what they discussed is a bad faith argument made to harm trans folk, it is hateful). Removing the leftover slur from the game, and everything else I think is the right thing to do. That sprite was just a lame joke to me that didn't land at best, and at worst was just indicative of larger issues at the studio with everything else going on.

So long as they are sincere with the rest of their previous statement, then I think it's ultimately fine, if not ideal. Though it's a shame they're acknowledging what is ultimately a concern troll on censorship by this type of crowd.

Last edited:

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Did any outlets talk about what happened last week? Didn't hear anything on the bombcast and can't remember the beastcast. Still need to listen to Waypoint.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Ah well. I had it in my wishlist for the upcoming month but guess i can remove it now

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Here is a long article about the whole mess and how a Resetera member wanted to create outrage (again) with the media jumping on it:

edit: removed because I don't want to get hateful messages all day

Last edited:

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Ah well. I had it in my wishlist for the upcoming month but guess i can remove it now

And that's the really frustrating thing here; everyone knows this isn't about a bottle of moisturiser anymore. They're taking a side, and after all the shit they've been wading through for the last couple of weeks, they must realise that.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just realize that the vast majority of people appreciates and respect your work. Don't focus on the 1% that just want to make everybody miserable.

Indeed. John is one of the best content creators around, flat out. And his assessment of that review was perfectly valid.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Here is a long article about the whole mess and how a Resetera member wanted to create outrage (again) with the media jumping on it:

[mod edit: link to hate content removed]
So the outrage was, as is usual here, absolutely nothing. I had no idea the soap was supposed to be a reference to something and I'm pretty sure a good 95% of the playerbase did not either, if they actually saw that in the first place as it's not hard to miss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Sorry, this is a hell of a bump, but quick question:

Does this game support gyro controls? I'd like to get it as I'm on an FPS kick right now, but gyro controls are a huge advantage to me as a controller user. I hate M&KB controls but I loved playing thru Doom 2016 on the Switch with gyro enabled, so being able to use my DS4 on this with gyro enabled would be awesome.

EDIT: Wound up buying this anyway. Fucking awesome game, I can tell it's dense with content and a true throwback to the classics. I haven't had too much trouble with the controls via the DS4, I just did a bit of remapping and it seems to control just fine. Obviously it's no M+KB or gyro but it feels good!

The visuals are excellent in this, love the voxel aesthetic and pure dedication to looking and feeling like an authentic 90s FPS. This is the Duke Nukem Forever we deserved. And out the same year as Doom Eternal? Great year for classic FPSes!

Last edited:

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
It's May 14 here, why can't I play this? Preloaded on Switch.

I was able to play the game at midnight (in France), no issue so far. Did you try to turn off & on your Switch, just for the sake of trying?

Btw, any other Switch users here tried the Gyro AIM? Am I the only thinking it's really not good compared to other games such as DOOM 2016 or Fortnite? It only moves on straight line and for big movements, not very little and small adjustment movements? I've been a bit disappointed by this, to the point I deactivated the gyro aim unfortunately. :/

Last edited:

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was able to play the game at midnight (in France), no issue so far. Did you try to turn off & on your Switch, just for the sake of trying?

Btw, any other Switch users here tried the Gyro AIM? Am I the only thinking it's really not good compared to other games such as DOOM 2016 or Fortnite? It only moves on straight line and for big movements, not very little and small adjustment movements? I've been a bit disappointed by this, to the point I deactivated the gyro aim unfortunately. :/

Unlocked for me 8am, didn't know third party isn't midnight always on Nintendo.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Game is good and fun so far. But it feels cheap sometimes. I play on the second difficulty and enemies are dead accurate and do a lot of damage. That mech boss fight was absolute garbage tier shit though. I hope there isn't more of this kind of boss fights. Really bad.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Finally. FINALLY. I beat the main campaign for the first time on Wanton Carnage. Took me 33.8 hours, and yet I only got 37% of the secrets. I have no idea why it would take me that long. I did save a lot. I did try to approach most encounters in the most perfect way possible, with lots of reloading. This game ended up being way longer than I anticipated. It's fantastic, but I'm just surprised that I spent that much time on it. Perhaps I was too meticulous.

There are bonus chapters and creator content but I am just spent on this game. Maybe later I'll take on that additional stuff.

For anyone that decides to give it a shot, just know that it's a 2020-era game in a 1995-era shell. It does not cheap out on content. You'll get your money's worth and then some.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I picked up the disc version for PS4 tonight. I tried out the version that was the disc for a couple of hours before downloading the patch. I wanted to see how bad the timing issue was. It's bad, but the game was still surprisingly playable.

So I closed the game and downloaded the patch. Ok, that's where I ran into some issues. The framerate is buttery smooth sure, but the aiming sensitivity is all messed up. New sensitivity and deadzone settings were included, but the aiming is far too sluggish now. I tried turning the sensitivity all the way up and zeroing out the deadzone on the right stick and it's still too heavy. I prefer the aiming sensitivity in version 1.00 by far. It isn't perfect but it was so much more responsive. I ended up uninstalling the game and reinstalling the disc version.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It will be interesting to se where they go from here. I'm sure multiplayer will be in.

I was unable to finish my on-disc playthrough. I got up to the last area and the game was too unstable. Any attempt to save, auto or manual, would crash the game back to the PS4 dashboard. Even patching up to the latest version wouldn't fix the issue. I had to abandon the playthrough.

The look sensitivity is all fucked up in the patched version, so I'm leaving this one on the shelf unless they fine tune it or add KB+M support or something.