• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Ion Fury Game Content Will Not Be Censored

26 Aug @ 1:25pm - terminx

Joint statement from Voidpoint and 3D Realms:

We've caused a recent controversy suggesting Ion Fury game content was to be censored.

We will absolutely NOT be censoring Ion Fury or any of our other games, now or in the future, including but not limited to by removing gags such as gaming's most controversial facial wash.

We do not support censorship of creative works of any kind and regret our initial decision to alter a sprite in the game instead of trusting our instincts. 3D Realms and Voidpoint stand together on this matter.

Last but not least, please respect our need to keep our community forums clean from hateful messages, spam, or off-topic threads. We recognize our mistake and have received your message loud and clear!
https://steamcommunity.com/games/562860/announcements/detail/1616150570017627014

This is in after a previous statement that read:
Members of Voidpoint's Ion Fury team have made sexist and transphobic comments, and included homophobic language in Ion Fury. We recognize these statements are insensitive, unacceptable, and counterproductive to causes of equality. We unequivocally apologize both for these comments and language as well as for any pain they have caused the gaming community, particularly women and members of the LGBTQ community. We take full responsibility for any damage that has been done to the relationships we've worked so hard to build.

Moving forward, Voidpoint will institute a zero-tolerance policy for this type of language and all employees and contractors will undergo mandatory sensitivity training. As part of our efforts to contribute to the work that must be done to further support these communities, we are donating $10,000 from Ion Fury's release day proceeds to The Trevor Project. We are also patching Ion Fury ASAP to remove all unacceptable language.
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/0...sy-ion-fury-developers-apologize-for-employee

New news, new thread. Sadly no pleasant news.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They walked back their walk-back. Impressive.

Also extremely disappointing. I imagine 3DR's leadership was behind this decision?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the communication about this game is so fucked up that all i know about it is that it was racist/transphobe and for half a week it wasn't, but now it is again
don't even know what kind of game it is

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is what I posted in the other thread, just reposting here:

I said this before, but I don't think many people really cared about that sprite. It was Voidpoint using their platform to spread hateful and transphobic messages (and what they discussed is a bad faith argument made to harm trans folk, it is hateful). Removing the leftover slur from the game, and everything else I think is the right thing to do. That sprite was just a lame joke to me that didn't land at best, and at worst was just indicative of larger issues at the studio with everything else going on.

So long as they are sincere with the rest of their previous statement, then I think it's ultimately fine, if not ideal. Though it's a shame they're acknowledging what is ultimately a concern troll on censorship by this type of crowd.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here I was reconsidering buying the game after the apology...

Well, one thing is for sure, I am not buying anymore.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Man they couldn't have handled this more poorly. They literally pissed everyone off lol

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I went from "Ooooh this looks so cool this'll probably be day one" to "Huh, that's a super nope from me" that fast.

You get the fans you deserve I guess

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the stupidly massive (and massively stupid) review-bombing on Steam and GOG, I'm not that surprised, but while I have no personal investment in that particular game (never intended to buy it), it's very disappointing. This makes them look very bad and weak-willed in my view. The review-bombing assholes don't need to be empowered in any way. Or maybe their devs threatened to quit or something. Either way, so childish.

This is even worse than if they had never altered the sprite in the first place to be honest.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
They walked back their walk-back. Impressive.

fd1.gif

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
What a shame. Imagine catering to those same individuals you call "fans" when they end up negatively review bomb your game about "SJWs" and finding loopholes on how to get a refund no matter what playtime they acquired on the game.

If that's the fan base the devs want, then by all means.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I was really surprised to see Jirard play this during his indie event after this stuff had come out unless he was completely oblivious to it. Sucks.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I said this before, but I don't think many people really cared about that sprite. It was Voidpoint using their platform to spread hateful and transphobic messages (and what they discussed is a bad faith argument made to harm trans folk, it is hateful). Removing the leftover slur from the game, and everything else I think is the right thing to do. That sprite was just a lame joke to me that didn't land at best, and at worst was just indicative of larger issues at the studio with everything else going on.

So long as they are sincere with the rest of their previous statement, then I think it's ultimately fine, if not ideal. Though it's a shame they're acknowledging what is ultimately a concern troll on censorship by this type of crowd.

This statement does not give me the impression that they're still removing the slur hidden in the wall though. And while you're right that the rhetoric and community they've fostered are far more harmful, it does make me question how genuine they were before with their apology. It also feels like such a simple first step to remove these jokes that I don't see how they can tackle the serious issues that they have when they can't stick to this one

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

I am pretty much on the same page. They are free to do what they want and get criticized for it and ultimately lose sales from folks who do not condone this shit. I feel like it is going to be a minority of folks compared to the Anti-SJW crowd that review bombed the game and perhaps had the devs shook.

Anyway, doing the right thing is not always about numbers and I will be doing my part in not supporting the devs.

Can someone point out what was supposed to be censored in the game?

Hidden texts about "Fagbag" and shampoo bottles named, "Ogay" (a pun on Olay).

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
This makes the apology come across as insincere. You'd think the review bombing incident would've helped them realize they made the right choice in the beginning.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man just fuck this. This game and it's companies are dead to me. I expected better from 3D Realms but that was my mistake I wont ever make again.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
User banned (permanent): linking and endorsing content from a hate movement, severe prior infractions including misogyny
Last edited by a moderator:

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
They're taking an anti-censorship stance? That's the wrong takeaway here, and they should know that. They just need to change a sprite and say that it was in poor taste -- not say they're succumbing to censors.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This statement does not give me the impression that they're still removing the slur hidden in the wall though. And while you're right that the rhetoric and community they've fostered are far more harmful, it does make me question how genuine they were before with their apology. It also feels like such a simple first step to remove these jokes that I don't see how they can tackle the serious issues that they have when they can't stick to this one

I had understood at the time that the original apology was entirely the work of 3DRealms, and that Voidpoint hadn't made a statement. Now I'm confused. This new statement is entirely the work of Voidpoint, right?

It seems as if one hand doesn't know what the other is doing now.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Here is a good article that explains everything:

You're not slick. Fuck off with that shit.
The media and ResetEra are using it as proof of homophobia, because of course they are. Although, as with everything else in this disaster of a situation, it wasn't there to be malicious; the devs just thought it was funny.

There was plenty malicious in that disaster of a situation.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Valve really needs to get their shit together when it comes to curbing review bombing. Honestly they'd be better off to just move to a new metric for "reviews" instead, because clearly "gamers" can't be trusted with...literally anything.

I'd comment on their walk-back, but my opinion hasn't changed on this studio. They're trash, and will remain trash.

Here is a good article that explains everything: [Mod Edit: Removed article from source linked to a hate movement]
Get out of here with this garbage. You're not fooling anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Won

Oct 27, 2017
That whole statement is a big uff. They crumbled hard. Can't believe the go with the whole "censorship" angle. That's a pretty damn fast way to torpedo all goodwill you ever had.

Mothballs

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
After the stupidly massive (and massively stupid) review-bombing on Steam and GOG, I'm not that surprised, but while I have no personal investment in that particular game (never intended to buy it), it's very disappointing. This makes them look very bad and weak-willed in my view. The review-bombing assholes don't need to be empowered in any way. Or maybe their devs threatened to quit or something. Either way, so childish.

This is even worse than if they had never altered the sprite in the first place to be honest.

Im fairly certain this can be broken down to money. The review bombing and drop in sales was drastic and they probably looked at the situation and saw what amounts to a vocal minority complaining about the insensitive nature of these "jokes" versus a much larger majority they would be alienating by censoring the gane. Capitalism baby.