• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I am a little late to all of this news that they are keeping the homophobic shit in the game and I am sorry if this was answered already (I can't read all 19 pages) but what is with the "Sophia Narwtiz" name that i keep coming across on Reddit and Twitter?

Alt-Righters keep calling her a "journalist", but as far as I can tell she is just some random person on Twitter claiming to be a "writer". But she doesn't seem to actually work for anyone like Kotaku or any of other major outlets. Yet these idiots keep holding up her tweets and "articles" up as if she is someone of consequence. She also seems to have some kind of hate-on for Era. I'm not gonna link her stuff because I prefer not to give shitty people a platform. I'm just curious as to whether or not I am supposed to know who she is or why I should care about what she has to say?

Did I miss something? Or is this just some random nobody?
She's a GGer, caters to that audience, she's made articles for The Daily Caller, she worked at Nichegamer for awhile and that's where she made her name in the gaming space, held AMAs on KotakuinAction, has an account on Kiwifarms and has even posted there a few times, and currently works for Colin Moriarty.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even get it. Like, even separating all of their horrible comments, the "Ogay" thing is the lamest, most bottom of the barrel joke you could come up with. I imagine even middle schoolers would think that's beneath them.

After the initial apology, I put this game on my wishlist for a deep sale but now I don't even care about it. What the hell is wrong with people? 3D Realms should have stuck with the initial statement.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even get it. Like, even separating all of their horrible comments, the "Ogay" thing is the lamest, most bottom of the barrel joke you could come up with. I imagine even middle schoolers would think that's beneath them.

I like how that sprite and the weird hidden noclip slur were literally all they had to change about the game itself and it wouldn't even have mattered if it had never been there, but removing it resulted in such a massive backlash from the fanbase they cultivated. Like, by all accounts the game itself is phenomenal. But a dumb middle-school joke on a small prop getting changed was enough to turn people against the whole game and company because the quality of the game itself matters less than owning the SJWs or whatever.

Anyway, the whole controversy got me to finally play Blood Fresh Supply instead so I'm happy for that.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I rescind my previous statement from the other thread expressing my good surprise at the response and subsequent pledge to remove the phobic content and offer a new statement:

What a fucking shit show Void Point and 3DR are. This decision has basically undermined their donation to The Trevor Project.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I follow -- you mean the disingenuous "argh you only CHOOSE to be offended" talking point, or...?

We might be talking about the same thing. "Virtue signalling" is often the term used for the accusation.

Maybe I'm oversensitive to it because I feel like I've been bringing it up a lot lately, But for me it was personally most visible with the Apu thing. Here was a documentary made by an Indian guy featuring a ton of people who are Indian or otherwise adjacent like Middle Easterners. But you dare to criticize the golden calf that is The Simpsons, and you get a whole bunch of people who try to silence that complaint, often by erasing the voices of Indian people with an insistance that everyone is distant from the issue - either that no one really cares and they're just doing this because they like to complain (as opposed to being personally affected), or that what they really want is to solve the whole of racism they should tackle bigger things (as opposed to those that effect them personally).

The "no one on Era plays video games" tactic comes from a similar position. If you know that you don't care about the issue, it's easier to accept that you're the good guy in the situation if you reframe yourself as the person who cares the most. So no one complaining cares about video games, it's only you, the poor innocent bigot, that does.

We're getting close to 2k20 and we still see things like these... I mean, why would you destroy your reputation like this? It's an unbelievable horrific move.
Still, I enjoyed the game very, very much. As devs, I'll continue supporting them.
People can change, guys, and attacking them isn't the right move, they'll just raise a barrier and won't hear anything.
I'll let the dust settle and try to contact them personally explaining why they fucked up.
Instead of dismissing someone's post with 3 letters it might be healthier for this discussion to actually add some substance to your post or just say nothing at all. Saying only "Lol" in this situation serves no purpose other than to mock and dismiss someone.

I'd like to think that people can change. Even personally, I'd like to think that my understanding of and approach to LGBT+ topics is far better than it was in the nineties, or even significantly better than just five years ago. But it should be self-evident that before we can acknowledge that things can have changed, things have to change.

The people involved were being engaged on the subject before this thread was posted. A transperson in their Discord was trying to explain the issue to them and then talked over it. They have multiple times shown an angry response instead of acknowledging their mistake.

At some point or other, they need to accept that they have an issue before they can change it. They have to want to be better for some reason. If they don't have that, they can reject any effort to change them.

Sure, maybe people can change. But maybe they could have had a Discord channel that didn't allow this sort of transphobic talk to begin with. Maybe they could have not included it in their game. All of these are ultimately hypothetical that don't resemble our reality. The reality that we have to react to is the one we actually live in and not the infinite amount that we don't.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
She's a GGer, caters to that audience, she's made articles for The Daily Caller, she worked at Nichegamer for awhile and that's where she made her name in the gaming space, held AMAs on KotakuinAction, has an account on Kiwifarms and has even posted there a few times, and currently works for Colin Moriarty.
Jesus, really? lol

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately if world peace were truly obtainable I'd like to think we'd have it by now but if in this day and age we still have wars and social issues plaguing the world then you can be sure it's going to be a constant that will never end.

Instead of dismissing someone's post with 3 letters it might be healthier for this discussion to actually add some substance to your post or just say nothing at all. Saying only "Lol" in this situation serves no purpose other than to mock and dismiss someone.

just to clarify - i know you aren't that original poster.

the reason people drive-by post like that is because they're tired of them. so so tired of them. they're just a tool bigots use to try to appear diplomatic.
that user has 3 posts (the last 2 made in December 2018), and the 3rd is a "hey maybe people can change" - after these Devs spewed hate speech, apologised, then walked back on the apology and started dropping alt-right bullet point arguments...yeah, ok, people can change. but not these types of people. they are who they are. and posts suggesting they aren't are glossing over what's happening here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
What is strange is in modern times you can be sure any hidden contentis gonna be found and exposed quickly, even a terrible joke. So how could they not anticipate that,even as indie devs?It is not as if it wasa game made in the 80's or 90's withno internet.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
just to clarify - i know you aren't that original poster.

the reason people drive-by post like that is because they're tired of them. so so tired of them. they're just a tool bigots use to try to appear diplomatic.
that user has 3 posts (the last 2 made in December 2018), and the 3rd is a "hey maybe people can change" - after these Devs spewed hate speech, apologised, then walked back on the apology and started dropping alt-right bullet point arguments...yeah, ok, people can change. but not these types of people. they are who they are. and posts suggesting they aren't are glossing over what's happening here.
Yeah I'm honestly just tired of it all. I've seen this song and dance before. It's the same rhetoric that comes off as concern trolling.

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
Shadow Warrior made the jump to modern day just fine.

It had the advantage of the new one coming out before the alt-right fully charged up, the originally being less well known and therefore less a touch stone and the original so mindbogglingly in racist as to be all but beyond defending.

I say "all but" because I have seen attempted defense, largely "They didn't do any of it with hate in their heart so its not racism, and you get hurt when you give the naked ladies standing around for you to ogle, so it is on the side of respecting women."

... I don't recall Blood being awful, so hey maybe build engine got at least one game that's not marred in gross shit in one way or another?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Disgusted. 3D Realms have been put in a bad position, but they should be ashamed to represent Voidpoint.

Handled this very poorly, and the game will continue to be review bombed as a result.

This decision was made by cowards who simply chose the path of least resistance because they do not wish to upset the toxic audience that this game has garnered. They don't want to push back against Voidpoint and they don't want to upset their toxic community, despite it clearly being the right thing to do.

Fuck 3D Realms and Voidpoint.

Nov 2, 2017
They're unquestionably undermining the cause, yes, but 10,000 dollars is 10,000 dollars, and it will save lives so long as they actually make that donation. Also, the removal of the hidden room with the in-your-face homophobia was a primary qualm of mine, and they seem to agree that it's homophobic. You can make a case for the "ogay" bottle that it's just a stupid joke that doesn't work, rather than an intentionally homophobic one; I'm guessing it *is* homophobic now that we know the devs are fuckfaces, but since one can still make the case, I'm not going to let it consume me in light of everything else going on here. If the cost of that "ogay" bottle is 10k to a charity that saves LGBT lives? I consider that even.

$10,000 to a good cause ain't nothing, but it's also not a get out of jail free card.

There's a saying that "punishable by fine" just means "legal for rich people", and this very much feels like the social equivalent of that except way shittier. In theory, fines are supposed to be calibrated to where it's enough of a pain to serve as punishment, but with charitywashing you just have companies picking a number that will never actually be enough to make them think twice about doing it again.

It's not even that new in the video games space in particular. There was a lot of this bullshit going on around Gamergate shitheads where awful fucking people made a charitable donation and presented it as if having sent some sum of money to an unquestionably good cause meant they were a force for good in the universe.

You get to draw your own line, but I don't see how a one-time donation to a good cause balances out a business plan that relies on openly catering to loud-mouthed bigots.

Handled this very poorly, and the game will continue to be review bombed as a result.

I overwhelmingly agree with you, but on this one I have to disagree.

I think the review bomb is going to stop basically immediately.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
We're getting close to 2k20 and we still see things like these... I mean, why would you destroy your reputation like this? It's an unbelievable horrific move.
Still, I enjoyed the game very, very much. As devs, I'll continue supporting them.
People can change, guys, and attacking them isn't the right move, they'll just raise a barrier and won't hear anything.
I'll let the dust settle and try to contact them personally explaining why they fucked up.

We are not their parents. I prefer to just not buy the game. There are many similar and maybe even way better games that are coming or are already available on the market. Let them disappear into oblivion.

What is strange is in modern times you can be sure any hidden contentis gonna be found and exposed quickly, even a terrible joke. So how could they not anticipate that,even as indie devs?It is not as if it wasa game made in the 80's or 90's withno internet.

There's only one answer to that and it is because they don't have a problem with it and it didn't even occur to them that it is offensive.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
$10,000 to a good cause ain't nothing, but it's also not a get out of jail free card.

I don't really disagree with that. When I say "Even", it doesn't mean that somehow I think 3DR / Voidpoint aren't shitty, or that we should stop criticizing them, or anything like that -- I just think if there's a way to quantify the damage that will be done from a bottle in a niche videogame played mostly (apparantly) by 40 year old manbabies with a texture that is 20-something-pixels by 40-something-pixels with a reading of being a homophobic slur (in an audience that is *already* filled, apparantly, with homophobes), it will not exceed the good that is done by that donation, should that donation actually take place. In fact, I suspect that that donation will do far, far more good than their game complete with homophobic language does bad.

And I'm considering that *even.* Which I'm not perscribing, or even recommending to anyone.

Cmdr Krunch

Aug 17, 2019
Canada

I don't think the review bombs will continue at all, in fact I'm pretty certain they will essentially cease very soon if they haven't already.

I've been lurking here awhile before deciding to make an account and I've definitely noticed some things. One which being I think a lot of people don't realize the difference in size and influence of one thread of forum users versus the Steam userbase. 3DRealms must have absolutely shit their pants when the review bombs started rolling in, for a relatively niche indie game this kind of thing is life or death. My guess is they panicked, looked at the numbers and said to themselves "wait a minute, why are we potentially angering 5 trillion ""GAMERS"" when we could just anger one forum thread of people who might refund the game?" Seems pretty logical to me, although morally questionable. I don't make the rounds of other gaming discussion sites that often but it did seem like Era was the only place where this story really blew up in any way.

It's all pretty unfortunate. The game is excellent and the blunders of Voidpoint and 3DR just hang above it like a dark cloud for those that actually care about the situation. I've already expressed how much I've enjoyed the game and tbh probably will continue to since they already have my money, but boy does it put into question if I'll be supporting the future releases of the devs or publisher. I was real pleased when they made the initial apology but now it's just kind of a disappointment.

In summary: I'm not very surprised, but I am a little sad.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
I understand the controversy. I think they've embarrassed themselves and I don't agree with the inclusion of of such insensitive and offending material but at the end of the day I'm still going to buy this when it comes to switch. They made poor choices but I can't believe that the entirety of the team that worked on this shares those views. I know that's probably an unpopular take but the game looks like a nostalgic trip that I'm excited to take.

Cmdr Krunch

Aug 17, 2019
Canada
I understand the controversy. I think they've embarrassed themselves and I don't agree with the inclusion of of such insensitive and offending material but at the end of the day I'm still going to buy this when it comes to switch. They made poor choices but I can't believe that the entirety of the team that worked on this shares those views. I know that's probably an unpopular take but the game looks like a nostalgic trip that I'm excited to take.
I by and large share your view. I'm someone who can easily separate art from artist and enjoy something as it is, but what really disappointed me was the way they made this nice apology and said they would try to be better and suddenly just turned around and gave a big "fuck you" to everyone they apologized to. That's just a dick move. Like I said in my previous post I understand why they did it and I'm not surprised but it's kinda sad that they can just morally flip flop when they are at risk of losing money.

Last edited:

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
I buy and large share your view. I'm someone who can easily separate art from artist and enjoy something as it is, but what really disappointed me was the way they made this nice apology and said they would try to be better and suddenly just turned around and gave a big "fuck you" to everyone they apologized to. That's just a dick move. Like I said in my previous post I understand why they did it and I'm not surprised but it's kinda sad that they can just morally flip flop when they are at risk of losing money.
And you're absolutely right. What's sad is that at the end of the day it's always about the money. We, as a society, are mired in that way of thinking. It's holding us back.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I hate creative people who think they & their art are above criticism. If your "creative vision" involves *insterwhatapplies*phobia, then have some fucking self reflection and make adjustments. That's not censorship, that's common fucking decency.

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US
BRB, getting a lil something to help out the Voidpoint guys' comedy writing skills
51bhGUbkrUL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Kurtofan

Oct 28, 2017
What a bunch of pieces of shit, not giving one cent to homophobic assholes (that includes 3D Realm)

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It had the advantage of the new one coming out before the alt-right fully charged up, the originally being less well known and therefore less a touch stone and the original so mindbogglingly in racist as to be all but beyond defending.

I say "all but" because I have seen attempted defense, largely "They didn't do any of it with hate in their heart so its not racism, and you get hurt when you give the naked ladies standing around for you to ogle, so it is on the side of respecting women."

... I don't recall Blood being awful, so hey maybe build engine got at least one game that's not marred in gross shit in one way or another?
Blood thankfully had nothing of that sort. It had a darker sense of humor but nothing sexist or homophobic.

There was one funny joke which had a guy looking like duke that is hanged. If you hit him with your pitchfork Caleb would say "shake it baby". That's basically how the humor is.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really surprising that Voidpoint is so accepting of the audience that is most fervently supporting them now. Ignoring the fact that they are notable for their propensity to harass, threaten, intimidate, and bully people for their games (either removal of content as in here and Yooka-Laylee or even games that make them feel bad like Gone Home), Voidpoint is this audience. Voidpoint isn't just being intentionally, maliciously bigoted to win over an audience, they just happen to share similar points of hate.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
So what's everyone thinking, is this completely on voidpoint, or 3D Realms, or both of'em?

Personally I won't touch anything from any of them again, but what's the census here?
It seems to me that Voidpoint and 3D Realms are butting heads a bit, since the latter put out another statement saying that they stand by their apology but Voidpoint insisted on leaving OGAY in.

I suspect the reality is that Terminix threatened to walk, and as the studio is young he is too valuable to lose so they capitulated. Now he's proven he has sway he probably thinks he's untouchable, hence putting out such an arrogant statement.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Why?

Their official Discord prior to the controversy was a rampant cess pool of these type of views going back months. Where most of them hang out and communicate with people. There was no effort to moderate or better that environment.

The items were in the game, open and obvious. Why are elements in the game added, signed off and shipped if this is a minority within the team?

Why if it is a minority within the team do Voidpoint themselves kick back on removing the homophobic artifact from the game?

If you want to buy the game you do you. That's your choice. Don't need to start to conjure things that run counter to everything we know just to feel better in doing so.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sigh - "not the hill to die on". :(

Ogay is not even funny, and never was. Replace it with something actually funny and it makes the game better and it does not use a word describing someone's sexuality as a juvenile insult.

Yup. They could just call it "Obay" (as in "obey") for that 1984 feel, or "Obae" (i.e. "bae") for the anachronistic language use or something. Don't get me wrong: these puns are not especially funny, but they also literally took me 5 seconds to come up with as a non-native speaker, are not any dumber than "Ogay", and are completely devoid of any discriminatory undertone.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even imagine being the kind of person who thinks the "joke" "ogay" is the "creative" hill worth dying on.
Creative freedom or human dignity.

People who choose the former to screw the latter are bad people.

They're free to make that choice of course, but I'm free to judge them for doing it.

If a homophobic insult (The people who say "but the context" deliberately ignore that it makes it worse. Calling people gay for using skin care products was and is a pervasive view and the context makes the Ogay sprite obviously homophobic) is worth more to you than the people you're hurting with such stuff then you need to really think about what your priorities are.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
What in the actual fuck?

"Last but not least, please respect our need to keep our community forums clean from hateful messages, spam, or off-topic threads. We recognize our mistake and have received your message loud and clear! "

... So at the end of the day, they chose to pander/cave/apologise to the cretins who review bombed their game due to "censorship"?

It's unclear who exactly they're talking to in that quote, but it sounds like the "mistake" they "recognised" was their initial apology.

In fact, the whole statement reads nothing like the initial apology. Wouldn't be surprised if that was 3D Realms speaking, while this is the raw feelings of Voidpoint coming through.

What's going to happen with the donation and the staff training?

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
So basically people can be bigots now and veil it under the guise of "art". There are literally people praising this decision. How much of a pathetic low life do you have to be to think this behaviour is acceptable? Can you imagine if the people who praised this were themselves mocked in a videogame, there would be calls for boycotts and blood, because double standards are the tool of the selfish.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Why?

Their official Discord prior to the controversy was a rampant cess pool of these type of views going back months. Where most of them hang out and communicate with people. There was no effort to moderate or better that environment.

The items were in the game, open and obvious. Why are elements in the game added, signed off and shipped if this is a minority within the team?

Why if it is a minority within the team do Voidpoint themselves kick back on removing the homophobic artifact from the game?

If you want to buy the game you do you. That's your choice. Don't need to start to conjure things that run counter to everything we know just to feel better in doing so.
I'll be honest in saying that I haven't been following it that closely. That being said I'm not trying to justify my purchase. The game looks fun. The inclusion of ridiculous juvenile jokes doesn't change that for me. They absolutely shouldn't be there but they are. You have every right to feel as strongly as you do. It's just not a dealbreaker for me. Maybe I'm part of the problem. Maybe I should take a harder stance on practices like these but for me it's strictly entertainment. Hopefully they end up doing the right thing and it becomes a non issue.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'll be honest in saying that I haven't been following it that closely. That being said I'm not trying to justify my purchase. The game looks fun. The inclusion of ridiculous juvenile jokes doesn't change that for me. They absolutely shouldn't be there but they are. You have every right to feel as strongly as you do. It's just not a dealbreaker for me. Maybe I'm part of the problem. Maybe I should take a harder stance on practices like these but for me it's strictly entertainment. Hopefully they end up doing the right thing and it becomes a non issue.
Appreciate the honesty but then you realise you don't even have the context to determine what's a deal-breaker or not, nor seem interested in knowing it. Which is whatever as you're buying the game regardless but does press a little when you start to suggest developers are blameless or this is solely down to a few items.

The crux of the issue was never those juvenile elements to me. It was the spewing of transphobic garbage from a developer to a trans member of their community while they let another member recommend beating sense into children. The homophobic and transphobic jokes and general attitude that they fostered and engaged with in their official channel means that it's less that these are "90's period humour" (which is what it's commonly dismissed as) and more indicative of their actual opinions of LGBT people.

So, as always, you do you if it's not a concern but please don't attempt to speak to or diminish things without a full appreciation of the situation.

Oct 30, 2017
Disgusted. 3D Realms have been put in a bad position, but they should be ashamed to represent Voidpoint.

This decision was made by cowards who simply chose the path of least resistance because they do not wish to upset the toxic audience that this game has garnered. They don't want to push back against Voidpoint and they don't want to upset their toxic community, despite it clearly being the right thing to do.

Fuck 3D Realms and Voidpoint.
Couldn't have said it better. Pack of snivelling worm cowards.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
If you want a fucking lame pun then just change it to `O-laid`. Still retains it's 'sex joke' and doesn't offend a particular group!

Everyone can enjoy!

Also, I bet these dicks wouldn't even batter an eyelid if the product launched with something like say a copyrighted infringing can of Coca Cola which was later replaced with a generic brand.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Creative freedom or human dignity.

People who choose the former to screw the latter are bad people.

They're free to make that choice of course, but I'm free to judge them for doing it.

If a homophobic insult (The people who say "but the context" deliberately ignore that it makes it worse. Calling people gay for using skin care products was and is a pervasive view and the context makes the Ogay sprite obviously homophobic) is worth more to you than the people you're hurting with such stuff then you need to really think about what your priorities are.

These people don't care about creative freedom. I imagine if a game is made and the villains are based on them, they would review bomb and cry.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Won't someone think of the artistic integrity of ogay and f**gbag?

I love how they get on their high horse over some ridiculous school yard garbage. I will never purchase a game from these clowns.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The initial statement (largely from 3D Realms, I'm assuming) was a good example of how to actually apologise, enough so that I was willing to consider buying the game once it comes to Switch after taking it off my Steam wishlist when the initial shit came out. Shame they have to double down on the shitbaggery and ruin that goodwill. 3D Realms seemingly standing behind the devs means I won't trust anything they publish in the future, either.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not worried about the childish pun, but the discord conversations and "didn't know it was a slur" response puts this walkback in a different light. I hope they at least make good on their donation promise.
Yeah no one gave much of a shit about Ogay. They've literally done everything possible to piss off as many people as possible. This should settle the matter for anyone that thought their first apology was genuine.

Furthermore, wasn't steam supposed to do something about review bombing for stupid shit like this? I guess not.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The initial statement (largely from 3D Realms, I'm assuming) was a good example of how to actually apologise, enough so that I was willing to consider buying the game once it comes to Switch after taking it off my Steam wishlist when the initial shit came out. Shame they have to double down on the shitbaggery and ruin that goodwill. 3D Realms seemingly standing behind the devs means I won't trust anything they publish in the future, either.

From the looks of it it might have been written by a PR agency.