• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
Ion Maiden reveal happening this Wednesday!

9Zmq2gL.jpg

For those that don't know, Ion Maiden is a shooter that's coupling truly retro gameplay with truly retro tech, using the original Build engine and its ideas, while taking advantage of 20 years of community know-how to create a Build engine shooter that wouldn't have been possible in 1996/1997. The team's comprised of veteran modders from the 1990s FPS community, including EDuke32 vets and Duke Nukem 3D mappers, who have created a brand new 8-bit palette, amplifying the era's original aesthetic and creative techniques (think Mega Man 9 and 10) for a modern audience. Considering the team's pedigree (they're like shooter historians who happen to be seriously talented engineers and designers) this project's in good hands!

bomb.gif

tumblr_or7fdmTLCp1u8zqvfo1_1280.png

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Awesome!

Please do some mad tech stuff like making crazy ai or mad number of enemies like a modern system could push with an older engine :)

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why but I read Iron maiden and anticipated seeing eddie the head as the player

X68k

Oct 25, 2017
so im super happy this is still happening despite bombshell failing so badly.

with this, overload, dusk, and amid evil coming out soon we're finally getting some truly great traditional fps' again

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
The screenshots just give off having the potential of it becoming the Shovel Knight of old-school FPSes.

OP
OP
Mr. Tibbs

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
I believe 3D Realms is publishing and the game is being developed by Voidpoint, an independent venture founded by the EDuke32 guys, TerminX and Hendricks266. Work began on the game in early 2015, as a stand-alone spin-off prequel for Interceptor's Bombshell game, but since then, the scope expanded considerably and the game is now a full commercial product. The developers' chose the name Ion Maiden to distance themselves from the negativity associated with Bombshell (2016), a poorly received isometric shooter from Interceptor Entertainment, a studio which declared bankruptcy in 2016. A new team called Slipgate Studios was founded in 2017 with many of the same team members from Interceptor.

Ion Maiden is running on EDuke32, which was built in 2004 by TerminX and continuously developed over the following decade with a view to preserving the original developers' intent of Duke Nukem 3D and to make it playable and enhanced on modern hardware. One of the team members, Cage (you can see his amazing work in action here), created a brand new 8-bit palette, which all of Voidpoint's assets will use, essentially turning the era's original aesthetic and creative techniques up to 11 (think Mega Man 9 and 10), and help avoid this game have its own Build identity.

CxxZ9DYXcAAm-HP.png

The score's being made by someone from the European C64/Amiga demo scene who has been making mod tracker music for about 20 years. There's some seriously talented mappers involved, with the levels being made with the hallmarks of classic shooters in mind, including interconnecting areas, interactivity, and secrets. All of the weapons have either an alt fire or an alternate ammo type which you switch by pressing alt fire. Definitely one to watch!

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
I fell in love with Duke 3D back in the day and dabbled in Build somewhat. I made a crude version of my house. I'm really interested to see more about this. I love the name and the screenshots are making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

tbyte64

Dec 30, 2017
I believe 3D Realms is publishing and the game is being developed by Voidpoint, an independent venture founded by the EDuke32 guys, TerminX and Hendricks266. Work began on the game in early 2015, as a stand-alone spin-off prequel for Interceptor's Bombshell game, but since then, the scope expanded considerably and the game is now a full commercial product. The developers' chose the name Ion Maiden to distance themselves from the negativity associated with Bombshell (2016), a poorly received isometric shooter from Interceptor Entertainment, a studio which declared bankruptcy in 2016. A new team called Slipgate Studios was founded in 2017 with many of the same team members from Interceptor.

Ion Maiden is running on EDuke32, which was built in 2004 by TerminX and continuously developed over the following decade with a view to preserving the original developers' intent of Duke Nukem 3D and to make it playable and enhanced on modern hardware. One of the team members, Cage (you can see his amazing work in action here), created a brand new 8-bit palette, which all of Voidpoint's assets will use, essentially turning the era's original aesthetic and creative techniques up to 11 (think Mega Man 9 and 10), and help avoid this game have its own Build identity.

CxxZ9DYXcAAm-HP.png

The score's being made by someone from the European C64/Amiga demo scene who has been making mod tracker music for about 20 years. There's some seriously talented mappers involved, with the levels being made with the hallmarks of classic shooters in mind, including interconnecting areas, interactivity, and secrets. All of the weapons have either an alt fire or an alternate ammo type which you switch by pressing alt fire. Definitely one to watch!
Is it actually going to run on Build, or just inspired by it? Meaning would I be able to pop it into my 486 and play it (in 320x240)? The screenshots look hi-res with texture filtering, but I assume it can scale down if it's using the actual Build engine.

I have been following this the second it was concieved, posting everything on our own little news site. I saw the older threads and i must say Mr. Tibbs i love your dedication on not only this but also older retro gems. I cant wait for the reveal.

We should have a standalone Build engine TC thread here.

Is it actually going to run on Build, or just inspired by it? Meaning would I be able to pop it into my 486 and play it (in 320x240)? The screenshots look hi-res with texture filtering, but I assume it can scale down if it's using the actual Build engine.
Dp bc on mobile, but it runs Eduke32, a source port, in the "classic" renderer. So it will look pixelated a little bit but no, wont run on DOS or 486.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Finally!
I've been following this game ever since it was announced, so excited to see revealed.
It looks very promising so far. It's like they picked and grabbed from all the great 90's fps gamrs, some Doom here and some Duke 3D here :)

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Oh man that looks amazing. I still love older fps engines and it's great seeing a modern game pick up that old tech instead of just trying to match/fake it with modern tech.

OP
OP
Mr. Tibbs

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
It's running on EDuke32, so it won't be able to run on 486 unfortunately. To get EDuke32 to run on DOS would require getting the entire project building under DJGPP, which would involve reintroducing all the hardware code which has long been ripped out. So, no, while that would be an awesome easter egg, and would make for a great gaming news story, it's not possible at this time!

I have been following this the second it was concieved, posting everything on our own little news site. I saw the older threads and i must say Mr. Tibbs i love your dedication on not only this but also older retro gems. I cant wait for the reveal.

We should have a standalone Build engine TC thread here.

Thanks, mate! Based on the developers previous work, I'm confident Ion Maiden will be a quality game.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I was planning to do something similar. Well glad I dont have to, and can set back and enjoy their work!

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Spent ages learning the build level editor. That thing was so strange and unintuitive at times but also a lot of fun.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

tbyte64

Dec 30, 2017
Dp bc on mobile, but it runs Eduke32, a source port, in the "classic" renderer. So it will look pixelated a little bit but no, wont run on DOS or 486.
It's running on EDuke32, so it won't be able to run on 486 unfortunately. To get EDuke32 to run on DOS would require getting the entire project building under DJGPP, which would involve reintroducing all the hardware code which has long been ripped out. So, no, while that would be an awesome easter egg, and would make for a great gaming news story, it's not possible at this time!
I see, thanks guys. Looking at the EDuke32 wiki it looks like they added new scripting APIs to the engine, I'm guessing this game will make use of those as well, so dropping the .GRP file from the game to a DOS Build game is also out of the question :P

However, looks like it supports 320x240 so I'm still happy :)

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
As someone who really liked the idea of Bombshell and was disappointed to see the game turn out so poorly, I'm really excited for Ion. Everything I've seen so far makes it look like the equivalent of a lost classic from the late 90s.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool! Reminds me that Blood is still the only other big Build engine shooter without a sourceport, and that should be rectified asap

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
The score's being made by someone from the European C64/Amiga demo scene who has been making mod tracker music for about 20 years.

Oh, that one I didn't know. I thought they went from MIDI in original Build Engine games right to standard prerecorded music in this game. If it's actual tracker music, then it's yet another reason to be excited.
If not, well... they have some really talented guys in the scene, so it might be still good anyway.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
It would be cool if it was one of those "available right now" situations. Could use more old school shooters.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus even the name sounds 90's and awesome.

Iron Maiden are a band that Started in 1975 I'd have you know, but their 1st album was released in 1980, pffft 90's

Also there is already a Iron Maiden Mobile game, wish it would come to the Switch

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

I could see Manager of the Band Iron Maiden Rod Smallwood having a word about the name similarities.

Status
Not open for further replies.