• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Since 12.0.1, sometimes when I open an app I'll get a static screen of where I left that app and it's completely unresponsive for about 3 seconds before everything goes back to normal. Not sure if there were changes to RAM management or what but it's really annoying. This is on an iPhone SE. I've mostly noticed it when opening up the App Store or Apple Music.

Oct 27, 2017
Hm. On my Pro you have to hold on the space bar to activate the cursor and slide it around where you want.

Then, still holding the 'mouse', tap with another finger on the keyboard. This activates highlights, so tha now when you slide around it's text selection.
Huh, this seems to work, so thanks. Kind of a weird change though, but maybe I'm just not used to it.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Hm. On my Pro you have to hold on the space bar to activate the cursor and slide it around where you want.

Then, still holding the 'mouse', tap with another finger on the keyboard. This activates highlights, so that now when you slide around it's text selection.
So that's how you do it!

However, the issue that occurs is when you use your finger to move the text selection.
As soon as I do, it simply highlights the whole text and I can't move it back.

Seems to work fine elsewhere, but selecting text in this text box has issues.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
So that's how you do it!

However, the issue that occurs is when you use your finger to move the text selection.
As soon as I do, it simply highlights the whole text and I can't move it back.

You mean like after you've let go of the 'mouse' and try to adjust it? Yeah I haven't messed with it too much as I'm mostly on my phone and using the double 3D Touch, but I'll have to try it out.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
ResetEra's post editor has been broken on iOS for a long time now. It's the site.
It doesn't handle line breaks properly either, so if I copy a post to a text editor and paste it back on the site, it ends up with a lot of extra blank lines.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I chalked the text box issue up to the Legacy nature of the theme I'm using.

Is it broken on the new "unusable" themes?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since iOS 12 came out the Mail app has intermittently had a runaway background process. I can usually tell because the iPhone gets really hot. Is anyone else experiencing this? I have no idea what it's doing, but it's burning through my battery.
7m71Nh9.jpg

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is sms forwarding completely broken in iOS 12? can't get it to work at all

edit: seems to be an issue with the XS specifically?

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ever since iOS 12 came out the Mail app has intermittently had a runaway background process. I can usually tell because the iPhone gets really hot. Is anyone else experiencing this? I have no idea what it's doing, but it's burning through my battery.
7m71Nh9.jpg

Do you have any exchange accounts that could be messed up and constantly trying to authorize? I can only think to sign out then back into your email accounts to see if that fixes it

is sms forwarding completely broken in iOS 12? can't get it to work at all

edit: seems to be an issue with the XS specifically?

Yeah it's an issue with the XS. Some part of the dual-SIM setup is fucking everything up, even though it's not active yet. 12.0.1 fixed it for me, but apparently didn't for other people.

Signing out and in won't fix it, gotta wait for a patch

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any exchange accounts that could be messed up and constantly trying to authorize? I can only think to sign out then back into your email accounts to see if that fixes it

Nope, all my accounts are Gmail-based, aside from the iCloud account. I've never had an issue prior to iOS 12. The Gmail accounts are set to fetch every 15 mins. It's obviously getting hung up on something though. Maybe I can find something in the logs next time I see it happening.

Oct 27, 2017
Newnan, GA
I've got a weird problem with photos that I upload to Facebook from the Photo app. The all seem to have dark black artifact lines across them. If I upload them directly from the Facebook app I don't have that problem though. Has anyone else experienced this? Here is an example:

Photo uploaded from Photos App:
44422886_10100343918267205_1751751584754171904_n.jpg

Photo uploaded directly from Facebook:
44326148_10100344021405515_2342511490071789568_n.jpg

They are the same exact picture file, the second one was just zoomed in a bit to make a profile pic.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if it is safari or gestures on iOS, I have this annoying bug (especially on era) where the back swipe to previous page makes everything completely unresponsive for a few seconds.

Also, anyone know of any app that can control MPC-HC on a computer?

Last edited:

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I finally went to the Genius Bar because of the terrible battery life of my iPhone X. They weren't able to find any issues and just told me to disable background app refresh for Spotify and update to iOS 12.0.1. Great.

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason my iPad an iPad aren't syncing with each other, like the safari isn't showing me tabs open on other devices and passwords aren't synced. Anyone have an idea why?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I finally went to the Genius Bar because of the terrible battery life of my iPhone X. They weren't able to find any issues and just told me to disable background app refresh for Spotify and update to iOS 12.0.1. Great.
I don't know what else they could do. They have tools that can see the battery health, and if it checks out then it must be software related. Did you already try restoring and starting fresh?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Is there a way to make youtube (on iPad Pro) to load videos on 1080p? This is the only device in my house that 90% of the time loads them at 720p or even less. Internet speed is not the problem, I have 100mbps cable. This is annoying, feels like they do it to save battery power (?).

Edit. I know how to manually change it video by video, I just want it to default to the best resolution possible.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
Is there a way to make youtube (on iPad Pro) to load videos on 1080p? This is the only device in my house that 90% of the time loads them at 720p or even less. Internet speed is not the problem, I have 100mbps cable. This is annoying, feels like they do it to save battery power (?).

Edit. I know how to manually change it video by video, I just want it to default to the best resolution possible.

I was never able to.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my wife an Xr, and after restoring her iCloud backup I noticed that a bunch of her contacts were missing. It turns out that the missing contacts were associated with her work's exchange contact group. Apparently after she added her work email, it defaulted that to be the group any new contact is added to.

While adding her Exchange mailbox to the new phone will restore them, what's the easiest way to migrate these contacts to iCloud? Remotely, it doesn't appear her work provides OWA, but she can access Outlook through Citrix. Outlook only seems to export as CSV or PST though.

Is there any easy/free app to dump them from her old phone? I haven't wiped it yet.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Just got my wife an Xr, and after restoring her iCloud backup I noticed that a bunch of her contacts were missing. It turns out that the missing contacts were associated with her work's exchange contact group. Apparently after she added her work email, it defaulted that to be the group any new contact is added to.

While adding her Exchange mailbox to the new phone will restore them, what's the easiest way to migrate these contacts to iCloud? Remotely, it doesn't appear her work provides OWA, but she can access Outlook through Citrix. Outlook only seems to export as CSV or PST though.

Is there any easy/free app to dump them from her old phone? I haven't wiped it yet.

I've used this app for years to sync my contacts between Google and iCloud.
Description says it work for Exchange as well.

May work for you.

Contacts Sync for Google Gmail by Playa Apps
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/contacts-sync-for-google-gmail/id454390333?mt=8

They also make this app which seems less Google specific.

Contact Mover & Account Sync by Playa Apps
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/contact-mover-account-sync/id582605968?mt=8

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure if iPhone lets you move contacts between locations, but if she has the same account set up on Mac, she can just select all the contacts and drag them to her iCloud list in the Contacts app.

Oct 27, 2017
Getting a weird thing now where a bunch of apps are doing some background activity and draining the battery on my iPad. iPhone seems fine though.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't wanna make a thread so I'll just put this here: I love apples service. Some people might remember my issue with Bluetooth audio. Super minor, and most people can't even tell. I don't even know if it's my phone or my car or some weird combo of both.

Called Apple today and told them I did all of the troubleshooting stuff they could imagine and they are shipping me a brand new X no charge. Right at the end of the my 1 year warranty so now I'll have a new battery and everything to work with. Thanks Apple.

Wimps

Oct 27, 2017
I've been having some touch screen lag the past few weeks. My phone reacts sluggishly when I touch it, it's clearly lagging. I rebooted it last night and that seemed to be a fix, but now it's back. Wonder what it is. Can't seem to find a recalibration of the touch screen anywhere... Should I just make an appointment with the Genius bar or can I fix this myself?

Using an iPhone X.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
I've been having some touch screen lag the past few weeks. My phone reacts sluggishly when I touch it, it's clearly lagging. I rebooted it last night and that seemed to be a fix, but now it's back. Wonder what it is. Can't seem to find a recalibration of the touch screen anywhere... Should I just make an appointment with the Genius bar or can I fix this myself?

Using an iPhone X.

You can try doing a reset without erasing everything

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

Using an iPhone X.
Do what I did and call Apple and have them send you a replacement phone before your warranty is over.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Anyone ever have problems sending GIFs? I can do picture, video, text, or whatever combination of those as MMS but as soon as I try to send a gif I get "failed to send" errors.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Is this GIF straight from the images addon in Messages App Store? or copy and pasted from safari?
Tried both without luck. Also tried the GIPHY Messages app. Pretty sure I could send them before but I don't send a ton so it could've been broken for awhile. Switched phones this weekend too but doesn't seem like MMS is broken in general. Just gifs (even images copy/pasted from Safari work fine).

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't wanna make a thread so I'll just put this here: I love apples service. Some people might remember my issue with Bluetooth audio. Super minor, and most people can't even tell. I don't even know if it's my phone or my car or some weird combo of both.

Called Apple today and told them I did all of the troubleshooting stuff they could imagine and they are shipping me a brand new X no charge. Right at the end of the my 1 year warranty so now I'll have a new battery and everything to work with. Thanks Apple.
iOS 12 has almost completely fixed the iPhone X Bluetooth issues I have with Mazda. There are still some occasional dropouts and times when audio plays fast like it's catching up after some dropout that it managed to buffer through, but now at least it's usable. On iOS 11, it was dropping out every few seconds.

Oct 25, 2017
First time doing a FaceTime call post-iOS 12 and wtf, this UI change is awful. Flip Camera and Mute, two things that are used frequently and that you need quick access to, are now hidden behind a stupid submenu. Why? Who at Apple thought this was a good idea?

Hoping this crap gets reverted ASAP in the 12.1 beta(s).
Yep, this shit was huge shock. I use the camera flip at least 5 times per Facetime (show off dog/environment/other person). They need to change it back.

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
I still haven't updated my iPad 2018 to iOS 12, but my X is getting along pretty well on it. Curious about 12.1.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
iOS 12 has almost completely fixed the iPhone X Bluetooth issues I have with Mazda. There are still some occasional dropouts and times when audio plays fast like it's catching up after some dropout that it managed to buffer through, but now at least it's usable. On iOS 11, it was dropping out every few seconds.
I actually didn't experience the issue until iOS 12. I have no idea what causes it because I don't have the issue in my friends Mazda. I'm praying it's some kind of issue with the Bluetooth antenna on my phone. My iPhone 6S on iOS12 works fine in my car

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Okay. I am really really over iOS 12's apparently horrible memory management on my 7+. It's terribly horribly bad. Apps are only open for a little while before they have to reload. I can have one app open at all and it still reloads itself if I come back to my phone later. The Music app is bad at this too. And today I had the app completely purge its memory and reset itself as if it was just opened again while in the middle of a song. But the weird part is it actually loaded back up the playlist I was in, but re-shuffled the songs and had a different starting song selected than what was actually playing. I really really hope 12.1 fixes this tomorrow. It's ridiculous. And it's worse with apps that don't remember where you were when they were quit. Twitter remembers where you were in your timeline if you quit the app which is a nice touch, but like no one else does. Reddit is the worst. I can spend hours scrolling through my timeline only to have it completely reset at random and have to start at the top again.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I actually didn't experience the issue until iOS 12. I have no idea what causes it because I don't have the issue in my friends Mazda. I'm praying it's some kind of issue with the Bluetooth antenna on my phone. My iPhone 6S on iOS12 works fine in my car
I was actually really close to going to Apple about it because it was just so annoying. I was almost convinced my problem was due to faulty (or just a weak) Bluetooth signal coming out of the X. I've a bunch of other people online having the exact same issue.

Anyway, at the very least you get a unit with a fresh battery. I wouldn't mind that myself.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I was actually really close to going to Apple about it because it was just so annoying. I was almost convinced my problem was due to faulty (or just a weak) Bluetooth signal coming out of the X. I've a bunch of other people online having the exact same issue.

Anyway, at the very least you get a unit with a fresh battery. I wouldn't mind that myself.
Mind linking to some people with the issue? I can't imagine it's a software thing at this point, assuming it's the same issue. Why hasn't it gone away for me then? I've done every type of restore u can think of

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't quite sure whether to ask this here or in the Programming OT: If I give an app permission to access my Photos library, does it have full access all the time (i.e. in the background), or does it require user interaction (i.e. manually selecting pictures in the Photos picker)?

Context: I've recently installed the Facebook app. I'd like to share pictures with my friends once in a while, but I don't want to give Facebook access to my entire library.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Lucky you!

I rebooted my phone and the issue seems resolved... For now... If it comes back I'll be sure to call 'em.
You know what, my sister in law had that exact same issue I just remembered. She kept complaining about it and how it would go away with a reboot. She took it in and they said the screen was failing and they replaced her device. Definitely take it in if it happens even one more time