• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else having an issue with iCloud mail-specifically sending messages? Mine are all stuck in my outbox and of course I'm trying to contact recruiters!

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else having an issue with iCloud mail-specifically sending messages? Mine are all stuck in my outbox and of course I'm trying to contact recruiters!
Make sure your router isn't blocking the iCloud servers. I know my Telekom one does by default (it only has whitelisted a bunch but the numeral prefix is ever increasing so it eventually failed to send until I turned off that setting).

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I was hoping 12.1 might solve my problem of sending GIFs over MMS but no luck. It's such a dumb issue but I feel like I need to take it into a certified Apple partner since I've gone this far already (tried sending GIF using different methods, reset network settings, factory reset with and without restoring from iCloud, put my SIM into another phone which worked, called support and they had all these same suggestions and some settings to double-check). I feel like I don't even care about it but now that I know it's broken and it's a new phone I should have it fixed on the principle of the matter.

Phone support said it could be a hardware issue based on my troubleshooting steps but that would be one weird hardware issue.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god. 12.1 fixes that problem where two people sharing an iCloud account on two phones would be merged into one iMessage conversation. It made chatting with one or the other of a couple I know impossible.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'll post this here as well. 12.1 broke my shortcuts Siri intigration. It says that something is wrong with the app whenever I try to trigger a shortcut through Siri. It works fine through the app. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app as we all restarting my phone but it still says it.

Anyone else with this issue?

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god. 12.1 fixes that problem where two people sharing an iCloud account on two phones would be merged into one iMessage conversation. It made chatting with one or the other of a couple I know impossible.
Why would you share the same iCloud account though, merging conversations with the same iCloud account should be expected behaviour.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got a bug with my text tone defaulting to some random sound I've never used. I changed it back and it keeps happening again. :/

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I posted in the XR thread too but has anyone successfully sent GIFs as MMS from an XR? I'm just trying to get more information before I talk to my carrier again, but nobody seems to use SMS/MMS so it's impossible to find out if all XR users are having the problem or not.

MmmSkyscraper

Oct 25, 2017
Updated to 12.1 yesterday on my 6S. Took a photo this morning and the phone shut down, then got a notification that peak power wasn't possible so performance has been limited. Battery health was 87% on 12.0 and still 87% on 12.1 so no idea what's going on there. Already had the battery recall done, that was a while ago.

I've got a bug with my text tone defaulting to some random sound I've never used. I changed it back and it keeps happening again. :/

I got a text earlier and the default ding was playing at alternating volume but always distorted af.

This update is great /s

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Continuing to come upon more bugs with 12.1.

When I call someone for the first time since the update it pops up this message saying my original line isn't available, and do I want to use the other instead? I hit yes and it makes the call, but it's clear this is a bug related to the new dual sim feature that was just added. It seems to think I've removed a sim, so it's asking me if I want to use the other line to make the call. Harmless but annoying.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
So after nearly one full year with my X, it's definitely the best phone I've ever owned.

Pepiope

Oct 25, 2017
So I can disable the lock button from activating Siri, but can I add shutdown back to the button?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, iOS must have some incredibly shitty logic to decide what to autoplay on connecting to my car's bluetooth device. I play a podcast. Go into a store and come back. And it jumps to the music app on a reconnect. -_-

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to bring this back but I'm still having this issue and now I'm on my 2nd replacement! So it has to be some software issue. Also the thing is it only started with the iOS12 beta. I wish I could go back to 11 and test it
As with all issues that don't go away with a new device... have you tried setting the phone up as new? (I know....... the option NO ONE EVER wants to hear or consider)

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As with all issues that don't go away with a new device... have you tried setting the phone up as new? (I know....... the option NO ONE EVER wants to hear or consider)
With messages in iCloud now it's soooo much easier to cope now. I've set a secondary iPhone as new, signed to my account and really I'm not missing much of anything at all. Most important apps save everything to some sort of cloud these days, messages are there, photos are there, passwords, everything. Maybe you lose some game saves if you care much for that, or some statistical metadata settings. But I would now definetly set up my main driver as new if I had to. But don't feel any need tbh.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Yup I did that with my original and with the replacement and now with the 2nd. With my 2nd replacement I haven't updated to iOS12 yet. Going to make sure theres no issue on iOS11 before I upgrade. At least then I'll be able to pinpoint the issue and move on with my life lol

edit: I'm also installing my apps one at a time practically..trying to see if it's possible that something is using my phone's resources in the background, causing the bluetooth signal to degrade
Wow, iOS must have some incredibly shitty logic to decide what to autoplay on connecting to my car's bluetooth device. I play a podcast. Go into a store and come back. And it jumps to the music app on a reconnect. -_-
I wonder if it's actually your car that's the issue then. My car usually continues where I left off.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
It's just a Bluetooth connection, not car play. . Had no problems with my previous phone (Pixel XL) which always resumed from the last app.
Mine is just bluetooth connection as well. I've just started listening to podcasts and I've been conscience of whether or not it resumes from the podcast or a music app. If I don't listen to any media from the time I exit to the time I return to the car, it always seems to resume. Must be a combination of iOS and the way it talks to your car.

edit: even something as small as seeing a video ad on Safari can cause it to not resume properly though

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I was hoping 12.1 might solve my problem of sending GIFs over MMS but no luck. It's such a dumb issue but I feel like I need to take it into a certified Apple partner since I've gone this far already (tried sending GIF using different methods, reset network settings, factory reset with and without restoring from iCloud, put my SIM into another phone which worked, called support and they had all these same suggestions and some settings to double-check). I feel like I don't even care about it but now that I know it's broken and it's a new phone I should have it fixed on the principle of the matter.

Phone support said it could be a hardware issue based on my troubleshooting steps but that would be one weird hardware issue.

Check with your carrier. I had issues of media not sending on AT&T and it turned out to be some shit on their backend and had to re-added me to some shit and I had to power my phone off while they did it. Then when I recorrected I got flooded with texts I never knew I got.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
edit: even something as small as seeing a video ad on Safari can cause it to not resume properly though

That might be it! I had visited a recipe page while in the store. I think there was an autoplay video. That is still a bad implementation I would say.

Also, does Siri not listen for 'Hey Siri' through the car's microphone?

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Check with your carrier. I had issues of media not sending on AT&T and it turned out to be some shit on their backend and had to re-added me to some shit and I had to power my phone off while they did it. Then when I recorrected I got flooded with texts I never knew I got.
I thought that but it did work if I put my SIM in my old phone. I've sort of stopped caring but I might try to see it through still.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Face ID stopped working on my X today. It wouldn't recognize my face anymore, no matter how often I tried. Resetting it didn't work either. It either failed with an error message ("Face ID not available" or something similar), or it kept saying "Move your phone lower/higher" without ever recognizing my face. It only worked after restarting the phone.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Randomly had the top speaker on my XS stop working. All audio only came through the bottom speaker.

Hard reset fixed it.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I hate how they make iPad gesture similar to iPhone in iOS 12. The one in iOS 11 is better IMO
I think they are great per se, they just suck because you have no indicator on any iPad but the new Pros. I still often get undesired results when trying to swipe between apps and I've been living with them since the first dev beta. As much as people want the homebar to be gone on the iPhone X series, iOS 12 on iPad made me realize why it needs to be there.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think they are great per se, they just suck because you have no indicator on any iPad but the new Pros. I still often get undesired results when trying to swipe between apps and I've been living with them since the first dev beta
Some advice: I find that the easiest way to swipe between apps is to use a four-finger swipe anywhere onscreen. If you really want to use the other method with one finger, it works best to draw a little upside down U at the bottom of the screen.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Face ID stopped working on my X today. It wouldn't recognize my face anymore, no matter how often I tried. Resetting it didn't work either. It either failed with an error message ("Face ID not available" or something similar), or it kept saying "Move your phone lower/higher" without ever recognizing my face. It only worked after restarting the phone.

Happened again.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Question, is there any solution for taking something on an iPad, and "AirDropping" it to a PC through the share sheet in the same way it works between ios12 devices? Or if not, maybe a quick workaround that works faster than, say, emailing a link or photo to myself?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Question, is there any solution for taking something on an iPad, and "AirDropping" it to a PC through the share sheet in the same way it works between ios12 devices? Or if not, maybe a quick workaround that works faster than, say, emailing a link or photo to myself?
The best option I've found is to use iCloud Drive with iCloud for Windows installed on the PC, as it is far more convenient than emailing it, but I think files still have to be uploaded to the cloud and then downloaded on the PC, so you would be limited by your internet connection speed.
The desktop client for Dropbox supports LAN sync, but I'm not sure that the iOS app does.

Stormed

Jan 5, 2018
Utah
Yeah, it's called pushbullet. I used to use it all the time with Android. I don't know how well the ios version is, but on android, it would give me chrome notifications regarding all my phone notifications. That and obviously filesharing.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I tried Group FaceTime for the first time today. For some reason, I had thought only the latest hardware supported it, but I (iPhone XS) talked to an iPad Air 2 and a Macbook (2015).

Worked great. I just wish they could have more productive features built-in (like showing Photos/Documents) instead of fluff like memojis and filters.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Apple care worth it? I have 8 days left till I can't buy anymore. It's for my XS Max.
Do you find that you drop your phone quite often? If that's the case I'd say yes. I ended up purchasing it because I bought the iPhone Xs outright. I use a Rhinoshield case and a screen protector, but I'd rather have AppleCare+ just as a safety net.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
Do you ever drop your phone? Might be worth it for the peace of mind.

Is there ANY WAY to go back down to iOS11 at this point? Even through like jailbreak means?
Do you find that you drop your phone quite often? If that's the case I'd say yes. I ended up purchasing it because I bought the iPhone Xs outright. I use a Rhinoshield case and a screen protector, but I'd rather have AppleCare+ just as a safety net.

I dont drop it often and i have a good case, but ive had issues with the battery on my last one 6+ and the max is pretty expensive. Guess im a bit paranoid

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Anyone else get some crazy phone stopping lag when they go into settings sometimes?

I'll notice it when I put in an AirPod.. and they don't connect as fast as normal.. so I go into settings to check and the settings app will be straight up locked for like 5 seconds.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont drop it often and i have a good case, but ive had issues with the battery on my last one 6+ and the max is pretty expensive. Guess im a bit paranoid
Having AppleCare+ reduces the repair cost for certain things.

If you're based in the US, it's $29 to repair the screen with AppleCare+ versus $329. It's $0 to replace the battery with AppleCare+ versus $69. You can check those repair pricing based on your region here.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I gotta say, allowing third-party password managers to integrate with the built-in Password AutoFill was a genius move.