• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've always stuck with iCloud Keychain and it's definitely paying dividends. I could only justify 1password if I also used Windows or Android.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My new Nektar LX49 MIDI keyboard doesn't work on my ipad.

I plug it in with the iOS Camera Adapter and get a "not supported" message despite the box saying it works with iOS with said adapter.

What the fuck? Please save Christmas for my Mother.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have wifi problems with XS Max? At work my wifi is always disconnecting but at home it's fine...
The wifi on my XS Max is significantly worse than it was on my old phone. It routinely gets disconnected from my 5 GHz network unless I'm close to the router. And I found that the phone often prefers cellular data over wifi even when iOS says I'm connected to wifi. I don't have these problems with any of my older phones or other devices (including my new iPad).

I've heard that the trouble is due to a crappy new modem in rhe XS Max so it doesn't sound like a fix is coming soon, or ever. I just disable wifi most of the time.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
So I've recently picked up an iPhone XS and I want to get an antivirus program. I use Chrome. Does anyone have any recommendations? Malwarebytes says it only works on Safari

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
So I've recently picked up an iPhone XS and I want to get an antivirus program. I use Chrome. Does anyone have any recommendations? Malwarebytes says it only works on Safari
I'm just gonna be echoing everyone else at this point but this ain't Android. You don't have to worry about that. Don't even bother. If they even exist they're scams because you're not gonna infect iOS with a web page. It's like wasting processor cycles by installing an antivirus on your Mac. It's a pointless endeavor. Just sit back and use your device and stop worrying about trying to keep it safe.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Reading about Malwarebytes on iOS it looks like it's just spam protection for voice/text and a content blocker for Safari anyway. You're better off with something like 1Blocker X for Safari or an equivalent for Chrome.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having issues with Siri and Homekit? I have a light with the name Den.

"Turn off Den" used to work till about a couple of weeks ago, now I have to say "Turn off Den light" for it to do its thing. Funny thing is, the response from Siri for the new phrase is still "Den is off".

The delay with running shortcuts is also not very nice.

As is the delay when I say "Hey Siri". There is a long pause before I hear the ding that tells me I can continue speaking.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I just turned on iCloud backup for the first time after upgrading my storage plan. Data looks like it uplaoded but my 100gigs of photos doesnt look like it's uploading at all, and it's definitely turned on. Any ideas?

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone having issues with Siri and Homekit? I have a light with the name Den.

"Turn off Den" used to work till about a couple of weeks ago, now I have to say "Turn off Den light" for it to do its thing. Funny thing is, the response from Siri for the new phrase is still "Den is off".

The delay with running shortcuts is also not very nice.

As is the delay when I say "Hey Siri". There is a long pause before I hear the ding that tells me I can continue speaking.
are you using Hue? ANY time I find Siri not working with some sort of light... it always comes down to Hue changing the room setup or something.

also you don't need to wait for a ding with Siri on recent (re: fast) devices. On my iPad Pro 10.5, iPhone X, and Watch 4 I usually have my sentence finished before anything dings.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
are you using Hue? ANY time I find Siri not working with some sort of light... it always comes down to Hue changing the room setup or something.

also you don't need to wait for a ding with Siri on recent (re: fast) devices. On my iPad Pro 10.5, iPhone X, and Watch 4 I usually have my sentence finished before anything dings.

Nah, not a hue. It is a wemo light switch. Very responsive and using a manual shortcut, the response is almost instantaneous. No changes in room setup either.

Thanks for the tip about not waiting for the ding. I am now continuing to speak and it seems to work most of the time. Still feels awkward though, not very fluid/natural.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible, but I don't know if it can be done without using an app. I used sync.me for it (which matches your contacts to social media accounts and imports pictures from there).

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I really dislike it when
  • apps don't include any useful details in notifications. For instance, when someone sends you a message on Okcupid, the notification only says "<User> sent you a message" without the actual text.
  • apps don't remove notifications when the content related to the notification has already been seen (by opening the app without tapping the notification)

hEist

Oct 26, 2017
I really dislike it when
  • apps don't include any useful details in notifications. For instance, when someone sends you a message on Okcupid, the notification only says "<User> sent you a message" without the actual text.

isn't that an option you can change under notifications settings in iOS? check if the preview is off.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Does anyone know why the cursor sometimes doesn't appear when long pressing the space bar? Same happened on my 7+ with force touch, it sometimes didn't work.

Is this a bug or a feature I don't understand?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I think some keyboards disable it (or perhaps don't enable it). When my daughter (XR) was having issues logging in to LastPass last night I couldn't use that method either.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It happens while typing in iMessage for example. Sometimes I just can't get the cursor to show up but keep making spaces... after moving the curser the old way it works again.

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
Does anyone know why the cursor sometimes doesn't appear when long pressing the space bar? Same happened on my 7+ with force touch, it sometimes didn't work.

Is this a bug or a feature I don't understand?

That isn't a bug. For the text cursor to appear, wait for the blue vertical line to "disappear" once and then do the long press on the space bar. Works for me every time.

Last edited:

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone change the voice of Siri? I'm trying to change to anything other than American and it won't download. iOS 12.1.2 on iPhone 7 Plus.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Usuallly iOS is pretty smart about not bothering you when you're on the phone, but I had to take an early call this morning and my normal alarm started going off in my ear while I was talking. I had to excuse myself to the other party and swipe up the alarm notification like a savage. It shouldn't even sound when I'm on the phone, that's very un-iOS.

Proxy-Pie

Apr 3, 2018
I've yet to update my 2018 9.7 inch iPad to iOS 12, I remember upgrading my old devices used to hurt the battery life by quite a bit sometimes.

gamma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Receive email adress in Messages. Click on it. Opens new email. Write e-mail. Close Messages to look something up. Email and whatever you wrote is gone forever.

n1 Apple

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I finally went to the Genius Bar because of the terrible battery life of my iPhone X. They weren't able to find any issues and just told me to disable background app refresh for Spotify and update to iOS 12.0.1. Great.

I went there another time and insisted on a replacement. Again, it passed all tests. Maximum capacity at 91%.
But the new battery is so much better. After almost an entire workday, it's now at 46%. The old battery would have reached this percentage hours ago.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I really like how iOS displays detailed battery usage information now with graphs and detail breakdowns. But what I really want now is the same thing for data usage. My plan is for 10GB LTE per month but I usually rarely go over 5. Virgin upgraded me from 5 to 10 for being loyal so it went for the past few months mostly unused. But this last month I just went over 10GB so I'd love to be able to look at all the usage information and see what might be gobbling it up on a periodical basis. Would be a really nice feature to have. Just give it the same UI as the battery usage. It'd save me from having to reset my stats every month, which I haven't done since December 2017 so I couldn't pinpoint why I went over this month since it was 13 months of data in one block. Just give us the ability to break it down. Would be great.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yeah, they obviously store all the information already, as they have a data usage overview already in the settings. But the date range is not configurable and I never know if it includes WLAN or not. At least for me it's always much more than what I actually used on my contract.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
I'm just gonna be echoing everyone else at this point but this ain't Android. You don't have to worry about that. Don't even bother. If they even exist they're scams because you're not gonna infect iOS with a web page. It's like wasting processor cycles by installing an antivirus on your Mac. It's a pointless endeavor. Just sit back and use your device and stop worrying about trying to keep it safe.

Dude you don't need antivirus on Android and never have. Lol.

Shit you don't even need it on Windows anymore.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I really like how iOS displays detailed battery usage information now with graphs and detail breakdowns. But what I really want now is the same thing for data usage. My plan is for 10GB LTE per month but I usually rarely go over 5. Virgin upgraded me from 5 to 10 for being loyal so it went for the past few months mostly unused. But this last month I just went over 10GB so I'd love to be able to look at all the usage information and see what might be gobbling it up on a periodical basis. Would be a really nice feature to have. Just give it the same UI as the battery usage. It'd save me from having to reset my stats every month, which I haven't done since December 2017 so I couldn't pinpoint why I went over this month since it was 13 months of data in one block. Just give us the ability to break it down. Would be great.
Yeah, they obviously store all the information already, as they have a data usage overview already in the settings. But the date range is not configurable and I never know if it includes WLAN or not. At least for me it's always much more than what I actually used on my contract.
I've spent a bit of time looking at data tracking apps this morning (at the moment I'm on an unlimited plan but looking to see if it's feasible to drop that down). Installed My Data Manager this morning so I'll give that a go for a while - it uses a VPN so it's obvious that the data gets transferred to their side for processing and whatever else they want to do with it.

Would definitely be nice to have something incorporated into the OS though.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really dislike it when
  • apps don't remove notifications when the content related to the notification has already been seen (by opening the app without tapping the notification)

They want you to open the app to read the message, that's the whole game. When you go into the app you get hooked on other stuff, or at least that's the goal. Any app where messaging is a feature instead of the core does this (but especially dating apps)

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I really dislike it when
I hate this. FaceBook just says "you got a message" but Twitter shows you everything right there. I want to see the contents. At least FaceBook Messenger shows the message itself. But when someone comments on a FB post I want to see at a glance what it is, not have to open the app to navigate to it.

As for notifications being removed, I hate that Twitter does this actually, but only because their Notifications page in the app doesn't show all the posts from users I have "get notifications" turned on for so if like 5 of my flagged Tweeters tweets something and I want to go to each one and read the tweet's replies, once I view one of them all the notifications vanish and I can't remember who else tweeted. Fucking stupid design. Just put all those notifications in their own list as well. Basically a special "watched accounts" list that can be automatically created and put in the same place as your other Twitter lists. (I'd have done this manually if I'd thought of it years ago but I shouldn't have to be the one to think of these ideas.)

isn't that an option you can change under notifications settings in iOS? check if the preview is off.
FaceBook doesn't have previews. Just the vague "you got a reply" message. SnapChat does it too but I guess in that app it makes sense since you can't actually see the Snap until you view it and download it since it expires. (But they really need to get rid of the "user is typing" notification. Who thought that was an feature that any app should have?)