• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
They want you to open the app to read the message, that's the whole game. When you go into the app you get hooked on other stuff, or at least that's the goal. Any app where messaging is a feature instead of the core does this (but especially dating apps)
When it comes to Instagram, they previously showed friends photos inside the notifications. But they probably realised that people could effectively see their activity feed through notifications without ever seeing an ad so they shut that down.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Anyone have a problem with automatic updates not working? I thought it would let me know when there's a new version of iOS but I always end up hearing about it later and then having to go to Settings > General > Software Update to force it manually.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I find it's often delayed, but I'll get it eventually (like there'll be a notification within a week or so). I've always assumed that this was a measure to stagger the rollout somewhat but have never actually checked to see if that's the case.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I find it's often delayed, but I'll get it eventually (like there'll be a notification within a week or so). I've always assumed that this was a measure to stagger the rollout somewhat but have never actually checked to see if that's the case.
Maybe that's it, I didn't realize 12.1.3 was still pretty recent.
it downloads and updates overnight when you're not using it.
I mean I have it plugged in every night, not being used. I assume it must be a time delayed thing but I thought apps were supposed to update too and, unless it's something like once a week, I never get those automatically either.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
automatic updates, while always enabled on my iPhones, never happen for me. I always have to trigger them manually.

If I'm happy, I'll see an update notification in my settings app... and that's rare.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
automatic updates, while always enabled on my iPhones, never happen for me. I always have to trigger them manually.

If I'm happy, I'll see an update notification in my settings app... and that's rare.
I don't think those updates will ever happen automatically, you'll need to give some kind of input. But you should definitely get a notification sooner or later.

I haven't had one for 12.1.3 either yet, but it always happens as I said within a week or so (I think).

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
While I'm complaining about iOS, I just went through the most dumb steps to get stuff to show up and be playable in Apple Music after purchasing it in iTunes (repurchasing I should say too since I had to refund and rebuy it once to fix it initially). It's probably not even worth mentioning all the steps but I actually tried plugging it into a PC thinking that might help but it did not. In the end I was deleting files from within Settings > Music > Downloaded Music and toggling on/off iCloud Music Library. This was after purchasing some Kate Bush remasters and having all the song titles show up as album titles in the library (but display correctly while playing and in Up Next queue).

Just makes me remember how easy it was pirating and putting music on my iPod. If you needed to fix metadata there were apps that would just do that for you too. Wonder if their services would improve quicker if they updated through the App Store instead of big system updates.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't think those updates will ever happen automatically, you'll need to give some kind of input. But you should definitely get a notification sooner or later.

I haven't had one for 12.1.3 either yet, but it always happens as I said within a week or so (I think).
yes, the settings app says they will be installed over night, once they are downloaded. And it never does that on my phones. I stopped bothering and just install them right away.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
While I'm complaining about iOS, I just went through the most dumb steps to get stuff to show up and be playable in Apple Music after purchasing it in iTunes (repurchasing I should say too since I had to refund and rebuy it once to fix it initially). It's probably not even worth mentioning all the steps but I actually tried plugging it into a PC thinking that might help but it did not. In the end I was deleting files from within Settings > Music > Downloaded Music and toggling on/off iCloud Music Library. This was after purchasing some Kate Bush remasters and having all the song titles show up as album titles in the library (but display correctly while playing and in Up Next queue).

Just makes me remember how easy it was pirating and putting music on my iPod. If you needed to fix metadata there were apps that would just do that for you too. Wonder if their services would improve quicker if they updated through the App Store instead of big system updates.
What was the issue? I've never had a problem.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
What was the issue? I've never had a problem.
Not sure I remember the exact order of events but it started with me being annoyed that all the tracks on Remaster Pt 1 and Pt 2 of Kate Bush show as just the album title when looking in the library (Now Playing and Up Next were fine). I deleted Remaster Pt 2 from my library thinking I'd try to redownload it, then it was missing from my recent purchases in iTunes when browsing on my phone (in iTunes Store, under More > Purchased), it still showed up under my Apple ID for recent purchases so eventually I just refund and repurchase it.

At some point I tried deleting both albums from my phone, I think to try the steps shown here but then transferring them back using iTunes wasn't working. I could see the album in Apple Music but clicking it would open... nothing, just see the album artwork but no tracks listed. Couldn't redownload from iTunes Store on phone since it would just spin a bit and then have the little cloud symbol. Eventually fixed with the steps I mentioned above. Maybe I was doing something really dumb but every Apple Support page I saw told me to do something that didn't work ("missing album? just go to More > Purchased and redownload in the iTunes Store").

So the song titles are still messed up but I can listen to the music I purchased. It's extra silly to me since both those albums say "Mastered for iTunes" but then they're messed up when viewed in Apple Music? I remember compilations being screwy a long time though so maybe it's just never been fixed.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
In Apple Music, there's no way to select the second artist in a collab song right? Like if a song is Tupac & Taylor Swift, you click it and it just goes to the first name without any options? That's stupid and a huge oversight

Not sure I remember the exact order of events but it started with me being annoyed that all the tracks on Remaster Pt 1 and Pt 2 of Kate Bush show as just the album title when looking in the library (Now Playing and Up Next were fine). I deleted Remaster Pt 2 from my library thinking I'd try to redownload it, then it was missing from my recent purchases in iTunes when browsing on my phone (in iTunes Store, under More > Purchased), it still showed up under my Apple ID for recent purchases so eventually I just refund and repurchase it.

At some point I tried deleting both albums from my phone, I think to try the steps shown here but then transferring them back using iTunes wasn't working. I could see the album in Apple Music but clicking it would open... nothing, just see the album artwork but no tracks listed. Couldn't redownload from iTunes Store on phone since it would just spin a bit and then have the little cloud symbol. Eventually fixed with the steps I mentioned above. Maybe I was doing something really dumb but every Apple Support page I saw told me to do something that didn't work ("missing album? just go to More > Purchased and redownload in the iTunes Store").

So the song titles are still messed up but I can listen to the music I purchased. It's extra silly to me since both those albums say "Mastered for iTunes" but then they're messed up when viewed in Apple Music? I remember compilations being screwy a long time though so maybe it's just never been fixed.
Interesting..did you try just changing the metadata in the song once you added it to your library?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think so. Does that sync automatically with iCloud Music Library? I don't usually use iTunes on PC at all since I only listen to music on my phone.
I don't have any purchased music, but even for music that I have added from Apple Music, I can change the metadata like artist title genre etc and it will sync across everything

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Why is setting the timer via Siri so inconsistent with the visual feed back? Sometimes I see it running on the lock screen and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I see it in the Clock/Timer app but sometimes I see not visual indication and I have to ask Siri again how much time is left.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ever since iOS 12 my iPhone 7+ can't keep more than one app in memory at all. Almost every time I switch back to another app after the phone has been sleeping for a little while, it reloads it. Even the Music app. It can't even keep the current song's position in memory over night. Even if I only have one single app open it can't hold it in memory. It's ridiculous and a pain in the ass. And this was the phone I set up as new when I got it instead of loading from a backup like I usually do. And I'm not on the beta train like I used to either.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ever since iOS 12 my iPhone 7+ can't keep more than one app in memory at all. Almost every time I switch back to another app after the phone has been sleeping for a little while, it reloads it. Even the Music app. It can't even keep the current song's position in memory over night. Even if I only have one single app open it can't hold it in memory. It's ridiculous and a pain in the ass. And this was the phone I set up as new when I got it instead of loading from a backup like I usually do. And I'm not on the beta train like I used to either.
Whats your storage situation like? I find that if I'm riding close to full, iOS can't remember shit.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Whats your storage situation like? I find that if I'm riding close to full, iOS can't remember shit.
Usually between a gig and two gigs free with over a third of my storage being used by "other". I only have a 32GB model. I can't go any lower without dumping a lot of my music. It's stupid that they'd tie app memory to storage. iOS needs a single "clear all caches completely" button.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Usually between a gig and two gigs free with over a third of my storage being used by "other". I only have a 32GB model. I can't go any lower without dumping a lot of my music. It's stupid that they'd tie app memory to storage. iOS needs a single "clear all caches completely" button.
Around 1 or 2 GB free is where iOS starts getting forgetful and purging RAM. It's annoying as hell.

The Facebook app will eat storage like there's no tomorrow, and there's no way to clear its cache.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Around 1 or 2 GB free is where iOS starts getting forgetful and purging RAM. It's annoying as hell.

The Facebook app will eat storage like there's no tomorrow, and there's no way to clear its cache.
Aside from deleting and reinstalling apps completely which is a ridiculous thing to have to do, but I've done it. Doesn't matter because it just gets filled up again quickly. The FB app itself is way too bloated as it is. It's 263MB for me.

Does Other refer to those caches? Because I have a lot of "Other".

That said, I don't care that the apps reload. I just care that a lot of them don't remember where they were. It's not hard to save a few variables when the app is unloaded to reload later. Especially with the Music app which barely remembers the song it was on. All it would need to remember is the Playlist you're in, the Song that's currently playing and the current Position in that song. Three super tiny strings of data that could be easily cached into the apps settings plist. Reddit is the worst because unlike Twitter, which usually remembers exactly where you were in your timeline, it completely wipes everything and takes you back to the top to start again even if you've spent the last hour scrolling and scrolling. I fucking hate infinitely scrolling newsfeeds sometimes.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Aside from deleting and reinstalling apps completely which is a ridiculous thing to have to do, but I've done it. Doesn't matter because it just gets filled up again quickly. The FB app itself is way too bloated as it is. It's 263MB for me.

Does Other refer to those caches? Because I have a lot of "Other".

That said, I don't care that the apps reload. I just care that a lot of them don't remember where they were. It's not hard to save a few variables when the app is unloaded to reload later. Especially with the Music app which barely remembers the song it was on. All it would need to remember is the Playlist you're in, the Song that's currently playing and the current Position in that song. Three super tiny strings of data that could be easily cached into the apps settings plist. Reddit is the worst because unlike Twitter, which usually remembers exactly where you were in your timeline, it completely wipes everything and takes you back to the top to start again even if you've spent the last hour scrolling and scrolling. I fucking hate infinitely scrolling newsfeeds sometimes.
I've had that complaint about the Music app for a while. It isn't difficult at all for it to remember its state, and it's annoying to have to re-shuffle a playlist when it forgets. But I'm guessing what happens is that when an app is purged out of RAM it's no different from force-quitting it. It reverts to its starting state when you reopen it. It really should save its state when purged, but again this is probably a result of iOS being ridiculously cautious when storage is low.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I've had that complaint about the Music app for a while. It isn't difficult at all for it to remember its state, and it's annoying to have to re-shuffle a playlist when it forgets. But I'm guessing what happens is that when an app is purged out of RAM it's no different from force-quitting it. It reverts to its starting state when you reopen it. It really should save its state when purged, but again this is probably a result of iOS being ridiculously cautious when storage is low.
Another issue I have is that I only really have one playlist on my phone downloaded. It's like 7.5GB. But my phone reports as having 12GB taken up by music. I don't understand why. If it didn't have that 4GB of phantom music on there I'd have plenty of free space.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Another issue I have is that I only really have one playlist on my phone downloaded. It's like 7.5GB. But my phone reports as having 12GB taken up by music. I don't understand why. If it didn't have that 4GB of phantom music on there I'd have plenty of free space.
If the music in your iTunes library is ripped from other sources at a lowish bitrate and you have iTunes Match or Apple Music, your iPhone may have downloaded the music at a higher quality from those services rather than directly from your library.

That, or it downloaded some other tracks without you asking. You can clear all your music and try re-downloading your playlist to see if it's any different.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
If the music in your iTunes library is ripped from other sources at a lowish bitrate and you have iTunes Match or Apple Music, your iPhone may have downloaded the music at a higher quality from those services rather than directly from your library.

That, or it downloaded some other tracks without you asking. You can clear all your music and try re-downloading your playlist to see if it's any different.
Here's what I just discovered. I checked a single artist, Bryan Adams, which I have three songs. Two of them were purchased from iTunes Music Store. The other I guess came from somewhere else as an MP3. They're all about the same size. 4.6MB, 4.7MB and 6.5MB. They're all 128Kbps. Two are AAC, the other MPEG but that doesn't seem to matter.

Because on my iPhone, they're all twice the size. So I am assuming my phone is downloading 256Kbps versions instead? I checked on my iMac where I also have my library synced and it's indeed downloading the larger versions. I seem to remember at some point Apple switched to higher bitrate songs by default and since my stuff is really old for the most part it's just replacing those smaller versions with larger versions. I also checked the size of my main playlist on my iMac and it is indeed 11.1GB so there's my issue. I'm just getting false readings on my MacBook Pro since it's full of music I purchased well before they upgraded everyone to 256Kbps.

Is there any way to stop that and just have it do 128Kbps versions? Or alternatively, any proper way to just have iTunes replace all my eligible music in my main library (The MacBook Pro has all the originals) with the better versions so I can at least get a better idea of how much space it's going to take up?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is there any way to stop that and just have it do 128Kbps versions? Or alternatively, any proper way to just have iTunes replace all my eligible music in my main library (The MacBook Pro has all the originals) with the better versions so I can at least get a better idea of how much space it's going to take up?
Best guess: If you sync through USB, it'll probably take your local versions. If you sync through the cloud, it'll download from Apple's servers.

As for your local library, I forget the exact process involved, but if you delete the local copy but leave it in your library, and then download it again from the cloud, you'll get the higher quality version.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Best guess: If you sync through USB, it'll probably take your local versions. If you sync through the cloud, it'll download from Apple's servers.

As for your local library, I forget the exact process involved, but if you delete the local copy but leave it in your library, and then download it again from the cloud, you'll get the higher quality version.
Yup. That seems to work. I deleted one of the older protected versions I have and it changed to a "Download from iCloud" icon and it did indeed download the bigger version. I'm gonna have to do this for so many songs. I have 300 non-upgraded M4P protected AAC songs in my library still. But at least I won't have to pay that terrible upgrade fee Apple was charging to remove the DRM. (Would have cost $80.)

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I hope iOS 13 lets us converge conversations in Messages.

Case: My dad has a Mac. He also has a Windows phone (don't ask). He writes to me from both devices, and they end up in separate conversations on my end, and occasionally I need to go through history only to find out, no wait, that was the other conversation, and it's driving me mad.

---

Also, while I'm at it, I like how you can hide notification data unless Face ID has scanned you, especially for work-related stuff that can sometimes be confidential.

But when I pay with Apple Pay, I receive a notification with a summary of the purchase that can't hide the data the same way. The notification is not from the Wallet app nor my banks app. It's some imaginary app that doesn't really exist and so I can't adjust that in the settings. What the eff?

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I hope iOS 13 lets us converge conversations in Messages.

Case: My dad has a Mac. He also has a Windows phone (don't ask). He writes to me from both devices, and they end up in separate conversations on my end, and occasionally I need to go through history only to find out, no wait, that was the other conversation, and it's driving me mad.
Do you have both IDs assigned to the same contact? Merging conversations was supposed to happen with iOS 12 - though I don't know if it will merge iMessage and SMS-only messages.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Also, while I'm at it, I like how you can hide notification data unless Face ID has scanned you, especially for work-related stuff that can sometimes be confidential.

But when I pay with Apple Pay, I receive a notification with a summary of the purchase that can't hide the data the same way. The notification is not from the Wallet app nor my banks app. It's some imaginary app that doesn't really exist and so I can't adjust that in the settings. What the eff?
Under notification settings (for individual apps) you can set set show previews >when unlocked.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I was trying to stream a YouTube stream in Safari from my phone to my Mac using AirPlay. But whenever I quit the fullscreen video on my phone (which was just showing the AirPlay logo) or switched to a different app, the video stopped. Is this how it's supposed to be? Can I really not use my phone at all while streaming?

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
I was trying to stream a YouTube stream in Safari from my phone to my Mac using AirPlay. But whenever I quit the fullscreen video on my phone (which was just showing the AirPlay logo) or switched to a different app, the video stopped. Is this how it's supposed to be? Can I really not use my phone at all while streaming?

You can if you have YouTube premium lol.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a per app thing. It definetly works with some apps. If I had to guess, it works with video apps that support background audio? Although, even in that case, the whole thing comes to a stop as soon as iOS finds a new multimedia instance on display. It's a bit of a mess.

Youtube particularly works much better with Chromecast. No contest.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
You can if you have YouTube premium lol.
I think it's a per app thing. It definetly works with some apps. If I had to guess, it works with video apps that support background audio? Although, even in that case, the whole thing comes to a stop as soon as iOS finds a new multimedia instance on display. It's a bit of a mess.

I ended up manually opening the video on the Mac instead. So much for that.

Youtube particularly works much better with Chromecast. No contest.

Probably, but I already have a Mac mini as my living room PC. I wanted an all-in-one solution.
But I have so many issues with this piece of shit, I might as well get rid of it and get a smart TV and/or a Chromecast.

Tobe

Oct 25, 2017
hey guys so im having this weird issue, i got an iphone x running the latest non beta release, thing is that out of nowhere randomly my phone started only showing being connected to 4g, i live in lima, peru and my carrier (movistar) is the only one that shows LTE. ive reseted the network settings, called the carrier to update the sim, and even replaced the sim with a new one.

today i tested it with an old iphone 6 and another movistar sim.

my new sim shows LTE on the iphone 6, and the other sim that showed lte on the 6 only shows 4g on my iphone.

what could be the problem?

bry

Oct 27, 2017
hey guys so im having this weird issue, i got an iphone x running the latest non beta release, thing is that out of nowhere randomly my phone started only showing being connected to 4g, i live in lima, peru and my carrier (movistar) is the only one that shows LTE. ive reseted the network settings, called the carrier to update the sim, and even replaced the sim with a new one.

my new sim shows LTE on the iphone 6, and the other sim that showed lte on the 6 only shows 4g on my iphone.

Tbh I think the antennas are just worse on the iPhone X.
When I switched from 6S to X, my phone went from getting service in certain areas to not getting service, and taking longer to switch to receiving service.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup. That seems to work. I deleted one of the older protected versions I have and it changed to a "Download from iCloud" icon and it did indeed download the bigger version. I'm gonna have to do this for so many songs. I have 300 non-upgraded M4P protected AAC songs in my library still. But at least I won't have to pay that terrible upgrade fee Apple was charging to remove the DRM. (Would have cost $80.)

Yeah, that's a legit way to use Apple Music/iTunes Match. They advertise getting better quality versions right on the site:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146

Last edited:

Tobe

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I think the antennas are just worse on the iPhone X.
When I switched from 6S to X, my phone went from getting service in certain areas to not getting service, and taking longer to switch to receiving service.
oh i might add that i havent changed my location im still in the same area. no change whatsoever. could it be the carrier?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah, that's a legit way to use Apple Music/iTunes Match. They advertise getting better quality versions right on the site:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146
So I went through my whole collection of 300+ Protected AAC files (.m4p) over the course of a couple days and here's what I ended up with:

Most of them had better quality versions. They were replaced with Purchased AAC (.m4a) files and had their "kind" changed in the database. Though in a couple cases iTunes didn't update the database to say "Purchased" even though it replaced it with a .m4a file so I had to repeat the process to make it reflect correctly to avoid confusion.

However, a small handful of songs (10 total) did not get replaced with .m4a files and instead just downloaded .m4p versions. Some of them ended up not having the song on the store anymore, ("I Wonder Why the Wonder Falls" from the Wonderfalls soundtrack for example is gone now as is "It Hasn't Happened Yet" by William Shatner) I guess they were delisted so there's nothing I can do, but some others (For example, "Rock of Ages" by Def Leppard exists on the store, but iTunes doesn't seem to link the copy I have to the one on the store that has all the same information, same with "Borderline" by Madonna or "Touch of Grey" by The Grateful Dead) do have what look to be exact matches on the store, but for some reason the link is broken. I suspect in these cases they made small changes to their collection and the old version was replaced with a new one for purchasing, but they keep the older protected version on the servers for redownloading. Weird because I had a lot of songs that had changed but iTunes downloaded the new versions instead. I even ended up with a second version of some songs that I had to clean up by keeping the better version and "removing" the other one from the library so as to not have duplicates.

I also did a few .mp3 files from waaaay back when iTunes didn't have a store and still ripped as .mp3 and it replaced them with unprotected .m4a files and changed their "kind" to "Matched AAC". I assume if I ever stop using iTunes Match, these will remain behind since they're not protected?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I went through my whole collection of 300+ Protected AAC files (.m4p) over the course of a couple days and here's what I ended up with:

Most of them had better quality versions. They were replaced with Purchased AAC (.m4a) files and had their "kind" changed in the database. Though in a couple cases iTunes didn't update the database to say "Purchased" even though it replaced it with a .m4a file so I had to repeat the process to make it reflect correctly to avoid confusion.

However, a small handful of songs (10 total) did not get replaced with .m4a files and instead just downloaded .m4p versions. Some of them ended up not having the song on the store anymore, ("I Wonder Why the Wonder Falls" from the Wonderfalls soundtrack for example is gone now as is "It Hasn't Happened Yet" by William Shatner) I guess they were delisted so there's nothing I can do, but some others (For example, "Rock of Ages" by Def Leppard exists on the store, but iTunes doesn't seem to link the copy I have to the one on the store that has all the same information, same with "Borderline" by Madonna or "Touch of Grey" by The Grateful Dead) do have what look to be exact matches on the store, but for some reason the link is broken. I suspect in these cases they made small changes to their collection and the old version was replaced with a new one for purchasing, but they keep the older protected version on the servers for redownloading. Weird because I had a lot of songs that had changed but iTunes downloaded the new versions instead. I even ended up with a second version of some songs that I had to clean up by keeping the better version and "removing" the other one from the library so as to not have duplicates.

I also did a few .mp3 files from waaaay back when iTunes didn't have a store and still ripped as .mp3 and it replaced them with unprotected .m4a files and changed their "kind" to "Matched AAC". I assume if I ever stop using iTunes Match, these will remain behind since they're not protected?

Yes. They will stay with you, they are your DRM-free files now!

As as for the ones that didn't get replaced, yes, that's exactly why. It couldn't link them to the current entry (a lot of studios, when they started doing Mastered for iTunes or other stuff when the store switched over, made entirely new entries for old albums. It sucks, but what can you do) so it only gave you the protected file back.

I went through this exact same process a while ago with my mom. Basically her iPod shuffle died, and all the songs she liked listening to were on it and were iTunes purchases from at least a decade ago. I helped her spend the $25 to get them unprotected and then moved over to Google Play Music which she now uses. It was worth the $25 for her in that case, recovered around 180 songs (that were probably already on GPM but she's not gonna rebuild the playlist from scratch, this was better). But yeah, some of them super old ones still came back as protected.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Hey I have a quick question: is there any way for screenshots to stop saving in photostream? It's really annoying having to delete a bunch of screenshots of dumb stuff.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I went through this exact same process a while ago with my mom. Basically her iPod shuffle died, and all the songs she liked listening to were on it and were iTunes purchases from at least a decade ago. I helped her spend the $25 to get them unprotected and then moved over to Google Play Music which she now uses. It was worth the $25 for her in that case, recovered around 180 songs (that were probably already on GPM but she's not gonna rebuild the playlist from scratch, this was better). But yeah, some of them super old ones still came back as protected.
You don't need to subscribe to Apple Music to re-download previously purchased music in a higher quality or DRM-free.
The subscription is only required if you are wanting to convert music that has been imported to iTunes via other sources; e.g. ripped CDs.

Tobe

Oct 25, 2017

i figured it out for some reason, Beta 3 of IOS 12.2 was changing the naming, ive read of a similar case happening in AT&T with LTE-A getting renamed to 5g-E

ugh this shit just irks me.