• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't need to subscribe to Apple Music to re-download previously purchased music in a higher quality or DRM-free.
The subscription is only required if you are wanting to convert music that has been imported to iTunes via other sources; e.g. ripped CDs.

I think in this case you had to. None of the music was downloaded on that computer, I actually had to work hard to recover their Apple ID in the first place since it had been years since anyone touched it. So when I signed into iTunes, what the download list presented me was the DRM versions, same as they bought originally. No automatic upgrades.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
So when I signed into iTunes, what the download list presented me was the DRM versions, same as they bought originally. No automatic upgrades.
Huh, that's strange. I was able to download upgraded (256k) DRM-free versions of albums without ever having used Apple Music. That said, I only had something like 20 tracks on iTunes as I never really used it for music. Prices here were higher than CD, and they were not even offering CD-quality downloads. I bought the CD and ripped it myself to get a lossless DRM-free copy.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing

I've forgotten my screen time passcode and there is literally no way to reset it, you have to set the device up as new

Incredible

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I hope iOS 13 lets us converge conversations in Messages.

Case: My dad has a Mac. He also has a Windows phone (don't ask). He writes to me from both devices, and they end up in separate conversations on my end, and occasionally I need to go through history only to find out, no wait, that was the other conversation, and it's driving me mad.

---

Also, while I'm at it, I like how you can hide notification data unless Face ID has scanned you, especially for work-related stuff that can sometimes be confidential.

But when I pay with Apple Pay, I receive a notification with a summary of the purchase that can't hide the data the same way. The notification is not from the Wallet app nor my banks app. It's some imaginary app that doesn't really exist and so I can't adjust that in the settings. What the eff?
Instead of going to Notifications, go to 'Wallet & Apple Pay'. Each payment method has its own notification setting there. They can only be on or off for me, but I don't have faceID so ymmv.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I just noticed readability has options to change colours and such, at least on the iPad. Always finding new things on iOS,

Do people actually use the equalizer found in music > settings ??

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
iOS 13 (minor) feature requests:
- Being able to attach a shortcut to a reminder
I have a reminder to remind me to log my current weight every morning. Wouldn't it be nice if I could do that directly from within the notification instead of discarding it and manually opening my weight tracking app?

- Being able to customize the emoji keyboard
There's over 2000 emojis for iOS. No one needs that many. I'd love to have the option to pick my favorites and arrange them however I'd like, without having to search for them all the time. The "Frequently Used" section is useless.

- Make the UI more responsive
They made a big deal back then when they made it possible to interact with the homescreen while the animation from unlocking the phone or leaving an app is still ongoing. And yet, other parts of the OS are still as stiff and unresponsive as ever. In particular, I have three examples in mind:
* When I swipe a notification to the left and immediately tap the "Clear" button, it doesn't work because there's a short bounce animation.
* When I swipe from the left edge in Safari to go back to the previous page, it's unresponsive for a brief moment. I tap on a thread on Era, read for a bit, swipe back, swipe my finger vertically immediately to scroll down the thread list - and nothing happens. However, it does work right away when I tap the Back button instead.
* Again, in Safari: When you tap a link with two fingers, it's opened in the background. This is show to the user by having the link fly down to the Tabs icon. While this animation is played, the page is unresponsive. Sometimes, I browse a list of links - e.g. a news site or Era itself, of course - and I want to open several of them in the background so I can read them later. I would love to be able to just be like scroll, 2-tap, scroll, 2-tap, scroll, 2-tap, but because of the blocking animation, I have to wait all the time.

Regarding the first point: Dismissing notifications in iOS sucks ass. As an alternative to the Clear button, it's possible to drag them all the way to the left to dismiss them. This should be a simple, smooth motion. It should be possible to dismiss multiple animations with a few quick swipes. But in reality, you have to make sure to start swiping from the correct spot, otherwise you will either launch the camera, or the notification menu (View/Clear) will open instead. And if you accidentally open the menu, but quickly react and tap the Clear button.. well, see above. Your tap will probably be ignored. Mess.

- Dynamic wallpapers
Dynamic wallpapers like in Mojave would be nice. Preferably more than one. But what I would really love to see is support for automatically changing wallpapers. Let me select an arbitrary number of wallpapers, or even a photo album, and let me define the interval for changing them.

FerranMG

Oct 29, 2017
iOS 13 (minor) feature requests:

- Make the UI more responsive

* Again, in Safari: When you tap a link with two fingers, it's opened in the background. This is show to the user by having the link fly down to the Tabs icon. While this animation is played, the page is unresponsive. Sometimes, I browse a list of links - e.g. a news site or Era itself, of course - and I want to open several of them in the background so I can read them later. I would love to be able to just be like scroll, 2-tap, scroll, 2-tap, scroll, 2-tap, but because of the blocking animation, I have to wait all the time.

This is one of my biggest issues with Safari and iOS in general (that form over function approach Apple has (too) many times).
It's so annoying in this particular case. I hope they improve it with iOS 13.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
iOS 12 doesn't use my custom uploaded Ringtone for whatever I assign it to any more. Every once in a while it works, but it's rare. I've tried rebooting, switching the ring tones, waiting some time, then switching back, but it still winds up using "Note (Default)." Has anyone else experienced this and know of a fix? It's super frustrating.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I never heard about the 2 tap before, good to know, very helpful for me

I'm not understanding the complaint. Are you guys just wanting shorter animations? I think I heard Samsung or pixel u can do that in settings?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Amazing

I've forgotten my screen time passcode and there is literally no way to reset it, you have to set the device up as new

Incredible

It doubles as a parental control lock so yeah, that makes sense. Otherwise kids could reset it

iOS 12 doesn't use my custom uploaded Ringtone for whatever I assign it to any more. Every once in a while it works, but it's rare. I've tried rebooting, switching the ring tones, waiting some time, then switching back, but it still winds up using "Note (Default)." Has anyone else experienced this and know of a fix? It's super frustrating.

Yes I've heard of that, no I don't think there's a fix yet. It was happening to a coworker of mine, I'll ask if he ever found a way to get it to work right

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want an option to make "VIP Apps" that ignore Do Not Disturb. Like the way VIP Contacts will blow through DND.

for instance I want the Nest camera app to buzz me when it sees something at night, while the phone is otherwise in DND.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
So does Siri not discover/play local music even if you are specific? For example, I asked it to "Play Radiohead Bends" and it says I am not on wifi and cellular is not enabled for Apple Music. I do have the album/s in my library and the songs downloaded onto the phone.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I want an option to make "VIP Apps" that ignore Do Not Disturb. Like the way VIP Contacts will blow through DND.

for instance I want the Nest camera app to buzz me when it sees something at night, while the phone is otherwise in DND.

I want something similar, to put apps into groups of Do Not Disturb rules.

I have some work-related apps that I would prefer to put in DND after work hours, and vice versa.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Yes I've heard of that, no I don't think there's a fix yet. It was happening to a coworker of mine, I'll ask if he ever found a way to get it to work right
Well, the good news is I managed to resolve it. The bad news is I had to use the "Erase All Settings" function to do so. After I wiped the phone, I restored from the backup I took just prior and now whenever I receive a text I can hear the Capcom jingle once more. 👍

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017

- Dynamic wallpapers
Dynamic wallpapers like in Mojave would be nice. Preferably more than one. But what I would really love to see is support for automatically changing wallpapers. Let me select an arbitrary number of wallpapers, or even a photo album, and let me define the interval for changing them.

For some reason the two finger tap opens a new tab, but not in the background. Is there a setting I need to change.

Speaking of Dynamic wallpapers, it kinda sucks that you are limited to the few stock options Apple provide. I kinda wish they would open it up and let you download new ones either from the app store or just the internet.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've had my 5s on version 12.0.0 for a while. Is 12.3.1 safe to upgrade to if I'm still using a 5s? Or is it too old to operate correctly after the update?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, with the new editorial tab I use it more than ever. However I don't really browse the different categories anymore but that's because I'm following websites that post reviews on meaningful new productivity apps etc and I don't game much on iOS.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody with a BMW and the latest iOS have connection issues? It's been so bad lately. Controlling the music is practically broken

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Been using Chrome all this time. Using the Safari/Ad guard set up now.
Has Chrome stopped "working" for you? I mean I switched from Chrome back when iCloud came out and Safari gained iCloud bookmarks and reading list support. Up until that point though I was growing increasingly tired of Chrome's bullshit. I was happy to leave it behind. Safari had finally won me back. I had switched to Firefox when Safari was very young for one reason or another. Switched to Chrome when it was released for macOS. Of course back then I didn't have an iPhone. But Continuity, Hand Off, iCloud syncing and all that other stuff just makes it all the more worth it. Once Apple started actually giving a shit about it again that is. (And I'm so happy we finally got favicons after so long last year.)

FerranMG

Oct 29, 2017
What ad blockers do you know that can be easily enabled/disabled through a today widget?
I've been using Speedafari, but I think it's slowing down the loading of websites.

Oct 25, 2017
Has Chrome stopped "working" for you? I mean I switched from Chrome back when iCloud came out and Safari gained iCloud bookmarks and reading list support. Up until that point though I was growing increasingly tired of Chrome's bullshit. I was happy to leave it behind. Safari had finally won me back. I had switched to Firefox when Safari was very young for one reason or another. Switched to Chrome when it was released for macOS. Of course back then I didn't have an iPhone. But Continuity, Hand Off, iCloud syncing and all that other stuff just makes it all the more worth it. Once Apple started actually giving a shit about it again that is. (And I'm so happy we finally got favicons after so long last year.)
Wish it had an easier way to switch tabs. Cmon Apple.