• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I got the refurbished 10.5 and could get 256GB rather than the base model for a really good price, like at least half of what the current new Pro is for the same storage. Works great and feels future proofed for some time to come. Try and get one of those.

Try to spring for the one housing the a10x. Nothing wrong with a9x in the first gen pro for general purpose computing but the dual core and 2gb ram on the first gen pro will mean a limited experience for higher end apps ina few years. A10x iPads have 4gb ram and many more cores, they wil last a lot longer.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Had the public beta installed on my XR for about a week and here are some impressions:

Bluetooth Controller:
Had my Xbox One controller hooked up and tried remote play. Uncharted 4 worked just fine. Miku Future Sound worked much better than expected.
The real sleeper hit here is Fortnite Mobile. It works like a dream and matchmakes you by input so you play with other Xbox players.
Only issue I had that I sent a report on was with Airpods and controllers. If I use my airpods 2nd gen with my xbox controller and play fortnite, it works just fine. If am on a call with the airpods, I still hear fortnite audio but the controller input becomes unresponsive.

And speaking of airpods, i've seen some connection issues with switching between my computer and going by to my phone. Sometimes call audio won't go through.

Looks like this issue wasn't fixed with Public beta 2

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Weird issue in safari with Public Beta 2, new tabs aren't put at the bottom, they're put second everytime. Known issue? Setting I can change?

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Do they actually fix things between the dev and pub betas or should I just go to the dev branch so I can be earlier

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if Chromecast compatibility is fixed on the developers beta yet?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Do they actually fix things between the dev and pub betas or should I just go to the dev branch so I can be earlier
This is what I wonder as well. I'm about to just download the developer version, but curious if there is any benefit other than getting it earlier?
They do if something big shows up between the release of the Dev and the PB. Not all the time, but sometimes. Usually when it's a different build someone will post about it on a news blog or Twitter.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
Public beta 2 killed the desktop version of YouTube on safari. I can't let videos run in the background or select 1080P like I used to in PB1.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Had the public beta installed on my XR for about a week and here are some impressions:

Bluetooth Controller:
Had my Xbox One controller hooked up and tried remote play. Uncharted 4 worked just fine. Miku Future Sound worked much better than expected.
The real sleeper hit here is Fortnite Mobile. It works like a dream and matchmakes you by input so you play with other Xbox players.
Only issue I had that I sent a report on was with Airpods and controllers. If I use my airpods 2nd gen with my xbox controller and play fortnite, it works just fine. If am on a call with the airpods, I still hear fortnite audio but the controller input becomes unresponsive.

And speaking of airpods, i've seen some connection issues with switching between my computer and going by to my phone. Sometimes call audio won't go through.

Update: Well this worked today. I'm not sure if it was some glitch with a restart or if there is a certain order I need to connect things, but today I was able to play Fortnite using my xbox controller while talking on the phone with airpods.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely haven't read the whole thread yet so sorry in advance if it's been brought up but has there been any news of user profiles on iPads in any upcoming updates? It's my biggest and I guess only complaint with them right now.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
iPad OS PB2 killed USB support. Neither my DAC/amp nor my memory stick respond at all.

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
did new beta fix music app on Apple TV? you think they will add a karaoke function? The new lyrics screen is great on a tv

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone with an iPhone X & above noticing a significant increase in time when you are closing apps and flipping them up? I could do it bullet fast, but there is a crazy lag in-between each app I close. Plus, YouTube runs like total ass now.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a master troll move that Apple TV is getting user profiles before iPad does

It was also the first platform to get dark mode

Is anyone with an iPhone X & above noticing a significant increase in time when you are closing apps and flipping them up? I could do it bullet fast, but there is a crazy lag in-between each app I close. Plus, YouTube runs like total ass now.

The phone is punishing you, stop doing that

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
To be fair, they've been there for years. It just was a hassle switching between them, so they made it easier.
But yeah, it's a missed opportunity that they didn't introduce it with iPadOS.

From comments its clear they know people want it. Must be Some sort of underlying security issue they are trying to solve first.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From comments its clear they know people want it. Must be Some sort of underlying security issue they are trying to solve first.
Also, while it's not an impossible hurdle to clear, you ultimately have to define how this impacts your drm/sharing policies. Typically, profiles for TVOS only extend to media purchases and rights, but the main UI and installed apps are shared between all users. On an iPad-as-a-computer experience, you'd want each user to have their own home screen configuration, define if apps are shared between all users, etc.
It's obviously not an excuse to not do it, but I can see how it's an order of magnitude more complex.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
They probably didn't notice because there is no reason anyone should be doing that.

FerranMG

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair, they've been there for years. It just was a hassle switching between them, so they made it easier.
But yeah, it's a missed opportunity that they didn't introduce it with iPadOS.

I assumed user profiles were coming to the iPad when I saw the announcement for profiles in tvOS last WWDC.
It was such a bummer not seeing it announced. :(

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I literally still have every single bug from the last beta so it doesn't feel like they've fixed much so far.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RIP me, no battery for me today.

UXpax6d.png

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been able to use the Files app to access a USB drive connected to an Airport Extreme?
Depends on how this drive is exposed to the network. If it's an SMB share, it will be natively possible whenever Apple fixes the integration / Files.app in general. Currently, that functionality is broken af. If it's something else, you'll need to look into a third party file provider.

Is anyone else terribly irritated by the new style of "platters" that the Home app uses? Talking about the small windows that pop up when you tap on an accessory (ie when setting light colors). It's impossible to dismiss those by tapping outside of them, you need to swipe down on them or tap the X. Throws me off every time. Submitted feedback a few days ago already, hope this wont stay like that.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on how this drive is exposed to the network. If it's an SMB share, it will be natively possible whenever Apple fixes the integration / Files.app in general. Currently, that functionality is broken af. If it's something else, you'll need to look into a third party file provider.

Is anyone else terribly irritated by the new style of "platters" that the Home app uses? Talking about the small windows that pop up when you tap on an accessory (ie when setting light colors). It's impossible to dismiss those by tapping outside of them, you need to swipe down on them or tap the X. Throws me off every time. Submitted feedback a few days ago already, hope this wont stay like that.

Are there any drawbacks to formatting the Airport drive as FAT32? It looks like that's needed to set it up as a SMB share. I don't use Time Machine.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any drawbacks to formatting the Airport drive as FAT32? It looks like that's needed to set it up as a SMB share. I don't use Time Machine.
Seems like a weird Limitation to me but I'm absolutely no expert in that regard (I can access my Mac mini via SMB just fine and that's APFS). If I recall correctly the most obvious drawback is the max file size of 4 GB.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
All of a sudden any music I play through the Music app is playing at like 4x+ speed. Anybody else on the beta experiencing this behavior?

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
I think I've narrowed it down to this one Bluetooth speaker I connect to in my office. It's very strange.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone else's TV app basically dead right now? It can load iTunes content just fine but nothing from connected apps (Hulu, HBO, etc). The beta is on both my iPad and my iPhone so it's hard to narrow down if this is a service issue or a beta issue, but I was using it fine up until today.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Did they intentionally remove swipe from edge to go back in Safari, or is something broken?