iOS 13, iPadOS and macOS Catalina Public Betas are out

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Still PB6 related but my Messages multitasking has been shot for a while now. Reported it a few times, to be sure. If dragged from dock to half screen it’s usually just a grey window. Resize to ¼ or floatover usually results in the same. Giving it ¾ shows some actual UI, namely just ¼ of the screen is a nonfunctional chat list and the other ½ is grey as before.

Unitasking Messages has been fine.

Maybe the incoming PB7 will address it. Just wanna see if anyone else has seen/heard of this issue.

Zeyphersan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Still PB6 related but my Messages multitasking has been shot for a while now. Reported it a few times, to be sure. If dragged from dock to half screen it’s usually just a grey window. Resize to ¼ or floatover usually results in the same. Giving it ¾ shows some actual UI, namely just ¼ of the screen is a nonfunctional chat list and the other ½ is grey as before.

Unitasking Messages has been fine.

Maybe the incoming PB7 will address it. Just wanna see if anyone else has seen/heard of this issue.
Yes, mine does the exact same thing

Stinkles

343 Industries
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll ever fix the wifi password bug (weak or inconsistent signal causes iOS to give out false "incorrect password" loop instead of, y'know, saying the wifi signal is weak or inconsistent. Been like that for at least two years through several updates. Also it's Facebook's issue, but the double spacing inserted when using the Safari web app instead of the facebook iOS app. But Apple could adjust the way the browser identifies itself. Not that they should have to. I think it's Facebook trying to get people to switch to and split into two apps (which is so stupid I have to stop talking about it now)

Tempted to sign my iPad 12 inch (headphone port gen) and try out files and storage.

Zeyphersan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Shortcuts no longer work on my HomePod, it just says “shortcuts not available”. Mildly annoying. Shortcuts also no longer work with CarPlay, Siri just says “shortcuts not available in the car” which is actually disruptive since I use the Overcast “next chapter” shortcut to skip ads and it’s worked up until the last beta while driving

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ios13 is finally sort of getting a metered connection with ‘low data mode’. Not sure how it’ll restrict data bit apparently it automatically turns on if you connect to your iPhone personal hotspot (eg from your iPad). It’d be amazing if it switched apps into Behaving like they were on mobile - so eg no auto updating App Store apps, no downloading podcasts unless your settings allow for that over mobile etc). Would make it much more likely i’d hotspot my iPad

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Ah ios13 is finally sort of getting a metered connection with ‘low data mode’. Not sure how it’ll restrict data bit apparently it automatically turns on if you connect to your iPhone personal hotspot (eg from your iPad). It’d be amazing if it switched apps into Behaving like they were on mobile - so eg no auto updating App Store apps, no downloading podcasts unless your settings allow for that over mobile etc). Would make it much more likely i’d hotspot my iPad
Yeah I really need this. I've lost lots of data cap from my iPad thinking it's on "wifi" while hotspotted and then downloaded a bunch of apps/podcasts/netflix in the background without me noticing.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I finally broke down and I'm installing PB7 now. I have a gen1 12.9 ipad pro and a 10.5 ipad pro, but I'm thinking about trading both in for a new ipad pro if the multitasking is improved enough, but would wait to see if they announce any new ones for release this year.

Edit: Are there still multitasking differences between the smaller and larger ipad pro or did they do away with those? (the side by side view used to be restricted on the smaller one and a couple other differences i believe)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
What bothers me about Apple, and has been for years, is that the development teams seem to still be organized around platforms as opposed to services.

For example: I like the new Maps features in iOS 13 like "Collections", list of places that can be shared with someone. That's great.

Doesn't exist in the Maps app in macOS Catalina however.

I'm sure they will add that at some point in the future, maybe next year, but why always this discrepancy?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Something I was just wondering, perhaps there are any iOS devs reading along: How flexible are you in regards to Catalyst? Can you re-design your interface to be Mac-optimized/Mac-like with ease or are even the most enthusiastic developers restricted to what amounts to a blown up ipad app?