• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Really want dark mode. Please let me know which apps are screwed so I know if I should jump or not.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes for my iPad Pro, but waiting until release for my iPhone.

I really look forward to trying iPadOS too much to wait. I think I can wait on Dark Mode for a few months for my phone, though.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
So the tv beta is out? Does this mean Steamlink will now work with DualShock?

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the same as one of the developer betas?
Generally the public betas come out either shortly after or 24 hours after the same developer beta release. They are the same beta in that case. I've seen them release them a week after a developer beta in the past as a newer beta version though (meaning if last week is dev beta 2, this is sort of like beta 2.1). Could go either way.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
how does this work in general? I just go to that web site and sign up? I've never installed a beta on any iOS device before.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I didn't want to try it because usually my credit union app stops working in betas but meh I'll roll the dice.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Tempted for the dark mode on iOS, but the performance and battery drain in typical betas aren't worth it for me.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The worst issues I've had with the developer betas on iPhone X and iPad Pro are crashing when changing the wallpaper and I've had to restart my iPad twice because video playing completely stopped working.

Haven't experienced any battery drain issues at all.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how does this work in general? I just go to that web site and sign up? I've never installed a beta on any iOS device before.
Yup, pretty much. You have to add a dev certificate on the phone/ipad and it downloads the beta OTA or the .ipsw if you want to do it via iTunes.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to try pair this with a controller and try out remote play.

Does anyone recommend a good mount/clip to hold a controller and iphone?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'd like to try, but I'm afraid that it may break functionality for some apps I'm beta testing, and I'd rather not risk losing those (on iPad). May jump in on my phone though.

Deleted member 39450

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA
Be careful with Catalina; they've changed a lot and 32 bit apps & subsystems will no longer run at all. This is going to be a rocky update for a lot of users...rocky, but necessary.

Last edited:

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Will probably wait a little bit before diving in. Want to make sure there are no system breaking bugs first. Will be staying tuned to this thread.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In before all the complaints about battery life from people that have never run a beta iOS before.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Installing iPadOS beta now because that's the most exciting one. Not going to risk my phone this time around and going to wait for the Catalina betas to be more stable.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I would love to plug in an external HD and back up my Procreate drawings with iPadOS.

Not sure if it's worth using a beta OS for months though...

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Just how bad are the battery issues in the betas? I'm very interested in iOS 13 for the controller support (I use in-home streaming a lot) but if it's going to drop me from like ~12 hours a charge to something silly like 6 hours or less, then I'll live with my current streaming solutions until this is actually out.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
So I've tried to download the prior several times now. Seems like it's worked but still no update available.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I have heard that the iOS 13 beta is not nearly as stable as the iOS 12 beta.
Really want dark mode. Please let me know which apps are screwed so I know if I should jump or not.
For what it's worth, dark mode isn't really going to be in full effect across the OS until third parties adopt the APIs anyway.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I have Developer Beta 2 (same as Pubic Beta 1)... I'd recommend waiting till the second one. Beta 1 was great, but Beta 2 has been buggier in my experience.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the developer beta on my new 12.9" iPad Pro the past few weeks. There are a number of annoying beta bugs and the full potential of the new multitasking doesn't really come into play until third-party apps get updated, but overall it's really elevated my feelings on the device without many drawbacks.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I really only use AMC, Discord, Messages, Mail, Maps, and Safari, so I'll probably be okay. Want that dark mode ASAP.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I have Developer Beta 2 (same as Pubic Beta 1)... I'd recommend waiting till the second one. Beta 1 was great, but Beta 2 has been buggier in my experience.
Do we know that this is definitely the same as developer beta 2? Sometimes when they are a week apart, the public beta is actually a newer version/build.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know that this is definitely the same as developer beta 2? Sometimes when they are a week apart, the public beta is actually a newer version/build.
That's what r/iosbeta and macrumors are saying. Usually the Public Beta comes out a day after the Developer Beta, at least once they're in a regular cadence

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I ran the dev beta 2 and my phone couldn't boot after a few days. Left it on overnight and it was stuck on the Apple logo. Had to hard restart and do a restore from iTunes. I mainly wanted it for Steamlink with an Xbox controller but Steamlink just kept crashing after configuring the controller.

I'd avoid the beta for now.

Safari is kind of buggy on the beta. It keeps opening the wrong ERA threads when I'd browse here.