• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just had an email telling me about the beta. Is the latest one much better to jump in to now or should I just hold fire still?
For iOS 13? There is still headroom for stability, but overall it's pretty stable right now. One thing to note if you use Reminders a lot, the new one is incompatible with the old one, so if you want to use it, it won't sync with other devices using the old Reminders (or with someone you share reminders with who also use the old one).

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
For iOS 13? There is still headroom for stability, but overall it's pretty stable right now. One thing to note if you use Reminders a lot, the new one is incompatible with the old one, so if you want to use it, it won't sync with other devices using the old Reminders (or with someone you share reminders with who also use the old one).
Yeah. That seems promising cheers. I do use reminders but I only have about 4 which I could write down and re input them I guess. Though I really want dark mode the most.

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have had no issues since beta 5, haven't noticed any changes in beta 6 either. Seems to be as smooth/good as it can get

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
They've removed pinning folders in Files to keep them downloaded. Annoying. Just give me the ability to keep all my iCloud Drive files local...

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You get the option to not upgrade the Reminders database if you have devices running 12 still.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
no magnifying glass means the cursor isn't reallyvisible - it used to 'pop up' above your finger to help you position. Too much of a guess with small text now. At least you can still use two fingers on the keyboard as a trackpad - imo selection cursor needs to still be offset from your finger
It is! That's how it's working for me in the latest beta. When I attempt to drag the cursor, it moves just above my finger as I slide it around.

In PB1, the cursor stayed underneath my finger which made it almost impossible to reposition accurately. It's much better now.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It is! That's how it's working for me in the latest beta. When I attempt to drag the cursor, it moves just above my finger as I slide it around.

In PB1, the cursor stayed underneath my finger which made it almost impossible to reposition accurately. It's much better now.

'yeah I just updated and it's much better. Need to learn not to long press but it's a good step. How do you do selection?

(apostrophe still there..)

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
'yeah I just updated and it's much better. Need to learn not to long press but it's a good step. How do you do selection?
Long press on a word to start the selection, then move your finger to select more words as soon as the selection starts. You can also drag the two endpoints around as though you were dragging a regular cursor.

In earlier PBs, it was possible to use double and triple taps to select a word, a sentence, or a paragraph but I'm not sure if that's working in PB5.

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't feel any improvements on beta 6 in day-to-day usage. And I'm not sure why the folder background transparency/adaption was changed, it is irritatingly indistinguishable now at times. Perhaps it looks better on distinct wallpapers but I basically always use a blurred iOS-layer-esque version of my lock screen image and the change doesn't go well with that at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Honestly I don't feel any improvements on beta 6 in day-to-day usage. And I'm not sure why the folder background transparency/adaption was changed, it is irritatingly indistinguishable now at times. Perhaps it looks better on distinct wallpapers but I basically always use a blurred iOS-layer-esque version of my lock screen image and the change doesn't go well with that at all.
A-are you my memoji doppleganger?

FWQqcY3.png

(Not ashamed to admit the stickers are among the best new features. And with them in the built-in keyboard, not even my non iMessage friends can escape!)

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Ha! They really are and its pretty amazing how individual and distinct they are despite the – in the grand scheme of things – limited customization. Them being exposed in the keyboard is really sort of a genius move by Apple since all these other Memoji clones suck ass lol, so it might drive a few people towards iPhone. Perhaps one day we will get a full Memoji board (with all professions and such)!

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Out of curiosity, is is worth trying iOS 13 on my iPhone SE?

Seems to be a little bit sluggish as of late — I remember the first six months of iOS 12 being surprisingly quick and almost felt like a new phone altogether!

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna

I think there is a bug in the blur algorithm, safari's header also looks very unseemly at times. I'd be surprised if this change stayed around.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Long press on a word to start the selection, then move your finger to select more words as soon as tge selection starts. You can also drag the two endpoints around as though you were dragging a regular cursor.

In earlier PBs, it was possible to use double and triple taps to select a word, a sentence, or a paragraph but I'm not sure if that's working in PB5.
This only works in Apple apps, right? Word still seems to use the old selection version with the magnifying glass.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Every time this thread bumps it gets harder and harder for me to not update my iPad Pro...hoping we get some kind of official date this month for iPad OS. Sounds like things are moving along quite nicely, from the impressions in this thread.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
It's a game changer for me. Watching a video/YouTube on the top third of the screen and being able to cycle freely between web browsing/Discord/mail etc is a god send.

I don't really care about "true" multitasking. It was the thing that pushed me to get a Note a couple years ago but I realized that the only thing I used it for was watching videos. So the one thing I would love is an iPhone implementation of Picture in Picture.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
A-are you my memoji doppleganger?

FWQqcY3.png

(Not ashamed to admit the stickers are among the best new features. And with them in the built-in keyboard, not even my non iMessage friends can escape!)
Out of curiosity, what happens if you send one of these face stickers to someone still on iOS 12? I tried sending Mario Run stickers years ago and my friend said she couldn't see what I sent. I sent a face sticker to someone and they didn't say anything about it.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My battery on iPad Air 2 and iPhone X drains so noticeably now, I don't know if it's the beta or what. My iPhone's battery health was 100% for 1.5 years, went to 99% in April and 98% a couple of days ago, and that's when it started to feel like it's tanking. The first 5% (>94%) feel like it drains at a normal rate, but then it accelerates. It used to be able to idle an entire day and only use 10-15% but now it uses up more than 50% idling...
The iPad used to be a tank, it would idle for days and days, but now it's empty before the second day is done.

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, what happens if you send one of these face stickers to someone still on iOS 12? I tried sending Mario Run stickers years ago and my friend said she couldn't see what I sent. I sent a face sticker to someone and they didn't say anything about it.

I think they work on iOS 12 as stickers to people with iMessage (they're just images essentially) but they send as a picture to non-iMessage people.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
They're just images and have worked perfectly fine texting to iOS 12 users and i see them just fine on my iOS 12 iPhone as well.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
RealVNC app doesn't seem to work on iPadOS beta. Their help pages just say they're working to make it compatible 'by the time of the official OS release'.. is there any other VNC app that works with the same server software? It's not something I use every day but that's the first real issue i've Bumped into

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I don't really care about "true" multitasking. It was the thing that pushed me to get a Note a couple years ago but I realized that the only thing I used it for was watching videos. So the one thing I would love is an iPhone implementation of Picture in Picture.

Why would you want to use PiP over true split screen for videos on a phone with such a small screen?

Goat's Beard

Oct 27, 2017
Initial impression: Apple Watch battery life seems a bit better so far. I'm on my second day with this charge; I'm used to it dying in one day with these betas.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
My iPad on the iPadOS beta is doing fine which is tempting me to move my iPhone XS Max to the iOS 13 beta... I just don't want to break apps

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My iPad on the iPadOS beta is doing fine which is tempting me to move my iPhone XS Max to the iOS 13 beta... I just don't want to break apps

I had a couple issues with MLB and OneNote but both were fixed with update 2. What apps do you use? I have the Max and everything is working good.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty damn weird and slightly annoying, my ipad now always shows me a "Not your airpods. Connect?" screen when my brother opens his airpods downstairs lol. We're in an icloud family but i have never used his pair on my devices.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
On the latest Watch update I don't seem to have automatic iMessages to reply back with, seems like there's a new issue every update.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
iOS Beta 6 fixed the crazy Watch battery usage for me as well.

Unfortunately, it also got rid of the Share ETA feature...I hope it clues back, as it was super-convenient.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the scroll speed for the trackpad on a MBP?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a micro usb or flash drive that I could use for the iPad Pro that doesn't stick out? Hoping to use it to store comics on and free up some space on my iPad.

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I ended up installing the iOS13 Public Beta 5 on my iPhone XS and my iPad Pro 3rd Gen. I really love all the new features and haven't noticed too many glaring bugs. Battery life seems a bit weaker on my iPhone XS but that's likely due to the fact that it's in beta. Otherwise, iPadOS has been fantastic on my iPad Pro.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
One thing that needs to get fixed in apps when paired with dark mode is that many apps flash a white screen before loading. Like YouTube for example. That needs to stop.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So how does one go about hooking up a DS4 to this bad boy?