• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually excited for tvOS 13. I promised not to put the beta on it since it's in the living room and not really a "personal" device but I'm here for profiles. They've been a long time coming

partyhat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Anyway to revert from 13.1 public beta to just 13 when it drops next week?

I need to take my iPhone 7 in for a battery replacement and I don't want them trying to charge me for it by making some bs reason about using beta that could have made it go to "service" state, when it was like that in ios12.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
excuse me, but this is the biggest innovation:

ios13volumeindicator.jpg
Whomever decided that the volume control should be a huge icon in the center of the screen blocking the content you are adjusting volume of, needs to learn to actually test the features they work on in real world tasks :)

Of course, even with the fix it still has stupidities - let's say I'm browsing the web on my iPad and about to watch a video, so want to adjust the volume. I press the volume buttons - and it adjusts the "ringer" volume, not global/app volume. I can't adjust the real volume until the app starts playing sound. On a tablet where it's much more likely I'll be adjusting global app volume than ringer volume.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm actually excited for tvOS 13. I promised not to put the beta on it since it's in the living room and not really a "personal" device but I'm here for profiles. They've been a long time coming
It's almost insulting how tvOS (based on iOS) now has multi-user support but iPadOS (based on iOS) does not.

Have they even been to any households with iPads? It's a family device!

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as the GM drops in Beta I'll download it. I do this every year so I can get the update early.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway to revert from 13.1 public beta to just 13 when it drops next week?

I need to take my iPhone 7 in for a battery replacement and I don't want them trying to charge me for it by making some bs reason about using beta that could have made it go to "service" state, when it was like that in ios12.
You need to delete the beta profile and reboot *before the new OS is released* and then update to the new non-beta OS when it comes out. You can't wait until after the OS is released, because manually looking for an existing Software Update won't return one unless it's a higher version than what is installed on the device. So your phone has to notice the new OS on its own.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Whomever decided that the volume control should be a huge icon in the center of the screen blocking the content you are adjusting volume of, needs to learn to actually test the features they work on in real world tasks :)

Of course, even with the fix it still has stupidities - let's say I'm browsing the web on my iPad and about to watch a video, so want to adjust the volume. I press the volume buttons - and it adjusts the "ringer" volume, not global/app volume. I can't adjust the real volume until the app starts playing sound.

control center

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
It's almost insulting how tvOS (based on iOS) now has multi-user support but iPadOS (based on iOS) does not.

It's got to be partly because they want everyone in a house to own their own iPad while you only need one Apple TV per TV.

but yea it would be super cool if you used Face ID to log you into your own desktop on iPadOS. Next year?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Of course, even with the fix it still has stupidities - let's say I'm browsing the web on my iPad and about to watch a video, so want to adjust the volume. I press the volume buttons - and it adjusts the "ringer" volume, not global/app volume. I can't adjust the real volume until the app starts playing sound. On a tablet where it's much more likely I'll be adjusting global app volume than ringer volume.

Turn off "change with buttons" in Sounds and Haptics in Settings and be happy

I'm pretty sure Apple execs just buy an iPad for each family member

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Turn off "change with buttons" in Sounds and Haptics in Settings and be happy
It's bad design for that to be the default behavior, especially on an iPad. And disabling "change with buttons" still isn't the best solution, because it *should* be changeable with buttons, but only when either a system sound is playing, or the user isn't in an app. It's all about user expectations.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
You need to delete the beta profile and reboot *before the new OS is released* and then update to the new non-beta OS when it comes out. You can't wait until after the OS is released, because manually looking for an existing Software Update won't return one unless it's a higher version than what is installed on the device. So your phone has to notice the new OS on its own.

Once the public release drops can't someone with a beta profile installed see the update, delete their profile, restart and thus be prompted for the public version of the update?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting that education iPad deployment has multi user support so they have it developed but it's not for public use.

It's not exactly the same in education since all the profiles are hosted in the cloud, not on the iPad itself. Not really tenable in a family situation where you don't want to redownload essentially the entire iPad every time a new user logs in (which is what education profiles do).

Not saying multi-user support isn't possible, but there's a reason that specific implementation hasn't expanded beyond the classroom

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
It's not exactly the same in education since all the profiles are hosted in the cloud, not on the iPad itself. Not really tenable in a family situation where you don't want to redownload essentially the entire iPad every time a new user logs in (which is what education profiles do).

Not saying multi-user support isn't possible, but there's a reason that specific implementation hasn't expanded beyond the classroom
Yes and no it's something that they already built and would need to tweak for the consumer space but a lot of the features are already there.
What I've read from Apple's website is that it does both cloud storage and storage on the device. It doesn't just auto erase the iPad once another user signs in since you can allocate how much storage to dedicate to each user. If it runs out of storage it will then auto delete the oldest user's data first to gain space. Makes sense in an education setting where you might have several students per iPad but in a regular household you would encounter this less because you would have less users. Especially if you have a higher storage capacity iPad.

Last edited:

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Don't the release dates come out the same day as the Apple event usually? So it would be available today?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Controller is the best thing from the new iOS.

Has anyone managed to do Steam Link through iOS 13 with an Xbox controller yet? I tried briefly with an early beta but couldn't get the controller to recognize through Steam.

Apr 8, 2018
Can anyone confirm if there's a toggle to have Light Mode turn on at sunrise and Dark Mode turn on at sunset? I love apps and devices that offer this feature.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Once the public release drops can't someone with a beta profile installed see the update, delete their profile, restart and thus be prompted for the public version of the update?
No, because you will have a newer version of the OS on the server (13.1) so it won't download 3.0. You *can* manually install the OS, if I remember right it involves downloading the full OS from Apple's developer site and then using iTunes to install

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Update can't come soon enough. I need swipe typing and those CarPlay updates in my life.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im currently on 13.1 beta

I've saved on iCloud unfortunately. I'll buy the new 11 but I won't be able to get my save data back unless I install the beta profile on the new phone? :(