• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
So who's going to wait a while before they upgrade? I know the beta has been out for a while. And there's always the random occurrence that an update will mess up a few phones. But I always like to wait at least a month before updating to make sure they've hashed out any unexpected kinks.
I'm flashing iOS 13 GM via Mac iTunes right now.
Apparently, you don't need Catalina or XCode to do it.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Installed iOS 13 on my iPhone 8 Plus. Dark theme is nice.

I followed these instructions for Windows (linked in the iOS 13 GM Reddit thread). It didn't work initially, and I forgot to select to keep my data, but it wiped my phone clean and it worked a second time.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Face ID stopped working on my iPad Pro some time ago. Seems like it's some type of software glitch.

Do you all think that it'll start working again when I install iOS 13, or do I have to do what Apple's site suggest, which is to do a complete reset of the iPad?
Do Memoji still work on that iPad? Seem pretty unusual for Face ID to stop working and then for that to persist through restarts. Sounds like something you're better off to get checked with Apple.

Nope. The issue with Catalina and XCode being a necessity was a bug. They managed to fix it I guess.
It does seem to require updated components to be able to upgrade through iTunes/non-Catalina but asks you if you want to download and install them automatically. If you've ever installed the Xcode 11 beta or GM then those components are already installed.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mock my own phone but this list looks like a list of every other phone from 2012.

Dark mode? Swipe typing?

They literally called today "innovation"

LOL. We're Stockholm syndrome

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Not to mock my own phone but this list looks like a list of every other phone from 2012.

Dark mode? Swipe typing?

Performance is the biggest. iOS12 smoked Android and now the difference is even larger. I can't stress how fluid it is. They managed to make even FaceID faster.

But yeah, they shouldn't have called the even "Innovation" because there wasn't any.

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I'm a bit confused and hoping someone can help me understand what I'd need to do to get the official version of iOS 13.

I'm on the latest public beta of iOS 13 and have deleted the profile off my phone. Will my phone automatically update to the production version of iOS 13 on Sept 19th then or do I need to remove iOS 13 first?

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why aren't they talking up the sign in with Apple thing more? They're not treating it like Airpower right? That's the main thing I cared about..

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

Dark mode? Swipe typing?

I know it was a calculated business decision, as all Apple things are, but it feels like they dropped the price of the R phone by $50 because even they are embarrassed by all the fuckingnothing.jpg they brought to the table today.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017

Dark mode? Swipe typing?

dark mode just came to android 10 last week and Google didn't even bother updating half their apps to support it

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit confused and hoping someone can help me understand what I'd need to do to get the official version of iOS 13.

I'm on the latest public beta of iOS 13 and have deleted the profile off my phone. Will my phone automatically update to the production version of iOS 13 on Sept 19th then or do I need to remove iOS 13 first?
You should receive an OTA prompt on September 19th prompting you to update to the General Release of iOS13.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Ah man, didn't realize third party apps need to update their Widgets to support dark mode. Thought their background would just change too.
Harmony ain't ever updating.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Downloaded and installed iOS 13 GM on my iPhone SE and moving around the OS definitely feels snappier.

It's cool that everybody can create Memoji now even if you don't have a phone that supports it natively.

That swiping keyboard thing is garbage though, turned that off immediately.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Downloaded and installed iOS 13 GM on my iPhone SE and moving around the OS definitely feels snappier.

It's cool that everybody can create Memoji now even if you don't have a phone that supports it natively.

That swiping keyboard thing is garbage though, turned that off immediately.
You have to give it time. Most people are likely faster after adjusting to the swiping.
I loved it with 3rd party keyboard and I could write more quickly than usual, but being a 3rd party keyboard obviously had drawbacks.

So far the official implementation is ok, but I've only used it a couple times now.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to the iPad OS.

A bit off-topic: So I'm experiencing this weird issue with my iPad Pro where it's locked to the portrait orientation until an app goes landscape. Even in landscape it's locked to just one position, need to hold it "upside down" to view the content right side up. It's very weird and Googling hasn't helped much. Anyone experience this? I've tried restarts, the rotation toggle too, etc. Only thing left is a clean format but I am hesitant to do that.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one not getting proper voice prompts in navigation on iOS 13? I'm getting like 1/5 of the prompts while the rest of the time, the background music lowers for about 1.5-2.0 seconds but there's no voice prompt.

Almost like it's lowering the music volume but instead of the expected prompt there's nothing and then it raises the volume again immediately.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017

Dark mode? Swipe typing?

dark mode and swiping were handled very briefly at the last wwdc. their big innovation for this year were clearly the camera and again the soc.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Really looking forward to the iPad OS.

A bit off-topic: So I'm experiencing this weird issue with my iPad Pro where it's locked to the portrait orientation until an app goes landscape. Even in landscape it's locked to just one position, need to hold it "upside down" to view the content right side up. It's very weird and Googling hasn't helped much. Anyone experience this? I've tried restarts, the rotation toggle too, etc. Only thing left is a clean format but I am hesitant to do that.
I just got an iPad Pro 11in and I'm having occasional issues with the orientation getting stuck.

For me I just have to turn the screen off and on and it usually fixes it.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I've never used it, but after reading your port, I tried, and it did not work. It said 'face tracking not working'.
Yeah that sounds like a hardware failure that you should get looked at ASAP before your warranty runs out.

Assuming it persist after restarting, the next thing you should try is backing up and wiping it and checking if it's non-functional. That should absolutely rule out any bugs or issues with your current installation.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely don't try and update to the GM early, and maybe wait for 13.1 before updating at all - or at least iPadOS' release if you have one.
  • Installing the update put my phone into data recovery mode (which took a long time, but succeeded)
  • The "intelligent charging" feature decided that I don't actually need to use my phone today, so I woke up with it at 2% remaining. It's possible that leaving Sleep Cycle running overnight, as I always do, is the reason for this, but that's really bad.
  • The Screen Time prompt in Safari is blocked by the toolbar so you can only access it if you're lucky and manage to just hit that one pixel where it's still active
  • TouchID breaks in any app which was blocked by Screen Time (probably FaceID too). This was already bad on iOS 12; apps would either take a very long time to prompt, or would require a restart for the TouchID/FaceID prompt to work. Now on iOS 13 nothing I do brings up the prompt. I had to add the apps to the "always allowed" list and restart.
  • The Reminders app updated my lists automatically the second time I opened the app, despite declining it, so now when I try to access the list on other devices I get this. That's particularly bad because of shared lists with other people.
  • The new Reminders app shows promise, and while there are some features I'd miss, OmniFocus is moving toward subscriptions (I expect OmniFocus 4.0 to be subscription-only) so I've been looking for a way to ditch it. But it's really buggy - especially when dragging items around. Items often get locked in place and stop dragging, requiring me to restart the app.
  • Every time I open the Reminders app, all of the lists groups are open, which defeats the purpose of sorting them into groups for me.
  • The main feature missing from the Reminders app right now is that you can't seem to assign a list to a location. Being able to assign lists to a location and have it send me a notification when I get there is one of the best features of OmniFocus.
  • Being able to assign lists to contacts, and prompt when they are nearby would be a great feature too. I keep lists for friends and family as reminders that I can check if they're visiting, or if I'm visiting them; whether that's things to discuss, do, buy etc.
  • The Reminders app really needs tags. For example: I want to have gifts assigned to the person they are for, but also show up in an "all gifts" list that I can check. I don't expect it to be matching apps like OmniFocus right out of the gate, but it's a big omission.
  • The new Photos app is really, really bad. Instead of seeing an overview of all my photos which are grouped "smartly" by event, day, or location, everything is condensed into a single list that never gets more than three images wide and often displays one big photo.
Being able to zoom out in Safari on iPhone is a great addition; though I haven't tested it to see if that zoom level is per-site or global.

Oct 27, 2017
If you are all-in like me, I'm getting the feeling that its going to be better to wait until Catalina is out and update everything (phone, iPad, watch, Mac etc) together at once rather than only get the new features in piecemeal releases.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
The three updates releasing at different times is a bummer since some features depend on the others to work.

I'll probably still update one at a time but it seems October with Catalina is when the full update is released.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I put the GM on my phone, and the newest 13.1 beta on my iPad. Don't want my phone to be on the beta to complicate my upgrade to the 11, but since I'm not getting a new iPad might as well get that thing as close to the 13.1 GM as possible. No point leaving it on 13.0b8

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Installed the GM no problem. Initial impressions after around an hour:

wow the Face ID and app opening speed increase are definitely noticeable
dark mode is going to take some getting used to and opening a third-party app with a white background is pretty jarring
I finally got dark mode in Outlook thank god
new share sheet is a lot better
new volume indicator looks great
not a fan of Haptic Touch, glad you can still use 3D Touch but I'll miss it when that's gone
swipe keyboard typing seems accurate, I often found other versions to be pretty hit or miss
Memoji!

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
You really notice where 3D Touch is missing. I think it was removed completely in the betas before being gradually reinstated, probably to combine the code with Haptic Touch system-wide.

But it's still missing from Messages and it's just a pain to hold on a message and get no response until seemingly ages later when Haptic Touch kicks in. I hope it returns to Messages.

Also, I've noticed some new keyboard behaviour - if you backspace and remove all the letters of a word, it also removed the preceding space, which is super annoying as I normally just want to retype that word and not go back to the previous word. Any way to turn this off?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You really notice where 3D Touch is missing. I think it was removed completely in the betas before being gradually reinstated, probably to combine the code with Haptic Touch system-wide.

But it's still missing from Messages and it's just a pain to hold on a message and get no response until seemingly ages later when Haptic Touch kicks in. I hope it returns to Messages.

Also, I've noticed some new keyboard behaviour - if you backspace and remove all the letters of a word, it also removed the preceding space, which is super annoying as I normally just want to retype that word and not go back to the previous word. Any way to turn this off?

The Messages thing, if you're referring to activating tapbacks, just double tap on a message, don't hold and wait.

The second thing I believe is Era-specific (at least, I haven't encountered it anywhere else) and it's related to having the gear enabled (I believe in-line styling) for your post. If you turn that off so the bar at the top of the comment box is grayed out, you won't have that issue anymore

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking to buy the iPhone 8, how's the performance on it?

Battery, how fluid it is... thanks!

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I think I solved my navigation issues by... quitting Maps and restarting it >_> Hopefully

The Messages thing, if you're referring to activating tapbacks, just double tap on a message, don't hold and wait.

The second thing I believe is Era-specific (at least, I haven't encountered it anywhere else) and it's related to having the gear enabled (I believe in-line styling) for your post. If you turn that off so the bar at the top of the comment box is grayed out, you won't have that issue anymore
Tapbacks, but also say if somebody sends a link and I want to copy that link. I used to be able to 3D Touch to peek and copy the link.

I'm glad those typing issues are Era-specific. Thanks for pointing that out!

Well it seems the majority of my issues are resolved, though I can get Photos to crash 100% by going to the Imported album and tapping the top of the screen. The OS overall feels really snappy though somewhat less stable than 12.4. Looking forward to things being ironed out in 13.1 and onwards.

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Installed the GM no problem. Initial impressions after around an hour:

wow the Face ID and app opening speed increase are definitely noticeable
dark mode is going to take some getting used to and opening a third-party app with a white background is pretty jarring
I finally got dark mode in Outlook thank god
new share sheet is a lot better
new volume indicator looks great
not a fan of Haptic Touch, glad you can still use 3D Touch but I'll miss it when that's gone
swipe keyboard typing seems accurate, I often found other versions to be pretty hit or miss
Memoji!

I got an update a week ago saying dark mode was out, but that it might take a little time to show up as it's a slow rollout. I've received 3 updates since and still don't have dark mode in Outlook.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any battery efficiency improvements? Apple Music murders the battery on my Xs Max

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Just played around with it for a while on my XR, it's ridiculously fast.

So they finally added a native swipe keyboard and it's great, except it only works with a handful of languages.
They just added Dutch language support for the predictive word thing, which has been around since like iOS 8, so hopefully it doesn't take 5 years to get around to this time.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I got an update a week ago saying dark mode was out, but that it might take a little time to show up as it's a slow rollout. I've received 3 updates since and still don't have dark mode in Outlook.
Took me months to get the redesigned layout they announced at the start of the year. It's really annoying.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Oooof, iOS 13 GM is rough on iPhone (haven't been running iOS 13 on my phone yet but took the plunge this morning). Scrolling between home screen pages drops frames like crazy, Mail.app crashed twice on me already, vibration notifications on my Watch are dead (though that could be a disparity between watchOS 5 and iOS 13) and I already had two instances where the phone wouldn't react to the home bar and power button input for half a minute or so.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Oooof, iOS 13 GM is rough on iPhone (haven't been running iOS 13 on my phone yet but took the plunge this morning). Scrolling between home screen pages drops frames like crazy, Mail.app crashed twice on me already, vibration notifications on my Watch are dead (though that could be a disparity between watchOS 5 and iOS 13) and I already had two instances where the phone wouldn't react to the home bar and power button input for half a minute or so.
Which device are you on? About to put it on my Xr to mess around with it.