• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am pissed about a bug that got me this weekend on iPad Pro. I had typed up a pretty long and important document in split pane multitasking mode - one side was a PDF (in acrobat I thought) and the important doc was word processor. I went to check a fact online and I got the hard silent app crash- where the app you return to just dies and vanishes. I hadn't saved and it never made it to drafts, save or autorecovery. It happens a few times a month but usually it recovers a copy or reverts to previous condition/open tabs if it's browser etc.

I was bummed. My fault partly but stability of multitasking and caches seem to be contributing factors.

Oh and apple- Facebook is never going to fix their (possibly deliberately) buggy iPad browser forms so maybe you can throttle their ridiculous invasive keyboard and autocorrect scripts because I am not switching to their apps. Ever.

What does this mean?

Not Mobile version I guess but that's a user preference so I share your confusion.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't read the IPad caveat about multitasking and while I was like holy shit yes a minute ago I'm very pissed off right now

Oct 25, 2017
JNLv3ZM.jpg

You mean:

juY1ySU.png

😂

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As the owner of 2 iPad Pro's, this sounds amazing. Maybe I can finally stop using my 17" laptop as much for basic things like web browsing/watching videos.

I use my pro as my primary travel laptop and writing device. 12 inch with Smart Keyboard cover. For word, final draft, review playback and script notes — it is Fantastic. And some sketching. but I can't upgrade to new gen because they removed headphone jack making its "Pro" designation for media/screenwriting/AV/editing just ludicrous and completely unnecessary.

I don't like the phone removal but there's no rational justification for removing an almost essential industry standard connector from a thick 12 inch form factor. Hell it's fatter in that slab than the edge of the older model and there's not even the waterproof excuse.

And they better fix the random vanishing cursor bug. Happens on every app with typing.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Added to OP. More leaks

April 22: More leaked leaked

https://9to5mac.com/2019/04/22/wwdc-developers-siri-marzipan/

- Siri will open up more to developers for search, media playback, voice calling etc
- AR kit update will support human poses
- Taptic Engine will open up to developers
- NFC access will open up to developers
- document scanning access will open up to developers
- developers will allow apps to capture photos from sd cards and cameras directly instead of through photos app

Oct 25, 2017
Added to OP. More leaks

April 22: More leaked leaked

https://9to5mac.com/2019/04/22/wwdc-developers-siri-marzipan/

- Siri will open up more to developers for search, media playback, voice calling etc
- AR kit update will support human poses
- Taptic Engine will open up to developers
- NFC access will open up to developers
- document scanning access will open up to developers
- developers will allow apps to capture photos from sd cards and cameras directly instead of through photos app
Nothing super sexy since it's all developer geared, (and they should have had access to long, long ago anyway), but good strides nonetheless. A lot of it seems to be setting the stage for a real file system on iOS. Finally.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
iOS 13 is supposed to have the total Home Screen refresh that was rumored for 12 but delayed for under the hood stuff, right?

I wonder if my 6 will even be able to run iOS 13 ):

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing super sexy since it's all developer geared, (and they should have had access to long, long ago anyway), but good strides nonetheless. A lot of it seems to be setting the stage for a real file system on iOS. Finally.
Siri being opened to developers is pretty sexy. I would love it if I could just command Siri to play song on Spotify, since I don't have an Apple Music subscription.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Still waiting for external storage support and Finder.app.

Exactly. I like a good storage space up sell like anyone else but they gotta do this.

Maybe instead of drag down to open notifications -> drag right to open camera it opens finder instead. Something where it can be accessed without leaving the current window. iOS needs a modern redesign for modern user flows and make it more platform specific.

BC-2

Dec 3, 2018
System wide dark mode is all I've wanted for years. Using Apple music at night on an iPad is blinding.

I can only hope the expanded multitasking extends to non-pro models. I just picked up the newest non pro and that would be a great feature.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Still no battery % for X/XS? 😬
I'm not sure if you're being serious. But battery % is available now. You have to toggle it on in Settings. Then just swipe your finger down in the Home screen to see it.

I'm a bit apprehensive about changes to the Mail app. It's so simple and clean as it is now.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
it's sad that I don't care about anything on this thing other than mouse and keyboard support

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
Now make the rotation lock remember that I watch videos in landscape and everything else in portrait, instead of making me switch every damn time.

Proxy-Pie

Apr 3, 2018
Can they make the iCloud lock optional? I've had like 5 relatives reset their newish iPhones but can't remember the email/password they used, and it renders the phone unusable...

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Incoming calls take over your device? You don't just hit home and continue using your device when you need to? Or do you just mean initially? I know certain carriers don't let you use data while on a call but you can still use WiFi if you are on one.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
After years of reading and listening the "it just works" mantra, I got an iPad about a year ago and it is easily the worst browser experience I had. Any kind of "interactive" content is a complete hit or miss, here in the forum for example if someone posts a twitter video, or even just a Twitter text with some link I need to pray to god that my iPad will let me open the link / load the video. Same happens in a number of other sites. Just makes no sense. Workaround for me, sometimes, is reloading the page and trying to access the link a few seconds after it loaded, if I wait to long it wont work again. Im tired of "clicking" on a link and the browser zooming on the webpage.

Hope they fix this shit.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
there were heavy rumours of a home screen redesign :( they should at least remove that hideous greyish opaque bar at the bottom of the screen for your prime apps.

otherwise a disappointing list. a redesigned mail app is welcomed tho

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Incoming calls take over your device? You don't just hit home and continue using your device when you need to? Or do you just mean initially? I know certain carriers don't let you use data while on a call but you can still use WiFi if you are on one.

Initially. It's annoying at this point especially with the prevalence of spam calls. Personally I don't get many calls but my wife does and I've seen her browsing her iPad or iPhone and a spam call comes in and it just interrupts her since she knows it's spam and declines it. It's 2019. Incoming calls should be an optional notification w/ the standard sound. Or a notification w/ no sound. Or just a sound. Or the way it currently is. Let users customize it the way they want.

Personally I'd leave it the way it is since I rarely get a call and when they do come in it's a family member or a friend and I'd want to speak to them asap anyways.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

You sure this is a carrier thing? I thought it was due the fact that it wasn't until 3G networks that simultaneous voice/data were a thing. (i think you couldn't do that on CDMA networks like Sprint and Verizon).
Ever since 3G and LTE this shouldn't be an issue, right?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely consider the follow up iPad Pro if this holds true. Until then my original iPad Pro is still kicking.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017

If I'm not mistaken, you must accept or decline the call before you can resume what you're doing, even if you press home. Kinda lame, as someone who doesn't like talking on the phone 😆

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I am pissed about a bug that got me this weekend on iPad Pro. I had typed up a pretty long and important document in split pane multitasking mode - one side was a PDF (in acrobat I thought) and the important doc was word processor. I went to check a fact online and I got the hard silent app crash- where the app you return to just dies and vanishes. I hadn't saved and it never made it to drafts, save or autorecovery. It happens a few times a month but usually it recovers a copy or reverts to previous condition/open tabs if it's browser etc.

I was bummed. My fault partly but stability of multitasking and caches seem to be contributing factors.

Oh and apple- Facebook is never going to fix their (possibly deliberately) buggy iPad browser forms so maybe you can throttle their ridiculous invasive keyboard and autocorrect scripts because I am not switching to their apps. Ever.

Not Mobile version I guess but that's a user preference so I share your confusion.

i've seen word crash on every platform under the sun, with people losing data. save your stuff, otherwise you're gamblin

After years of reading and listening the "it just works" mantra, I got an iPad about a year ago and it is easily the worst browser experience I had. Any kind of "interactive" content is a complete hit or miss, here in the forum for example if someone posts a twitter video, or even just a Twitter text with some link I need to pray to god that my iPad will let me open the link / load the video. Same happens in a number of other sites. Just makes no sense. Workaround for me, sometimes, is reloading the page and trying to access the link a few seconds after it loaded, if I wait to long it wont work again. Im tired of "clicking" on a link and the browser zooming on the webpage.

Hope they fix this shit.

do you have an example of this? i'd like to test and see what it does for me

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
You sure this is a carrier thing? I thought it was due the fact that it wasn't until 3G networks that simultaneous voice/data were a thing. (i think you couldn't do that on CDMA networks like Sprint and Verizon).
Ever since 3G and LTE this shouldn't be an issue, right?
It's a CDMA vs. GSM thing.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/300986/cdma-vs-gsm-whats-the-difference
3G CDMA networks (known as EV-DO or Evolution Data Optimized) also, generally, can't make voice calls and transmit data at the same time. Once more, that's an available option (known as SV-DO for Simultaneous Voice and Data Optimization), but one that US carriers haven't adopted for their networks and phones.

On the other hand, all 3G GSM networks have simultaneous voice and data, because it's a required part of the spec. (3G GSM is also actually a type of CDMA. I'll explain that later.)

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

I really hope this ends up meaning I can tether my camera directly to my iPad and shoot in Lightroom CC. Would be incredible to have that kind of flexibility (and portability) with photos on the go when paired with Photoshop.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
System wide dark mode and true iPad multitasking is fantastic. Love my Pro and use it as a defacto laptop but hate how much it feels like a giant iPhone at times, this is a welcome design change.

Also less intrusive volume control is a god send, gets in the way every day when I'm trying to watch MLB At Bat highlights.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else have an issue adding text to a picture in the current Picture app? (Edit/markup/text/double-tap = can't select add or alter text. Occasionally the double tap will make a cursor blink for a nanasecond but then it goes away and the text is unchangeable.)

Wondering if the error is between the keyboard and the chair as they say, or a known issue with pic edit right now

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Please - I might even buy your overpriced Smart Keyboard. Although i'd Prefer your even more expensive Smart Keyboard and trackpad cover..

If I could have a MS Surface Pro-like type cover with an Apple quality trackpad for use on an iPad along with proper file system access then an iPad Pro could replace my Macbook.