• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Contemplating buying a new phone (iphone x) but might wait for WWDC and iOS 13 info before deciding on that vs. Android. Not sure exactly what I'm hoping to see but one minor thing would be an expansion of some services. News STILL being available only in 4 countries is a total embarrassment.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If I could have a MS Surface Pro-like type cover with an Apple quality trackpad for use on an iPad along with proper file system access then an iPad Pro could replace my Macbook.

Facts. Shit gets more use than my xps simply due to how portable and quiet it is. But typing on this cardboard keyboard they call a smart cover is not doing the trick. Especially at night w/ no backlit keyboard support.

Oct 27, 2017
I still want to see the XR's portrait mode (on the wide lens), to make it over to the XS. hoping iOS 13 rectifies that.

There is no reason that the $1000 phone shouldn't be able to do something that the $750 phone can do unless it's a hardware limitation (eg different physical sizes, so larger battery).

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This concept is getting posted some places. Nothing really outrageous or overly interesting though - https://www.behance.net/gallery/80675205/iOS-13-Concept-by-Alvaro-Pabesio

JQk3UGX.jpg

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the new email app means better junk mail filtering. My iCloud email, which thankfully I don't use, is the only email of mine that gets constant, obvious spam in the inbox via the default Mail app. I don't even know how, as I've never used that address for anything.

I mean sure, I get spam on Gmail, but it does a good job of filtering it so I never have to see it.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
These concepts literally make my experience using iOS worse because I know it will never be this good.
Not sure about the iPad stuff but the iPhone ones seem pretty safe. They seem based on rumoured features (dark mode, new reminders app, etc.) so I could see this being close to reality.

Oct 27, 2017
If they don't put PiP video on the iPhone I swear to god, I fucking riot...
It's the one Android feature I'm truly jealous of.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Aliens will visit Earth and people will be living on Mars before Apple gives us split screen multitasking on iPhone :-(

NNN

Nov 1, 2017
I just want dark mode to be actual dark mode meaning black/true dark. It will help with the battery immensely esp with iPhone X and Xs

signal

Oct 28, 2017
8ish days or so?

Kind of hoping it looks terrible because I'm feeling priced out of iPhones lately so it would make a switch to android easier lol.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
all these concepts look so tacky, not saying everything Apple makes is a hit but these look like cheap knockoffs by some junior designers.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Hope the "dark mode" is predominantly actual black instead of the greys of the concept images (and of Era's dark theme).

If you're making a mode for OLEDs, going with grey defeats the point.

it doesn't. and going all black causes smearing on scroll. it's also my aesthetic choice but technically we're not there yet.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
it doesn't. and going all black causes smearing on scroll. it's also my aesthetic choice but technically we're not there yet.

This is a big issue, but it's also not a good idea to use pure black because it's just too contrasty for UI. There's a reason Photoshop and other programs have grey themes, it overwhelms the content. Dark grey themes are much better than pure black.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Dark mode isn't for battery consumption, it's for your eyes at night. While a pure black does I prove battery use, it won't be as effective as you may believe when doing your usual day to day stuff, and will look like ass with it. So hopefully it's a dark grey dark mode, as pure black looks shit, design wise.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have all my websites and apps permanently in dark mode, so honestly anything is fine with me. The apps that offer dark grey versus pure black I always go pure black and love it

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dark mode isn't for battery consumption, it's for your eyes at night. While a pure black does I prove battery use, it won't be as effective as you may believe when doing your usual day to day stuff, and will look like ass with it. So hopefully it's a dark grey dark mode, as pure black looks shit, design wise.

It'll look like the macOS dark theme, which is dark grey.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Both Tweetbot and FB Messenger have gorgeous almost all-black modes.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah pure black is idiotic and just creates smearing on OLED screens. I hope Apple has more sense than that.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Where's all this courage Apple likes to tout when it comes time to work on a new iOS version. I look forward to dark mode but something that should have been there 2 or 3 years ago is hardly enough to excite me.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Seems to be plenty of battery consumption to be won by having it on.

bruhh

Oct 26, 2017
No way it'll be pure black dark mode. Too extreme for most people, looks ugly in a lot of places and doesn't fit with the usual Apple style.

The best features:
- System wide Dark Mode
- True desktop like multitasking on iPad
- email app upgraded to similar to outlook email app
- Siri will open up more to developers for search, media playback, voice calling etc

This should be a nice update. A new UI refresh would have been nice but dark mode will suffice. Lets hope it's not saved for 13.1 or some bs like that.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
I hope alongside dark mode, they update the currently "forced" dark mode apps like Books (no way to toggle light mode if you're in too dim of an area), Stocks, Clock, etc.

My astigmatism makes light-on-dark migraine triggering, since it creates halo effects around the letters. Haven't been able to use the Books app since the latest refresh (iOS 12 I think?) because of that. x_x

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I hope alongside dark mode, they update the currently "forced" dark mode apps like Books (no way to toggle light mode if you're in too dim of an area), Stocks, Clock, etc.

My astigmatism makes light-on-dark migraine triggering, since it creates halo effects around the letters. Haven't been able to use the Books app since the latest refresh (iOS 12 I think?) because of that. x_x
Have you tried the screen invert accessibility feature for these apps? Its kinda mind boggling they don't offer light themes for those apps but better than nothing I guess

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried the screen invert accessibility feature for these apps? Its kinda mind boggling they don't offer light themes for those apps but better than nothing I guess

Yeah, that works alright enough, but kind of a pain to have to remember to do it each time, since I don't want light apps dark mode'ing themselves.

It's funny with Stocks in particular, since there is a light mode as macOS 10.14 uses it, they just didn't want to enable it on iOS.

Books has a light mode and you can toggle automatic night mode off, I just checked.

Are you talking about the app or the book reading view? I know the latter is there (I have it set to be forced light mode), but AFAIK the UI is forced based on the lighting in the room for the actual app/store/non-book sections.

(Unless I missed something completely and there is a toggle for the app part.)

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Are you talking about the app or the book reading view? I know the latter is there (I have it set to be forced light mode), but AFAIK the UI is forced based on the lighting in the room for the actual app/store/non-book sections.

(Unless I missed something completely and there is a toggle for the app part.)

just talking about the reading mode.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Exclusive: Screenshots reveal iOS 13 Dark Mode, new Reminders app, more

O1mYdCo.jpg

egGPTCf.jpg

We're less than a week away from WWDC, when Apple is expected to unveil the new versions of all its operating systems, including iOS 13. We've talked about what to expect in detail, with information from sources familiar with the development of Apple's operating systems. Today, we have screenshots from iOS 13, shared exclusively with 9to5Mac, that show some of its new features.

Dark Mode can be enabled in the Settings app or with an option in Control Center, for quick access to the feature. On the Home screen, the only noticeable change is the Dock, which adopts a vibrant dark background instead of the light one. It's possible that Apple will be including new wallpapers that work better in Dark Mode with the new OS.

When looking at an app such as Music in Dark Mode, it's possible to see that Apple is using a true black background, which looks great on an OLED device. The change may also affect battery life since the OLED display doesn't have to use power to light up the black pixels.

Yep that's iOS alright. Not sure if it's accurate but it claims true black which some people here were discussing. And new reminders app is similar to https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memento-modern-reminders/id1200227397?mt=8

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
- email app upgraded to similar to outlook email app

I wish they'd do this with the desktop Apple Mail. I just want to be able to attach jpegs within the header instead of in the body of the email.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I really hope this is finally the year when they finally choose to decouple the built-in apps from the OS, and give the ability to set default apps. Especially if they want to push iPad Pro as a laptop replacement.