• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
This is just them asking for subsidies, once the Government gives in they'll vote Republican again.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta have a sense of moral superiority towards desperate people who were collectively lied to, subject to years of propaganda and poor education.
I guarantee you black folks have had it worse than white Iowans in most metrics across this country's history and they still didn't vote for Trump.

What is the difference?

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Inspirational-Lyndon-B.-Johnson-Quotes-About-Empty-His-Pockets.jpg

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Stuff like this and rust belt workers sold lies gives me confidence that trump will lose in 2020. There simply isn't a way for trump to win if Pennsylvania and Ohio are blue.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bet most of them will vote him again, because they'll surely convince themselves that it's the Dems/Hillary's fault.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I'll never vote for Trump again!!!"

*gets frightened at rap video while channel surfing*

*Votes Trump in 2020*

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Mostly elitism and a lack of acknowledgement that people in this demographic were culturally brainwashed and deliberately misinformed using targeted ads and inaccurate reporting on social media. Gotta have a sense of moral superiority towards desperate people who were collectively lied to, subject to years of propaganda and poor education.
See, I totally get what you're saying, and I wont deny that there is a danger of some level of general moral smugness going on here, and I say that even regarding my own personal reactions to this story, but as someone who grew up deep in the culture and influences that you are describing, I cant say that my heart bleeds for grown ass adults who made the conscious choice to vote for a racist oompa-loompa just because he coddled them with rhetoric that fed directly into their worst tendencies. At what point do we have a responsibility to confront people with their choices and the fact that they made wrong decisions? I know that if I personally hadn't been challenged in never would grown out of that mindset.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Tfw you can google that Trump has been a liar throughout his whole campaign + video proof in 10 minutes and yet still somehow are too dumb and vote for him.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am always somewhat torn on these Trump-regret stories.

I mean, this guy got duped. Like, so many got duped. They were lied to. And they should've seen it, and they should've understood what was happening, and they are entirely complicit and responsible, but at the end of the day they were duped. I don't have any sympathy for them, but I do have a kind of understanding that there is a real major difference between what is considered left and right in America in the general population. The right get fed a steady diet of propaganda from both the media they consume and their own social network, and they were just literally fooled. Conservatives are the easiest people to fool this regard. They essentially freeze emotional development at something like 12 years old and the rest of it is this kind of magical thinking informed by team sports/tribalism and militaristic bravado and religious justification and racism.

And like so many things from what is now the current future, there is a form of mind control, there really is, but it's so much shittier than what we expected : it's called Fox News, it only works on a third of the population, but it's enough to swing an election.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people in this thread acting as if Iowa isn't a swing state? Why write off potential votes?

Not only is Iowa considered a swing state but it's actually voted for the Democrat for president in every election since 1988 besides 2004 and 2016 (and Bush just barely won in 2004 by less than 1%). 2016 was an outlier in recent Iowa Presidential voting history.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is just them asking for subsidies, once the Government gives in they'll vote Republican again.

Yup. Expecting Republicans to actually learn or grow beyond the hate that drives them is like expecting a Kevin James movie to actually be good. At some point, you're the foolish one for expecting any better.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Not only is Iowa considered a swing state but it's actually voted for the Democrat for president in every election since 1988 besides 2004 and 2016 (and Bush just barely won in 2004 by less than 1%). 2016 was an outlier in recent Iowa Presidential voting history.

So if they voted for Trump they should STFU then. Media really needs to stop putting out these fluff pieces trying to get sympathy from the general population in regards to Republicans getting screwed over. They don't deserve any sympathy.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Zero sympathy. If you were stupid enough to vote for Trump in the first place after he talked about tariffs on China, you deserve every ounce of hardship that came as a result. Dumbass motherfuckers.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I guarantee you black folks have had it worse than white Iowans in most metrics across this country's history and they still didn't vote for Trump.

What is the difference?

Of course they have.

Don't think I'm condoning what they've done. But you also have to seize opportunities like this, not just for the sake of these communities, but also for future generations in these areas and the sheer pragmatism of using them against the opposition in the next election.

See, I totally get what you're saying, and I wont deny that there is a danger of some level of general moral smugness going on here, and I say that even regarding my own personal reactions to this story, but as someone who grew up deep in the culture and influences that you are describing, I cant say that my heart bleeds for grown ass adults who made the conscious choice to vote for a racist oompa-loompa just because he coddled them with rhetoric that fed directly into their worst tendencies. At what point do we have a responsibility to confront people with their choices and the fact that they made wrong decisions? I know that if I personally hadn't been challenged in never would grown out of that mindset.

I'm from Missouri. I know exactly what you're saying, and I wouldn't have changed if I weren't challenged either. But here's the thing: what a lot of people do in threads like this? Isn't challenging anyone, it's basically patting each other on the shoulder and indulging schadenfreude. You don't have to forgive racism or say that privilege doesn't exist to address the root causes of this stuff. Regardless of inequality, a problem is still a problem, and you address problems. But too many people on the left are too unwilling to write off the south and the midwest, which in addition to refusing to take advantage of people who might be drawn to the left, also ignores the minorities and inequality present in those communities.

You campaign everywhere. You take action everywhere. Hold whatever opinions of these people you want for their past decisions, and always hold them to task if they renege on their claims like this, but the fact that these people are openly expressing dissatisfaction with Trump is both a good thing AND an opportunity that is being ignored. By all means, speak out about the social injustices of middle america, confront people on racism and their choices, but it's also still our responsibility to make inroads in such communities so they can be corrected.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
most republicans like many or possibly most democrats approach an election knowing they'll simply do a all red or all blue ticket. the parties are so far apart that the thought is "any red is better than a blue." and vice versa. they'll vote for him again in 2020. maybe a few will actually take a stand but it won't be a meaningful number.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
So if they voted for Trump they should STFU then. Media really needs to stop putting out these fluff pieces trying to get sympathy from the general population in regards to Republicans getting screwed over. They don't deserve any sympathy.
Not sure why articles like this make you so angry, if there's enough sentiment like this that the media is doing stories on it I think that's a good thing for 2020. Sure not everyone will switch to the Democrat running but some will.

most republicans like many or possibly most democrats approach an election knowing they'll simply do a all red or all blue ticket. the parties are so far apart that the thought is "any red is better than a blue." and vice versa. they'll vote for him again in 2020. maybe a few will actually take a stand but it won't be a meaningful number.

Iowa has voted Democrat in most recent Presidential elections I don't think it's impossible that it will flip back in 2020 (though of course it's far to early to say either way). Also in 2018 3 out of the 4 Iowa House of Representitive districts went to Democrats.
J0xxfqX.jpg

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they have.

Don't think I'm condoning what they've done. But you also have to seize opportunities like this, not just for the sake of these communities, but also for future generations in these areas and the sheer pragmatism of using them against the opposition in the next election.
What opportunity is there to really seize though?

Democrats lost conservative whites forever with the signage of the Civil Rights Act. The reason Trump even got into office in the first place is because of a longstanding consistent foundation of hatred and apathy for minorities, which in turn has been a consistent foundation of this country's very existence.

There is nothing to actually seize because the cards have been laid bare for decades now. Centrists who needed a literal kick in the ass to see that sometimes not every political side is equivalent in veracity may or may not vote Democrat next year (although given Iowa's history it's likely they'll come away from Republican fuckery this time). Conservatives are gone forever. We should instead be energizing the bases we already have, and stop sacrificing their grievances to appease whites who will happily fuck minorities over in one or two cycles anyway.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Liberal politics work. There's no point in trying to protect your specific group. If you protect all groups, then everyone is covered. Including YOU if the tide turns slightly.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I'm from Missouri. I know exactly what you're saying, and I wouldn't have changed if I weren't challenged either. But here's the thing: what a lot of people do in threads like this? Isn't challenging anyone, it's basically patting each other on the shoulder and indulging schadenfreude. You don't have to forgive racism or say that privilege doesn't exist to address the root causes of this stuff. Regardless of inequality, a problem is still a problem, and you address problems. But too many people on the left are too unwilling to write off the south and the midwest, which in addition to refusing to take advantage of people who might be drawn to the left, also ignores the minorities and inequality present in those communities.

You campaign everywhere. You take action everywhere. Hold whatever opinions of these people you want for their past decisions, and always hold them to task if they renege on their claims like this, but the fact that these people are openly expressing dissatisfaction with Trump is both a good thing AND an opportunity that is being ignored. By all means, speak out about the social injustices of middle america, confront people on racism and their choices, but it's also still our responsibility to make inroads in such communities so they can be corrected.
I guess I'm just deeply conflicted, since I can see, from my own personal experience, the reality that people can in fact be pulled from that mindset, but at the same time my own personal experience also shows me how many people of that community are simply lost. As frustrated as they may be with Trump, their greater values will never allows them to vote for anyone with a D next to their name. It doesn't matter how much they vote against their own self interest or against the well-being of others, party lines have simply become the ultimate moral truth.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
What opportunity is there to really seize though?

Democrats lost conservative whites forever with the signage of the Civil Rights Act. The reason Trump even got into office in the first place is because of a longstanding consistent foundation of hatred and apathy for minorities, which in turn has been a consistent foundation of this country's very existence.

There is nothing to actually seize because the cards have been laid bare for decades now. Centrists who needed a literal kick in the ass to see that sometimes not every political side is equivalent in veracity may or may not vote Democrat next year (although given Iowa's history it's likely they'll come away from Republican fuckery this time). Conservatives are gone forever. We should instead be energizing the bases we already have, and stop sacrificing their grievances to appease whites who will happily fuck minorities over in one or two cycles anyway.

I'm not saying sacrifice anything. I'm saying try to galvanize people that are waffling like this by campaigning there and try to win over the ones who are focusing on this one issue with policies that will benefit their economic interests. You won't get everyone, you may not even get the majority, but you make inroads, and also get your message out to young people who aren't so far on. And what about black, Latino, LGBT people, and other minorities that live in these communities? Or people who are so disenfranchised that the left has given up on them, and respond not by supporting Republicans but with apathy? And young people who are not so far gone and have already begun to form their own opinions independent of their parents'?

I'm not saying compromise on issues or water down your message. But don't just IGNORE the shit going on here. It's not just about "winning over" people, either; there's no way to counter the things the GOP have done to rig the system in their favor in these areas without actual representatives. And again, as stated before, Iowa is a swing state.

I guess I'm just deeply conflicted, since I can see, from my own personal experience, the reality that people can in fact be pulled from that mindset, but at the same time my own personal experience also shows me how many people of that community are simply lost. As frustrated as they may be with Trump, their greater values will never allows them to vote for anyone with a D next to their name. It doesn't matter how much they vote against their own self interest or against the well-being of others, party lines have simply become the ultimate moral truth.

You take any opportunity you can. You might not win over anyone. You probably won't win over the majority. But the fact is, allowing these things to march toward economic and social entropy without even making an effort will ultimately poison the well forever. And by refusing to take such opportunities, you write off the disadvantaged and ignored and who aren't on the side of conservatives at the same time.

Last edited:

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this and rust belt workers sold lies gives me confidence that trump will lose in 2020. There simply isn't a way for trump to win if Pennsylvania and Ohio are blue.
these people will fall in line as soon as they see others suffering more. my guess is that trump does massive immigration sweeps around election time and they will fall over themselves to vote for trump again.