• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Avalt

Nov 3, 2017
Just picked up my iPad from my local Apple Store. It was pretty busy but the staff was nice and I got to briefly try the new MacBook Air. The screen and the whole thing looked very sexy in person. That's all that might matter to some buyers :p

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
11" owner here, coming from the 10.5 Pro. Have to say this is a very nice upgrade indeed. The wider screen is a huge improvement, especially for media since it reduces the black bars ever so slightly. The screen itself is pretty much equal to the old iPad screen, with one notable exception, the HDR in the new one is notably more vibrant, huge improvement. Definitely pick up a HDR flick in iTunes if you can (I suggest Mad Max Fury Road, skip to about 22 minutes into the movie when they go into the storm, it'll blow you away).

Sound wise it has indeed improved a lot, the bass is a lot punchier and the sound seems to be much more immersive, the old 10.5 was nothing to scoff at, but this is a step beyond that, even. Very well done.

Tons of apps not yet updated, as an App developer myself, I can appreciate that it will take a few weeks for everyone to catch up. iPad's used to be very easy, they were literally all the same resolution (even the move to retina didn't change anything app wise), but now there's the base iPad, the 10.5, the 11 and the 12.9 to optimize for, it creates a sort of Android like situation where you have to dynamically program lay-outs and quite frankly, that's not something we're used to doing on iOS. (though the iPhone's made a similar move with its plus and later X-style devices in various sizes).

The pencil has improved on the most important points it needed to as well. The magnetic attaching and wireless charging is a huge QoL update, the old method was terrible. The matte finish is much better and it's a lot more pleasant to hold now. The flattened edge helps with that as well, though ideally it would have flattened edges all around like a normal pencil. The touch button works really well, but like the resolution, needs to get supported by Apps first. I can definitely see it go to good use.

Device looks great, but that camera bump is complete trash, the previous 10.5 had a bump but didn't wobble on a flat service, this one does (albeit ever so slightly). It utterly sucks. Either remove the camera or increase the thickness of the advise and use it for a stellar battery life increase. I don't like cases, but it almost feels like you absolutely need to put one on here. Ridiculous design choice that Apple needs to be called out for more (same on iPhone's, tbh). The only thing the bump is good for is easily finding the orientation so you have the right side up for pencil attaching, so there's that.

Minor grips aside, I absolutely love the look of the device, the screen, the sound, it's a really nice improvement over the previous versions. Definitely going to enjoy using it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
11" owner here, coming from the 10.5 Pro. Have to say this is a very nice upgrade indeed. The wider screen is a huge improvement, especially for media since it reduces the black bars ever so slightly. The screen itself is pretty much equal to the old iPad screen, with one notable exception, the HDR in the new one is notably more vibrant, huge improvement. Definitely pick up a HDR flick in iTunes if you can (I suggest Mad Max Fury Road, skip to about 22 minutes into the movie when they go into the storm, it'll blow you away).

Sound wise it has indeed improved a lot, the bass is a lot puncher and the sound seems to be much more immersive, the old 10.5 was nothing to scoff at, but this is a step beyond that, even. Very well done.

Tons of apps not yet updated, as an App developer myself, I can appreciate that it will take a few weeks for everyone to catch up. iPad's used to be very easy, they were literally all the same resolution (even the move to retina didn't change anything app wise), but now there's the base iPad, the 10.5, the 11 and the 12.9 to optimize for, it creates a sort of Android like situation where you have to dynamically program lay-outs and quite frankly, that's not something we're used to doing on iOS. (though the iPhone's made a similar move with its plus and later X-style devices in various sizes).

The pencil has improved on the most important points it needed to as well. The magnetic attaching and wireless charging is a huge QoL update, the old method was terrible. The matte finish is much better and it's a lot more pleasant to hold now. The flattened edge helps with that as well, though ideally it would have flattened edges all around like a normal pencil. The touch button works really well, but like the resolution, needs to get supported by Apps first. I can definitely see it go to good use.

Device looks great, but that camera bump is complete trash, the previous 10.5 had a bump but didn't wobble on a flat service, this one does (albeit ever so slightly). It utterly sucks. Either remove the camera or increase the thickness of the advise and use it for a stellar battery life increase. I don't like cases, but it almost feels like you absolutely need to put one on here. Ridiculous design choice that Apple needs to be called out for more (same on iPhone's, tbh). The only thing the bump is good for is easily finding the orientation so you have the right side up for pencil attaching, so there's that.

Minor grips aside, I absolutely love the look of the device, the screen, the sound, it's a really nice improvement over the previous versions. Definitely going to enjoy using it.

Great to hear about the improved HDR, thank you. I wonder why they don't even mention it on the specs page, while the 10.5" and 12.9" gen 2 list it.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Do the new Pros support tap to wake like the Xr?

Also seeing all these real life pics make me salivate but I can't justify the 1000€ price tag for the base 12,9" model and I really want the upgrade in screen size. hngh :( Fingers crossed for some good deal next year

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
First time I got a new Apple product day 1 and I'm amazed. It probably helps that I've never had an iPad beyond an iPad 2. I immediately got Notability and Procreate and this is my favourite Apple product I own, ahead of the S4 Watch.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Got it. Love how they implemented tap to wake (like my Pixel 2 XL). The screen is gorgeous.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
What's a good recommended screen protector for the iPad Pro? The ones I got really fuck with the touch recognition so I took it off again. I assume they are too thick.

Also what the hell at the charging indicator not always showing up at the side where you stick the pen. Sending the device back over this tbh.

Last edited:

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I'd be so in if all the iPads got 6gbs of ram, maybe next time.
You know, and this is not to diminish your choice or negate it, but just because you mentioned mekory just now... I just opened some Apps I last opened over five hours ago. And all of them were exactly in the state they were when they were last open.

My OnePlus has 8GB of memory and for some reason force closes apps after an hour tops because of reasons only the Android team knows, I guess.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is slightly offtopic but still applies to my plans for iPad Pro usage.

Is there anything that is consumer level cost-wise and similar to XenDesktop? I have access to an app via Citrix at work but I would like access to an entire desktop for personal use. Does anyone offer anything like that?

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Just got mine from the Apple Store (12.9, 256G). It's surprising not very popular considering that they still have plenty of stock for walk-in customers hours after opening. Maybe it's the price?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Just got mine from the Apple Store (12.9, 256G). It's surprising not very popular considering that they still have plenty of stock for walk-in customers hours after opening. Maybe it's the price?
It's likely the price and the fact that the new version mostly just excites artists/content creators. The vast majority of people use their iPads for consuming Youtube/Hulu/Netflix so they don't need a new version unless they having something ancient like an iPad 2/3, but there is a $300 replacement iPad for that instead of paying $1000-1200+.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Welp, looks like my order w/Sprint is on backorder, not expected to ship until the 23rd - 30th. Went to the stores in town and none of them had it in stock and couldn't give me an idea of when they'd receive them (none of them had yet). Just gonna say screw it and wait it out. No big deal, at least that'll let me buy the case I want ahead of time, just hope they have one for the new Pro.

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Stopped at the Apple Store after seeing Mid-90s (great movie btw, a solid 7/10), since I'm too inpatient to wait until mine arrives tonight. I always order online because delivery to my mother's home about 45 minutes away saves me 5% on tax (~$50+ for this purchase).

Anyway, very brief first impressions:

12.9" feels way better than before, but there's still no getting around it - it's a big device. With Smart Keyboard, it's definitely similar to grabbing a laptop. As much as I really want that big display, it just doesn't make sense considering I have a 15" MBP.

11" felt great in the hand. Maybe the screen doesn't feel much bigger for those coming from 10.5; but as a 9.7 iPP user, it looked at felt more roomy. Colors were great, blacks were dark, and the whole screen was bright. 120hz is fantastic. That said, damn do I wish it was OLED - not nearly as inky and "poppy" as my XS.

Camera bulge is the worst thing ever. As someone who normally doesn't care, this is just unsightly as hell and kills the device's ability to lay flat.

Undecided on the Smart Keyboard. It's... fine? Looks better closed than before. But feeling the keys on the back was ehhhhh.... and it seriously double's the devices thickness. For $99 I could overlook these things... but $200? Insanity. Think, on BF, you could buy a Smart Keyboard or a whole other iPad for $50 more.

Heading out to pick up my 11" Silver 256GB later tonight. Will post more later. I think Space Grey is the better color now that I've seen them both, unfortunately.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty sure only iPhones have the ability to draw massive lines. iPad sells well, but doesn't have the same immediacy. Price certainly doesn't help either, I'll be curious to see how they sell. Macbook Air, too

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017

Sound wise it has indeed improved a lot, the bass is a lot punchier and the sound seems to be much more immersive, the old 10.5 was nothing to scoff at, but this is a step beyond that, even. Very well done.

I know in previous generations of iPad Pro the smaller 9.7"/10.5" size couldn't do full-size apps in the 50/50 multitasking view but the 12.9" size could (basically treating it like two iPad minis next to each other) - can the 11" iPad Pro do that or is it still subject to that same limitation?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I know in previous generations of iPad Pro the smaller 9.7"/10.5" size couldn't do full-size apps in the 50/50 multitasking view but the 12.9" size could (basically treating it like two iPad minis next to each other) - can the 11" iPad do that or is it still subject to that same limitation?
Still can't, however the pop-over app is now wider then before in landscape mode, so there's that.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
OK just popped in, played with 12.9 and 11

12.9 even with smaller bezels is HUGE

fee very comfortable with the 11

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what the devs think about the different aspect ratios. Part of me wish that they did the same with the 12.9 inch version. I never had a problem with my first gen iPad Pro's size so having a bigger screen in the same form factor would have been nice and they get to keep the same aspect ratios for both sizes.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I currently have an ipad air 2 and one issue I have with it is vibration from sound coming out of it's speakers. I'm guessing this isn't an issue anymore with newer ipads?

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I currently have an ipad air 2 and one issue I have with it is vibration from sound coming out of it's speakers. I'm guessing this isn't an issue anymore with newer ipads?
I'm pretty sure one of the hands on videos at the event mentioned that they can feel it but said it as a positive thing like having better bass this time around or something. They might have cranked it up though.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure my iPad Pro 10.5 vibrates sometimes, but it's not as intense as it was with the Air 2? I could just be imagining it tbh.

Ah, the Air 2... I'd still have mine now, and still probably be pretty happy with it, if it hadn't been for my best friend and my sister's dog working together to smash it to pieces.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any chance we get keyboards for the Ipad Pro with the touchbar any time soon that also don't look like cheap dollar store crap? I will be buying the new ipad Pro but don't know if I'll even both with that keyboard.

Also if anyone may know, yall think Black Friday/Cyber Monday will have the Pro on a $50-100 sale or should I just buy it this week?

I think the keyboards are staying but you could always get a 3rd party keyboard. I have the Apple one for my 10.5 and it's pretty decent imo. I've heard Logitech makes a decent keyboard case. Check those out.

For a price drop or something.... very hard to say. I don't think so, and if there is it will be very small.

For the iOS holding it back argument. I agree. iOS 13 needs to be a jump for the iPad in terms of what it can do.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm going to cave and buy a Zugu case. They're very pricey, but it's the only case I've found that offers me what I want, which is a case that is strong enough for me to prop up my iPad as a drawing surface.

At $70 it's a tough pill to swallow, but I used on on my buddies 12.9", and it's incredibly sturdy. Perfect for desktop drawing / sketching (and has a ton of different angles).

https://www.zugucase.com/the-muse-case-for-ipad-pro-12-9-in-2018/

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Got my 12.9" Space Grey iPad Pro earlier today.

Loving it so far. The display is a thing of beauty to use. The Pencil seems more well balanced and easier to hold. The keyboards magnets are crazy strong so no more falling over easily yey!

One thing I desperately need though is an adapter that lets me listen (headphones) and charge at the same time. I'm surprised there isn't one already; a simple adapter that plugs into the USB-C port and has another one to plug the charge cable into and then a headphone port for wired audio listening.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
still trying to come up with an impression. Been trying to find a decent workflow for getting media onto the iPAD. It won't read external drives. It takes too long to upload large files to the iCloud. This file management thing is a BIG PROBLEM.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
still trying to come up with an impression. Been trying to find a decent workflow for getting media onto the iPAD. It won't read external drives. It takes too long to upload large files to the iCloud. This file management thing is a BIG PROBLEM.
They have to finally address this in iOS 13 if they want people to replace laptops with iPads. It's a joke you can't even mount a hard drive or flashdrive.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
At work we use a cloud service called box.com. it's used to share assets between designers and producers. Seems to work pretty well with the iPad. Obviously I don't really have the apps to use the Adobe files that we utilise but I can work on PDFs and images.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
12.9's "biggness" is something Ill need to adjust to. It doesnt help that the Apple folio feels real shitty. It has sharp edges and a somewhat slippery texture on the back, the one positive thing I cn say is that its easy to remove. Hopefully some decent third party cases will release soon. I also assumed that apps wouldnt need any updates for the 12.9 but Ive noticed all 3rd party apps have "software" bezels at the top and bottom. I suppose they need explicit support for the rounded corners?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I was just thinking about this. I have some video files on an external Thunderbolt 3 drive I'd love to test out editing on the iPad, but I can't just plug it in (even though the USB-C port will fit). I could upload them to the cloud but it's like 35GB total. I could probably wait until an app like Documents is updated to support external media, assuming that's going to happen.

Seriously a conundrum.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how to turn off the bottom black/white line? My older iPad at the same os version doesn't have and I want to turn it off

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At work we use a cloud service called box.com. it's used to share assets between designers and producers. Seems to work pretty well with the iPad. Obviously I don't really have the apps to use the Adobe files that we utilise but I can work on PDFs and images.
Would take forever if sending large video files. Apple really needs to open up file management if they want to be a serious work tool.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Would take forever if sending large video files. Apple really needs to open up file management if they want to be a serious work tool.

For sure, but seeing that I don't have to edit 4k video I'm good for now. Would be good to see apple open up the file system or at least allow external drives to work as scratch disks.

Also surprised to see you here seeing your aggressive dislike of the ipad. :P