• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I mostly love my Zugu case but the pencil doesn't charge properly though it. If I attach it overnight the pencil will only charge to like 12-13% and my iPad battery will be drained to half. Doesn't happen if I attach it without the case so that's a bit annoying.

You should contact their support. A lot of people had this issue with the first run, and they've since corrected it and as far as I'm aware replaced old units with new ones.

Mine doesn't do this at all.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
i wouldn't worry too much about it, Apple products hold their resale value very well if you want to upgrade

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
honestly the current and even the last generation pros are fast enough and high enough quality that they would have to pull out all the stops for an upgrade to worth it to me. A second Usb-c port would be cool though

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
where is a prime day deal for ipad pro 11" for $500. where is it.

some decent offers on Amazon UK. I'd just bought a 12.9 64GB for £896 and they have the 256GB for £964. Don't think I can return my 64 as I've used it now. I can live with that amount - never used more than 64 of the 256 previous model I had, but now with updates to ipadOS maybe I'd use it more for photography than I do now (way too clunky at the moment)

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
sigh

cracked the screen last night of my 2nd gen 12.9 iPad Pro ;__;

I bought it open box last year so wasn't able to get apple care - evidently it's going to be $800 to fix it, which is exactly the price of just buying another one >__>

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
sigh

cracked the screen last night of my 2nd gen 12.9 iPad Pro ;__;

I bought it open box last year so wasn't able to get apple care - evidently it's going to be $800 to fix it, which is exactly the price of just buying another one >__>

Oh man...that's brutal. $800 to fix the screen seems pretty insane though. Is that through Apple or a third party repair shop?

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
😓😓😓 I'm sorry, that really sucks.
ah for sure, thank you. definitely my fault though lol
tried to prop it up to watch something by standing the iPad up on a table, leaning the back against a wall, but it slipped through the crack between the table and the wall and the corner hit the ground
Oh man...that's brutal. $800 to fix the screen seems pretty insane though. Is that through Apple or a third party repair shop?
Apple never repairs just the screens on iPads. They replace the entire thing
Yeah that's the Apple pricing - $749 CAD +taxes

I figured I would just get a refurbished unit but at that price maybe I'll just wait and save for a new model and sell this one on eBay for parts.

Thing is still working great to be honest and the pencil doesn't appear to be limited in function but I can't help but wince looking at it. Just got a Brydge keyboard for it recently too, was hoping to gift the whole thing to my dad 😓 I'll try and hit a repair shop on my lunch break 🙏🏽

edit: had a repair shop quote a $485 repair bill which is more digestible, if solely because I have the Apple price to compare it to lol. Will check the iRepair shop when the open tomorrow too.

Last edited:

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Returning my iPad Air 3 to the store tomorrow and going to order an iPad Pro 11 from Apple EDU. I just didn't feel like the Air was worth 500 bucks. Timing is good because I think Apple throws in a pair of Beats Solo 3s.

Can anyone recommend a good thin case for the 11 from Amazon? Not looking to pay more than 20. I won't be leaving the house with it, so I dont need maximum protection. Just need to cover the screen and the back to protect from scratches.

Oct 29, 2017
Returning my iPad Air 3 to the store tomorrow and going to order an iPad Pro 11 from Apple EDU. I just didn't feel like the Air was worth 500 bucks. Timing is good because I think Apple throws in a pair of Beats Solo 3s.

Can anyone recommend a good thin case for the 11 from Amazon? Not looking to pay more than 20. I won't be leaving the house with it, so I dont need maximum protection. Just need to cover the screen and the back to protect from scratches.

Smart Cover for the front and a skin for the back. That's the combination I have and it's so much better than having a case on and adding unnecessary weight.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I got an ESR case for my 12.9. It's fine. Slightly rough inside texture but a decent price (like not £100 wtf Apple)

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
has anyone had the brightness on their iPad randomly go down? It almost seems like auto-brightness but I definitely have that off. I also have True Tone off.

is there some other reason it would be doing this? I thought maybe it was happening yesterday as I was outside and the ambient light wasn't exactly consistent, so i thought maybe it was some glitch where auto-brightness was still triggering. But then last night I was in my office and I had one desk lamp on and was sitting perfectly still using my iPad and it did it again.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
has anyone had the brightness on their iPad randomly go down? It almost seems like auto-brightness but I definitely have that off. I also have True Tone off.

is there some other reason it would be doing this? I thought maybe it was happening yesterday as I was outside and the ambient light wasn't exactly consistent, so i thought maybe it was some glitch where auto-brightness was still triggering. But then last night I was in my office and I had one desk lamp on and was sitting perfectly still using my iPad and it did it again.
I've encountered this on both iPhone and iPad a few times, seems like a bug. I do have auto brightness but it's definitely a separate issue as it occurs immediately while auto brightness is a gradual shift, and the brightness becomes capped even if I manually raise it.

Especially annoying when it happens in the middle of photo editing. Completely screws my progress.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I've encountered this on both iPhone and iPad a few times, seems like a bug. I do have auto brightness but it's definitely a separate issue as it occurs immediately while auto brightness is a gradual shift, and the brightness becomes capped even if I manually raise it.

Especially annoying when it happens in the middle of photo editing. Completely screws my progress.

Yea I was gonna say, even though I don't have auto-brightness enabled, I was pretty sure it did a gradual fade while this is a hard cut. To my eye it looks like it's going down ~20% or so.

I'm almost always using my iPad at 100% brightness and when this happens, I check in the Control Center thing and it's still maxed out on the brightness slider. It's especially annoying when you are outdoors and need that max brightness but it does this.

I'm not on the beta... hopefully this is fixed in iPadOS.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've got the OG iPad Pro. I think I'll wait til next year to upgrade, and may also be getting the new iMac and iPhone assuming those all refresh around the same time. Gonna be an expensive day.

centracore

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning on replacing my 13" MacBook Pro with an iPad Pro as I already own a desktop gaming PC and a laptop is starting to seem like overkill for my second device but I can't decide between 11" or 12.9". I've handled them both in store numerous times and can't decide. I've read this thread in it's entirety and can't decide. Any advice?

edit: Main uses will be web browsing, media consumption, and light work (answering emails, etc) for home and on the go. I'm planning on getting the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard Folio along with it.

Last edited:

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm planning on replacing my 13" MacBook Pro with an iPad Pro as I already own a desktop gaming PC and a laptop is starting to seem like overkill for my second device but I can't decide between 11" or 12.9". I've handled them both in store numerous times and can't decide. I've read this thread in it's entirety and can't decide. Any advice?

edit: Main uses will be web browsing, media consumption, and light work (answering emails, etc) for home and on the go. I'm planning on getting the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard Folio along with it.

11" for sure if your main purpose isn't long work involving the Apple Pencil (ie design or art).

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

In a similar configuration and usage, I went for the 11, because I really like how lightweight it is, having essentially the same footprint as a classic iPad. This is going to feel noticeably smaller and lighter than your MBP, though.

I don't know that you can go wrong either way tbh.

Then you'll get to move on to the next step of the proud new iPad Pro owner course: whether to install the iPadOS beta or not. I'm sitting it out so far, I favor a glitchless experience too much.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I will always be the one to stan for the 12.9" iPad Pro. Especially if your use is going to be your main portable computer. You're already used to a 13" screen size, just keep that ball rolling. I would say only get the 11" if it's going to be spending a significant amount of time out of the keyboard and being used purely as a tablet, or if you were a huge fan of the 11" MacBook Air when that was a thing.

With FaceID the size of the 12.9" iPad Pro isn't overwhelmingly huge.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

Can anyone elaborate on this comparison between the Air and the Pro? On paper the difference doesn't look that big given the price difference and some reviews pretty much says that. Why exactly is Air not worth 500 and the Pro worth it at 800? I'm also look at the back to school scheme as this is my last chance to use the education store. Otherwise I might just wait until the next time I'm in HK, since that is cheese still than education prices.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Can anyone elaborate on this comparison between the Air and the Pro? On paper the difference doesn't look that big given the price difference and some reviews pretty much says that. Why exactly is Air not worth 500 and the Pro worth it at 800? I'm also look at the back to school scheme as this is my last chance to use the education store. Otherwise I might just wait until the next time I'm in HK, since that is cheese still than education prices.
The Air is 500 yet lacks speakers on both sides of the device. 3 gigs of ram rather than 4. Only uses Apple Pencil 1. And most importantly to me, it doesn't support 120Hz refresh rate.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Hyper Light Drifter is out today in some regions. Price is damn cheap and it has 120fps and controller support.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

tsumineko

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just here to say I absolutely love my iPad Pro 11inch. The thing is the best portable computer I've ever owned. iPadOS completely changes the game and makes the thing not only easy but so much fun to use. Add a nice mouse, the Smart Keyboard case, a game controller and the pencil and it's just a machine complete with everything you could possibly need. I am so happy I bought this thing, and anyone sitting on the fence should just jump in, it's replaced all my laptops.