• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks. I'll assume this is busted then. Kinda helps as its bright blue so I can look for a portable combo keyboard/mouse. Does the magic mouse work? Apple say it doesn't in settings but I have one at work I barely use as I like the MBP trackpad more
Not over Bluetooth, but I guess some people make it work. Either way, since officially you have to plug it in and the plug is in the place it's in, it's unusable.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. I'll assume this is busted then. Kinda helps as its bright blue so I can look for a portable combo keyboard/mouse. Does the magic mouse work? Apple say it doesn't in settings but I have one at work I barely use as I like the MBP trackpad more

you can make it work over Bluetooth in the current beta by adding it as a device in switch control, but expect that to break in a future beta

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Having a dark mode toggle is nice. They need to add moelre stuff to the control centre honestly, right now I don't even need 90% of the things they let you add.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last night a row of pixels got like stuck in a brown colour on my iPad Pro 11. It only lasted about 2-3 minutes but it persisted over a restart then disappeared. 👀

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Got an 11 w/ Smart Keyboard Case for $600 on craigslist. Very happy. The differences from my 10.5 are subtle yet very significant. If anyone is looking for a good deal on a 10.5 + keyboard, PM me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Can you do audio capture and editing in an iPad over USB? I have a little USB cassette player/Walkman thing that I keep meaning to start digitising my wife's cassette collection but I never get around to it on the PC.

It might be more of a pc task so I can background it, but curious if it's pissibke on iPad - eg record over a usb-a to usb-c adapter, separate the tracks, bit of cleanup like audacity might do

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Can you do audio capture and editing in an iPad over USB? I have a little USB cassette player/Walkman thing that I keep meaning to start digitising my wife's cassette collection but I never get around to it on the PC.

It might be more of a pc task so I can background it, but curious if it's pissibke on iPad - eg record over a usb-a to usb-c adapter, separate the tracks, bit of cleanup like audacity might do

Recording it should be no problem. I think you could just use GarageBand for that. Cleanup I wouldn't know about. I'm sure there are more advanced apps that do recording and denoizing.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
hope this is the right thread - i have a 2019 Air, not a Pro:

Just got an iPad Air on sale at Best Buy a few weeks back and it has been great until just now.

Out of nowhere, I noticed a big light bleed spot on the bottom lefthand corner. It's noticeable on dark screens / watching movies so I think I would have noticed if it was there from day 1.

I was planning on exchanging it but wanted to know if this was a common issue / anyone else experience it. If it's common, I may just return it and wait for a newer model (though I will be sad without a proper comics device for a while).

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
hope this is the right thread - i have a 2019 Air, not a Pro:

Just got an iPad Air on sale at Best Buy a few weeks back and it has been great until just now.

Out of nowhere, I noticed a big light bleed spot on the bottom lefthand corner. It's noticeable on dark screens / watching movies so I think I would have noticed if it was there from day 1.

I was planning on exchanging it but wanted to know if this was a common issue / anyone else experience it. If it's common, I may just return it and wait for a newer model (though I will be sad without a proper comics device for a while).
If you have to exchange or wait for new model, it won't be that long. Should be new models hitting in October, which means more price reductions on current ones too.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If you have to exchange or wait for new model, it won't be that long. Should be new models hitting in October, which means more price reductions on current ones too.

Are we expecting any big changes for 2019 iPad Pros? OR same casing w/ slightly updated internals?

EDIT: i've also spent hours configuring Chunky and adding comics and organizing them. if i back up the iPad, return it, wait for the new iPad Pros and recover it - will that work?

or will it get all fucked up because the new iPad Pro will come with a new OS?

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Are we expecting any big changes for 2019 iPad Pros? OR same casing w/ slightly updated internals?

EDIT: i've also spent hours configuring Chunky and adding comics and organizing them. if i back up the iPad, return it, wait for the new iPad Pros and recover it - will that work?

Supposedly new internals and new camera. But who knows.

And the backup should work.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
if you're thinking to replace with an air - not a pro - I wouldn't expect those to be updated..

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not an avid comic reader but have a bit of stuff in Chunky and it carried over no problem from my iPad 10,5 to the 12,9 and is still present in iOS 13 beta. iPadOS is still iOS, there aren't really any compatibility issues. Just make sure chunky is part of your iPad backup and iCloud backup and there's nothing that can go wrong, really.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
it would be for a Pro

i owned 2018 11" for a few days at launch but it was total overkill for a comic book reader

probably still is

Realistically I only use my 2018 12.9 for web browsing and as a second TV (who am I kidding, with my children on my consoles all the time its my main TV). Nothing 'pro' but I use it so often it is earning its keep.

I have just tried Bluetooth keyboard + mouse + USB-C dock to my PC monitor. Thats a pretty nice combo but would be even better if iPad let me drive it at native resolution and gave me a proper mouse cursor. Thinking about how much power is in an iphone these days you coudl probably pull off a Dex style docking set up pretty well.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
The new Air appears to have the same flashlighting issue the 10.5 Pros had. I would avoid them. If it's near the home button, yours is most likely the same issue.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyplace rent iPads? I'm tempted to get a 12 inch, but that's quite a commitment.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
There is no kill like overkill though.
I'm not an avid comic reader but have a bit of stuff in Chunky and it carried over no problem from my iPad 10,5 to the 12,9 and is still present in iOS 13 beta. iPadOS is still iOS, there aren't really any compatibility issues. Just make sure chunky is part of your iPad backup and iCloud backup and there's nothing that can go wrong, really.
yup, flipping through the pages at 120fps is heavenly
Realistically I only use my 2018 12.9 for web browsing and as a second TV (who am I kidding, with my children on my consoles all the time its my main TV). Nothing 'pro' but I use it so often it is earning its keep.

I have just tried Bluetooth keyboard + mouse + USB-C dock to my PC monitor. Thats a pretty nice combo but would be even better if iPad let me drive it at native resolution and gave me a proper mouse cursor. Thinking about how much power is in an iphone these days you coudl probably pull off a Dex style docking set up pretty well.
The new Air appears to have the same flashlighting issue the 10.5 Pros had. I would avoid them. If it's near the home button, yours is most likely the same issue.

Thanks, everyone. It is near the home button, so it's probably the same issue.

I've got to decide tonight if I want to be comics-less for a while until I can justify a Pro or settle for the Air and roll the dice on an exchange for one without light bleed.

Edit: when can we expect to see price drops on 2018 Pros? How easy is it to get an old model that isn't a refurb?

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyplace rent iPads? I'm tempted to get a 12 inch, but that's quite a commitment.

I have a 12 inch og iPad Pro which I can never upgrade because headphone jack is essential for my (pro) job. I can't edit or approve material with Bluetooth quality or lag so I'm stuck with what I otherwise consider my favorite writing and edit approval device (use big 4k screen with hdr for final reviews) ever and it's never let me down. I'm hoping the new OS will stretch its utility for a couple more years. And I absolutely love the smart keyboard cover. Favorite type feel ever.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I forgot about the year of being able to use my Nokia Windows Phone as a proper pc with wireless display. That was a fantastic little perk I used a lot for travel. I even carried a widi display adapter for hotel tvs.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 12 inch og iPad Pro which I can never upgrade because headphone jack is essential for my (pro) job. I can't edit or approve material with Bluetooth quality or lag so I'm stuck with what I otherwise consider my favorite writing and edit approval device (use big 4k screen with hdr for final reviews) ever and it's never let me down. I'm hoping the new OS will stretch its utility for a couple more years. And I absolutely love the smart keyboard cover. Favorite type feel ever.

Doesn't the 2018 with USB-c provide digital out for audio? With a dongle or compatible headphones you should get great quality

Oct 29, 2017
Is it just me who doesn't seem to notice ProMotion/120fps? I've got the 10.5 Pro and I can't say it feels incredibly smooth when scrolling or anything.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
On iPad OS 13 can you choose to see less than 6 apps across? is there an option to go to five across, or back to four across? Or is it six or nothing?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On iPad OS 13 can you choose to see less than 6 apps across? is there an option to go to five across, or back to four across? Or is it six or nothing?

you can revert back to 4x5 (or 5x4 in landscape) in settings

Kk4fORB.png

if you do this, you lose the ability to pin widgets to the left of the home screen in landscape, though.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Sad day, going to be selling my 11in with Smart Folio to a friend. He'll put it to much better use. Question, what's a fair selling price for both of these? I also have the original packaging if that matters at all.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know of a PDF reader that can "dark mode" white pages but not just through inverting the colours? In other words, not invert any images but invert text only?

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
hmm, i'm not sure i totally understand the issue but i don't doubt it. maybe try using the accessibility on screen keyboard within windows and bypass the one in the app? i've been able to type and navigate during my sessions fine but i doubt my usage is similar to yours.
A new update for the Remote Desktop beta just came out last night that adds the feature that was missing: panning while zoomed (and while using the on screen keyboard) in touch mode. Now it's basically perfect, IMO.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

There is no 'best' it depends what your needs are. Eg I'm not a fan of direct contact docks - there is no way to anchor them so they're wobbly or have unofficial clamps which I don't like. Most alternatives have a little tail connecting cable but there are lots out there at reasonable prices. That hyperdrive is 4x the price of cheaper docks and is more specific to pro so less convenient if you want to use with eg a MBP or other computer too

I have a generic (anker?) dock with hdmi, Ethernet, usb, power pass through. I run a usb c extension cable from it to my desk so I can keep it tucked out of sight. It's then connected up to hdmi, power and a usb speaker. That leaves me with a single cable to plug in for neatness (also that's tucked down the side of my desk on a magnetic clip)

That's my combination dock for MBP for work and iPad Pro (and also charges my switch if I need extra juice while in the spare room).

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just got an iPad pro with pencil 2.how can I swipe with the pencil back to the home screen?

you can't. The Pencil is just that, not a general use stylus. Since the screen can tell the difference between the Pencil and your finger, the Pencil can't do system stuff like returning home or opening control center, etc