• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

iPad Pro 11 & 12.9-inch |OT| Now you're playing with power

8byte

Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Jump Desktop is good too. It can automatically adjust your Mac resolution to fit with your iPad which is an absolute game changer for my use case (just text work) which iirc Screens can't. I used Screens during the beta launch window of iOS 13 for a bit but it was super broken back then due to changes on Apples end, so I can't give a fair judgment. Eventually purchased Jump Desktop when it was discounted and have been happy with it, so had no reason to go back to screens. Not sure how either will hold up with your AE workflow though.
Nice! Do you happen to know if Jump Desktop supports, say, a Magic Mouse? The one thing holding me back from screens at the moment is that it doesn't support right click via mouse (and apparently crashes on iPad OS?).

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Do you happen to know if Jump Desktop supports, say, a Magic Mouse? The one thing holding me back from screens at the moment is that it doesn't support right click via mouse (and apparently crashes on iPad OS?).
They only support selected mice https://support.jumpdesktop.com/hc/en-us/articles/216426283 and afaik the iPadOS accessibility mouse pointer API is too limited to be used for that purpose (i.e. no right click). I only use my pencil though, so i unfortunately cant give you any in-depth info regarding mouse support

8byte

Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
They only support selected mice https://support.jumpdesktop.com/hc/en-us/articles/216426283 and afaik the iPadOS accessibility mouse pointer API is too limited to be used for that purpose (i.e. no right click). I only use my pencil though, so i unfortunately cant give you any in-depth info regarding mouse support
Can you right click via the Apple Pencil? I'm just trying to figure out how I can bring up my menus while I'm in my workflow, lol. So long as I can right click somehow, either of this will work for me.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
What are Era’s thoughts on an October event for a refresh? I’m on the fence now after Kuo’s latest predictions—dude is saying we’ll get a refresh early next year? 😕. I’m rocking an Air2 and I think I finally wanna get a Pro (I like the idea of the pencil and bigger screen).

ZeroX

Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
What are Era’s thoughts on an October event for a refresh? I’m on the fence now after Kuo’s latest predictions—dude is saying we’ll get a refresh early next year? 😕. I’m rocking an Air2 and I think I finally wanna get a Pro (I like the idea of the pencil and bigger screen).
With limited leaks and a new iPad just announced I’m also thinking next year for the next iPad Pro. I’m in the same boat too. Got an Air 2 and really want to upgrade.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
With Catalina/iPadOS, can I just plug my iPad Pro into my Mac Mini and drag and drop files off the iPad and back them up on my Mac?

or does it only work by connecting a hard drive directly to the iPad and using the files app to move files off the iPad?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any hope for an October event. Just gonna wait til March next year.

8byte

Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
With Catalina/iPadOS, can I just plug my iPad Pro into my Mac Mini and drag and drop files off the iPad and back them up on my Mac?

or does it only work by connecting a hard drive directly to the iPad and using the files app to move files off the iPad?
I don't think you can connect it and move files straight away like that, but you can connect a Google Drive, DropBox, or NAS and move files that way (or w/a Hard Drive/Thumb Drive). There's also iCloud, but unless you have a good amount of storage it might not be worth it for ya.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think you can connect it and move files straight away like that, but you can connect a Google Drive, DropBox, or NAS and move files that way (or w/a Hard Drive/Thumb Drive). There's also iCloud, but unless you have a good amount of storage it might not be worth it for ya.
Have you used iPadOS to back up Procreate drawings? That's all I want to do. Just plug in my USB-C hard drive to the iPad and I can copy them and then paste onto the external HD?

8byte

Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Have you used iPadOS to back up Procreate drawings? That's all I want to do. Just plug in my USB-C hard drive to the iPad and I can copy them and then paste onto the external HD?
Yep! Just open Procreate, select all of the files you want to backup, then select share. From there, hit "Save to Files" and your USB drive should be located within that drop menu (provided it is formatted correctly). After that, it's smooth sailing and transferring. You can also use Airdrop if you're doing smaller batches (but if you do too many, I find it usually finds some way to fuck up and stop working).

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had luck with realism with Procreate? Everything I’ve seen has had a stylized look to it so far. Looking into a Pro to get into it but not sure what’s really available app wise to accomplish realism/likeness studies.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Yep! Just open Procreate, select all of the files you want to backup, then select share. From there, hit "Save to Files" and your USB drive should be located within that drop menu (provided it is formatted correctly). After that, it's smooth sailing and transferring. You can also use Airdrop if you're doing smaller batches (but if you do too many, I find it usually finds some way to fuck up and stop working).
ok great. Yea these drawings are using a paper texture that's like 200 MB so each drawing in the end is like ~300 MB, so I'll skip AirDrop and just transfer. Thanks.