• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
new-ipad-pro-2018-models-1220x916.jpg

Lqsxoy9.jpg

fOhYKTq.jpg

AGJn0fF.png

Specs:

FUb4g2T.png

Reviews:

Pricing:

11-inch iPad Pro

• 64GB ($799 - Cellular $949)
  • 256GB ($949 - Cellular $1099)
  • 512GB ($1149 - Cellular $1299)
  • 1TB ($1549 - Cellular $1699)
12.9-inch iPad Pro
  • 64GB ($999 - Cellular $1149)
  • 256GB ($1149 - Cellular $1299)
  • 512GB ($1349- Cellular $1499)
  • 1TB ($1749 - Cellular $1899)

Benchmarks

aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGFwdG9wbWFnLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvdXBsb2Fkcy9wcHJlc3MvNDU3NDEvbHRwX3ZpZGVvX2Fkb2JlX3J1c2hfaXBhZF9wcm9fMTItOV8yMDE4LmpwZw==

aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGFwdG9wbWFnLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvdXBsb2Fkcy9wcHJlc3MvNDU3NDEvbHRwX3Bob3RvX2Fkb2JlX2xpZ2h0cm9vbV9pcGFkX3Byb18xMi05XzIwMTguanBn

7pdJ9eW.png

Last edited:

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As great as the iPad Pro is, (everyone in my work uses a last gen one) it's crazy that they've released such a monster in terms of performance and still use IOS and all the fuckery that involves. Just give it a proper OS!

Oct 26, 2017
So asked this elsewhere but has the screen quality (gamut etc) improved with this model over last year's Pro or is it just the guts and form factor, etc?

I want one...but I can't go in for 64GB. I'd need 256 and that means $949. Yikes.

edit: Best Buy gives $325 trade-in value for my 10.5" 256GB Pro (last year's). I just can't justify the upgrade tax :(

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Canada Post on strike in Toronto today. I won't be getting mine for a couple of days. I look forward to the impressions.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
As great as the iPad Pro is, (everyone in my work uses a last gen one) it's crazy that they've released such a monster in terms of performance and still use IOS and all the fuckery that involves. Just give it a proper OS!

What else could they use? They certainly can't use MacOS on a touch device.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Why not?

Does the Surface not use Windows? Do many of the other tablets not just use Windows?

I have a SB2 and yea Windows is pretty good if you are using tablet + pen. I have no doubt Apple would make a really great experience if they decided to port macOS. That's not what will happen though... they just continue to make iOS more full featured over time.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful device. Still contemplating whether or not I should sell my MBP and get an 11". Would probably fit my style and habits a lot better. Plus it's just new and shiny...

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting the 11 inch 256 GB one and the new Apple Pencil delivered to my house now.

I can't wait! :D

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Why not?

Does the Surface not use Windows? Do many of the other tablets not just use Windows?
Windows tablets use Windows, and the result is unsatisfying for everyone.
Too much legacy stuff on Windows, be it 3rd party software or the OS itself, is not optimized for touchscreen use.
And in their attempt to make newer Windows settings dialogues etc. touch-compatible, Microsoft forced big, space-wasting interfaces on the Desktop users. Let's not even remember Windows 8.

Apple has a chance to make a dedicated, fitting solution. Will they, anytime soon? Who knows. But a stopgap hybrid solution like Microsoft is doing isn't what I'd call the right goal to set.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Slowly coming to my senses and going from 1 TB 12.9" to 11" 1 TB.

May drop to 512, though I like these things to last a long time (still using iPad 3rd Gen) and the extra RAM should come in handy.

EDIT: shit sold out for in store pick up til Dec 7 FML

Oct 27, 2017
My 11.9" just arrived and it's wonderful. I was torn and also ordered a 12.9" because I thought the bigger size might be the best way forward, but this feels considerably larger than I recall the 10.5" being and therefore just right. I'm immediately struck by the design, and I now want an iPhone 5ish iPhone X in the future.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mac isn't touch tho?

I have a SB2 and yea Windows is pretty good if you are using tablet + pen. I have no doubt Apple would make a really great experience if they decided to port macOS. That's not what will happen though... they just continue to make iOS more full featured over time.

Too much legacy stuff on Windows, be it 3rd party software or the OS itself, is not optimized for touchscreen use.
And in their attempt to make newer Windows settings dialogues etc. touch-compatible, Microsoft forced big, space-wasting interfaces on the Desktop users. Let's not even remember Windows 8.

Apple has a chance to make a dedicated, fitting solution. Will they, anytime soon? Who knows. But a stopgap hybrid solution like Microsoft is doing isn't what I'd call the right goal to set.

Well I'd say the absolute worst solution is IOS with next to no changes, like the use. Selling 2,000 dollar tablets aimed at professionals that can't use external hard drives. No proper file management. Can't watch a 4k Youtube video on it because it's a mobile Safari, not the proper one.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

May drop to 512, though I like these things to last a long time (still using iPad 3rd Gen) and the extra RAM should come in handy.

Seeing Nov 30th in my area. Bums me out, but sorta stops me from making an impulse buy. I'll go to my store and play with a display unit before I make a final decision.

Mar 3, 2018
Need advice a im going to buy an iPad Pro next week;

Do I get a 256gb 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.9 with pencil and keyboard refurbished for about $1000 Canadian ($700 usd)

Or the new iPad Pro 11 base storage model which will cost me around $1500 before taxes here in canada, with keyboard and pencil.

My main use will be streaming hbo, Netflix, YouTube, lot of word processing and reading books/comics.

I really want the bigger screen but the new 12.9 is $300 more here which hurts the wallet.

I am just worried that if I get the previous 12.9 model then it won't last me as long.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Seeing Nov 30th in my area. Bums me out, but sorta stops me from making an impulse buy. I'll go to my store and play with a display unit before I make a final decision.

Haha yeah, this is honestly for the best. I'll just go to a store at some point, play with the units and make a more educated purchase

Nov 18, 2017
Even with Apple Pencil, I struggle to see the appeal of a new iPad over a Macbook & Tablet for serious artists.

Running full photoshop (which requires keyboard shortcuts) is always going to be preferable to an iPad running iOS apps... right?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How's backwards compatibility with devices designed for 30-pin/Lightning, such as speaker docks or in-car audio systems?

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is there any chance we get keyboards for the Ipad Pro with the touchbar any time soon that also don't look like cheap dollar store crap? I will be buying the new ipad Pro but don't know if I'll even both with that keyboard.

Also if anyone may know, yall think Black Friday/Cyber Monday will have the Pro on a $50-100 sale or should I just buy it this week?

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Mine arrived an hr or so ago. It's a beautiful device and the screen is stunning compared to my AIR 2. But yeah, it's still an iPad.

Undecided if I'm keeping it, I could pick up a 10.5 for around £300 less.

Avalt

Nov 3, 2017
Yes!! its available in store today for pickup. Glad I didn't pre-order lol

I'm getting the 12.9 64GB Wi-Fi model with the new pencil. $1771.84 with taxes and Applecare+ here in Canada... ouch.

Mar 3, 2018
Yes!! its available in store today for pickup. Glad I didn't pre-order lol

I'm getting the 12.9 64GB Wi-Fi model with the new pencil. $1771.84 with taxes and Applecare+ here in Canada... ouch.

As a Canadian I feel your pain. I need the keyboard as well since I do a lot of typing for work, and it comes to about 2k...shit hurts. I'm a teacher as well and the educator discount is so laughable it's insulting.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm checking out on the Apple store app when it's available for instore pickup and enter my account info is it automatically going to take out the money from my bank account? I'm pretty sure not I just want to make sure.

I'll be at the Apple store we before opening this morning anyway I just don't know if I need to reserve it before it sells out.

Avalt

Nov 3, 2017
If I'm checking out on the Apple store app when it's available for instore pickup and enter my account info is it automatically going to take out the money from my bank account? I'm pretty sure not I just want to make sure.

I'll be at the Apple store we before opening this morning anyway I just don't know if I need to reserve it before it sells out.

The transaction showed up almost immediately on my credit card after checkout.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

where do you live? If I add that config to my bag on Apple.com, it says it won't be delivered until 11/29 but almost every Apple store within 200 miles of me has it available today for pick up.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I def prefer Apple's approach to building up iOS vs tearing down OSX the way MS has done with Windows. The problem is that Apple's progress is just too slow and there's things that feel arbitrarily restrictive. At the least they should create a "pro" fork of iOS that gives people more control over the device.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha yeah, this is honestly for the best. I'll just go to a store at some point, play with the units and make a more educated purchase
Best Buy has them in stock today. I may pull the trigger.

IIRC you made a thread about reading comics on a tablet or possibly about getting into them in general. How is it compared to physical? I've only ever read a couple issues on my old iPhone 6.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Apple has been doing fantastic stuff with their internal processor development, kudos to them and the team behind it. The OS still leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to stuff you want to do but have to deal with the rigid rules Apple implements.

Verge said:
I use Lightroom CC all the time, and I would love to manage and edit all my photos on an iPad Pro, especially since editing with the Apple Pencil is so much fun on this display. But I have no desire to import hundreds of RAW files into my camera roll and iCloud photos account. When I brought this up, Apple very proudly pointed to a new Siri Shortcut from Adobe that imports photos from the camera roll into Lightroom and then automatically deletes them from the camera roll.

I couldn't test that Lightroom Siri Shortcut, since it's not yet available. But I can tell you that macro-based hacks around the limitations of an operating system are not usually included in bold visions of the future of computing, and that Siri Shortcut is a pure hack around the limitations Apple has imposed on the iPad Pro.

Oh, but it gets worse. I shoot photos in JPG+RAW, and the iOS PhotoKit API only allows apps to grab one or the other from the camera roll. So I could only import my RAW images into Lightroom, leaving the JPGs behind to clutter up my camera roll and iCloud storage. That's untenable, so I just gave up and imported everything directly into Lightroom using my Mac, because my Mac doesn't insist on abstracting the filesystem away into nonsense.

This little Lightroom vignette is basically the story of the iPad Pro: either you have to understand the limitations of iOS so well you can make use of these little hacks all over the place to get things done, or you just deal with it and accept that you have to go back to a real computer from time to time because it's just easier. And in that case, you might as well just use a real computer.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Best Buy Canada hasn't been showing any in store stock. I might just grab one in store and return the one I bought online. I will call closer to open.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
where do you live? If I add that config to my bag on Apple.com, it says it won't be delivered until 11/29 but almost every Apple store within 200 miles of me has it available today for pick up.

I think it was still updating the site - I see them now available.

11" 1 TB was too pretty to pass up! Picking it up after work.

Best Buy has them in stock today. I may pull the trigger.

IIRC you made a thread about reading comics on a tablet or possibly about getting into them in general. How is it compared to physical? I've only ever read a couple issues on my old iPhone 6.

I have read maybe 1,000 comics on my iPad 3 Cellular. I love it - they pop on the Retina screen. I also love being able to carry like the entire Johns GL run + all of Sandman with me on the subway. The convenience is too good. I also live in NYC and space for books is tight.

I did find two issues with the old iPad: it was heavy and the screen was a touch small. I think the 11" should solve both of these.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't know why you would need 1TB unless you do very heavy video edit work.

I'm a freelance photographer and have yet to fill up my 1 TB drive on my Surface Book after a year...

I might sell the SB and get a iPad + Mac combo. If I do that, I'm not sure what size internal storage I'll go for on the iPad. I'll mainly be using it for illustration (hobby) and editing photos with Lightroom Cloud so I think I could get away with the 64 GB model.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was still updating the site - I see them now available.

11" 1 TB was too pretty to pass up! Picking it up after work.

I have read maybe 1,000 comics on my iPad 3 Cellular. I love it - they pop on the Retina screen. I also love being able to carry like the entire Johns GL run + all of Sandman with me on the subway. The convenience is too good. I also live in NYC and space for books is tight.

I did find two issues with the old iPad: it was heavy and the screen was a touch small. I think the 11" should solve both of these.
Saving space is a huge concern for me. My new place will more than likely be a studio apartment, so I'd rather not have shelves + books taking up valuable space.

I agree with you on the 11" being a good option. With the new bezels, I think it's perfect.

DTJAAAAM

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Canceled my 512GB pre-order after some re-evaluation of my storage needs, so planning on picking up the 256GB version today along with the keyboard folio. Hoping Best Buy will have an extra pencil available too since I couldn't select it for store pickup.