• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm just here to say I absolutely love my iPad Pro 11inch. The thing is the best portable computer I've ever owned. iPadOS completely changes the game and makes the thing not only easy but so much fun to use. Add a nice mouse, the Smart Keyboard case, a game controller and the pencil and it's just a machine complete with everything you could possibly need. I am so happy I bought this thing, and anyone sitting on the fence should just jump in, it's replaced all my laptops.

I'm really excited to dive into iPadOS, but since my iPad is my daily driver and I rely on it for a lot of work, I can't really risk jumping into the beta. Already bought a few games just waiting to sync up my DS4.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
iPadOS makes me want to finally get a keyboard but every keyboard case I've used has felt like shit and added so much bulk

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
iPadOS makes me want to finally get a keyboard but every keyboard case I've used has felt like shit and added so much bulk

I just decided to use my older mini keyboard from my iMac. Fits in my bag pretty easily and I don't have to add size to the case. I honestly don't think I'd ever get a keyboard that was attached to the case / iPad. Just seems kind of silly. Being able to position my screen & keyboard independently is a superior setup, IMO.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just decided to use my older mini keyboard from my iMac. Fits in my bag pretty easily and I don't have to add size to the case. I honestly don't think I'd ever get a keyboard that was attached to the case / iPad. Just seems kind of silly. Being able to position my screen & keyboard independently is a superior setup, IMO.

I wonder if Apple will improve their official keyboard case this year but knowing them it will only be compatible with the 2019 pro models

centracore

Oct 25, 2017
11" for sure if your main purpose isn't long work involving the Apple Pencil (ie design or art).
In a similar configuration and usage, I went for the 11, because I really like how lightweight it is, having essentially the same footprint as a classic iPad. This is going to feel noticeably smaller and lighter than your MBP, though.

I don't know that you can go wrong either way tbh.

Then you'll get to move on to the next step of the proud new iPad Pro owner course: whether to install the iPadOS beta or not. I'm sitting it out so far, I favor a glitchless experience too much.
I will always be the one to stan for the 12.9" iPad Pro. Especially if your use is going to be your main portable computer. You're already used to a 13" screen size, just keep that ball rolling. I would say only get the 11" if it's going to be spending a significant amount of time out of the keyboard and being used purely as a tablet, or if you were a huge fan of the 11" MacBook Air when that was a thing.

With FaceID the size of the 12.9" iPad Pro isn't overwhelmingly huge.
Thanks for the advice everyone (even though it made me even more indecisive)! I got both the 11" and 12.9" to give them a trial run at home and the 12.9" ended up being the clear winner so I returned the 11" today. The main reason I went with the 12.9" was the extra screen real estate in landscape mode and the full size keyboard on the Smart Keyboard Folio - both of those things just felt too cramped on the 11".

I think this might be my favorite tech device I've ever used and will very easily replace a laptop in my setup.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Thanks for the advice everyone (even though it made me even more indecisive)! I got both the 11" and 12.9" to give them a trial run at home and the 12.9" ended up being the clear winner so I returned the 11" today. The main reason I went with the 12.9" was the extra screen real estate in landscape mode and the full size keyboard on the Smart Keyboard Folio - both of those things just felt too cramped on the 11".

I think this might be my favorite tech device I've ever used and will very easily replace a laptop in my setup.

Congrats! It's only going to get better from here with iPadOS on the way.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Pulled the trigger on the base 11 model for 599 today. Hoping it negates my need to upgrade my 2014 MBP. I just don't trust Apples laptops anymore.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Isn't the 11' 64GB model $649? Or is there some way to get it down another $50?
Register as a student (they don't verify or require an edu address). And then in your deals, you'll have a 50 dollar off student bonus. Brought the iPad down to 599.99 for me. There's instructions on slick deals on how to do it.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
The latest beta update has made iPadOS so much better.

Just thinking about iPadOS 2 makes me giddy because they are on such a good path finally with iPad.

The pencil was a game changer for me.

May 30, 2018
so i got an iPad Pro 11 a couple weeks ago when Prime had that sale for 629.

i briefly did the public beta 2 before doing a clean restore with import from a backup to 12. the battery life seems solid for the most part, but sometimes, like today, i'll turn off airplane mode and then an hour later it has lost 10% battery. i have background app refresh turned off and the battery stats section is mostly useless. usually it will say "home and lock screen", today it said facebook messenger used a lot of battery for a chunk of time - but i didn't even open that?

does this happen to anyone else? aside from the random drain it seems like it gets solid screen on time (around 6+ hours streaming HD video). but i also don't know if that's good or not. i just keep being concerned i have a unit with an issue.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What battery/screen on time should I be getting from a 12.9 2018 iPad Pro? Started this morning about 2.5 hrs ago with about 70% battery and now i'm On 6%. Was mostly safari with some youtube. iPad is really hot now and just seems like the battery fell off a cliff

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What battery/screen on time should I be getting from a 12.9 2018 iPad Pro? Started this morning about 2.5 hrs ago with about 70% battery and now i'm On 6%. Was mostly safari with some youtube. iPad is really hot now and just seems like the battery fell off a cliff
Did you reset it during that time? Not sure about iPads but pretty rarely on my iPhone I'll notice that something in the background is draining the battery and won't stop unless I reset the phone or something. I could close all apps to see if that works but usually just reset it anyway.

May 30, 2018

on my 11inch i got something like 6.5ish or a bit more watching saved amazon prime video episodes last week, just about 1% drain every 5 mins. as an update to my post right above yours in case it helps, i uninstalled my fb messenger and google hangouts apps. apparently even when background app refresh is turned off for all apps, some apps (like those) still have the right to get updates, thereby draining the battery. between that and turning off my bluetooth when not using it (pencil can cause drain) my standby has been significantly better

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus on the best keyboard cover?

I might be buying the 11" model tomorrow and I was wondering. I've heard some say Apples cause of the connector. Others said get the logitech despite it being BT cause the keys on the Apple one suck.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

I might be buying the 11" model tomorrow and I was wondering. I've heard some say Apples cause of the connector. Others said get the logitech despite it being BT cause the keys on the Apple one suck.
Both statements are true, neither are correct. The Apple keyboard doesn't type well, doesn't have any function keys, and can't be used on the lap. The Logitech keyboard types better and has the function keys, but also doesn't work great on the lap, and has that horrible huge case around the device that just makes it hard to remove and unnecessarily large. Neither has more than two viewing angles.

The right answer imo is still the Brydge keyboard. Best quality, best looks, great typing experience.

Asking for a consensus is a bit much though, there's no such thing.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London

I bought the Apple keyboard case for my 12.9 because there were no other options at the time and I was kinda dreading it because I was coming off a very good (but bulky) keyboard case for my 9.7.

It was initially weird but I got used to typing on it (I'm a copywriter so I use it hours daily) and now I really enjoy it for how slim and light it is, how easy it is to clean and how easily it flips around for normal tablet use - something the Brydge keyboard loses on.

Downsides are, as others listed, not ideal for lap typing (I rarely do anyway), it's not backlit and it has no function keys.

Typing experience is fine though, and maybe I'm just not fussy but I rarely encounter a keyboard I can't adapt to and use normally after a bit of use.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I'm a logi k380 guy but I don't type too much.

I do love it tho. Grabbed it on sale so price could not be beat

looking over some features added to beta 5 on iPad I'm impressed. I'm starting to get the itch for the full release!

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Apple keyboard case for my 12.9 because there were no other options at the time and I was kinda dreading it because I was coming off a very good (but bulky) keyboard case for my 9.7.

It was initially weird but I got used to typing on it (I'm a copywriter so I use it hours daily) and now I really enjoy it for how slim and light it is, how easy it is to clean and how easily it flips around for normal tablet use - something the Brydge keyboard loses on.

Downsides are, as others listed, not ideal for lap typing (I rarely do anyway), it's not backlit and it has no function keys.

Typing experience is fine though, and maybe I'm just not fussy but I rarely encounter a keyboard I can't adapt to and use normally after a bit of use.

+1

I got the keyboard cover for my 11 and while it's not ideal, I can type on it just fine when I'm on the go. Compared to my MBP with its butterfly keyboard it's honestly not too bad lol

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
My 599 dollar Pro arrived today. I'm in love. I returned the Air 3 for this and couldn't be happier. It offers so much more for that extra 100.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought an 11in 256GB model from Costco and this thing is awesome. Got it from Costco juuuust in case new models are announced September or October. Dat 90 return policy.

Much prefer this size to my old 12.9. May keep that in office for a second screen. Maybe I'll sell it. Dunno.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I bought an 11in 256GB model from Costco and this thing is awesome. Got it from Costco juuuust in case new models are announced September or October. Dat 90 return policy.

Much prefer this size to my old 12.9. May keep that in office for a second screen. Maybe I'll sell it. Dunno.
I got it at Target with a red card. I have until November 23rd to return it. Same reason as you.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017

I did the same thing but I doubt Apple will suddenly do 1 year release cycle for Pro models.

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Im currently extremely enjoying the new controller Support. Hyper light seiftet with the box One controller is so much fun on this device.

with this door open and the current performance of the A1x series of chips those Tablets are gaming beasts.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Im currently extremely enjoying the new controller Support. Hyper light seiftet with the box One controller is so much fun on this device.

with this door open and the current performance of the A1x series of chips those Tablets are gaming beasts.
My wish list is packed with iOS games thanks to proper ass controller support. Remote play's great too.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I just bought hyper light drifter last night and was playing with an Xbox controller. It's so good

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
With the controller support the iPad Pros are low key gaming beasts. Playing HLD in that huge high quality screenbl at 120fps with a controller is quite incredible. The only disappointment is that they didn't change the aspect ratio of the game so it has black bars instead.

I still need to get around to buying San Andreas.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked up my iPad Pro 11" over the weekend and have been messing around with it on the latest iOS 12 release, haven't upgraded to the iPad OS beta yet, and I've been really impressed with how well it handles gaming. I launched Fortnite first because it's easily comparable to PC/PS4/XB1/Switch versions and I had heard they added graphics settings and a 60fps mode...I feel like this seems like it's almost running at base PS4/XB1 levels? It's really impressive. I also have Civ VI installed and I've been pretty impressed with how smooth that runs as well!

Looking forward to getting iPad OS running on it and having true controller support soon!

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm curious if we'll start seeing much bigger gaming experiences on iPad Pro now that DS4 / XBO Controllers are compatible (considering how many people already own them).

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Will the elite controller pair up?

I'd like to get into mobile gaming since I have a Pro and an X but i keep holding off for fear of using them too much I got gaming and not enough for productivity when I already have consoles and a switch.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a list somewhere of best "console quality" games on iPad? Somewhat intrigued with this new controller support though I haven't really played why video games in years.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Ended up getting the Muse case and am returning it today. It's a quality case, just a bit much for me. I hate how the part of the case that holds the pencil moves away from the iPad so easily if you hold the iPad in portrait mode. Not sure what they were thinking with that design decision. Do they think people don't ever hold the iPad like a book? Anyway, my search for a thin case that covers both the top/bottom and sides continues. Next up is Khomo, although I hear I'll need to modify it to support third party USB C cables.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Ended up getting the Muse case and am returning it today. It's a quality case, just a bit much for me. I hate how the part of the case that holds the pencil moves away from the iPad so easily if you hold the iPad in portrait mode. Not sure what they were thinking with that design decision. Do they think people don't ever hold the iPad like a book? Anyway, my search for a thin case that covers both the top/bottom and sides continues. Next up is Khomo, although I hear I'll need to modify it to support third party USB C cables.

Technically the pencil holder on the side is for charging. There's a specific elastic holder in the back for the pencil. You shouldn't leave it "charging" all the time.