• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Man, despite not really using my 11" too much, should I still get a 2012 i7 MBP for $300 usd lol. Has upgraded ram and ssd. Kinda tempted, but this probably boils down to the battery count on it.

yes/no.

I think part of it is due to ipados still not being as good as I want it to be lol.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
this makes sense but I always just leave it on there charging. Guess I need to stop doing that.

Yea, it's good practice to never really charge the pencil to 100% and leave it there. I usually keep mine charged around 40-80 percent. It's not harmful or anything, just ensures you get the most life out of the battery, and since these pencils don't have replaceable batteries...lol

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Yea, it's good practice to never really charge the pencil to 100% and leave it there. I usually keep mine charged around 40-80 percent. It's not harmful or anything, just ensures you get the most life out of the battery, and since these pencils don't have replaceable batteries...lol

yeah even my iPad gets left on the charger a lot. I really need to nail the proper charging techniques. Thanks for the tips friend

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
had my 11inch pro for a while now, i actually use it more for remote desktop for development on my Windows machine, I can't believe the Remote app (as well as the Xbox one) hasnt been updated to support the new screen resolution, a shame too...

though at the same time i work a lot with SQL, and the single and double quote keys on the smart keyboard always register as some special quotation key, have to keep gonig to character map :(

it desperately needs ios13 though... mobile browsing on an 11inch screen and still gettign a phone view is crap

May 30, 2018
had my 11inch pro for a while now, i actually use it more for remote desktop for development on my Windows machine, I can't believe the Remote app (as well as the Xbox one) hasnt been updated to support the new screen resolution, a shame too...

the testflight beta of the new RDS update will fix your issue! i used it all this past couple weeks without issues. honestly still surprised they haven't pushed it as an update to the main channel yet.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

the testflight beta of the new RDS update will fix your issue! i used it all this past couple weeks without issues. honestly still surprised they haven't pushed it as an update to the main channel yet.

The big problem with the RDS beta though is that there's no way to move the view port when zoomed in or when the on screen keyboard is up. I sent feedback to MS about it and they said that it would come before the app exits beta. This was about a month ago and the feature is still missing. It makes the app basically impossible to use w/o a physical keyboard.

May 30, 2018
The big problem with the RDS beta though is that there's no way to move the view port when zoomed in or when the on screen keyboard is up. I sent feedback to MS about it and they said that it would come before the app exits beta. This was about a month ago and the feature is still missing. It makes the app basically impossible to use w/o a physical keyboard.

hmm, i'm not sure i totally understand the issue but i don't doubt it. maybe try using the accessibility on screen keyboard within windows and bypass the one in the app? i've been able to type and navigate during my sessions fine but i doubt my usage is similar to yours.

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom

Looking at it,its been in beta for a while now... I shouldn't feel entitled or anything, but they have updated the core Office 365 apps..

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Returned my 11 inch Pro today. Ultimately just wasn't that amazed by it for the price difference between it and the Air. Touch ID still way more accurate and quick than Face ID. Kept having Face ID recognition failures on the iPad, which is weird since I hardly ever have that issue on my iPhone XR. Mine also came pre-bent, but It wasn't too badly bent, still noticeable out of the case. The real killer for me was it shut itself off 5 times in the week I've owned it.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Returned my 11 inch Pro today. Ultimately just wasn't that amazed by it for the price difference between it and the Air. Touch ID still way more accurate and quick than Face ID. Kept having Face ID recognition failures on the iPad, which is weird since I hardly ever have that issue on my iPhone XR. Mine also came pre-bent, but It wasn't too badly bent, still noticeable out of the case. The real killer for me was it shut itself off 5 times in the week I've owned it.

Sounds like a flawed unit? Still, if you pay that much it shouldn't happen. And if you dno't feel comfortable with the bending problem definitely keep waiting for a future model.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Sounds like a flawed unit? Still, if you pay that much it shouldn't happen. And if you dno't feel comfortable with the bending problem definitely keep waiting for a future model.
Yeah, normally I would have exchanged it, but ultimately it wasn't worth the 300 dollar price difference over the Air 3 to me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Good point. I've seen some people with 10.5 Airs reporting the same issue as well recently though.

but a 10.5 air is more likely to be bought new rather than used and therefore covered by warranty.. i'd Also take the likely 1 year additional cover of iPadOS updates which means potentially longer usable life

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
but a 10.5 air is more likely to be bought new rather than used and therefore covered by warranty.. i'd Also take the likely 1 year additional cover of iPadOS updates which means potentially longer usable life

As mentioned refurb units are available. In my region you can still buy them new as well, just not directly from Apple. In terms of longevity you might get one extra PadOS update but in it is negligible when the Pro has more RAM and a faster GPU. I'd much rather the 120hz screen and quad speakers as well.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
i went to the Apple store today. It's insane, time just disappears as employees help you with anything you care about. I need to go more often.

you guys have sold me on Zugu Case, so I'm going to sell my Otterbox Defender on Kijiji, and a Zugu is ordered!

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

I've been using Fresco since late December, and honestly the improvements they've been making every month have been fantastic. It's still missing some very key features from top competitors like Procreate, but they're all in development and on the way.

Edit: Also worth noting that the author is actually incorrect. You can pass Fresco files to Photoshop or Illustrator by exporting the PSD to your iCloud (or email / dropbox / airdrop / etc) and open those same files in Photoshop or Illustrator. There are plans for a much easier workflow coming, but I can't speak to specifics.

Last edited:

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using Fresco since late December, and honestly the improvements they've been making every month have been fantastic. It's still missing some very key features from top competitors like Procreate, but they're all in development and on the way.

Edit: Also worth noting that the author is actually incorrect. You can pass Fresco files to Photoshop or Illustrator by exporting the PSD to your iCloud (or email / dropbox / airdrop / etc) and open those same files in Photoshop or Illustrator. There are plans for a much easier workflow coming, but I can't speak to specifics.

I recently got into the beta. This app is really good! The speed is incredible considering the stuff it's doing.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I recently got into the beta. This app is really good! The speed is incredible considering the stuff it's doing.

My mind still melts every time I use the water color brush after a new update. It just keeps getting better. It also shatters every other drawing app when it comes to canvas size and layer limits. Wizardry.

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
i know it'd never happen, but i wish i could just log into windows from my USB (C) drive by just plugging it into the iPad, i already bootcamp into it from my macbook, itd be nice to skip the macbook (and my desktop) and work on that directly, a man can dream... i gave the new RM Destkop software a go, definetly better... but its been in beta for so long already...

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
as Soon as you simply use split screen multitasking you feel that need for the bigger iPad. I just get uncomfortable not being fully featured, lol

split screen on the iPad is pretty damn joyous tho, throw PiP on top and it's slick but yeah, I'm going to Have to use my iPad at a desk in office more is all there is to it

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From the beta thread:

I bought that LG 4K Uktrafine monitor to use with my iPad Pro, will report on how useless it is

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom

... ive given the RDP Beta more of a chance, the fact it picks the correct character for quotations alone make it worthwhile, i was sick of having to keep character map on the start menu. Thanks for pointing it out on TestFlight!

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I have now used the LG Ultrafine 4K monitor along with a bluetooth keyboard (the Brydge, which still works when undocked of course) and a trackpad (Magic Trackpad 2, which still works over bluetooth despite Apple claiming it doesn't) and it's honestly.... pretty great. Despite the letterboxing, the extra screen real estate when at a desk is tight, using the monitor as a docking station (one cable for video/power, three USB-C downstream ports) is tight, and the integration with the iPad is tight. It's absolutely more cumbersome than a Macbook, but it works and that's kind of all I care about. Will be great once the semester starts up and I can have this screen for homework, plus stuff like Garageband with my MIDI keyboard hooked up.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Okay, I have now used the LG Ultrafine 4K monitor along with a bluetooth keyboard (the Brydge, which still works when undocked of course) and a trackpad (Magic Trackpad 2, which still works over bluetooth despite Apple claiming it doesn't) and it's honestly.... pretty great. Despite the letterboxing, the extra screen real estate when at a desk is tight, using the monitor as a docking station (one cable for video/power, three USB-C downstream ports) is tight, and the integration with the iPad is tight. It's absolutely more cumbersome than a Macbook, but it works and that's kind of all I care about. Will be great once the semester starts up and I can have this screen for homework, plus stuff like Garageband with my MIDI keyboard hooked up.

I could never get the Magic Trackpad paired, but tbh, I much prefer a mouse anyways. So I got a small Microsoft BT mouse hooked up to it. Now that you can make the pointer nice and small it's much better. Still would have preferred a traditional pointer instead of the disc, but whatcha gonna do?

Also, no way to change the mouse wheel scroll direction to "unnatural", which is yikes.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I installed the iPadOS beta on my new Mini yesterday, and man I just love it. Yeah I know this isn't the thread for Minis but it made me smile. Dark mode makes me very much want an OLED iPad, even though it would cost like a second mortgage lol. Hopefully soon!

Loving the new mini btw. Perfect for carrying around the hospital when I'm up and about, snappy speeds and love the Pencil compatibility. Ok I'll leave now :)

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could never get the Magic Trackpad paired, but tbh, I much prefer a mouse anyways. So I got a small Microsoft BT mouse hooked up to it. Now that you can make the pointer nice and small it's much better. Still would have preferred a traditional pointer instead of the disc, but whatcha gonna do?

Also, no way to change the mouse wheel scroll direction to "unnatural", which is yikes.

Scrolling doesn't even work on the trackpad since it doesn't recognize two finger gestures, you have to click and scroll like you're using your finger. You get used to it but it's weird.

Also I switched to using my keyboard and trackpad in wired mode, since when I undock from the setup I want them immediately disconnected, I don't want to have to go to the Bluetooth menu or turn them off or anything like that

I installed the iPadOS beta on my new Mini yesterday, and man I just love it. Yeah I know this isn't the thread for Minis but it made me smile. Dark mode makes me very much want an OLED iPad, even though it would cost like a second mortgage lol. Hopefully soon!

Loving the new mini btw. Perfect for carrying around the hospital when I'm up and about, snappy speeds and love the Pencil compatibility. Ok I'll leave now :)

Just go to the iOS 13 beta thread and be happy there along with everyone else!

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Scrolling doesn't even work on the trackpad since it doesn't recognize two finger gestures, you have to click and scroll like you're using your finger. You get used to it but it's weird.
Yeah, that bothered me too, along with the lack of second and third button customization. Now I can right click to op up the dock and middle click to go home. Definitely the better option.

The only annoying thing that remains is the assistive touch button popping up on the screen when the mouse is disconnected, wish you could disable that.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that bothered me too, along with the lack of second and third button customization. Now I can right click to op up the dock and middle click to go home. Definitely the better option.

The only annoying thing that remains is the assistive touch button popping up on the screen when the mouse is disconnected, wish you could disable that.

Same, but I have assistivetouch set to both the side button (three presses to enable or disable) and I created a Dock/Undock shortcut that lives in the dock that all it does it toggle it on or off. So when I dock the iPad I press the icon and it's on, and I press it again right before undocking

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Same, but I have assistivetouch set to both the side button (three presses to enable or disable) and I created a Dock/Undock shortcut that lives in the dock that all it does it toggle it on or off. So when I dock the iPad I press the icon and it's on, and I press it again right before undocking
Ah. That's smart, thanks.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You can make the pointer small now? When did they add that? Might pick up a Bluetooth keyboard. More likely use case for me is the iPad 12.9 as a second monitor with my MBP 13" (so a good match) when out and about and needing more space, but i'm curious how usable the iPad is with mouse and keyboard. Will it connect with regular TVs/monitors via HDMI?

chances on a 2020 Smart Keyboard with trackpad? I'd love that

Zeyphersan share your shortcut?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
You can make the pointer small now? When did they add that?

Latest dev beta afaik.

image.png

That's the smallest size now.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hm, did they remove the ability to share shortcuts in the latest beta? I can't find it. Anyway it's literally one action, you make a home screen icon and stick it wherever you want (or put it in the widget, or both!)

Xr2h6hJ.png

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France

Same here, iPas OS on mini makes it even better. What a nice little iPad, perfect to read ebooks and take notes/highlights with the pencil. Mangas are superb on it. Pixelmator Photo is incredibly fast on it. No Oled but highest pixel density, even Nerflix is a pleasure on iPad Mini. Love it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so mouse is pretty fantastic. does the scroll wheel work properly for scrolling? I'm using an old ms 3600 BT mouse and the scroll wheel is just jiggling the screen up and down. Might be a doggy mouse but want to check before I buy a new one. connecting to a monitor with the same usb-c to HDMI adapter that I use on my work MacBook Pro is pretty great too.

will have to get a BT keyboard now

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Ok so mouse is pretty fantastic. does the scroll wheel work properly for scrolling? I'm using an old ms 3600 BT mouse and the scroll wheel is just jiggling the screen up and down. Might be a doggy mouse but want to check before I buy a new one. connecting to a monitor with the same usb-c to HDMI adapter that I use on my work MacBook Pro is pretty great too.

will have to get a BT keyboard now
Using the same mouse, can confirm scrolling works fine (aside from the "natural" direction).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Using the same mouse, can confirm scrolling works fine (aside from the "natural" direction).

Thanks. I'll assume this is busted then. Kinda helps as its bright blue so I can look for a portable combo keyboard/mouse. Does the magic mouse work? Apple say it doesn't in settings but I have one at work I barely use as I like the MBP trackpad more