• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

minato

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyplace rent iPads? I'm tempted to get a 12 inch, but that's quite a commitment.
Go to Best Buy and get an open box iPad. It's already used so you can return it with no questions asked. Also if you do want to keep it in my experience open box items specially the excellent quality ones look completely new. Also the one's listed as satisfactory have screens that are free of any blemishes it may have a scratch somewhere on the back or front but the screen will look good.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
ok you're right makes sense.

now i just need a smart cover the folio from apple is way too expensive and amazon reviews say they are bad quality
My white one has been pretty bad, the leather is curling on the edges and discoloring and it's only been like 2 months and it's never been wet or dropped. I'd recommend buying a middle of the road equivalent from amazon for like $30 so at least if it goes bad the same way you can get another or 2 rather then spending $80 on the official one like I did.

Oct 25, 2017
Couple questions as I'm pretty convinced I can move to a Pro (been using an Air 2 for two months now w/ no keyboard)

Is the Brydge worth it? Review are al over the place but I'm looking to use my Pro more like a laptop than a propped stand.

Is it worth the one month wait? Deals have been crazy on the 11 but it's been a year since release in October

Does anyone do any light development work on theirs? I still occasionally need to brush up on some JS stuff so being able to use some form of IDE like Diet Coda or even an online one would be nice.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Checked the german site, they have them too

pkGChbl.png

749 refurb from apple vs. 799 new on Amazon 🤔

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
749 refurb from apple vs. 799 new on Amazon 🤔

I used to think their refurbishment prices were fairly reasonable back in the iPod/MacBook days, but nowadays their prices are a bit of a con in all honesty — always $50-80 away from new product prices...

I'm just popping into this thread to ask if we're likely to see a refresh on the 11" iPad Pro this year?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I used to think their refurbishment prices were fairly reasonable back in the iPod/MacBook days, but nowadays their prices are a bit of a con in all honesty — always $50-80 away from new product prices...

I'm just popping into this thread to ask if we're likely to see a refresh on the 11" iPad Pro this year?
While I agree because I'm poor, if they do have a new body and new battery and come with a 1 year warranty the same as a new one would, I guess there's only so much of a discount they could apply. I wonder what the cause of most refurbs is then. Maybe the bent iPads since the cases are new?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd jump on on if it has a good discount but bear in mind if a replacement is announced (even just a spec bump), then the older one will naturally be discounted to clear anyway

Current model is so powerful it's a good buy at the right price

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Refurbs are usually a good buy, but honestly if you have a Best Buy around just monitor there. They have had some really good Pro sales off and on for the last six months.

Oct 25, 2017
Refurbs are still ok for laptops but the deals on the iPad pros of late have been far better. There was one last week to get a 64GB for 650

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those iPad Pro refurb prices are going to drop to a more reasonable level once the next-gen Pros are announced within the next month or so.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
No but it adds a gap between the pencil and the screen that will make it feel like a regular non pro iPad.
possibly. some of them cause wobbly lines, just google tempered glass iPad Pro 2018 Apple Pencil and you'll see lots of reports.

I bought a tempered glass protector from Best Buy last night and I haven't noticed any issues/delays with the pencil. I'm not using the pencil for heavy drawing, mind you, just occasional note-taking.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would expect next month. Would make sense to have a second event for iPad Pro, Mac Pro, and possibly that new MacBook Pro that's been rumored.
Cool. I got to try the 2018 Pros this weekend and the reduced latency of the pencil is so satisfying I wanted to run out and buy one to replace my old Pro. Holding off though. :P

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
They updated existing models with new CPUs, but there's been rumors of a new 16" design to replace the 15" at the top-end along with a move back to a scissor-switch keyboard.

Holy hell if this is true. Looks like I'll be holding off. 🤞🏿🤞🏿🤞🏿

Not really interested in the iPad Pro and am more than satisfied with the base iPad so I'm not holding off on that, day 1 on that 2019 iPad.

Edit: wait this new iPad is still using the same chip set?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Oh are new pros expected next month? Was considering finally buying an 11" pro since Amazon was offering a 5 month payment option but it's also listed as not being restocked for another 1-2 months lol.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Yup. I know you said you don't want a Pro, but I'd still wait a month to see what the value of the next small screen Pro is.

Pros are great devices but I feel like they are overkill spec wise. The base iPads are still great for art. If they do make a smaller Pro with the value to justify it I might reconsider.

Oct 27, 2017
HI. I am trying to AirDrop some photos from my Mac to my iPad.

It is asking me choose a location. When I hit "On My Ipad" it lists a few folders (Garage Band, Keynote, Numbers, Pages, Slack). I tried putting the folder of photos in a few of these places, but the pics don;t show up in the Photos app.

I tried to move them via the Files app, but I am running in to the same problem.

Lil help? Or is the answer really "Just use iTunes"

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
HI. I am trying to AirDrop some photos from my Mac to my iPad.

It is asking me choose a location. When I hit "On My Ipad" it lists a few folders (Garage Band, Keynote, Numbers, Pages, Slack). I tried putting the folder of photos in a few of these places, but the pics don;t show up in the Photos app.

I tried to move them via the Files app, but I am running in to the same problem.

Lil help? Or is the answer really "Just use iTunes"

Save them wherever you want in the Files app, then you should be able to "share" those from Files into Photos.

Photos is its own library so you have to save things specifically to it to get them to show up in the app

signal

Oct 28, 2017
InF1255.png

It's funny that the only model I wanted is suddenly out of stock for 1-3 months (!!) at the same time I was considering buying it because for some reason Amazon was showing me an option for a 5 month payment plan that is now gone / is not on any other models 🤔

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
posted this in the apple ot but i figure i'll post it here as well since it's ipad centric

Anyone gone from the 12.9" iPad Pro to the 11"?

I have the 2017 12" model and I'm considering dropping down a screen size. I use the iPad to make art, and while I originally bought the larger one for more screen real estate. i find that the form factor of the 11" id more comfortable and convenient to set up. I like being able to hold it in 1 hand easily, and the sketch book sizes i tend to gravitate towards are more the size of the 11" ipad than the 12.9" ipad.

that being said, i don't have a laptop so the ipad is basically my mobile computer. I don't tend to do anything hardcore on it, mostly just emails, videos and browsing aside from the art, maybe some writing if i need to, but I am concerned about the smaller screen for multitasking in the long run. I went to the apple store today and played around with the 11" and the 12", and I didn't really seem to mind the smaller screen, but that was just like 20 minutes of playing around, not sure how long term i would feel.

So if anyone has any thoughts on the 11" and 12" ipad id be interested in hearing them.

Also wondering, how much do you guys think I could get for my 2017 iPad pro with the pencil and a smart cover? I feel like I could sell it for more than Apple offers in trade in credit. The iPad is in good condition, the pencil is a bit beat up. Smart Cover is in moderate condition. Not planning on buying a new one until the next update comes out though.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Looking for some recommendations on remote desktop software for macOS to iPadOS. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'll be away from the home office tonight and Saturday but have some projects I need to work on. Any advice?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Chrome Remote Desktop.

I'll check this out! I've also been reading that the Screens app is pretty good? Downside is it comes with a $20 price tag. I'll try Chrome Remote Desktop tonight to see how it handles me using After Effects (simple animation workflow, so it won't be too visually demanding for streaming purposes).

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for some recommendations on remote desktop software for macOS to iPadOS. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'll be away from the home office tonight and Saturday but have some projects I need to work on. Any advice?
Jump Desktop is good too. It can automatically adjust your Mac resolution to fit with your iPad which is an absolute game changer for my use case (just text work) which iirc Screens can't. I used Screens during the beta launch window of iOS 13 for a bit but it was super broken back then due to changes on Apples end, so I can't give a fair judgment. Eventually purchased Jump Desktop when it was discounted and have been happy with it, so had no reason to go back to screens. Not sure how either will hold up with your AE workflow though.