• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Jump Desktop is good too. It can automatically adjust your Mac resolution to fit with your iPad which is an absolute game changer for my use case (just text work) which iirc Screens can't. I used Screens during the beta launch window of iOS 13 for a bit but it was super broken back then due to changes on Apples end, so I can't give a fair judgment. Eventually purchased Jump Desktop when it was discounted and have been happy with it, so had no reason to go back to screens. Not sure how either will hold up with your AE workflow though.

Nice! Do you happen to know if Jump Desktop supports, say, a Magic Mouse? The one thing holding me back from screens at the moment is that it doesn't support right click via mouse (and apparently crashes on iPad OS?).

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Do you happen to know if Jump Desktop supports, say, a Magic Mouse? The one thing holding me back from screens at the moment is that it doesn't support right click via mouse (and apparently crashes on iPad OS?).
They only support selected mice https://support.jumpdesktop.com/hc/en-us/articles/216426283 and afaik the iPadOS accessibility mouse pointer API is too limited to be used for that purpose (i.e. no right click). I only use my pencil though, so i unfortunately cant give you any in-depth info regarding mouse support

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
They only support selected mice https://support.jumpdesktop.com/hc/en-us/articles/216426283 and afaik the iPadOS accessibility mouse pointer API is too limited to be used for that purpose (i.e. no right click). I only use my pencil though, so i unfortunately cant give you any in-depth info regarding mouse support

Can you right click via the Apple Pencil? I'm just trying to figure out how I can bring up my menus while I'm in my workflow, lol. So long as I can right click somehow, either of this will work for me.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
What are Era's thoughts on an October event for a refresh? I'm on the fence now after Kuo's latest predictions—dude is saying we'll get a refresh early next year? 😕. I'm rocking an Air2 and I think I finally wanna get a Pro (I like the idea of the pencil and bigger screen).

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
What are Era's thoughts on an October event for a refresh? I'm on the fence now after Kuo's latest predictions—dude is saying we'll get a refresh early next year? 😕. I'm rocking an Air2 and I think I finally wanna get a Pro (I like the idea of the pencil and bigger screen).
With limited leaks and a new iPad just announced I'm also thinking next year for the next iPad Pro. I'm in the same boat too. Got an Air 2 and really want to upgrade.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
With Catalina/iPadOS, can I just plug my iPad Pro into my Mac Mini and drag and drop files off the iPad and back them up on my Mac?

or does it only work by connecting a hard drive directly to the iPad and using the files app to move files off the iPad?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any hope for an October event. Just gonna wait til March next year.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
With Catalina/iPadOS, can I just plug my iPad Pro into my Mac Mini and drag and drop files off the iPad and back them up on my Mac?

or does it only work by connecting a hard drive directly to the iPad and using the files app to move files off the iPad?

I don't think you can connect it and move files straight away like that, but you can connect a Google Drive, DropBox, or NAS and move files that way (or w/a Hard Drive/Thumb Drive). There's also iCloud, but unless you have a good amount of storage it might not be worth it for ya.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think you can connect it and move files straight away like that, but you can connect a Google Drive, DropBox, or NAS and move files that way (or w/a Hard Drive/Thumb Drive). There's also iCloud, but unless you have a good amount of storage it might not be worth it for ya.

Have you used iPadOS to back up Procreate drawings? That's all I want to do. Just plug in my USB-C hard drive to the iPad and I can copy them and then paste onto the external HD?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Have you used iPadOS to back up Procreate drawings? That's all I want to do. Just plug in my USB-C hard drive to the iPad and I can copy them and then paste onto the external HD?

Yep! Just open Procreate, select all of the files you want to backup, then select share. From there, hit "Save to Files" and your USB drive should be located within that drop menu (provided it is formatted correctly). After that, it's smooth sailing and transferring. You can also use Airdrop if you're doing smaller batches (but if you do too many, I find it usually finds some way to fuck up and stop working).

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had luck with realism with Procreate? Everything I've seen has had a stylized look to it so far. Looking into a Pro to get into it but not sure what's really available app wise to accomplish realism/likeness studies.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Yep! Just open Procreate, select all of the files you want to backup, then select share. From there, hit "Save to Files" and your USB drive should be located within that drop menu (provided it is formatted correctly). After that, it's smooth sailing and transferring. You can also use Airdrop if you're doing smaller batches (but if you do too many, I find it usually finds some way to fuck up and stop working).

ok great. Yea these drawings are using a paper texture that's like 200 MB so each drawing in the end is like ~300 MB, so I'll skip AirDrop and just transfer. Thanks.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
anyone finding thry Have less touch sensitivity issues? I just noticed I haven't had any problems since the last few updates? I have a 2nd gen 12.9 pro.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
has anybody tried the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm headphone adapter? does the volume ramp up from 0 to something like 20 which is a bit loud for me, i mean the increase in volume from 0 to the first click is substantial

el3m

Oct 27, 2017
has anybody tried the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm headphone adapter? does the volume ramp up from 0 to something like 20 which is a bit loud for me, i mean the increase in volume from 0 to the first click is substantial

I have the official Apple adapter with the same issue - the first level after silent is quite loud with some content.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I'm using the Google USB-C to 3.5mm adapter and it's behaving like I'd expect it to — mind you I'm mainly using the granular controls of the control panel. Using the buttons seems to be quieter than what you're describing.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
is the only significant upgrade to the pro looking like the 3 lens camera? I expect a spec bump as well, but will it be that meaningful? If there's nothing major aside from the camera, which i don't really care about, I'll probably just get the current 11" pro. Not interested in waiting until march for a minor spec bump and a camera I'll never use.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
is the only significant upgrade to the pro looking like the 3 lens camera? I expect a spec bump as well, but will it be that meaningful? If there's nothing major aside from the camera, which i don't really care about, I'll probably just get the current 11" pro. Not interested in waiting until march for a minor spec bump and a camera I'll never use.
No real rumors, but I can't imagine a chipset upgrade isn't happening, and the A13 Pro variant does some chip design voodoo for insane battery life games. May be worth it for that alone. *shrug*

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
No real rumors, but I can't imagine a chipset upgrade isn't happening, and the A13 Pro variant does some chip design voodoo for insane battery life games. May be worth it for that alone. *shrug*
i don't play games on my iPad, so unless that would give me meaningful performance gains in Procreate or other drawing/photo editing apps and Internet browsing and video watching (in which i already get quite good performance on my 2017 model) I dunno if it's worth the wait

Mar 3, 2019
Has anyone had luck with realism with Procreate? Everything I've seen has had a stylized look to it so far. Looking into a Pro to get into it but not sure what's really available app wise to accomplish realism/likeness studies.

The only limit to creating "realism" is your own talent. Procreate just gives you the tools to create with. I suggest you study up on lighting, composition, and anatomy if you want to draw more realistically

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really digging Fresco and the free six month trial has no monkeypaw bullshit. I subscribed to the extra brushes and features and immediately cancelled with zero issues.

I somehow lost the "use this canvas size as basis" option when creating new images but it's not a big deal. Probably just looking in the wrong place.

new Apple Pencil is a million times better than the old one. No longer ashamed to charge it in public and the new folio keyboard cover is a huge improvement to although even after opening it literally hundreds of times I still get the orientation wrong fifty percent of the time. Like a usb plug....

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm really digging Fresco and the free six month trial has no monkeypaw bullshit. I subscribed to the extra brushes and features and immediately cancelled with zero issues.

I somehow lost the "use this canvas size as basis" option when creating new images but it's not a big deal. Probably just looking in the wrong place.

new Apple Pencil is a million times better than the old one. No longer ashamed to charge it in public and the new folio keyboard cover is a huge improvement to although even after opening it literally hundreds of times I still get the orientation wrong fifty percent of the time. Like a usb plug....

Fresco is such a wonderful art program, it's a real big shame that it's tethered to such a high subscription price for people who aren't in the Creative Cloud system.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
i don't play games on my iPad, so unless that would give me meaningful performance gains in Procreate or other drawing/photo editing apps and Internet browsing and video watching (in which i already get quite good performance on my 2017 model) I dunno if it's worth the wait
The choice is yours, and yours alone. ;)

Have you used Procreate much? Compare/contrast?

And congrats on the new Pro. You know deep down you'll miss making a giant iPad lollypop.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

And congrats on the new Pro. You know deep down you'll miss making a giant iPad lollypop.

Procreate is MUCH more feature complete, affordable, and usable. Fresco is (in my opinion) great for what it's intended for, which is more or less recreating traditional art mediums on a digital platform. It has a long way to go.

If you're looking for an art program to use, Procreate is a considerably better value. If you're already in the Adobe ecosystem, Fresco is a no brainer to use and try, but Procreate is still a large part of my creative workflow. I use them back and forth for different things, but if you can only have one: Procreate.

I say this as somewhat of an Adobe stan, too.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Procreate is MUCH more feature complete, affordable, and usable. Fresco is (in my opinion) great for what it's intended for, which is more or less recreating traditional art mediums on a digital platform. It has a long way to go.

If you're looking for an art program to use, Procreate is a considerably better value. If you're already in the Adobe ecosystem, Fresco is a no brainer to use and try, but Procreate is still a large part of my creative workflow. I use them back and forth for different things, but if you can only have one: Procreate.

I say this as somewhat of an Adobe stan, too.
Yeah I'm not much of an artist but definitely have and love Procreate.Outside of Lightroom I'm in no way attached to Adobe, either.

All the more reason to not even download/launch it. :P

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not advanced enough to be a good indicator, the things I like about Fresco are the UI simplicity, easy layers and the brush behaviors. I still haven't figured out how to mask and take advantage of vector tools but so far it's much more natural feeling for me than Procreate was.

And Fresco was paid for as a work expense, so the value proposition for me is not a useful indicator.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mini bump: went back to procreate on account of this thread and got EXTREMELY CONfUSED - don't get me wrong it's intuitive and well designed but fresco is ironically easier and more intuitive for basic technique. ironic relative to how I think about photoshop , that is.

photoshop is my favorite art package yet the only one I have to google how to do basic stuff vs figure out through trial and error.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Mini bump: went back to procreate on account of this thread and got EXTREMELY CONfUSED - don't get me wrong it's intuitive and well designed but fresco is ironically easier and more intuitive for basic technique. ironic relative to how I think about photoshop , that is.

photoshop is my favorite art package yet the only one I have to google how to do basic stuff vs figure out through trial and error.

Give them both some time, they'll start to feel more familiar the more you use them. Cool tip, if you open Procreate and Fresco up in split view, you can actually drag layers from Procreate to Adobe Fresco. This is how I've gotten around not having certain assists (like shapes) in Fresco. I just draw them in Procreate and then drag the layers over. Easy as pie!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give them both some time, they'll start to feel more familiar the more you use them. Cool tip, if you open Procreate and Fresco up in split view, you can actually drag layers from Procreate to Adobe Fresco. This is how I've gotten around not having certain assists (like shapes) in Fresco. I just draw them in Procreate and then drag the layers over. Easy as pie!
Holy poop- seriously

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Try ArtStudio Pro. I love it because the layout is like Photoshop.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Holy poop- seriously

yep! Transparency is preserved and everything. Worth noting that you'll have to convert the dragged layers to "raster layers" to edit them (I believe they are imported as photo layers). One thing I do is mask the layer contents of imported layers, and then copy / paste that mask to a new layer. Makes it easy to fill shapes without having to use the awful paint bucket tool in Fresco

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man, mouse support is very nice. I hope it becomes more ingrained in future updates.

Now I just want Jump Desktop to have proper full mouse support instead of pretending to use Windows Multitouch, then I can just use my iPad for dev work and no longer need a laptop 🙌

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
So while they wouldn't do anything about my new cracking iPhone 11 case which I was fine with, I got Apple to replace my much more expensive nearly one year old keyboard case for free. It was really looking awful with just normal use.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Just got the iPad Pro 12.9 refurbished from Apple and my god what a difference compared to my 9.7 (Non-Pro). I have it attached to my Logitech Slim Folio Pro, while also getting the Pencil Generation II tomorrow, but I have to say this iPad is GORGEOUS. It runs buttery smooth, sounds fantastic and will make a world of difference for when I use split-screen for homework assignments.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Having some issues with my 2017 iPad, the screen is sometimes completely unresponsive for a few seconds, I'll be swiping and it will do nothing.

This is incredibly frustrating as I use it for my job (illustrating) and it really breaks my workflow.

I've tried restarting etc but the problem persists. Wonder if anyone else has dealt with this and what they did to fix it?

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Having some issues with my 2017 iPad, the screen is sometimes completely unresponsive for a few seconds, I'll be swiping and it will do nothing.

This is incredibly frustrating as I use it for my job (illustrating) and it really breaks my workflow.

I've tried restarting etc but the problem persists. Wonder if anyone else has dealt with this and what they did to fix it?

looks like a hardware problem, take it to Apple