• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone run into this? You could probably try to recreate this with any app that creates files, but I'm using Procreate.

I'm almost out of space on my 64 GB iPad. I have 63.1 of 64 GB used.

I copy a Procreate drawing of ~200 MB to an external hard drive. My iPad storage now reads 63.3 of 64 GB used.

So if you copy a file to an external location, it ALSO takes up space on the iPad internal storage? What the hell is going on? Am I doing something wrong?

I've removed the external drive and restarted the iPad, but it doesn't seem to get rid of that extra storage that seems to be duplicated when you copy a file to an external drive.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Has anyone run into this? You could probably try to recreate this with any app that creates files, but I'm using Procreate.

I'm almost out of space on my 64 GB iPad. I have 63.1 of 64 GB used.

I copy a Procreate drawing of ~200 MB to an external hard drive. My iPad storage now reads 63.3 of 64 GB used.

So if you copy a file to an external location, it ALSO takes up space on the iPad internal storage? What the hell is going on? Am I doing something wrong?

I've removed the external drive and restarted the iPad, but it doesn't seem to get rid of that extra storage that seems to be duplicated when you copy a file to an external drive.
Try filling it up. It's likely a cached version.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
maybe copy just 1 file and delete afterwards? and yes, the iOS file system is so closed compared to Android

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I have a big folder of drawings I'm trying to copy over and then delete, but at a certain point the transfer stops and says I'm out of space. I'm not doing anything but transferring files which is leading me to run out of space.

Have you tried offloading any unused apps? Is all of your data tied up in Procreate, or is there anywhere else you can offload? It's likely that the iPad caches a copy of the file during transfer as a safety precaution to prevent any corruption to the original file in the event of a power failure, etc.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All I want is an iPad mini in an iPad Pro design. I don't care about all the beefed up specs, it just looks much better.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
All I want is an iPad mini in an iPad Pro design. I don't care about all the beefed up specs, it just looks much better.

I mean, FaceID kind of requires specs that the mini doesn't have. It'll be a few years before they can offer the Pro design (no bezel) to the budget friendly mini platform. That hardware (the front facing cameras, IR sensor, processor, etc) comes at a cost. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it anytime soon.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, FaceID kind of requires specs that the mini doesn't have. It'll be a few years before they can offer the Pro design (no bezel) to the budget friendly mini platform. That hardware (the front facing cameras, IR sensor, processor, etc) comes at a cost. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it anytime soon.

If the rumors are true that the iPhone 12 will have reduced/no notch by miniaturizing faceID, that gives me hope that a iPad Pro Mini might be possible eventually.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
If the rumors are true that the iPhone 12 will have reduced/no bezels by miniaturizing faceID, that gives me hope that a iPad Pro Mini might be possible eventually.

I don't disagree, I just think it'll be a while before the cost of those components (the cameras etc, and the processing power) are low enough to fit into the lower price of the iPad Mini. That's the obstacle right now. The normal iPad and iPad mini are both "budget" tablets from Apple, which is why they don't have the Pro look (because that requires a considerable increase in cost). It'll happen, eventually, but it'll likely still be a few generations behind current tech in other iPads when that time comes.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
I have an iPad 11" 64gb, but I ordered a super cheap 12.9", 512gb second gen, I always wanted the bigger screen, does the files app works the same through a lightning to usb-c cable? I usually just conected my Sony A7III camera directly to the 11" with the usb-c, but I wonder if I can get the same functionality with a lightning cable or adapter

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Picked up an iPad Pro 11" on Amazon and loving it, but it appears that I'm having really weird Apple Pencil issues. For the first few days I couldn't get the pencil to pair, it would just say "Apple Pencil" at the top with no battery level indicator when I attached it to the magnet.

After finally doing a hard reset to pair it, it often still does what it did before, with sharp drops in battery life over the course of minutes or less. Anyone have this issue happen to them?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Picked up an iPad Pro 11" on Amazon and loving it, but it appears that I'm having really weird Apple Pencil issues. For the first few days I couldn't get the pencil to pair, it would just say "Apple Pencil" at the top with no battery level indicator when I attached it to the magnet.

After finally doing a hard reset to pair it, it often still does what it did before, with sharp drops in battery life over the course of minutes or less. Anyone have this issue happen to them?

Never encountered this. If you just bought it, I'd for sure take it to an Apple Store (or return the pencil wherever you bought it) to get a new one and see if it persists. You should be able to go to any retail chain that has them and test your iPad with a different pencil as well (to see if the fault is the pencil, or the iPad).

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have seen a couple of weird disconnects but magnet pair always fixed it. Which version of os 13 are you on? (Up to date?) And how many Bluetooth pairings do you have?

my instinct is that it's your pencil but that's tales from my ass without more data.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Never encountered this. If you just bought it, I'd for sure take it to an Apple Store (or return the pencil wherever you bought it) to get a new one and see if it persists. You should be able to go to any retail chain that has them and test your iPad with a different pencil as well (to see if the fault is the pencil, or the iPad).
I have seen a couple of weird disconnects but magnet pair always fixed it. Which version of os 13 are you on? (Up to date?) And how many Bluetooth pairings do you have?

I bought it on Amazon, so I would have to unfortunately get an exchange through them I assume if I keep having these issues. Only Bluetooth pairings is the occasional AirPods, nothing else. Currently on 13.2.3, but was having the issue prior to updating as well.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an iPad 11" 64gb, but I ordered a super cheap 12.9", 512gb second gen, I always wanted the bigger screen, does the files app works the same through a lightning to usb-c cable? I usually just conected my Sony A7III camera directly to the 11" with the usb-c, but I wonder if I can get the same functionality with a lightning cable or adapter

I was able to use a lightning adapter on my old pro for usb and SD cards so it should work. Caution that every now and then a usb device won't mount unless I wait a little bit and then plug out and back in again.

Files is still an exercise in counfoundment though and I can't adequately explain the issues because they're vague, counterintuitive and vary between apps but I spend half my time telling apps to stop defaulting to the cloud and the other half being baffled as to why my folders don't show up in "on this iPad"

not to mention the bizarre little dance of "open" no wait "share" no wait "open this file in" no wait why are you "copying file"!!??

Dec 24, 2017
Got my Brydge keyboard for my iPad Pro. Not having a trackpad isn't that big of an issue, tbh. The stupid pointer size however it for mouse support.

Maybe iPad OS 14 will be more MacBook like

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Question for you:

For you, personally, would you every ditch Adobe CC for the Affinity apps? If not, why if you don't mind me asking?

I actually own & use Affinity Photo & Designer on my iPad :)

That said, I keep theCC subscription because it's the software I know best, and it also accompanies a host of other apps I use very regularly (After Effects, Premiere, Audition, & InDesign, to name a few). That coupled with the free fonts & cloud storage kind of make it a no brainer for me.

I'm not opposed to using other apps, they all have uses in my creative workflow, but abandoning Creative Cloud isn't something I can do.

Sep 14, 2019
I actually own & use Affinity Photo & Designer on my iPad :)

That said, I keep theCC subscription because it's the software I know best, and it also accompanies a host of other apps I use very regularly (After Effects, Premiere, Audition, & InDesign, to name a few). That coupled with the free fonts & cloud storage kind of make it a no brainer for me.

I'm not opposed to using other apps, they all have uses in my creative workflow, but abandoning Creative Cloud isn't something I can do.

Thanks for the response!

I've been debating whether to get the Affinity or Adobe apps, or at the very least which ones should I get first. I'm new to design and all that, so I'm deciding what apps to purchase/subscribe to learn first.

I guess the Adobe apps are it.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Thanks for the response!

I've been debating whether to get the Affinity or Adobe apps, or at the very least which ones should I get first. I'm new to design and all that, so I'm deciding what apps to purchase/subscribe to learn first.

I guess the Adobe apps are it.

If you're new and just dabbling, start with Affinity. It's affordable, and you won't be locked into any contracts or payments.

If you're a student, Adobe is a solid plan, and all Adobe apps are on sale for 40% off through the 29th.

Sep 14, 2019
If you're new and just dabbling, start with Affinity. It's affordable, and you won't be locked into any contracts or payments.

If you're a student, Adobe is a solid plan, and all Adobe apps are on sale for 40% off through the 29th.

I was thinking of taking advantage of the student discount, so I might as well go with that.

Thanks!

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone's ipad battery gone bad? I feel like mine drains super quick now and it takes 10+ hours for a full charge.

EccoCid

Mar 7, 2018
London
Sold my first gen ipad pro 12.9 to a friend and got an pro 11 inch version.. I backed up my old ipad to my mac (my mac is 2013). And now i wanna restore the backup to my new ipad pro but i cant because of the different cables they use. Is there anyway to send the backup from mac to new ipad via airdrop? I cant use icloud that would take ages to upload and download huge amount of data (procreate files etc). and i have a basic icloud plan which is only 5 gb. Do i have to cash out for those converters just to use it for once? ugh :(

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
I'd like to use my iPad Pro (with smart keyboard case) as a remote keyboard/trackpad for my desktop Windows OPC when it's plugged into my TV.

Is there an app for this that doesn't suck? Tried Remote Mouse and it was junk. There's an app called TouchPad but it requires you to set up a one-off VNC server like TightVNC, and I'd like something more integrated, since I don't need screen sharing

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'm looking for a USB C to HDMI cable that supports HDR. Does anyone have a recommendation? The one I just bought doesn't work with it.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sold my first gen ipad pro 12.9 to a friend and got an pro 11 inch version.. I backed up my old ipad to my mac (my mac is 2013). And now i wanna restore the backup to my new ipad pro but i cant because of the different cables they use. Is there anyway to send the backup from mac to new ipad via airdrop? I cant use icloud that would take ages to upload and download huge amount of data (procreate files etc). and i have a basic icloud plan which is only 5 gb. Do i have to cash out for those converters just to use it for once? ugh :(

get a bog-standard usb-c to usb-a cable, they're like $10

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Any good cyber monday deals on the current 12.9?

Pretty much just $150-$200 off at most retailers, and that's about it.

If you're in the US and don't have the total cash on hand to pick one up, you can probably finance one through your cellphone service provider, the only downside being you'll pay more in the long run w/cellphone service fees. That's how I got mine, financed it through Sprint with a $30/month line, and then paid it off far earlier than projected (and cancelled the line).

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much just $150-$200 off at most retailers, and that's about it.

If you're in the US and don't have the total cash on hand to pick one up, you can probably finance one through your cellphone service provider, the only downside being you'll pay more in the long run w/cellphone service fees. That's how I got mine, financed it through Sprint with a $30/month line, and then paid it off far earlier than projected (and cancelled the line).

Well, 150-200 off is better than nothing! Thanks!

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Well, 150-200 off is better than nothing! Thanks!

Absolutely! I'm sure there are some other ways you can combine deals and get one lower or with some extra perks. Good luck!

Is there a consensus on which is the best case for the 3rd gen 12.9 pro? The one I'm currently looking at is the Zugu Case Muse case

The Muse is what I use and I can't imagine using anything else. It's sturdy, secures the pen beautifully in both ways (magnet or the nylon sleeve in the back), and leaves plenty of room for USB C devices (I have a USB C to standard USB adapter that's pretty beefy and it fits really comfortably w/out issue). The only downside I can think of is the rubber where the pen mounts magnetically is a little more flexible than the rest of it, so it can be weird if you're holding it like a book, but other than that it's fantastic.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what it'll take for the iPad Pro to get haptics. Killing 3D Touch (and the pressure-sensing hardware) should make it easier/lower the bar to implement that, no?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I wonder what it'll take for the iPad Pro to get haptics. Killing 3D Touch (and the pressure-sensing hardware) should make it easier/lower the bar to implement that, no?

I'm trying to think of uses for haptics outside of maybe gaming? It might be nice to get some feedback when clicking a link, or using the keyboard. I'm sure there are tons of uses, I'm just not forward thinking enough to imagine what they'd be.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me the reason I never got an expensive iPad was because I was waiting for 3D Touch in one. Instead I got the cheapest one on sale and have just been happy with that. Apple's loss.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

i don't think so - i think the core problem with haptics in an ipad is the same as it's always been, which is "how do you make even feedback across an entire 12.9" ipad pro"

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to think of uses for haptics outside of maybe gaming? It might be nice to get some feedback when clicking a link, or using the keyboard. I'm sure there are tons of uses, I'm just not forward thinking enough to imagine what they'd be.
Honestly, I just think that the added level of feedback for basic interactions is really nice. I don't think it's something Apple MUST MUST add to the iPad, just that it'd be very pleasant if they did.
i don't think so - i think the core problem with haptics in an ipad is the same as it's always been, which is "how do you make even feedback across an entire 12.9" ipad pro"
Probably, yeah. The Magic Trackpad is the biggest thing Apple makes with haptics in it, IIRC, and the feedback on that is substantially less precise (basically just used for clicking) than it is on an iPhone, IMO.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Honestly, I just think that the added level of feedback for basic interactions is really nice. I don't think it's something Apple MUST MUST add to the iPad, just that it'd be very pleasant if they did.

Admittedly, it would be pretty nice to have some kind of tactile feedback for certain actions for sure. I wonder if the main hold up is just implementing haptic feedback across the entire surface & that being too costly. I'd imagine that'd require a lot of hardware to make that happen.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I'll probably go with that case.

If you have time would you mind posting some pics?

Sure, I'll try to take some a bit later tonight & upload them to a shared Drive folder.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
My fiancee gave me the 11 inch pro a month back, and I love it. The screen is brighter and all around better than my macbook air. I prefer to read on it at night than on my phone. And when I bought the apple pencil it sparked my interest in drawing again.

The only thing that apple needs to add is proper mouse and keyboard support.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly, it would be pretty nice to have some kind of tactile feedback for certain actions for sure. I wonder if the main hold up is just implementing haptic feedback across the entire surface & that being too costly. I'd imagine that'd require a lot of hardware to make that happen.
Yeah, pretty much. Still, I hope Apple prizes the essential "niceness" of the user experience enough that they still want to get it in there at some point.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone had issues with their iPad Pro + Keyboard Folio Cover's return key working on Discord to send a message?