• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
I pulled the trigger on a iPad Pro 11' and I'm wondering which case you guys prefer for it?

I have a first gen pencil and I'm not really interested using a keyboard with it. Should I go folio style?

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
I pulled the trigger on a iPad Pro 11' and I'm wondering which case you guys prefer for it?

I have a first gen pencil and I'm not really interested using a keyboard with it. Should I go folio style?

I got this one, the feel of the case is great and the pen sleeve at the back is handy. There's no protection for the corners but I also have something like this when carrying it around in my backpack.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I went with Apple's smart folio, and use a Picaso leather sleeve to carry it, which is kind of luxurious tbh (but looks damn good).

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
I got this one, the feel of the case is great and the pen sleeve at the back is handy. There's no protection for the corners but I also have something like this when carrying it around in my backpack.

This one looks nice. Which color did you go with and would you vouch for that color? Another sleeve does seem kinda essential too since I plan to carry it around to places in a bag.

first-gen pencil won't work with the 11" pro, if you did not realize that already

Well I didn't but now I do! Thanks for letting me know before I opened the pencil. I guess I need to get a second gen from somewhere now.

I went with Apple's smart folio, and use a Picaso leather sleeve to carry it, which is kind of luxurious tbh (but looks damn good).

I'll probably go for something a little cheaper and lowkey but that sleeve does look good.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
This one looks nice. Which color did you go with and would you vouch for that color? Another sleeve does seem kinda essential too since I plan to carry it around to places in a bag.

i have the faux-leather rustic brown one. I didn't want a real leather case so this has been perfect for me. It looks and feels nice enough for the price so yeah I would recommend it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just gonna leave this here: ArtStudio Pro ... is better than Procreate.
I'm testing Procreate 5 beta and still stand by the above statement.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the 10.2in 7th iPad on Black Friday - doesn't look like that has an OT home unless I am missing something. Sorry, Pro people.

Going off of the current discussion, can I use this tablet as a bit of an art tablet? I get it won't be as good as with the Pro, but for what I want to do it doesn't have to be.

Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah of course. Get yourself an Apple Pencil and start drawing.

I generally recommend using a matte screen protector, but if your use is casual and you aren't bothered by the slipperyness and other characteristics of drawing on the glass, I'd say just enjoy the screen clarity instead.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Finally ordered a USB C SD card reader. Going to Japan next month and will use it to edit photos in Lightroom. Will be interesting to see how well that works.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Finally ordered a USB C SD card reader. Going to Japan next month and will use it to edit photos in Lightroom. Will be interesting to see how well that works.

Hopefully by then they'll have the photo import settled. I don't think it's available right now, but "soon" they're adding the ability to import photos directly to lightroom, instead of having to import first to the stock photos app, and then importing to Lightroom. Gonna be a pretty big game changer for mobile photo editing. Also, if you have any presets, make sure you import them before you leave!

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

I did exactly that last year.

I wasn't really editing photos though. At the end of the day I would just upload to the Adobe cloud through iPad Lightroom to back up and edit when I got home.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I did exactly that last year.

I wasn't really editing photos though. At the end of the day I would just upload to the Adobe cloud through iPad Lightroom to back up and edit when I got home.

You should give the new build of LR a shot! It's super competent unless you need to do some heavy manipulation (in which case Photoshop is needed anyway). You can batch edit photos now, import presets, and if you need to do more heavy lifting later, like you said it's all on the cloud anyway. I taught the wife to edit photos on her iPad and she hasn't looked back (and my CC storage space is quickly shrinking, hahaha).

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
You should give the new build of LR a shot! It's super competent unless you need to do some heavy manipulation (in which case Photoshop is needed anyway). You can batch edit photos now, import presets, and if you need to do more heavy lifting later, like you said it's all on the cloud anyway. I taught the wife to edit photos on her iPad and she hasn't looked back (and my CC storage space is quickly shrinking, hahaha).

I really only use my iPad to edit photos (I think I would put it at 95% iPad/5% Mac Mini). I do lots of event photography so the editing side is never too intense, so iPad Lightroom has been great the past year. I was in a crunch one day and tethered my iPad to my phone and edited a job on my iPad on the bus. Pretty futuristic.

I haven't tried batch edits yet but it should be helpful.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I really only use my iPad to edit photos (I think I would put it at 95% iPad/5% Mac Mini). I do lots of event photography so the editing side is never too intense, so iPad Lightroom has been great the past year. I was in a crunch one day and tethered my iPad to my phone and edited a job on my iPad on the bus. Pretty futuristic.

I haven't tried batch edits yet but it should be helpful.

It's really wild how far we've come. One of my good friends is a wedding photographer and I was showing her how my wife does her edits (for our dogs instagram, of all things) and she's already going to head out to buy an iPad Pro, lol. I'm hoping in the future they'll add tethered camera support to Lightroom Mobile so you can shoot straight to the iPad. We do a lot of studio shoots at my job, and that would be a god send. The only hang up being I have no idea how much battery that would consume on the go, but I imagine it would be considerably better than the battery life we get out of our Macbook.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
wanted to try and get a temperature check from artists on how they feel about matte screen protectors. Thinking of trying one out but I'm somewhat worried about my general use experience with the texture outside of drawing? I don't find matte unappealing but I love the look and feel of the screen as is and I'm deliberating real hard about which aspects to value here :/

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
wanted to try and get a temperature check from artists on how they feel about matte screen protectors. Thinking of trying one out but I'm somewhat worried about my general use experience with the texture outside of drawing? I don't find matte unappealing but I love the look and feel of the screen as is and I'm deliberating real hard about which aspects to value here :/

I primarily use my iPad for illustration / drawing / design. I have the Paperlike (first gen) and right off the bat here's what I'll tell you:

I love the texture and feel
It will make a sound that takes some getting used to when you draw
It will pull back on the clarity of your image (both contrast and sharpness a bit)
It will wear down the nib of your apple pencil faster

That said, I'm using the Paperlike 1, and the new one is supposed to have improved clarity (along with a rougher, more resistant texture). I haven't used that yet, but I'll probably upgrade sometime next year.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I primarily use my iPad for illustration / drawing / design. I have the Paperlike (first gen) and right off the bat here's what I'll tell you:

I love the texture and feel
It will make a sound that takes some getting used to when you draw
It will pull back on the clarity of your image (both contrast and sharpness a bit)
It will wear down the nib of your apple pencil faster

That said, I'm using the Paperlike 1, and the new one is supposed to have improved clarity (along with a rougher, more resistant texture). I haven't used that yet, but I'll probably upgrade sometime next year.
thanks for the input! Was looking into paperlike, it seems like most folks really enjoy it. I use my ipad a ton for browsing and writing and stuff so it seems like a hard call to take a hit to the feel and image quality, but I think they come with two protectors so I should maybe just feel it out for myself

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
thanks for the input! Was looking into paperlike, it seems like most folks really enjoy it. I use my ipad a ton for browsing and writing and stuff so it seems like a hard call to take a hit to the feel and image quality, but I think they come with two protectors so I should maybe just feel it out for myself

Yep, each one comes with two screen protectors, so even if you don't like it, you can probably sell your second one for half the price and recoup some of your costs.

The degradation to image quality isn't really staggering, but it's just enough to notice a difference (most notably with color vibrancy). That said, from everything I've read, the Paperlike 2 does over crisper colors and less color noise, and I'm considering upgrading in January.

Oct 25, 2017
I can suggest the iCarez matte screen protector on amazon as a much cheaper alternative. I've tried numerous brands (not paperlike) and this is the best one so far. From looking at a lot of opinions all over the internet, it should be slightly less textured with slightly less distortion than the paperlike v1

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up a 12.9 3rd gen. Apple Pencil 2 and have a paperlike v2 in order. Downloaded Procreate and I'm having a blast. Haven't done any 2D art in years and it's my first time actually enjoying it digitally. Surprised at how convincing the pencil work is. Also started my first painting ever. Super inspired despite some expected rough results lol.

fheIgLx.jpg

t5zOpjL.jpg

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Picked up a 12.9 3rd gen. Apple Pencil 2 and have a paperlike v2 in order. Downloaded Procreate and I'm having a blast. Haven't done any 2D art in years and it's my first time actually enjoying it digitally. Surprised at how convincing the pencil work is. Also started my first painting ever. Super inspired despite some expected rough results lol.

fheIgLx.jpg

t5zOpjL.jpg

These look great dude! You should check out Adobe Fresco for the free 6 month trial, I think you'll really like the pencil simulation, it's pretty fantastic.

Also Procreate V5 is out this month (supposedly) so you have that to look forward to as well.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These look great dude! You should check out Adobe Fresco for the free 6 month trial, I think you'll really like the pencil simulation, it's pretty fantastic.

Also Procreate V5 is out this month (supposedly) so you have that to look forward to as well.
Appreciate it, thanks. I've heard some complaints about Fresco from Procreate YT creators but I'll give it a whirl for the trial. Been following some of the beta impressions etc, brush engine looks a little more understandable or friendly to edit. I'm still a little shocked it's just $10.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Appreciate it, thanks. I've heard some complaints about Fresco from Procreate YT creators but I'll give it a whirl for the trial. Been following some of the beta impressions etc, brush engine looks a little more understandable or friendly to edit. I'm still a little shocked it's just $10.

So Fresco is for sure missing some handy features that Procreate has (like symmetry, clipping masks, auto shapes, etc). On the flip side, the performance of the brushes, canvas sizes, and number of layers in Fresco is significantly better.

The great thing about having both is you can work in tandem, dragging and dropping layers between apps.

They both have strengths and weaknesses, the biggest drawback for Fresco is the absolutely ludicrous pricing model. It's laughably bad if you don't already have Adobe CC.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Fresco is for sure missing some handy features that Procreate has (like symmetry, clipping masks, auto shapes, etc). On the flip side, the performance of the brushes, canvas sizes, and number of layers in Fresco is significantly better.

The great thing about having both is you can work in tandem, dragging and dropping layers between apps.

They both have strengths and weaknesses, the biggest drawback for Fresco is the absolutely ludicrous pricing model. It's laughably bad if you don't already have Adobe CC.
Oh cool, had no idea they were compatible to some extent.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
The assorted supply chain reports about the next iPad Pro having miniLED (NOT microLED) backlighting is cool. It's still highly localized dimming rather than per-pixel dimming (like OLED or like microLED), but it'd still be a great step toward getting higher contrast and hopefully some true black.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone use the iPad pro with VMware to use Windows? I'm curious what your experience is with the keyboard or pencil interacting with a windows instance, in particular your ability to right click.

I know its not ideal, but being able to use an iPad would be desirable over a dedicated laptop.

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best app for quick notes, planning, storyboarding, etc?

The organization of the built in Notes app leaves something to be desired. But I would like a similarly lightweight note system.

Also is ProCreate worth it if I only plan on doing rough sketching and storyboarding?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
What's the best app for quick notes, planning, storyboarding, etc?

The organization of the built in Notes app leaves something to be desired. But I would like a similarly lightweight note system.

Also is ProCreate worth it if I only plan on doing rough sketching and storyboarding?

Noteshelf is pretty good, that's what I use. Lots of great features like search, individual notebooks, custom paper, and cloud support.

Procreate is 100% worth buying. If you need something free for simple sketches that don't have to be high res, Adobe Fresco has a free option available that might work for you.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Arrgh... I'm SO close to going out and getting a 12.9. I've been close to it for a couple months now, and now for Christmas a few family members who knew it gave me apple gift cards that add up to a big chunk of it.

I'm honestly thinking about stopping at the apple store on the way home today.

But that said, it sure seems like the refresh is SOON. I can't decide what to do. How feasible is it really to trade one in if the new one comes out in a few months?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Arrgh... I'm SO close to going out and getting a 12.9. I've been close to it for a couple months now, and now for Christmas a few family members who knew it gave me apple gift cards that add up to a big chunk of it.

But that said, it sure seems like the refresh is SOON. I can't decide what to do. How feasible is it really to trade one in if the new one comes out in a few months?

Right now there are two big features planned for a refresh, the rest is just he usual spec bump stuff that doesn't really change the game *too* much.

First is the rear facing TOF camera that would allow the next iPad to capture "3D models", but it's not really clear what that brings to the table outside of novelty. Second is the rumored new 12.9" Pro with a "mini LED screen". Basically that would just give better contract, color, deeper blacks, etc. This screen refresh is rumored for late 2020, making a staggered Pro refresh possible (or they'll just wait until Oct. to refresh them both).

Outside of that, I wouldn't expect much to change between now and the end of 2020. I think we'll see bigger changes and updates come 2021 with a (hopefully) new pencil.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The refresh will probably be either March or October fwiw

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, and I'm itching to draw with the pencil, etc. I think I'm going 512 GB. I have a Creative Cloud sub already so I can try both Photoshop that I'm used to and the current version of Procreate... I'm excited now! I think I'll get a paperlike, too!

I can't decide whether I actually want the smart keyboard folio cover, or just the standard smart cover. Or maybe I should go with a Book Book or something?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Yeah, and I'm itching to draw with the pencil, etc. I think I'm going 512 GB. I have a Creative Cloud sub already so I can try both Photoshop that I'm used to and the current version of Procreate... I'm excited now! I think I'll get a paperlike, too!

I can't decide whether I actually want the smart keyboard folio cover, or just the standard smart cover. Or maybe I should go with a Book Book or something?

I have the 256GB Pro (12.9) and I've been using it since launch...and I'm only using ~90 of 256GB...it's a LOT of storage, might not be necessary to have that much space (especially since you can easily expand it with an external drive).

For covers, I'd go with exactly neither of those, and instead get the Zugu Muse case. It's pricey, but it's also sturdy, convenient, and works wonderfully when it comes to giving you angle options.

I've tried 4 cases on my iPad, and this is easily the best one in my opinion. Charges the pen, has a separate nylon carrier for the pen (so it's not always charging), tons of viewing / drawing angles (with strong magnets to hold) and the USB opening is PLENTY large enough for things like USBC to HDMI converters, etc. Granted, I had an extra Apple keyboard from my iMac, so I just keep that in my bag and use that, so if a keyboard is essential to you, this doesn't help at all.

I use my iPad for art almost exclusively. My top apps for storage are Lightroom, Procreate, Fresco, and Photoshop, lol.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
iPad got! 😎

Just the iPad and pencil. No case yet, but I'm going to order one today. I fooled around in Procreate and Fresco some, I think I'm leaning toward Procreate. But those live brushes in Fresco are NUTS.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SKRUB KWESTION: How do I change the behavior of the power button on my Pro 12.9 so a long press will shut down?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
iPad got! 😎

Just the iPad and pencil. No case yet, but I'm going to order one today. I fooled around in Procreate and Fresco some, I think I'm leaning toward Procreate. But those live brushes in Fresco are NUTS.

Procreate is for sure the better app. I think both have their place, and since Fresco is basically free now, it's a good app to keep in your back pocket. Protip: You can open Fresco and Procreate side by side, and drag layers from Procreate into Fresco. I usually do all my line work or framing in Procreate, and then do all my colors & detail work in Fresco (but I also have Creative Cloud so I have like a thousand awesome brushes in Fresco).

SKRUB KWESTION: How do I change the behavior of the power button on my Pro 12.9 so a long press will shut down?

I don't think you can, but I'll look into it and see if that's possible. Might be buried somewhere in accessibility?

Edit: Just looked into it, looks like you can only disable long press to activate Siri, but not turn on long-press to start system shut down. That's locked to Power + Volume button.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well hello there!

r5Qs27m.jpg

Actually, I took this picture last Thursday when I got it, intending to post it here but never did until now, lol. But I thought it was too clever to let go.

I wound up getting that Book Book cover I linked to. I really like it, so classy. And Ive been drawing like every day:

jMHsLNd.jpg

669i3sz.jpg

Last edited: