• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

📱?

• iPhone 11

Votes: 224 11.6%
  • iPhone 11 Pro

Votes: 251 13.0%
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max

Votes: 311 16.1%
  • Pass

Votes: 1,148 59.4%

• Total voters

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
$700 for a product you'll use daily for at least three years isn't awful.
I get that. Still way too much for my blood. I would never go over like 200$ or 250$ for a phone. Phones have peaked years ago, imo, and yet somehow iPhones just keep increasing in price for the most part. I just don't get it but to each their own. Even Sammy does it too, so to be fair, it's not just Apple.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
You never have to wait for the animation. Even on the lock screen you can swipe up before the scan is complete.

Also, it's absolutely not 2-3 seconds. I have an X and it takes less than a second every time.
The lock screen handles faceID more quickly than payment auth. It's an awkward solution for mobile payments. TouchID was more seamless, and faster. It takes a couple of seconds when using your face as auth for a transaction.

Nov 13, 2017
Upgrading my XS Max to the Pro Max. The Apple upgrade program makes it so simple. Can't say I'm really excited for any of the new features EXCEPT FOR THAT NEW BATTERY LIFE BABY!!

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These prices are, as usual, insane.

I have no clue how iPhone users justify it. Just crazy.

This is a board where people buy $2000 video cards but spend all their free time posting.

That said, with a device you use for five+ hours a day everyday, across multiple aspects of your life, it might be worth shelling out a bit more for a better experience. Besides, deprecation on iPhones is comparatively small.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oooo a price cut on the XR, hmm. But the 11 is just $100 more, hmmm?

Is that extra $100 worth it or should I just go for last year's model? Living with a 7 Plus and ready to say goodbye.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally upgraded from a 7 plus to an XR about 4 months ago after my phone crapped out. If only it lasted just a bit longer. Oh well, doesn't look like the 11 is too much of an improvement over the XR. Maybe the next cycle I'll upgrade.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This is a board where people buy $2000 video cards but spend all their free time posting.

That said, with a device you use for five+ hours a day everyday, across multiple aspects of your life, it might be worth shelling out a bit more for a better experience. Besides, deprecation on iPhones is comparatively small.

Lol true that

Idk. I'm perfectly happy with my 120$ Redmi Note 4x for the past 2 years now. Camera's a bit shite out of the box but when you can just sideload the Google Cam app with night sight, it's moot.

I still think it's crazy but I guess others will just pay wayyy more than me for these things. Anyway, thanks for the input, guys. I will continue to be a cheap-ass.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I get that. Still way too much for my blood. I would never go over like 200$ or 250$ for a phone. Phones have peaked years ago, imo, and yet somehow iPhones just keep increasing in price for the most part. I just don't get it but to each their own. Even Sammy does it too, so to be fair, it's not just Apple.

I understand. I'm a "buy refurbished" kinda guy myself. If had a gun put to my head today and was told to buy a new phone I'd probably grab a 64GB iPhone 8 for $379.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So does the regular 11 have the damage protection stuff? Don't get it, the Pro video went over it. If it does, that's pretty rad and a big deal for me. I don't care about the camera.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017

Eh, while I'll be the first to admit the age of the $1,000 phone sucks - especially since top-end flagships are knocking on FIFTEEN HUNDRED F'ING DOLLARS - I really think Apple's done a great job being competitive here with the iPhone 11.

iPhone 11 has...

... The fastest CPU and GPU in a phone
... All iOS13 features
... The best LCD on the market, and a ~6" size, with minimal bezel
... excellent battery life
... one of the best cameras you can get on a "non-flagship"
... water and dust resistance
... wireless charging
... hyper-secure FaceID
... excellent build-quality
... same excellent network of Apple Stores and repair shops for exchanges and assistance

... for $700. I mean, it's been my recommendation to every.single.person today who's asked me (their resident phone/tech person) which iPhone to get. If you're "not sure" which iPhone is for you, then almost certainly, the iPhone 11 ("regular") is perfect and will meet and exceed every need you have. And if $700 is too rich, there's nothing stopping you from buying a sub-$400 iPhone 8 on the refurb store, which honestly grants you a lot of the above - again, with way better build quality than any $200 Android phone from some no-name brand and way better residual value and way better support.

Again. For $700, the 11 is solid for a new release. And I guarantee we'll see some crazy deals between release and Christmas - B1G1, trade-in deals, $200 GC if you buy at Target, etc...

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I actually don't think the final design of the camera square looks as bad as the leaked photos. It's definitely going to take time getting used to but it's not too bad.

That said, I feel like I have very little reason to upgrade and I don't feel like I'm missing out on a whole lot having an iPhone XS. I'll wait for the 2020 phone.

Also that green iPhone 11 Pro is so dope.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure which I want. Besides OLED and camera, any other compelling reasons to choose the 11 Pro over the base 11?

DGrade

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Hmmm I'm still holding on to my IPhone X, do you guys think it's a significant enough upgrade to go for the pro max 11?

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Ummm... Did the notch get even bigger? lol. I thought they were getting rid of that notch. I guess iPhone 12?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I understand. I'm a "buy refurbished" kinda guy myself. If had a gun put to my head today and was told to buy a new phone I'd probably grab a 64GB iPhone 8 for $379.
At'll do!
Again. For $700. And I guarantee we'll see some crazy deals between release and Christmas - B1G1, trade-in deals, $200 GC if you buy at Target, etc...
Well, that's one way to bring the price down!

But yeah, I'll just never be in the market for any phone priced over 300$ so it's prob. just a me thing. Also I am not a fan of iOS in the slightest. Only with a jailbreak and I got sooo tired of dealing with that cat and mouse game. But to their credit (Apple's), they did incorporate many many jailbreak features now baked into iOS thru out the years. (To no credit of the original developers, no less.)
f.lux (NightShift) was originally an iOS only tweak/app. The way notifications have evolved as well.

Anyway, way off topic here. Enjoy the new phone(s), all!

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Though I don't have a part in this race, the stove top on the back looks a lot less dumb with the coloring around the cameras matching the rest of the phone. The weird piece of glass is still weird and unnecessary, though.

And given this is the third year of them using the same form factor, I'm thinking the notch is either leaving or changing shape next year.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
iPhone 4 will be 10 years old in 2020.

Hoping for a major design change. Steve was so proud of the 4's design.

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
since ios now support external thumbdrive (IIRC), what solution do you guys use for lightning to usb?

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be getting the based iphone 11. The camera on iphone 11 Pro is seriously state of the art shits.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
iPhone 4 will be 10 years old in 2020.

Hoping for a major design change. Steve was so proud of the 4's design.
They should go back to the iPhone 5 design next year, but bigger & with the slim bezels of today. If Apple ganked the front of the One Plus 7 Pro, made it the size of the 11 Pro, but designed like the iPhone 5, I'd probably struggle to not buy it.

Apple Pay would probably suffer, but whatever.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Any impressions of Night Mode yet?

I found it strange how little they showed of it during the keynote. It's a pretty big new feature and something I've been really waiting for since the Pixel and some Huawei phones introduced their night modes.

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any impressions of Night Mode yet?

I found it strange how little they showed of it during the keynote. It's a pretty big new feature and something I've been really waiting for since the Pixel and some Huawei phones introduced their night modes.

Ditto on this. There's only a single photo as far as I can tell. Seems like they should be talking about it waaaaay more. It's a huge selling point for me.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The 256 GB max model is nearly $2000 CAD w/ tax before Apple Care. It's just too much.

Even if it was $1000 the OnePlus 7 Pro would still be better.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
What is the actual resolution of the LCD screen though?

Just saying "HD" isn't inspiring at all. 720p is considered "HD" but it's an absolute dogshit resolution...

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Ditto on this. There's only a single photo as far as I can tell. Seems like they should be talking about it waaaaay more. It's a huge selling point for me.
I'm completely torn between upgrading or sticking with my X for one more year until the big redesign in 2020. A competitive Night Mode would probably push me to get one this year.

The low-key presence of Night Mode during the keynote felt off. I've watched these keynotes for many years now and usually Apple spends a lot of time on new features where they think they have outclassed the competition. Especially with the camera. While that one picture they showed during the keynote looked good, it wasn't as impressive (yet?) as some of that dark magic Android phones have been pulling off with computational night photography.

I watched a hands-on video on the Verge just now and the reporter mentioned that "Night Mode isn't here yet" on the hands-on units. Maybe it's still in Beta or they locked it since the room is well-lit. Guess we'll find out in a week or so from reviews.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It's too much for you. Stick with your current phone
It's too much money when it has an already outdated design and it's missing one of the most important features of 2019 phones, high refresh rate. I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone buy it instead of waiting for next year which will most likely fix both of these issues.

Blitz

Oct 29, 2017
not much of an upgraded this year but that is a good thing. Easier for me to wait 1-2 more years for an upgrade.