• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

📱?

• iPhone 11

Votes: 224 11.6%
  • iPhone 11 Pro

Votes: 251 13.0%
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max

Votes: 311 16.1%
  • Pass

Votes: 1,148 59.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't listen to that, what they say?

I was gonna transcribe the segment but I ain't got time for that.

Basically, it's automatic. You can't switch to Night Mode manually. It shows you how long the exposure is going to be, for example 3 seconds. So you know to hold still for three seconds to capture the best photo. It will also use the motion sensors to detect if you're holding it in your hand or not, and if it's on something like a tripod, you can extend the capture even longer, think 30 seconds to one minute to really get those shots.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I was gonna transcribe the segment but I ain't got time for that.

Basically, it's automatic. You can't switch to Night Mode manually. It shows you how long the exposure is going to be, for example 3 seconds. So you know to hold still for three seconds to capture the best photo. It will also use the motion sensors to detect if you're holding it in your hand or not, and if it's on something like a tripod, you can extend the capture even longer, think 30 seconds to one minute to really get those shots.

Thanks!

Will be interesting to see the reviews on this and how it compares to the other players in the field like the P30 Pro.

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So does the regular 11 have the damage protection stuff? Don't get it, the Pro video went over it. If it does, that's pretty rad and a big deal for me. I don't care about the camera.

Gets the increased water protection, in the trailer it showed the phone going through rigorous drop conditions as well so I assume so.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! Sounds like they were shown the feature in action with more examples that looked impressive to them. I'd like to have manual control over the feature, but now I'm cautiously optimistic.

There's also another image on the Apple Website that wasn't shown during the keynote:
nightmodeipkxy.jpg
Apple said:
Night mode comes on automatically when needed — say, in a candlelit restaurant. When you tap the shutter, the camera takes multiple images while optical image stabilization steadies the lens.

Then the camera software goes to work. It aligns images to correct for movement. It discards the sections with too much blur and fuses sharper ones. It adjusts contrast so everything stays in balance. It fine-tunes colors so they look natural. Then it intelligently de-noises and enhances details to produce the final image.

It all adds up to night shots that stand apart — with more detail, less noise, and an authentic sense of time and place.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Wide angle lens is the main reason I used my Momentum case and phone lenses.
No need anymore!

But I'll wait for 2020.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
I have an X and am typically driven to phone upgrades primarily for new and better cameras, so I am thinking of getting on board for that Pro Max. Night mode looks like what I would expect from the Pixel, so it's a very tempting upgrade. Any hope of journalists getting hands on impressions before preorders go live?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Processors on flagships dont matter. By that, I mean you have so much power that even if it were 20 or 30% faster, you wouldn't notice anyway.

Well I'm more thinking longevity before it starts getting unbearably laggy. And where apple decides to stop supporting it (iOS 13 won't support my 6. But my 6 lasted 5 years before that point).

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably going to stick with my 7+. Don't really care about the camera and the 7+ is plenty fast. Maybe next year.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love my iPad Pro, but just can't justify making a switch to an iPhone. I was actively considering it but was underwhelmed by the leaks which turned out to be mostly right. S10+ purchase vindicated.

Really wish Apple tried crazier things. This is year 3 of iterative enhancements.
What crazy things is the S10+ doing? That's what I don't understand, people keep saying that Apple is just making small changes every year, what big changes has Samsung made this year compared to last?

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only have the one card on my phone so if I hover my phone over a point of sale it autodetects and opens wallet on that card, this way I just hover and fingerprint. It sounds like you're saying if I open my phone then open wallet it'll pre-approve a tap? Am I reading that right? If so that's not that bad at all.
It's easier than that, you pull out your phone, double press the side button, Face ID will recognise you and then you just present the phone to the reader.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I have an X and am typically driven to phone upgrades primarily for new and better cameras, so I am thinking of getting on board for that Pro Max. Night mode looks like what I would expect from the Pixel, so it's a very tempting upgrade. Any hope of journalists getting hands on impressions before preorders go live?
Yes the journalists reports/reviews always go out on the Tuesday before the Friday release.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like they got rid of the X/XS/XS Max models on their site and are only offering the 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max/XR/8. Says only available from authorized resellers from the models not listed. I see what you're doing Apple lol

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
When comparing the line-up here and trying to finalize my decision, I stumbled on an interesting gap/observation about the 2019 iphone line -

11 starts at $700 for 64GB and a 6.1'' screen
11 Pro starts at $1000 for 64GB and a 5.8'' screen. (plus the OLED, third lens, other tech)

Simple enough so far. But the base 11 actually has a smaller HD upgrade for just $50 - the 11 w/ 128 GB for $750.

The 11 Pro doesn't offer this. It jumps up to $1150 for 256GB.

The Pro - while pretty fucking nice (dat screen) I don't think quite stacks up. The $750 iPhone 11 features double the storage of the $1000 Pro, not to mention the bigger screen (which isn't OLED and doesn't feature HDR but it's still no slouch).

I think that helped me make up my mind. Last details I'm curious about is whether the "Textured matte glass" featured in only the Pro is actually a real thing, or if it's just Apple Speak.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I went from the 3GS to a iPhone 6, I just hope this thing can hold out another year because the 11 doesn't look exciting at all.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Wait does it mean the X/XS/XSMax model has been discontinued. Their absence form the lineup and IPhone 8 presence is baffling

Yes, the X was actually discontinued only 10 months after it hit retail stores. It launched at retail in November 2017 and was discontinued in September 2018. Making it the iPhone that was actually on the market for the shortest time.

And now the XS & XS Max are discontinued.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow sales must've been bad. No wonder Iphone 11 seems so good

The X sold like mad.

What it is is a new strategy. Keep the "regular" (XR, 11) phone around for the following year, but make sure the "Pro" level (X, XS) is always fresh and new. That way you never have to give up your $1000 price point

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So can you now take Portraits with the ultrawide, normal and telephoto lens on the Pro?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the ultrawide lens has no OIS, so I guess that could be a relatively safe bet for next year as well

Also I need somebody to check if they finally included a video format setting in the new "Pro" stock camera app hehe

So can you now take Portraits with the ultrawide, normal and telephoto lens on the Pro?
The site says "With three cameras working together, you can fit more in your portraits than ever.", so probably.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
It's not really clear to me - is the 11's screen as good or better than the X? That would be the deciding factor in an upgrade for me, I think.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Any manufacturers make pretty good minimalist cases? I'd like something that goes rugged around the edges of the phone but doesn't really obscure the front and back design of the phone.

I also know 11 cases aren't quite on sale yet, but just wondering if there were any manufacturers that made cases that fit the bill for XS/XR.

Want solid drop protection on the edges, enough of a lift/buffer to prevent wobble from the camera module, and show off front/back.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Trade-in prices are pretty solid. They give $600 off if you trade in an XS Max.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I'm guessing so too. I just looked at the Super Retina XDR monitor on the Apple website and that doesn't have 120Hz refresh rate either.
Well, the monitor is 6K and needs to be connected with a cable that is already saturated (as the USB-C hub only supports 2.0 speeds). 120Hz without aggressive chroma subsampling is not possible on that.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really clear to me - is the 11's screen as good or better than the X? That would be the deciding factor in an upgrade for me, I think.
It's worse

That said, the 11 is by far the best value Apple currently offers, especially since its debuting for $50 less than the XR did a years ago (and that was already a great phone).

$699 starting for an iPhone 11 is very good value, assuming screen is fine with you (and just go look at the thing in person, the screen is more than fine). Being able to go up $50 to bump up to 128gb only sweetens the deal.

Last edited:

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
The X sold like mad.

What it is is a new strategy. Keep the "regular" (XR, 11) phone around for the following year, but make sure the "Pro" level (X, XS) is always fresh and new. That way you never have to give up your $1000 price point
Alright that seems great. Using an 8 was thinking of upgrading to a 11plain but want to see the 11/R type phone for next year before jumping especially if the price is similar

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Correct

I just saw the ultrawide lens has no OIS, so I guess that could be a relatively safe bet for next year as well

Also I need somebody to check if they finally included a video format setting in the new "Pro" stock camera app hehe

It does not

Is it just me or does white color of the iPhone 11 looks some kind of eggshell white?

It looks different, yes. I was thinking more creamy but eggshell is a better description

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
It's worse

That said, the 11 is by far the best value Apple currently offers, especially since its debuting for $50 less than the XR did a years ago (and that was already a great phone).

$699 starting for an iPhone 11 is very good value, assuming screen is fine with you (and just go look at the thing in person, the screen is more than fine). Being able to go up $50 to bump up to 128gb only sweetens the deal.
Highly agree
11 just like the XR is good value

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
Gotta need confirmation for that.

MKHD said that the regular 11 can now take portraits of pets and other items unlike the Xr. It's funny how they're starting to lock out more and more software features that could be well implemented in older models easily.

Curious to see if the updated camera app interface (holding the shutter button to record video etc.) is present on older iPhones.