• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

📱?

• iPhone 11

Votes: 224 11.6%
  • iPhone 11 Pro

Votes: 251 13.0%
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max

Votes: 311 16.1%
  • Pass

Votes: 1,148 59.4%

• Total voters

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone done the 0% APR payments from Apple for a new phone? I'm assuming you can make more than the minimum payments if you want.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
so XR had the best iPhone battery life ever last year, right?

Is the normal 11 the new champ? or do the Pros outclass it this year?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone done the 0% APR payments from Apple for a new phone? I'm assuming you can make more than the minimum payments if you want.

this is what I'm wondering? I want to sell my wife's 8 and make the first monthly payment ~$350 (or whatever it sells for), then have ~$15/month payments after that. Not sure if you can do that though.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I never changed it, but it just pulled the suggested monthly payment over 2 years from my account. I think this is the default for it.
Thanks. I guess I could call Apple's support and see if they can tell me.
this is what I'm wondering? I want to sell my wife's 8 and make the first monthly payment ~$350 (or whatever it sells for), then have ~$15/month payments after that. Not sure if you can do that though.
Yeah, I have the money to pay it in full, but I'd prefer to spread it out over a few months instead of dropping it all at once.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Neither has anybody else, technology is fairly stagnant these days.

Not true, apple just doesnt care about innovating anymore.
- Samsung: first galaxy foldable phone / tablet
- You can use your phone as a PC, when connected to a monitor it has a desktop and everything
- Google Night Mode which is purely software based
- Huawei crazy zoom camera
- Samsung has more 5G patents than any other company
- OnePlus 7: QHD Display with 90hz refresh rate

Exactly this. These other companies are surprisingly now pushing the envelope.

And Apple is of course going to be promoting things like FaceID now, but I guarantee once they figure out how to do In screen TouchID, they will find a way to make it seem like it's something new, even years later.

Anyway, my point is I want Apple to sell me something that's going to be enticing. I love my iPad Pro. It blows away the competition because frankly there isn't any. But when it comes to phones, I just can't settle with an iPhone that's still using a lightning cable or is mostly a 3 year old design.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly this. These other companies are surprisingly now pushing the envelope.

Yeah but if you're comparing the best of four companies over five phones it's kind of... ok, sure, give me that phone. But none of them actually are that phone.

Like Apple are rarely first, but they're usually the closest to best thought out. Like Night Sight Mode. It's a thing you turn on with Android. With an iPhone 11 you take a photo in the dark, default settings, no messing around, and it comes out.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Is there any penalty or downside to not using my iUP preapproval? Getting some second thoughts about re-upping for another 2 years, considering how many "leaked" features didnt materialize this cycle, I'm starting to think 2020 isnt going to be the "super upgrade" we're all waiting for...and if that's the case, I'd be fine riding my Xs Max out until we get 5G(and ideally 90/120Hz).

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
My wife wants the new Pro Max whatever and we are going to trade in her phone after she gets the new phone.

What's our best option?

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
My case was delivered in less than 24 hrs from the end of the press conference lol. Insane.

8BnBU2Y.jpg
Yes! Mine too. It came today. I got the Pro Max leather case.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I guess I could call Apple's support and see if they can tell me.

Yeah, I have the money to pay it in full, but I'd prefer to spread it out over a few months instead of dropping it all at once.
You couldn't do this in the UK when I signed up with a 7 Plus (Trading in a 6 Plus). I wanted to put the money I received for my 6 towards the agreement but no dice. Fixed monthly payments with no option to place a larger deposit.

I don't know if its any different in the US, it might be. I think it largely depends on the credit company Apple use for the agreement. Back then for me it was with Hitachi but I see now they are partnered with Barclays. Best thing to do would be to contact Support and ask.

Mar 9, 2019
Not true, apple just doesnt care about innovating anymore.
- Samsung: first galaxy foldable phone / tablet
- You can use your phone as a PC, when connected to a monitor it has a desktop and everything
- Google Night Mode which is purely software based
- Huawei crazy zoom camera
- Samsung has more 5G patents than any other company
- OnePlus 7: QHD Display with 90hz refresh rate

Did you just pull all of this outta your ass ?

1. And it failed horribly
2. No one but nerds care about using a phone as a pc
3. Apples night mode is hardware / software based which is better over just software
4. Huewei , Nokia and than Samsung for patents
5. That's because it's OLED Samsung did nothing

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
My wife wants the new Pro Max whatever and we are going to trade in her phone after she gets the new phone.

What's our best option?

Buying directly from Apple is probably the easiest and they give decent money for the phones. They'll send you the new phone and a box to trade the old phone in with so you don't need to be without a phone during the trade in process. If you want plain cash you can use Gazelle and they'll give pretty good numbers but not as much as Apple seems to be offering this time around.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is my first time getting pre approval for an iphone and actually joining the upgrade program. I just log in on the app Friday morning right? Do I have to be insanely fast to get the phone on release day? I read somewhere I can change colors if I want to (I'm honestly kind of digging the green the more I look at it).

Log in starting at 5 AM PST. It's insanely fast if you keep the color you have (it only takes two taps). If you change your mind I would message Apple support and cancel that reservation and do a new one for the new color, since doing it at 5 AM is going to slow you down a lot, if you want it as close to launch as possible

Did the math and the iPhone Upgrade Program works out almost exactly to what I spend on a new phone, factoring in the resale of my previous one (but obviously without the hassle of having to sell it myself).

Anyone know how quick the in-store process is? Want to pop in during lunch tomorrow when orders open.

No doing it in-store until they actually come out on the 20th. Online orders only until then.

Quick question!

I have an 8 Plus and am interested in the 11 Pro Max. My upgrade program has around $200 left (got my current phone in April of 2017). Can I go into the store, turn in my 8+ and get the new phone for $0, essentially zeroing out my current balance?

Thanks.

Who is your current program with? Purchased April 2017 but having $200 left on it means you're paying through your carrier, correct?

Wife wants iPhone 11.

She has an 8 which looks like I could get around $350 from Swappa (Apple only gives $220 trade in).

The 8 is originally from Verizon but we switched to T-Mobile since.

If I buy through Apple, can I make my first monthly payment $350, and then after that just do whatever it works out to per month for the remaining 23 months?

Basically trying to figure out if I should buy through Apple or through T-Mobile.

Technically yes, but ONLY if you do iPhone Payments, NOT the upgrade program. iPhone Payments allows you to put down a down payment and change the monthly price, iUP does not. Both are financed through Apple, both are 24 months, but one doesn't include AppleCare or an early upgrade, but you can shift down the monthly price with either a trade-in or down payment.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Technically yes, but ONLY if you do iPhone Payments, NOT the upgrade program. iPhone Payments allows you to put down a down payment and change the monthly price, iUP does not. Both are financed through Apple, both are 24 months, but one doesn't include AppleCare or an early upgrade, but you can shift down the monthly price with either a trade-in or down payment.
That's good to know, iPhone Payments is my plan, not the upgrade program.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Apple's had high refresh rate screens on the iPad Pro for years. Kinda weird it hasn't trickled down to their phones yet.
The iPad Pro uses an LCD screen, whereas the more expensive iPhones use OLED. We're only just now starting to see high refresh rate OLED screens on phones.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Buying directly from Apple is probably the easiest and they give decent money for the phones. They'll send you the new phone and a box to trade the old phone in with so you don't need to be without a phone during the trade in process. If you want plain cash you can use Gazelle and they'll give pretty good numbers but not as much as Apple seems to be offering this time around.
Thanks.

That's the option we are going to go for.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding iPhone upgrade plan. I understand you have to pay the full amount of tax at time of purchase.

However, what if I'm purchasing the phone from a tax free state in store? Will I avoid the tax like usual?

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
iPhone Upgrade Programme is only available in-store. Pre-orders through it start tomorrow 1pm.

What? No no no. Not in the US. US people please ignore this advice. iUP is available through the Apple Store app from 5AM PST/8AM EST tomorrow. Prequalification has already started so you can get your carrier and loan approved and then at order opening one tap and your order is made.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but if you're comparing the best of four companies over five phones it's kind of... ok, sure, give me that phone. But none of them actually are that phone.

Like Apple are rarely first, but they're usually the closest to best thought out. Like Night Sight Mode. It's a thing you turn on with Android. With an iPhone 11 you take a photo in the dark, default settings, no messing around, and it comes out.
You also get to see what happening in real time in the viewfinder too, a lot of the photo stuff on Pixel is take a photo and find out how it looks after, there is no real time preview of portrait mode or night sight on the pixels.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I think if you are planning to pre order the regular 11, I would get your shit sorted like now. Depending on where and how you want to upgrade, i would start searching around for what you need to do. Like if you are going to pre order through your carrier, make sure anything you have to pay off is paid off, make sure you can upgrade and find out what their pre order page is going to be like. If its through Apple I would look at getting pre approved now so in case you run into any issues with your application or credit inquiries. I think the XR was the best selling iphone last year and the 11 looks like a slick deal with the same chip, better camera and bigger display than the 11 pro. It will for sure sell quickly. The 11 pro series will probably go slower depending on storage sizes and colors(I bet the green 11 pro will go fast). So for those 11 buyers get ready today.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what I read, carriers sometimes offer a buy one get one deal when switching carriers,

Has anybody done that? I would sell the second phone to pay off the 1st one

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Did you just pull all of this outta your ass ?

1. And it failed horribly
2. No one but nerds care about using a phone as a pc
3. Apples night mode is hardware / software based which is better over just software
4. Huewei , Nokia and than Samsung for patents
5. That's because it's OLED Samsung did nothing

did you really just say "no one but nerds" on a gaming forum? Get over yourself.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who is your current program with? Purchased April 2017 but having $200 left on it means you're paying through your carrier, correct?
I'm on the Apple Upgrade program. I actually downloaded the store app and did a little research on this. I'll be turning my 8+ in next week and getting an 11 Pro Max.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Can you preorder and do a trade-in credit at the same time?

edit: yes

Last edited:

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Looks better than a lot of the Night Sight pics, least it's still looks like it's night time, some of the Google ones look like it's day time.

No way to determine that from this one random photo on Twitter. Also "Don't ask how I got this phone!" says model with millions of followers. We know you got it from Apple.

T-Mobile looks to have some good trade in deals...

T-Mobile chat told me this morning they are officially announcing stuff tomorrow morning at 8 AM.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm assuming if I buy the phone unlocked from Apple, I can just activate it with AT&T myself?

edit: This is annoying. If you're buying unlocked, you can't do the payment plan. And I'm still on my parent's plan. They don't have their physical address on their account, and Apple won't ship to PO boxes. Son of a gun.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Can you preorder to pick up in store without paying upfront? I'd want to convert to iUP I store (lol UK peasant)

Also red or black? Black will hide bezels but red is pretty. Would have gone yellow if it was the same shade as XR..