• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

📱?

• iPhone 11

Votes: 224 11.6%
  • iPhone 11 Pro

Votes: 251 13.0%
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max

Votes: 311 16.1%
  • Pass

Votes: 1,148 59.4%

• Total voters

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Been using the 11P for a few days now and I'm absolutely loving it. The battery life alone is worth the premium, the added peace of mind it gives me is something I haven't had in quite some time.

The camera array is a massive personal disappointment for me coming from the world of mirrorless cameras and big lenses but it's still a quantum leap upgrade over my 6+.

Right now the only thing I struggle with on a regular basis is re-arranging the icons on the homescreen. This feature is probably the least responsive and most frustrating it's ever been.

Oct 28, 2017
It's not magic but it is doing more than just a long exposure. It's at least one long exposure plus shorter exposures blended together. I think it must handle some camera/subject movement and try to stitch back together
I said l earlier that it's don't some computation. Still won't save you if you have a moving subject, which was my point.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Order in and picking up today at 5. Went with the 11. Going to be a big upgrade for me coming from the 7.

I do wish Space Grey was available. Always been my favorite finish.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
The screen is a marvel to look at, I love it. Sound is really, really good too. TIP for those who might not know this old trick: go under Settings > Music > Equalizer > Late Night. For whatever reason, this setting works even better now with the iPhone 11. From loudness to clarity and spatiality, you will be pleased with the result.

Battery is insane. After a couple of days, screen, sound and battery are just as satisfying upgrades as cameras. Great refinements all around.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't gotten my money back from pre-order cancellation and as luck would have it, every single store in the area ran out of stock over the weekend, so no idea when I'll get the phone after all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Man, should've just waited and gone out to buy it on Friday

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
The screen is a marvel to look at, I love it. Sound is really, really good too. TIP for those who might not know this old trick: go under Settings > Music > Equalizer > Late Night. For whatever reason, this setting works even better now with the iPhone 11. From loudness to clarity and spatiality, you will be pleased with the result.

Battery is insane. After a couple of days, screen, sound and battery are just as satisfying upgrades as cameras. Great refinements all around.
What does switching to the Late Night EQ do?

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Just upgraded from the 8+ to the 11. People say it's not that big of an upgrade from the previous year but for me it's gonna be a big jump.

Oct 26, 2017
Has this been posted yet? It compares nighttime shooting options across iPhone 11, Galaxy S10, OnePlus 6T, and Pixel 3 XL:

It gets hyperbolic at times, like calling Google's Night Sight "amateurish" in comparison to Apple's Night Mode, but the author details how he came to those conclusions (night shots that picked up stars his eyes could barely make out, for instance) and gives some example pics.
The only really clear winner I saw was this one:
iphone-11-night-mode-vs-frame-100811658-orig.jpg

L to R: iPhone, Pixel, Galaxy, OnePlus

As he notes, the Pixel 4 is coming soon, so rankings could change. Still, it's impressive to come from zero to at or near the top like this.

Aurongel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You were really expecting big-camera performance from a phone?
I didn't say that, nor did I expect that 🤷‍♀️.

I understand full well that these phones are bound by physical limitations when it comes to the types of optics/performance they can realistically muster. But what I didn't expect was that the post-processing applied to them was as aggressive as it ended up being. I can see sharpening artifacts and highlight/edge glow on many photos I've taken even when zoomed completely out. The result looks a lot closer to bad HDR filters than something I'd call "natural looking". The processing engine can clearly recognize foliage and human hair and liberally places a sharpening filter masked over these parts of the image in a way that really sticks out against certain less-complex backgrounds. This is clearly evident in any photos involving hair/foliage in front of something more plain like the sky or a blank wall.

I think these phones are desperately in need of another sensor on the rear array to help gather genuine depth information from a scene rather than trying to interpolate it from a series of 2D images. Portrait mode for example is incredibly hit or miss and regularly misinterprets the boundaries between foreground and background.

In contrast, night mode shooting works much more reliably and I find the post-processing used there to be far more conservative.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say that, nor did I expect that 🤷‍♀️.

I understand full well that these phones are bound by physical limitations when it comes to the types of optics/performance they can realistically muster. But what I didn't expect was that the post-processing applied to them was as aggressive as it ended up being. I can see sharpening artifacts and highlight/edge glow on many photos I've taken even when zoomed completely out. The result looks a lot closer to bad HDR filters than something I'd call "natural looking". The processing engine can clearly recognize foliage and human hair and liberally places a sharpening filter masked over these parts of the image in a way that really sticks out against certain less-complex backgrounds. This is clearly evident in any photos involving hair/foliage in front of something more plain like the sky or a blank wall.

I think these phones are desperately in need of another sensor on the rear array to help gather genuine depth information from a scene rather than trying to interpolate it from a series of 2D images. Portrait mode for example is incredibly hit or miss and regularly misinterprets the boundaries between foreground and background.

In contrast, night mode shooting works much more reliably and I find the post-processing used there to be far more conservative.

You could disable Smart HDR in the settings and give it a go.

I'm kind of comforted by how flawed portrait mode is on close inspection. Makes me feel better about still owning a DSLR.

Gibbs

Oct 25, 2017
West Virginia
Just upgraded from the 8+ to the 11. People say it's not that big of an upgrade from the previous year but for me it's gonna be a big jump.

I went from the 7 to XR last year and the jump for me was huge admittedly. I expect you to be wowed honestly. It took me a while to get over the fingerprint unlock but FaceID is fantastic.

Enjoy your new phone! I'm debating if I want to upgrade to the base model 11... but my XR is paid off(I paid in full through apple.com) and honestly I don't see anything wrong with my phone to warrant it.... yet.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't used an iPhone since the very first after upgrading from a Razer flip phone lol. Real tempted to get the 11 Pro, currently on the Galaxy S8. Love the look of these but my battery is real disappointing. At 51% after 3 hours of moderate use.

Feb 1, 2018

Yeah, the AI/machine-learning post-processing effects are a definitely too aggressive but that's the (unfortunate) direction the industry is headed in. It's the only way they can make up for those physical limitations, by doubling down on computational photography.

It would be nice if iOS's camera app had a "pro mode" that doesn't have any of the effects on and you can manually adjust everything. There's lots of apps that do this already.

Gibbs

Oct 25, 2017
West Virginia
Haven't used an iPhone since the very first after upgrading from a Razer flip phone lol. Real tempted to get the 11 Pro, currently on the Galaxy S8. Love the look of these but my battery is real disappointing. At 51% after 3 hours of moderate use.

I went from iPhone 6s to a Galaxy s8 and LOVED IT! The S8 was soooo good but battery life was why I left. The S10 has better from what I'm hearing, and the S10 Plus has incredible battery life... but I will admit my iPhone XR battery last me an entire day and thats a huge win.

All in all, research and find what makes you happy... Galaxy is a solid choice and with the S10 Plus battery life, but the newer iphones battery life is also significantly better.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I went from iPhone 6s to a Galaxy s8 and LOVED IT! The S8 was soooo good but battery life was why I left. The S10 has better from what I'm hearing, and the S10 Plus has incredible battery life... but I will admit my iPhone XR battery last me an entire day and thats a huge win.

All in all, research and find what makes you happy... Galaxy is a solid choice and with the S10 Plus battery life, but the newer iphones battery life is also significantly better.
Battery life and camera quality are the two main things I'm looking for this time around. And honestly it would be interesting to see how things have changed after all this time since iPhone 1. And that series 5 apple watch appeals to me. The worse voice assistant, maps app, teething problems with Google/YouTube playback restrictions and lack of customization are the things giving me pause. Shopping for phones is a bit of a headache.

Gibbs

Oct 25, 2017
West Virginia
Battery life and camera quality are the two main things I'm looking for this time around. And honestly it would be interesting to see how things have changed after all this time since iPhone 1. And that series 5 apple watch appeals to me. The worse voice assistant, maps app, teething problems with Google/YouTube playback restrictions and lack of customization are the things giving me pause. Shopping for phones is a bit of a headache.

I will argue that Galaxy and IPhone both have their pros and cons with the camera. Now, I feel the galaxy series takes waaaay better night photos, but for normal pictures and such I feel its neck and neck, one may do better here and there but I feel they are equal for the most part. I think iPhone takes way better selfies. Remember this is just my opinion from researching/testing this myself.

Now I will agree that Google Assistant is leaps and bounds better than Siri, which is why I downloaded the app on my iPhone and use it over Siri. I use Google Maps, Waze, and Apple Maps, and I prefer Apple Maps. Though you can download Google Maps on iPhone so its a win/win depending on preference.

The lack of customization is the main problem I have with iPhone and I hate... HATE iTunes with a passion. All in all I love shopping for phones but both have their pros and cons, and I feel you can't go wrong with either choice.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've never downloaded digital 4K+HDR movies before owning the 11 Pro but dang they are big. They take up just a little more storage than what I estimate my average Switch game download size to be. 9-ish GB for the few that I own, which are all redeemed from UHD discs I've bought.

I got the 256GB storage specifically to go nuts with media downloads though! But that's still bigger than I thought. Blade Runner 2049 is a whopping 12GB with its long run time.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I've never downloaded digital 4K+HDR movies before owning the 11 Pro but dang they are big. They take up just a little more storage than what I estimate my average Switch game download size to be. 9-ish GB for the few that I own, which are all redeemed from UHD discs I've bought.

I got the 256GB storage specifically to go nuts with media downloads though! But that's still bigger than I thought. Blade Runner 2049 is a whopping 12GB with its long run time.
Yeah, I decided to wait for a deal on the 11 Pro Max 256GB. 64GB is just not enough anymore. Unfortunately its 1300€ in Germany.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
so because you assume all of us want a big screen you missed that if you want a smaller screen you gotta pay at least 300 more for a pro.
I'm not assuming anything. Its just the tactic of upselling. If you want a better screen and more than 64gb, you have to pay 1300€ for the 11 Pro. Thats 450€ more than the 128gb 11.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Visibility is really good for the screen in bright daylight

Has this been posted yet? It compares nighttime shooting options across iPhone 11, Galaxy S10, OnePlus 6T, and Pixel 3 XL:

It gets hyperbolic at times, like calling Google's Night Sight "amateurish" in comparison to Apple's Night Mode, but the author details how he came to those conclusions (night shots that picked up stars his eyes could barely make out, for instance) and gives some example pics.
The only really clear winner I saw was this one:
iphone-11-night-mode-vs-frame-100811658-orig.jpg

L to R: iPhone, Pixel, Galaxy, OnePlus

As he notes, the Pixel 4 is coming soon, so rankings could change. Still, it's impressive to come from zero to at or near the top like this.
Using the OnePlus 6T instead of the 7 Pro which actually has night mode made for it is bizarre

Aurongel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You could disable Smart HDR in the settings and give it a go.

I'm kind of comforted by how flawed portrait mode is on close inspection. Makes me feel better about still owning a DSLR.
Appreciate the feedback, I'll give that a try. I'm not against these phones using HDR techniques to get the proper exposure out of contrasty situations (like the sky). I just think their implementation leaves a lot to be desired when their edge detection and HDR algorithm creates these god awful late 2000's HDR halos.

Also, I'm glad you mentioned the DSLR thing 😅. After I saw how spotty the edge detection and general post processing was I breathed a sigh of relief and felt somewhat better about my recent $1500 upgrade to the Canon EOS R :lol...

Yeah, the AI/machine-learning post-processing effects are a definitely too aggressive but that's the (unfortunate) direction the industry is headed in. It's the only way they can make up for those physical limitations, by doubling down on computational photography.

It would be nice if iOS's camera app had a "pro mode" that doesn't have any of the effects on and you can manually adjust everything. There's lots of apps that do this already.
At some point I think these cameras are going to bump up against the hard issue of these sensors/lenses not being able to gather useful information past a certain point. The megapixel count for example is limited by how much light can be captured by each photon cell. Hence why very few of these sensors go above 12MP (which is smart). Even sensor tech like BSI won't be enough to overcome a lot of the optical shortcomings these things will inevitably run into.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
I got my iPhone 11 Pro on Friday and really liking it so far. Battery life seems great and camera is top notch.

I am having an issue though... when I hook it up to my car (which only has rudimentary iPod support) via USB, all of the sound comes out sounding super distorted. Anyone know a fix?

Dec 23, 2017
I think the iPhones starting with the X have had an underrated design. I usually keep a case but really thinking I'm doing no case or a very thin case on my 11. The phones looks so good and feel so good naked. What kind of experiences have people have going #nocase

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I went from the 7 to XR last year and the jump for me was huge admittedly. I expect you to be wowed honestly. It took me a while to get over the fingerprint unlock but FaceID is fantastic.

Enjoy your new phone! I'm debating if I want to upgrade to the base model 11... but my XR is paid off(I paid in full through apple.com) and honestly I don't see anything wrong with my phone to warrant it.... yet.
Switching apps and taking screenshots is definitely a change. I am liking Face ID to unlock my phone though. It's so quick I don't even have to think about it.

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
I think the iPhones starting with the X have had an underrated design. I usually keep a case but really thinking I'm doing no case or a very thin case on my 11. The phones looks so good and feel so good naked. What kind of experiences have people have going #nocase
I'm 90% no case. Sometimes I'll use one when traveling or something, but you're right: the phone feels so goddamn good. Swiping from the rounded sides of the phone with no case on is super smooth, you get the carefully calibrated clickiness of the buttons without obstruction, and on the 11 Pro, that matte back is so nice. It deserves to be free.