• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

📱?

• iPhone 11

Votes: 224 11.6%
  • iPhone 11 Pro

Votes: 251 13.0%
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max

Votes: 311 16.1%
  • Pass

Votes: 1,148 59.4%

• Total voters

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
A little bit of advice required.

Should I get a new iPhone? I've had an iPhone 7 since launch, and I've been without WiFi and BT functionality since March. I'm moving back to Japan (that's where I got it), and I'm wondering whether it's worth fixing it...or getting a new phone.

Been unemployed for almost a year, so hadn't fixed it prior.

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
This is one of the first times I have felt very comfortable passing on the new iPhone. Granted I have last year's model and would've passed no matter what innovations the new one had...this time it feels easier than usual.

I look forward to the 2020 5G model with 5 cameras.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Should I get a new iPhone? I've had an iPhone 7 since launch, and I've been without WiFi and BT functionality since March. I'm moving back to Japan (that's where I got it), and I'm wondering whether it's worth fixing it...or getting a new phone.

Broken Wifi warrants getting a new phone for sure. However if you're unemployed and moving soon you should be buying the cheapest viable phone, not the latest iPhone. I'd consider an iPhone 8 when the price drop hits in a couple weeks.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

If you're poor buy a used older model for cheapo from iosys or something.

funroll-loops

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah this looks pretty unappealing to me. It looks like Apple is playing the same game with the camera lenses they do with the storage tiers: if you buy the iPhone not-Pro you get an ultra niche 14mm and a rather empty looking camera bump to remind you that you should have bought the Pro. And unless you buy the Pro you also get the prehistoric LCD screen. I guess I'm holding onto my 7 for another year.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I have the XS Max but now I'm tempted to trade up and I'm perfectly happy with my phone. Dammit 🍎 marketing!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Aren't there various reports in the past that these "taken on x phone" photographs have generally been taken using DSLR hardware/lenses? If so, I'd take these photos with a grain of salt.

Portrait mode was hyped up a year or two ago and it looks terrible on my iPhone XS.
It's well established that they use extremely high end gear with the phone to achieve the quality of photo/video you see. It's all technically possible but you almost certainly won't get it looking that good. Some of the video footage appears like it was shot just by camera on it's own handheld, but at the very least it had a whole lot of work done in post. Which is at least somewhat more accessible to the average user.

Portrait mode can get really good results, but you and the subject need to stay very still and take multiple shots. If you're just trying to point and shoot quickly it almost always has issues.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm honestly wondering whether I want to upgrade from my X...

It's been a couple years but I'm not sure if I see anything from this years phones that justifies a new purchase.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I'm trying to understand the camera set up

I understand their purpose individually, but in an average shot, are all the lenses used and combined through software?

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I have a seven. I've replaced the battery but it's still not got great battery life.

Thinking about maybe an 11 but an XR is cheaper.

I like the idea of upgrading the camera, though.

Wish we had the headphone jack back.

I really should just get a much cheaper android phone. But switching is a going to be painful.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Will the pro end up retaining force touch? I'm considering switching from my XS Max to just regular Pro. Kind of want to go back to a SFF due to my size but am still deciding if I should or shouldn't.

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I have the XS Max but now I'm tempted to trade up and I'm perfectly happy with my phone. Dammit 🍎 marketing!

I feel your pain haha. Perfectly happy with my Max, even told myself I wouldn't upgrade this year. But got dang that Midnight Green... Also thinking I might want to switch to the smaller 11 Pro since I have an iPad for my big screen stuff now.

.... but I also know I'll upgrade next year if the rumors are true. This iPhone Upgrade Program is truly a curse!

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Will the pro end up retaining force touch? I'm considering switching from my XS Max to just regular Pro. Kind of want to go back to a SFF due to my size but am still deciding if I should or shouldn't.
If you mean 3D touch then nope it's gone but the 'haptic touch' replicates most of it I think.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Aren't there various reports in the past that these "taken on x phone" photographs have generally been taken using DSLR hardware/lenses? If so, I'd take these photos with a grain of salt.

Portrait mode was hyped up a year or two ago and it looks terrible on my iPhone XS.

none of Apples shots have ever been taken on a DSLR - I believe that was Samsung or one of the Chinese manufacturers.

Apple actually offered some of the original image files (from the 'shot on iphone' Campaign) for download on their site a while back, you could check the metadata etc. Sure, some of them are shot with extra hardware (lighting etc.) but they do always have legal disclaimers in their ads showing this, and they're certainly not the only company that does this. Even camera manufacturers do this.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If I were an X or XS owner, the only thing about the 11 Pro that would be tempting me is the apparent increase in battery life. Several more hours is huge in terms of day to day use for me.

Still on a 7 though. Curious to see how stupidly high local sellers are going to try to flip their used X or XS models for 🤔

ChristMustDie

Oct 26, 2017
After owning an iPhone XS Max since launch, I think I'm ready to drop the more expensive phones and drop down to the iPhone 11. The price difference between the 11 and the 11 Pro is insane, yet I can't understand the justification for it. Sure, OLED screens are expensive, and a third lens is nice, but it's not worth ÂŁ300+.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Midnight green looks soooooooooo good, I think I won't use a case this year

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Broken Wifi warrants getting a new phone for sure. However if you're unemployed and moving soon you should be buying the cheapest viable phone, not the latest iPhone. I'd consider an iPhone 8 when the price drop hits in a couple weeks.

If you're poor buy a used older model for cheapo from iosys or something.

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer. I'm moving to Japan because I got a job. Also I'm currently in Mozambique so the chances of getting any tech on the cheap here are minimal (except for the low-end phones).

I tend to use Apple devices, which is hard to maintain here. But I used to have a good job (and used to live in Japan) prior to coming back and trying to work in my home country again.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
The battery life is turning me on, I'm due for an upgrade, and I can sell my X for a good chunk of change...but I really don't need a new phone. Unless iOS 13 borks my current phone, I might just replace the battery. I never thought I'd say this, but getting a new phone right now feels oddly wasteful.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer. I'm moving to Japan because I got a job. Also I'm currently in Mozambique so the chances of getting any tech on the cheap here are minimal (except for the low-end phones).

I tend to use Apple devices, which is hard to maintain here. But I used to have a good job (and used to live in Japan) prior to coming back and trying to work in my home country again.
Gotcha. I'd say even then it's wise to avoid large purchases at the start of a new job since you never know how things will go. But if you have a strong savings then it's up to your judgement. Personally I'd still go for an XR or something.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
are the 11 colours similar to the XR or are they toned down? Had a look this lunchtime at the XRs in an Apple Store and the Yellow looks really nice

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Camera quality is very important to my wife. Screen quality not so much. Is the Pro a relevant jump in camera quality to make the $300 jump worth it alone?

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
My X is doing fine, going to wait for the redesign next year.

Yeah, my X still runs like a beast and doesn't have a single scratch or crack. If the next iPhone features USB-C, better battery life and much more, I'll consider upgrading next year, but it purely depends on the price. I'm almost certain next year's model will go up in price, so it all depends.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I care about the camera but honestly the one in my iPhone X is already so good. Apple will get me to upgrade when they make a large jump in screen quality like 90-120hz refresh rate.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the camera bump is any shallower, it just looks that way because the cameras are surrounded by the square of raised glass.

I was reading on I believe either Ars or Engadget and they mentioned that the main chassis of the 11 (not including the bump) is thicker than the entirety of the iPhone 6, and that the camera module consequently does not stick out as far as one would think.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's well established that they use extremely high end gear with the phone to achieve the quality of photo/video you see. It's all technically possible but you almost certainly won't get it looking that good. Some of the video footage appears like it was shot just by camera on it's own handheld, but at the very least it had a whole lot of work done in post. Which is at least somewhat more accessible to the average user.

Portrait mode can get really good results, but you and the subject need to stay very still and take multiple shots. If you're just trying to point and shoot quickly it almost always has issues.
True. It's also worth noting that a good photographer will just take better photos, no matter what hardware they're using. There's a reason there's a running joke of "all the cameras in the world on the back of a phone won't teach someone how to take a photo".

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I have a seven. I've replaced the battery but it's still not got great battery life.

Thinking about maybe an 11 but an XR is cheaper.

I like the idea of upgrading the camera, though.

Wish we had the headphone jack back.

I really should just get a much cheaper android phone. But switching is a going to be painful.

I went from a 7 to an XR and if you're main thing you want to see improvement in is battery, the XR is great.

I regularly get 2 days from it even a year later, I didn't even need to bring an external battery on the last trip I was on. Seriously great battery for a smartphone. The 11 battery is apparently even better, but personally I feel the XR is more than good enough. Camera will definitely be a nice upgrade on 11 though.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I went from a 7 to an XR and if you're main thing you want to see improvement in is battery, the XR is great.

I regularly get 2 days from it even a year later, I didn't even need to bring an external battery on the last trip I was on. Seriously great battery for a smartphone. The 11 battery is apparently even better, but personally I feel the XR is more than good enough. Camera will definitely be a nice upgrade on 11 though.
The size of the XR / 11 to me is the turnoff. XS / 11 Pro is more desirable.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Next phone I get I may save by getting smaller storage. Went all out on my XS Max with 256 GB and here I am a year later and only have used 40GB and as a father I have taken tons of photos and videos and as a gamer I have games downloaded.

Always wondered why people need all that space. Maybe it's just me lol, but good to see I can save a couple hundred bucks next time.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
The size of the XR / 11 to me is the turnoff. XS / 11 Pro is more desirable.

Yeah, I wish they'd swap the size of the 11 and 11 Pro, but the XR still isn't a huge phone like the Max so it's not a deal breaker for me. What is a dealbreaker to me is the prospect of paying $300 more for basically the same phone with a better screen and camera.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Next phone I get I may save by getting smaller storage. Went all out on my XS Max with 256 GB and here I am a year later and only have used 40GB and as a father I have taken tons of photos and videos and as a gamer I have games downloaded.
Similar situation. On a 64 GB XS, and only used 34 GB. All documents, music and photos live in the cloud. Family accounts for iCloud Drive and Apple Music does cost too, but, it works for us.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Always wondered why people need all that space. Maybe it's just me lol, but good to see I can save a couple hundred bucks next time.

I always wonder how people managed to put hundreds of gigs on their phone too.

I take a lot of pictures and after two years of never even thinking about storage I have 30+ gigs free on my 64gig iPhone 8.

I mean, streaming and cloud storage is popular for a reason. Aside from photos and apps I really have zero reason to store stuff locally.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
Honest question - why is USB-C charging such a big deal? Obviously people are begging for it and expecting it. I must be in the vast minority because I don't see what the big deal is.

I have half a dozen lightning chargers scattered around my house, and one in my car. I have one at work. I have an iPad Pro from a couple years ago that still has a lightning charger. I think the only thing in my whole life that charges on USB-C is my Switch Pro Controller.

Last edited:

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honest question - why is USB-C charging such a big deal? Obviously people are begging for it and expecting it. I must be in the vast minority because I don't see what the big deal is.

I have half a dozen lightning chargers scattered around my house, and one in my car. I have one at work. I had an iPad Pro from a couple years ago that still has a lightning charger. I think the only thing in my whole life that charges on USB-C is my Switch Pro Controller.

Mostly seems to be the handiness of having one charger/connector for all devices. No more juggling cables.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Gotcha. I'd say even then it's wise to avoid large purchases at the start of a new job since you never know how things will go. But if you have a strong savings then it's up to your judgement. Personally I'd still go for an XR or something.

That's what I was leaning towards, if I didn't have the option of fixing my current phone. I assume that replacing the applicable parts end up costing just as much as a new phone?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Music on my phone, video on my iPad.

Use Amazon Music for my music needs and I download the songs I listen to most of the time. That's included in my 40GB number. Not sure why I'd download video though since I can stream with unlimited data plan.

iPad may be different for video if you want to watch offline or something but I'm strictly talking about iPhones here. I just don't see a need for the 256GB I wasted money on. In fact I'm not even sure I would have needed 128GB.

Got two of these phones between myself and my wife and a year later I see it as a complete waste of ~$500+tax. Next time I'll just get the 64GB and spend $1/month for 50GB of iCloud or something.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Nice of Apple to join the party with night mode and wide angle lens. It'll be interesting to see how night mode compares to the other flagships coming out later this year

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I have half a dozen lightning chargers scattered around my house, and one in my car. I have one at work. I had an iPad Pro from a couple years ago that still has a lightning charger. I think the only thing in my whole life that charges on USB-C is my Switch Pro Controller.
in theory usbc is an option for a legit unified connector and most non iOS devices have adopted it.

It has a few drawbacks certainly it's receptacle is bigger than lightning and power delivery is a bit of a shit show in terms of bad implementations.

Usb4 may address those.

Plus Apple is certainly not in a rush to lose that MFi money.