• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
anyone tried it? It takes some time to scan things right, as you don't see the screen doing so, but it's pretty damn amazing.

I know this isn't the first time something like this got released, but it's in my phone, inside my pocket, without extra hardware.
Only stumbled across it on reddit today, I think it was released some time ago.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/capture-3d-scan-anything/id1444183458?mt=8

a quick scan of my desk right now... still trying to figure out how it works best.

Last edited:

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just tried it and not seeing what you're scanning kinda sucks, but pretty cool still. Will play with it some more!

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just tried it with my water bottle, hard to actuate because it uses the 'front facing camera", so no preview of what you are looking at, but pretty cool.

It's amazing that we have what is basically a miniaturised Kinect on our phones that we use all day without even thinking about it.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
On Android I've been using 3D Scanner for ARCore with my Pixel 2XL but it's also kinda buggy, though it's constantly being updated

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Autodesk have had something that does this on your phone for years now. Can't remember what it's called.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't see any real uses cases for this right now, either. But it's just really cool to see a 3D model building up over time in my hands.

I saw a teaser for mirror you can attach to your iPhone's front facing camer, to actually see the screen. Can't find it anymore though.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The best thing I managed to capture was my own face, and it still looks like garbage (it's not the subject matter!)

Not something I would want to send to anyone.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is cool. I've been wanting an app that could do this. Just need a rotating rig now.

Oct 25, 2017
S81bKlV.jpg

Huh. Neat.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a selfie or did someone else take the scan? Looks good!
Selfie.

Also, the App has a "flip to rear Camera Button" that tells you only the selfie cam has the depth sensors but they're working on 3D printable mirror attachments so you can scan stuff in a less awkward way.

There's actually a bunch of those printable models on thingiverse.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I believe this type of tech will bring investment into 3d printers which will change manufacturing the same way the mp3 changed the portable device game

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried it with my water bottle, hard to actuate because it uses the 'front facing camera", so no preview of what you are looking at, but pretty cool.

It's amazing that we have what is basically a miniaturised Kinect on our phones that we use all day without even thinking about it.
Sony and LG are producing Kinect cams for smartphones right now. Experimental groups can already buy and use new sensors and they are more precise than the kinect 2.
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201712/17-114E/index.html

SWoS

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Autodesk have had something that does this on your phone for years now. Can't remember what it's called.

Used to be called 123D Catch, now I think it's ReCap 360.

I'm assuming this tech is just using the same principle - photogrammetry - just using the video to create many still images.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photogrammetry

Edit: actually seems to be using the TrueDepth IR emitter, which is a pretty cool twist on the idea.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
Installed in a iPad pro, seems to work but don't know how to store or share , controls don't show up.