• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Preordered through Verizon, gonna switch back. They cancelled my order since they said they couldn't confirm something? Ugh. Guess I'll deal with them tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2017
When I trade in my old iphone to the Apple using the Apple/Citizen One program do I just need to trade in the phone and that's it? I don't need the box/cables or anything?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Best way to sell iPad and iPhone? I'm trying swappa but wondering how long that's even going to take

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Only Iphone that did sell out at Amazon Germany is the 11 Pro Max atm. Last year every preorder sold out after 1 day...

Jun 1, 2018
There's not a lot of difference between XS and 11 Pro... so if you're tight on money but like the XS more than the XR/11 LCD models because of the screen and telephoto lens, you should be ok with XS.

But if you can afford a big upgrade then the 11 Pro is most full featured
So another question... what about the XR and the 11? Found an okay deal for the XR

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
My taxes for the iPhone Upgrade Program pickup for Friday morning were charged last night and then my Watch pickup for Friday as well got charged.

its happening

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
I feel like such a money-wasting idiot for participating in the upgrade program. It's not that big an upgrade! But damned if I'm not excited for those 3 cameras, battery life, and Midnight Green.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like such a money-wasting idiot for participating in the upgrade program. It's not that big an upgrade! But damned if I'm not excited for those 3 cameras, battery life, and Midnight Green.

Same. I can't believe there are people that do it in perpetuity.

They're getting me for a year though. I wanna be able to upgrade next year if we really get 5G and USB-C.

Finally caved and decided to move on from my 7+. The battery is getting pretty bad, and I could use the Pro Max's camera for some passion projects. Friday can't get here fast enough.

My taxes for the iPhone Upgrade Program pickup for Friday morning were charged last night and then my Watch pickup for Friday as well got charged.

its happening

Weird, I was charged on Friday after preordering. Is that normal?

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how it's money wasting (the program) when it's a zero interest loan that doesn't cost anymore than someone buying the phone outright.

I think the money waste isn't the program, it's the idea of maybe not holding onto a phone for more than 2 years is what you meant.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Same. I can't believe there are people that do it in perpetuity.

They're getting me for a year though. I wanna be able to upgrade next year if we really get 5G and USB-C.

Finally caved and decided to move on from my 7+. The battery is getting pretty bad, and I could use the Pro Max's camera for some passion projects. Friday can't get here fast enough.

Weird, I was charged on Friday after preordering. Is that normal?
Many people got charged right after preorder but I did not. No idea why mine was slow to charge to my card.
Not sure how it's money wasting (the program) when it's a zero interest loan that doesn't cost anymore than someone buying the phone outright.

I think the money waste isn't the program, it's the idea of maybe not holding onto a phone for more than 2 years is what you meant.
It's a waste because you never own the phone outright if you stay on the program, so you never recover any value from reselling or trading in the phone. People who buy the phone resell them for hundreds, thus not really paying the full price over a year or two. Upgrade Program means after two years you've paid for a whole phone and never recover any of that.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I always sell last year's phone and then pay off the rest of the phone. Then I start new with the new phone. I didn't need this upgrade, and I know next year will have good upgrades that I might do the same... lol, I am bad.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just my opinion, but you're perpetually paying (interest free payments) for a phone you never own. And I'm not the type who feels the need to upgrade every year.

This is actually the first time I'm not buying the phone outright.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So another question... what about the XR and the 11? Found an okay deal for the XR
Almost the only single tangible difference an XR user would notice on the standard 11 would be the ultrawide camera. Beyond that, everything is internal, and probably wouldn't be any upgrade to 95% of casual users. If a wider camera is that important to you, go for 11. If not, the XR is almost the exact same experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Many people got charged right after preorder but I did not. No idea why mine was slow to charge to my card.

It's a waste because you never own the phone outright if you stay on the program, so you never recover any value from reselling or trading in the phone. People who buy the phone resell them for hundreds, thus not really paying the full price over a year or two. Upgrade Program means after two years you've paid for a whole phone and never recover any of that.
You do own the phone after the two years. You pay the amount and it's yours. You aren't forced to upgrade ever year. You can then sell it or trade it in. Likewise, after 6 months, you can buy the phone outright so you can essentially do that earlier if you want.

I don't think you understand the program. I have an iPhone XS Max on the program from last year. I could pay it off right now and resell it just like any person who bought it day one last year. I could have done this 6 months ago. I can still own my phone 12 months from now to sell it as well.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
You do own the phone after the two years. You pay the amount and it's yours. You aren't forced to upgrade ever year. You can then sell it or trade it in. Likewise, after 6 months, you can buy the phone outright so you can essentially do that earlier if you want.

I don't think you understand the program. I have an iPhone XS Max on the program from last year. I could pay it off right now and resell it just like any person who bought it day one last year. I could have done this 6 months ago. I can still own my phone 12 months from now to sell it as well.
Those are options in the program, but the purpose of the program is to be able to get the yearly upgrade... it's a program for upgrading, not just to buy the phone... hence the name

I'm in the program. I'm well aware you could buy the phone, but that's not what the upgrade path to stay in the program works like.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We understand the program. And I understand that you own the phone after two years and don't have to upgrade.

I was talking specifically about people who are on the program in perpetuity so that they can upgrade every year (which is truthfully the point of the program, hence the name).

Like, do what makes you happy, and I'm sure there are a ton of people for whom that makes a ton of sense, it just doesn't for me, personally. But it's a great option to have, which is why I'm taking advantage now, when I needed to upgrade but am really looking forward to next year as a potential paradigm shift for the iPhone.

Oct 25, 2017
My argument above is someone called it a "money wasting program" when the issue isn't the "program" as it costs zero extra dollars. The issue is the ideal that a user is paying half the price of a phone each year. The flip side is that you are guaranteeing yourself half the value of your phone each year and not having to do that via third party sellers or private sales.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
My phone is now in China! The apple store app doesn't say it has shipped, but it certainly is moving around lol.

If you ordered through the apple store for delivery, you can find your tracking number already.

Go to UPS.com and search by reference
Enter in your phone number
Enter in your country and zip code
Boom! It shows up.

Oct 25, 2017
My phone is now in China! The apple store app doesn't say it has shipped, but it certainly is moving around lol.

If you ordered through the apple store for delivery, you can find your tracking number already.

Go to UPS.com and search by reference
Enter in your phone number
Enter in your country and zip code
Boom! It shows up.
Don't even need country/zip code :P

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My argument above is someone called it a "money wasting program" when the issue isn't the "program" as it costs zero extra dollars. The issue is the ideal that a user is paying half the price of a phone each year. The flip side is that you are guaranteeing yourself half the value of your phone each year and not having to do that via third party sellers or private sales.

It costs extra dollars in the sense that you're buying a new phone every year.

That's the money wasting we were talking about.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the same problem as someone who buys a phone every year. Again, not so much the program being money wasting but more so the person who wants to upgrade each year :P

You're arguing semantics. Nobody claimed you were paying more money through the program than you would otherwise. It's very concept is money wasting (if you think buying a new phone + Apple Care every year is a waste of money, which I do).

Oct 25, 2017
You're arguing semantics. Nobody claimed you were paying more money through the program than you would otherwise. It's very concept is money wasting (if you think buying a new phone + Apple Care every year is a waste of money, which I do).
I think we are just arguing different definitions is all of what a "money wasting program" is. No worries :)

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Got mine ordered, but not until last night. But I got Oct 2-8 delivery, so that's not too bad.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think I can actually check estimated delivery date here in Canada, but I have a feeling the midnight green ones are gonna ship late

Nov 6, 2017
I'm doing the iPhone Upgrade Program this year as I have the last two years, but this is the first year that the phone will be shipping to my house. How do I go about providing Apple my current phone? Do they ship the new phone with a trade in box?

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm doing the iPhone Upgrade Program this year as I have the last two years, but this is the first year that the phone will be shipping to my house. How do I go about providing Apple my current phone? Do they ship the new phone with a trade in box?

They send a trade in box by itself. It only fits the phone itself. So you just remove the phone from iCloud and Find My, stick it in the foam sleeve, slide it in the box, drop it at the package carrier, and wait a few days to get an email.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Mine is in preparing to ship, I wonder if they need authorized signer. I might have to get UPS to send it to a local store.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What cases are you guys looking at? Im probably gonna grab the black leather one for my 11 pro max. I considered the folio as ive wanted a phone case/wallet hybrid for quite some time but i think they are downright ugly

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
What cases are you guys looking at? Im probably gonna grab the black leather one for my 11 pro max. I considered the folio as ive wanted a phone case/wallet hybrid for quite some time but i think they are downright ugly
I always buy an Apple Leather case but this year bought Apple Clear Case because I think the Silver Pro Max is so beautiful.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad my apartment complex signs for packages for us, and throws them in an amazon hub locker so we can collect them at our leisure.

I hope I get mine early. Only happened once before, with my iPhone 4.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Glad my apartment complex signs for packages for us, and throws them in an amazon hub locker so we can collect them at our leisure.

I hope I get mine early. Only happened once before, with my iPhone 4.
Apple seems to have cracked down on it after iPhone 4. I got iPhone 4 a day early and never again since. Seems other forums concur.

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017

That is correct, though linked to the issue: I would save money and many of Earth's resources by holding onto my phone for much longer.