• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/14/exploding-iphone/

iphone_x_explodes_us_twitter_1542185126773.jpg

An iPhone X has apparently exploded in the US after being updated to iOS 12.1 on Wednesday. This development comes in from the city of Federal Way, Washington in the US where a user claims that his 10-month old iPhone X started emitting smoke and eventually exploded after it was successfully updated to iOS 12.1

It's not the first time we've heard of an exploding iPhone. There have been a numberof iPhone fires over the years, and the nature of lithium battery fires is that they can be both very sudden and extremely fierce, meaning that the 'exploding' terminology is understandable.

Apple offered its response on Twitter:

That's definitely not expected behavior. DM us, so we can look into this with you.

Careful out there folks, maybe call the bomb squad before you upgrade next.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So far, it's just an isolated incident. If this becomes widespread however, this can be very bad.

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something similar happened to my buddy last week with his 7plus. It was in his pocket and started to get really hot and partly burnt through his pants. He took it out and had to through it out cause it got so hot, he said it was smoking. Didnt explode though

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
One exploding phone does not a news story make. This is clearly an isolated incident, my XS Max has yet to blow up.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP turn the fear mongering down a tad. One phone in the millions sold is hardly something to be concerned about. There are a number of factors at play here this is hardly the Note 7 all over again.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Damn, Apple is not satisfied with just slowing the performance of past iPhone models through their updates, they now make them burn and explode too.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, trolls really have to stop trying to derail threads by making them about me and not the topic at hand.

Apple has the hottest phone out on the market now with this 12.1 update :p

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*gulp*
In all seriousness, I use an iPad charger to charge my phone and while it makes me a little nervous, I never leave it on overnight and only as long as it takes to charge my phone.
You should be fine, assuming lightning has power adjustment capabilities like USB C.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling, platform warring. Previous infractions for similar behaviour.
Why am I not surprised this is a TI92 thread. Heh.

Sounds like a faulty battery to me.
CPU was too advanced, grew a mind of its own. Wanted to end it's existential dread of being stuck in an Apple device....!

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
It's only one.... Why make a fuss out of this. Lol

When it reaches Note 7 levels of boom, then do it. (Or when it's actually confirmed to be a software/hardware error causing it).