• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
So my parents are looking for an easy to sync media player that will sync with music purchased from the iTunes store. They want something small, and mentioned their friend has an iPod nano and would like one like that... one problem though. Apple no longer makes the iPod nano!

Any suggestions for a MP3 player that syncs directly to iTunes (does one even exist?). This is for my older parents that are not too good with technology. Reason i am mentioning iTunes is because they own a MacBook pro.

Thanks!

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To those saying itouch and iphone...

The nano is a fraction of the size and weight of the thing youre suggesting and the stripped down ui was faster and easier to use. We want the form factor of the nano... a currently underserved niche. Not a phone.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
To those saying itouch and iphone...

The nano is a fraction of the size and weight of the thing youre suggesting and the stripped down ui was faster and easier to use. We want the form factor of the nano... a currently underserved niche. Not a phone.

Apparently it's not all that underserved seeing as how Apple killed it off. Plus it's not like existing Nanos just stopped working with iTunes.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
iPod touch are already pretty tiny.
Not so small. iPhone but still
zMis4ia.jpg

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I bought a new iPod Nano 16GB from Walmart last October. Some stores may still have them.

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
That's a product segment I haven't looked into in a very long time. But seeing as how it appears to have been entirely stagnant since then, I feel pretty comfortable pointing you toward the Sansa Clip line of players. That's what I (mostly) used before smartphones swallowed everything.

The UI is distinctly dated, but I suspect that's the norm -- it's not like anyone's throwing real R&D money into "dedicated MP3 players". The current ones support AAC files natively, and file management is pretty much drag-n-drop. You can pick them up at the local Best Buy (among other places, I'm sure), and they're dirt cheap at $30-$60. Looks like the cheap one -- the Sansa Clip Jam -- supports microSD storage. Meanwhile, the "expensive" one -- the Sansa Clip Sport Plus -- has built in Bluetooth, but is limited to the built-in 16gb of storage. Supposedly there's a non-Plus version of that which trades the Bluetooth for a microSD slot, but Best Buy doesn't stock it... *shrug*.

Outside of that, you're probably only going to run into a mix of overpriced "audiophile" bait, and Alibaba landfill runoff. It's just not a healthy market.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
I'm with you OP

iPod Nano is the perfect music form factor device for me. Running, working out...I can not tolerate my iPhone size/weight. So touch is pretty much a no go.

Have had to buy 3 nanos in the last 10 years...getting harder :(

The whole reason I clicked on this thread is funnily enough, 2 days ago I dropped my nano in my martini. Now, the FireWire cable doesn't read when connected.

You can still get some from amazon (if you aren't too picky about color)...if you live in the US?

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Genera...d=1532155437&sr=8-1&ref=mp_s_a_1_1&th=1&psc=1

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
If they're using a smart phone, I suggest going with that and Spotify instead. It syncs to all of your devices.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I'm with you OP

iPod Nano is the perfect music form factor device for me. Running, working out...I can not tolerate my iPhone size/weight. So touch is pretty much a no go.

Have had to buy 3 nanos in the last 10 years...getting harder :(

The whole reason I clicked on this thread is funnily enough, 2 days ago I dropped my nano in my martini. Now, the FireWire cable doesn't read when connected.

You can still get some from amazon (if you aren't too picky about color)...if you live in the US?

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Generation-MKMX2LL-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B018F7WEFS?keywords=ipod+nano&qid=1532155437&sr=8-1&ref=mp_s_a_1_1&th=1&psc=1
Could get a Watch with music built in?

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I have a Shangling M0 and it's the best thing ever.

Charges on USB C
Doubles as a usb DAC
Amazing battery
Bluetooth
Doesn't a native OS

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe since I turn Bluetooth off, screen as 30% brightness with screen off after 5 seconds with the black background?

It's been stellar but I agree with you "for it's size."

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
How much storage space does an Iwatch have for music?
2GB, at least on the series 2 that I have. It will only sync with items from iTunes or AppleMusic, so no Spotify or anything. Of course, that was also the case with the Nano as far as I remember.

You just pick a playlist you want on your watch and it syncs it over. It is very convenient when going for a walk or run. I just need to take a house key, bluetooth earbuds, and my watch. Nothing weighing me down at all.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Just get a used iPod nano. It may be old, but it works well. If they're used to and happy with iTunes, ignore the suggestions to abandon it for other methods.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I have a very old second Gen Ipod nano which I keep connected to my car most of the time. It still works great and still holds a charge for the few times a year I take it out of the car and use it as an mp3 player. I got it on ebay a very long time ago.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
Not a lot. 4gb I think?

You are supposed to just download some playlists to go run with it.

2GB, at least on the series 2 that I have. It will only sync with items from iTunes or AppleMusic, so no Spotify or anything. Of course, that was also the case with the Nano as far as I remember.

You just pick a playlist you want on your watch and it syncs it over. It is very convenient when going for a walk or run. I just need to take a house key, bluetooth earbuds, and my watch. Nothing weighing me down at all.

Could get a Garmin Watch? They have storage too. If you need for gym and that how much music do you need on thereV

I use it for everything...gym, running, biking, on set at work, driving, in line...I fill it with a radio show and podcasts. I like to put a wide variety of music on there cause I don't want the same music for the same thing.

Syncing and shuffling music/shows in and out of a 4gb drive every day is just not something I'm willing to do lol.

Plus I hate wearing stuff on my hands and wrists :P

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So my parents are looking for an easy to sync media player that will sync with music purchased from the iTunes store. They want something small, and mentioned their friend has an iPod nano and would like one like that... one problem though. Apple no longer makes the iPod nano!

Any suggestions for a MP3 player that syncs directly to iTunes (does one even exist?). This is for my older parents that are not too good with technology. Reason i am mentioning iTunes is because they own a MacBook pro.

Thanks!

I saw this on slickdeals today and thought of this thread. Idk what price your looking at but here: https://slickdeals.net/f/11873407-s...al-audio-player-w-bluetooth-150-free-shipping