• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
(CNN)Iran's sole female Olympic medalist Kimia Alizadeh announced that she has permanently left her country for Europe.

"Let me start with a greeting, a farewell or condolences," the 21-year--old wrote in an Instagram post explaining why she was defecting. "I am one of the millions of oppressed women in Iran who they have been playing with for years."

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/01/12/middleeast/iran-kimia-alizadeh-defects/index.html

Ouch. Harsh. Clearly no love lost there. Funny how we hear in the west on the media how Iran is becoming much more liberal, but when you hear about personal experiences like this it doesn't seem to be the case.

edit- I meant to say Female in the topic.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Inappropriate Sexist Objectification and Thread Derailment in a Sensitive Thread; Numerous Prior Infractions

Last edited:

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
There's something about Iranian women, they are so beautiful.
"I wasn't important to them. None of us mattered to them, we were tools," Alizadeh added, explaining that while the regime celebrated her medals, it criticized the sport she had chosen: "The virtue of a woman is not to stretch her legs!"

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
There's something about Iranian women, they are so beautiful.
The-Big-Lebowski-WTF-Gif.gif

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
i know we are piling on the poster, but can we move on from piling on him and reflect towards the OP of the post?

I assume she arranged some sort of visa or amnesty? How does migration work in cases like this I wonder.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good for her! I hope her family is not punished as the Iranian government has shown itself to be quite shitty to those who rebuke it (slaughtering protesters, for example).

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
"I wasn't important to them. None of us mattered to them, we were tools," Alizadeh added, explaining that while the regime celebrated her medals, it criticized the sport she had chosen: "The virtue of a woman is not to stretch her legs!"

lol fucking losers

32X4LYF

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Poster No. 2 really laid a track for us here... Holy shit.
The woman on wiki to get back into the realms of sanity:

Is "defection" the right word though? My mom and I left Russia in the mid-90s cuz it was shit and we "immigrated". Kimia wasn´t part of the government or anything.
The official meaning is:
abandon one's country or cause in favor of an opposing one.

Perhaps the fact that she competed for them makes it more appropriate than if she were a standard citizen?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iran and Saudi need to chill out. Hopefully once the old men pass on, youth seem to be far more progressive.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Good for her! Hope she can build a new life where ever she decided to go next.

My female friend had nothing to say but good words of the people of Iran when she traveled there, but obviously it's not the same case with the oppressive government. Hope change will come somehow, preferably without a war.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, OP clearly set tone of the thread.

while I agree that the OP set the tone, the tone could change as more people enter the room and engage in discussion. Case in point, this thread. Other people have read the room and shat on the poster instead of engaging in the discussion set by the OP.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
But "Europe" -it doesn´t say where she went- isn´t "opposing" Iran kmfdmpig. Germany has an embassy there for example.

We aren´t at war with Iran. Thankfully. I don´t like CNN´s tone here. Not that I love Iran´s government or anything.

32X4LYF

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019
But it is and was that decades ago when compared to some neighboring states. Doesn´t make the country that liberal but still. Fair is fair.
skateboarding-in-iran-a-push-towards-the-west-507-1459972696.jpg

They allow women to SKATEBOARD?! Wow, that completely erases the consistent atrocities that Iran commits against it's own people, especially it's women. I'm sure the women living under a forced hijab rule are glad they are able to pop some sweet Ollie's. Just don't try to protedt for your rights, we all know what happens when you stand up for your rights in Iran...

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They allow women to SKATEBOARD?! Wow, that completely erases the consistent atrocities that Iran commits against it's own people, especially it's women. I'm sure the women living under a forced hijab rule are glad they are able to pop some sweet Ollie's. Just don't try to protedt for your rights, we all know what happens when you stand up for your rights in Iran...
People are really born into their generations.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
In Iran, women's rights in Iran are limited compared to those of women in most developed nations. The World Economic Forum's 2017 Global Gender Gap Report ranked Iran 140 out of 144 countries for gender parity. In 2017 in Iran, females comprised 19% of the workforce with seven percent growth since 1990.[4] In 2017, the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace, and Security (WPS) Index ranked Iran in the bottom tercile of 153 countries.[5] Compared to other South Asian regions, women in Iran have a better access to financial accounts, education, and cellphones.[5]:16 Iran was ranked 116 out of the 153 countries in terms of legal discrimination against women.[5]:16

Have fun with the sources. Not a great situation but it is what it is and things are factually getting better.

Edit: Iran really is South Asian. Look at other Asian nations when it comes to women´s rights.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Did the OP edit something out? I don't get how they set a tone that is remotely comparable to that pathetic first post.

Anyway back on topic, good for her. It's amazing how the government is getting roasted twice because of very long standing issues. That government needs to change years ago.

32X4LYF

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019
In Iran, women's rights in Iran are limited compared to those of women in most developed nations. The World Economic Forum's 2017 Global Gender Gap Report ranked Iran 140 out of 144 countries for gender parity. In 2017 in Iran, females comprised 19% of the workforce with seven percent growth since 1990.[4] In 2017, the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace, and Security (WPS) Index ranked Iran in the bottom tercile of 153 countries.[5] Compared to other South Asian regions, women in Iran have a better access to financial accounts, education, and cellphones.[5]:16 Iran was ranked 116 out of the 153 countries in terms of legal discrimination against women.[5]:16

Have fun with the sources. Not a great situation but it is what it is and things are factually getting better.

"Not a great situation but it is what it is"

--residentgrigo
2020, probably living in a modern western country experiencing freedoms Iranians would love to have

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's unfortunately probably better to be an asshole who accidentally shoots a civilian aircraft out of the sky than a woman, in Iran.